PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Playable Races - Lungs?

Falcos
2016-04-14, 03:18 AM
Hi all! Me again.

So I'm currently building a character based on the Shen PrC from DragMag.

I want to use the Dragon Shen, and, thematic weirdo that I am, I'm wanting to use a race that is thematically appropriate.

So I looked over the dragons from OA, the Lungs.

And I'm wondering, which Draconic races/base classes from the more western-oriented settings could use the eastern Lungs from OA easily?

As an example of what I mean, most dragon-based races/classes/etc have breath weapons, but breath weapons are not universal amongst the Lungs. So what draconic things from the western settings are compatible with the set of abilities that Lungs have? What advice does the playground give on this topic?

Chewychunga
2016-04-14, 03:19 AM
dragonwrought kobold?

Fizban
2016-04-14, 03:47 AM
Races of the Dragon has abilities for Half-Dragons in almost every type, including the lung dragons. For other templates or classes you're basically outta luck unless you pick a lung dragon that does have a breath weapon. Lung wang and Ti'en lung have cone of steam and cone of fire, perfectly normal. You an also fluff a Li lung's roar into a sonic breath weapon, maybe even a Tun mi lung's wind into an untyped effect like the Cyclonic Blast spell.

Dragonfire Adept has fire breath at 1st, as well as access to a couple weak roar and wind invocations. Warlocks can replace Fiendish Resilience with Fiendish Flamewreath from PHB2, which does some retaliatory fire damage that bears a slight resemblance to the Water Fire ability of the Shen lung and Pan lung.

I don't know about this Shen PrC, but it's likely it doesn't combo with any existing dragon-based classes anyway. There aren't any draconic races with serious abilities other than Half-Dragon and Dragonborn, unless you want monsters, but none of those are going to be lung-like. You'd be best off just making whatever you want yourself.