PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monster Houserule/Idea: Lair Traits

supergoji18
2016-04-13, 11:21 PM
5e gave us two unique features for monsters in the form of lair actions and legendary actions. They both add a new element to combat by giving monsters the ability to act outside of its turn in the initiative order, something previously unheard of. However, I've been thinking about having a new type of rule added for some creatures: lair traits.

Lair traits would be similar to lair actions in that they are only available to the creature while within its own lair, but rather than being some sort of attack or terrain altering effect, they would give the creature an extra trait or feature it can use. Here are some examples I thought of:
- Within the lair of a Mummy Lord, its connection to the necromantic powers that animate it are amplified. When subjected to necrotic damage, it instead regains hit points equal to the damage it would have take.
- A demon within its abyssal home is enhanced by the dark powers of the realm. It becomes immune to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons, and it gains immunity to the charmed and frightened conditions.
- A Kraken within its watery abode is resistant to cold damage, having grown accustomed to the chilling depths it calls home.

What do you think? It could be an interesting way to further enhance the deadliness of a creature within its lair, or it could be used to distinguish one creature of a certain species as special. I'd like to hear more opinions or ideas on this subject.

LordFluffy
2016-04-14, 12:54 PM
I like it.

How would you adjust XP?

supergoji18
2016-04-14, 01:05 PM
I like it.

How would you adjust XP?

Depends on what they get. If it's an extra immunity or resistance on an already high level creature, like the cold resistance on the Kraken, i'd probably just leave it as is. If it gives something more, i'd increase the CR by 1 to 2, like with the Mummy Lord.

And of course, i'd make the loot the players get much better :smallwink: