PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Abillity Damage

theboss
2016-04-14, 06:50 AM
Hi there playground,
In the last session i got beaten up with a 1st level spell (Ray of Enfeeblement) :smallannoyed: Edit: It wasnt only one ray, it was combination of maximize spell and he spilted it into 2 rays......
I know Death Ward negates abillity damage, energy drain, death effects but continuous Death Ward is super expensive and i cannot get it yet, so my question is there anything that negates only abillity damage and this alone, so it wont be that expensive?
And if so, where can i find it? If not, how much would it cost?

Thanks in Advance!

Necroticplague
2016-04-14, 06:56 AM
Hi there playground,
In the last session i got beaten up with a 1st level spell (Ray of Enfeeblement) :smallannoyed: Edit: It wasnt only one ray, it was combination of maximize spell and he spilted it into 2 rays......
I know Death Ward negates abillity damage, energy drain, death effects but continuous Death Ward is super expensive and i cannot get it yet, so my question is there anything that negates only abillity damage and this alone, so it wont be that expensive?

Thanks in Advance!

Being undead stops abilitiy damage, and can be gotten with an LA 0 template.

theboss
2016-04-14, 07:00 AM
Being undead stops abilitiy damage, and can be gotten with an LA 0 template.

What's the source of this template? Can you give me the URL please?

Cwymbran-San
2016-04-14, 07:03 AM
Monstrous Manual would be the first place to look. Or DMG IIRC.

Necroticplague
2016-04-14, 07:06 AM
What's the source of this template? Can you give me the URL please?

Libris Mortis, the template's called Necropolitan.

EDIT: hold on a second, ray of enfeeblement does even cause ability damage. It causes a penalty to strength (which is different in several way, including that it wears off when the duration of the spell's over and doesn't stack with itself if it's from the same source).

Kuu Lightwing
2016-04-14, 07:06 AM
Ray of Enfeeblement is not ability damage if I'm not mistaken. It also should not stack with itself as a penalty, so twinning or splitting it should not work well. Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm pretty new...

theboss
2016-04-14, 07:07 AM

I thought that's what you meant, but you are wrong. The cermony involves in losing a level...

EDIT:

Game Effect: Immediately upon opening its undead eyes, a new necropolitan loses a level as if the spell raise dead had been used on it and it was alive instead of animate. (If the subject has no levels to lose, it is simply destroyed.) It then also loses an additional 1,000 XP. If the loss of this much XP forces the necropolitan to lose another level, then it loses another level. No spell, not even restoration, can restore this lost XP. Petitioners may not spend experience points they don't have - if the level loss and the 1,000 XP cost drains a creature to 0 XP or less, it is destroyed, turned to dust, and can never he raised or revived again using any means. If the ritual is interrupted before it is completed, the petitioner is merely dead.

Necroticplague
2016-04-14, 07:11 AM
I thought that's what you meant, but you are wrong. The cermony involves in losing a level...
Here check it out yourself : [redacted]

A: Might wanna remove that link. Linking to copyrighted material beyond Fair Use tends to not go over so well here. That's why there are several useful sites that don't get named on this one.

B: When did I ever say it didn't? I said the template was LA +0, which is true (as base creature=+0). I never said it wouldn't put you back a level temporarily. I'm aware of the XP cost.

theboss
2016-04-14, 07:15 AM
A: Might wanna remove that link. Linking to copyrighted material beyond Fair Use tends to not go over so well here. That's why there are several useful sites that don't get named on this one.

B: When did I ever say it didn't? I said the template was LA +0, which is true (as base creature=+0). I never said it wouldn't put you back a level temporarily. I'm aware of the XP cost.

Removed it..
Ok, but that wasnt what i was searching for... Losing a level + 1,000Xp is like LA +1... Expect you can use this template after you're dead in the campigan...
So back to the original question :

is there anything that negates only abillity damage and this alone, so it wont be that expensive?

Morcleon
2016-04-14, 07:59 AM
A Rod of Bodily Restoration/Orb of Mental Renewal can both heal 12 ability damage per day (divided among 3 uses). However, they do nothing against Ray of Enfeeblement, which is an ability penalty, not ability damage.

The Great Wyrm
2016-04-14, 08:40 AM
Might wanna remove that link.

Now the link is in your quote. You might want to remove it :smallbiggrin:.

ComaVision
2016-04-14, 10:57 AM

EDIT: hold on a second, ray of enfeeblement does even cause ability damage. It causes a penalty to strength (which is different in several way, including that it wears off when the duration of the spell's over and doesn't stack with itself if it's from the same source).

Ray of Enfeeblement is not ability damage if I'm not mistaken. It also should not stack with itself as a penalty, so twinning or splitting it should not work well. Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm pretty new...

Your DM can't stack up the spell twice and (as far as I'm aware) there isn't a way to prevent ability penalties.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-14, 11:25 AM
Your DM can't stack up the spell twice and (as far as I'm aware) there isn't a way to prevent ability penalties.
There is, for strength and intelligence, for sure.

A chaotic evil soulborn is immune to any penalty, damage, or drain to their Strength.
The Amnizu (Fiendish Codex II) is immune to any effect that would damage, drain, or otherwise reduce its Intelligence score.

Not sure about the others.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-14, 11:26 AM
As others have stated Ray of Enfeeblement is an ability penalty, not Ability Damage. Only the higher penalty applies. The only ways I know to be immune are the spells Spell Immunity and Ray Deflection, and the Soulfire armor enhancement.

Ability Damage is easier to handle as there are dozens of ways to be immune. My personal favorite is the spell Sheltered Vitality.

LoyalPaladin
2016-04-14, 11:55 AM
the Soulfire armor enhancement.
This is my usual go to enhancement.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-14, 12:04 PM
It's very good, but also incredibly expensive. It is often not a viable option for characters to take until much higher levels.

Morcleon
2016-04-14, 12:13 PM
It's very good, but also incredibly expensive. It is often not a viable option for characters to take until much higher levels.

+1 Soulfire on your clothing only costs 25000 gp, which is fairly cheap for what it does.

untrippable
2016-04-14, 12:35 PM
These suggestions aren't exactly immunity, but might be useful.

Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest) feat. You'll get ability damage resistance, basically. Any time you take ability damage, it gets reduced by 1 + however much essentia you've invested in the Soulmeld. If you bind the soulmeld to your waist chakra, it also reduces ability drain. Bind to your heart chakra, you become immune to energy drain and death effects. Those require a couple high level feats or spells to access, though.

If you take a level in Binder, you can bind Naberius to get ability damage regeneration. Heals 1 point of ability damage per round, 1 point of ability drain per hour.

If you can get the ability to turn undead, you can get the Sacred Vitality feat. It lets you spend turn attempts to gain a minute of immunity to ability damage/drain and energy drain.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-14, 12:43 PM
+1 Soulfire on your clothing only costs 25000 gp, which is fairly cheap for what it does.

That's iffy. Nothing in the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingMagicArmor) says you can add armor enhancements to anything except masterwork armor. If your DM allows you to treat "masterwork" clothing as armor then more power to you. Either way 25,000 is a significant investment until you reach higher levels.

Arael666
2016-04-14, 02:31 PM
a single cast of lesser restoration removes all ability penalty

Morcleon
2016-04-14, 02:43 PM
That's iffy. Nothing in the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingMagicArmor) says you can add armor enhancements to anything except masterwork armor. If your DM allows you to treat "masterwork" clothing as armor then more power to you. Either way 25,000 is a significant investment until you reach higher levels.

Nah, it's just not in core.

Check out Magic Item Compendium on pages 233-234, particularly the table. There you'll see that it's perfectly within the rules to add an armor bonus to items in the Arms and Body slots, at standard prices. Arms are where bracers (like Bracers of Armor) go, and Body is where a robe (like Robe of the Archmagi) goes. Also see Arms and Equipment Guide on page 130 for the cost formula for adding armor enhancements other than simple numeric bonuses to Bracers of Armor (and, with the new Magic Item Compendium rules, Body slot items as well).