PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1033 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2016-04-14, 07:57 AM
New comic is up.

Breccia
2016-04-14, 07:59 AM
Far more effective than yelling "SONIC! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0345.html)"

Coliumbos
2016-04-14, 08:00 AM
... Wow that really IS an amazing band name.

CoffeeIncluded
2016-04-14, 08:01 AM
Plus they have a pretty good graphic for the band.

Edhelras
2016-04-14, 08:04 AM
Didn't Serini chose to guard Kraagor's Tomb with all kinds of monsters? Maybe this is the first instance of that? Maybe we're facing Monster Manual Galore as Team Evil, Lien&O'Chul and the OOTS are making their way towards the gate...

Also, are we seeing that the screech of that monster is breaking the ice?

Bluepaw
2016-04-14, 08:07 AM
Maybe Sonic Reptilian Unicorn and the Iron Golems could go on tour together.

Harye Sidur
2016-04-14, 08:08 AM
Not as great as "Sexy Shoeless God of War!" was.

DiMono
2016-04-14, 08:09 AM
Am I the only one who was actually slightly disoriented by the big panel? The vibrations are being shown in non-uniform directions.

Also, don't know whether this is intentional, but the spear is faintly visible coming through his head.

Goosefarble
2016-04-14, 08:09 AM
Didn't Serini chose to guard Kraagor's Tomb with all kinds of monsters? Maybe this is the first instance of that? Maybe we're facing Monster Manual Galore as Team Evil, Lien&O'Chul and the OOTS are making their way towards the gate...

Maybe, but I'd always assumed that it was just monsters, and this one is being ridden by some kind of tribal humanoid. Maybe just a random encounter...?

Peelee
2016-04-14, 08:10 AM
Holy crap that wall.

That thing is YUGE.

.......oh.. i am not a smart man.

Nazzo, the 102nd

My thoughts exactly. Maybe we are seeing the first line of defense. But I wonder who would be the rider. Seems too big to be Serini herself, but maybe someone that she hired?

Also, photoshop artists of this playground, please make an album cover and/or band logo for "Sonic Reptilian Unicorn".

Norrefve
I notice now that the rider has boots that are toed similarly to Redcloak's in the new art update.

Do goblins of some sort live way up at the North Pole?

That's what I thought as well.

Zyzzyva
2016-04-14, 08:11 AM
I like the Sapphire Guard's sense of priorities. "I swear to uphold the honour of the guard, to defend the lord and the city with my life, and to never, uh, go near, uh, Krugnor's Gate. What's a 'Krugnor'?"

"We'll tell you at level 5. Now read the rest of the list of gates you swear to never go near."

Agnostik
2016-04-14, 08:14 AM
Far more effective than yelling "SONIC! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0345.html)"
Argh, I came here to make that joke! :smallfurious: :smalltongue:

BowStreetRunner
2016-04-14, 08:16 AM
Am I the only one who was actually slightly disoriented by the big panel? The vibrations are being shown in non-uniform directions.

I think the visual on this panel is absolutely fantastic. Trying to look directly at the paladins the images really seem to vibrate. Very nice!!! :smallbiggrin:

Nemeean_lion
2016-04-14, 08:17 AM
So, now that we have a clear view of the monster, does anyone know what it actually is?

Psyren
2016-04-14, 08:21 AM
So, now that we have a clear view of the monster, does anyone know what it actually is?

And the rider, which doesn't appear to be a dwarf judging by the leg length and feet.

Vendanna
2016-04-14, 08:22 AM

Could it be a type of gem dragon. (that looks like the force breath attack?) those are inherently psionic I think.

Maybe someone else reveal more info about that. :)

TurboGhast
2016-04-14, 08:23 AM

My cursory google searches ("sonic reptilian unicorn (https://www.google.com/#q=sonic+reptilian+unicorn)","sonic reptilian unicorn d&d (https://www.google.com/#q=sonic+reptilian+unicorn+d%26d)") didn't show anything.

Novacat
2016-04-14, 08:23 AM
I love how Lien is showing that a negative view does not have to mean a negative attitude.

Hamste
2016-04-14, 08:25 AM
Huh, the eye holes are strange. They are completely round. Also interesting that the mask covers the entire face which suggest that maybe the rider doesn't have endure elements up or it has some sort of significance. I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear a mask with no nose or mouth holes in it unless it is needed to keep the heat in or was significant to you in some way.

Conte_Vincero
2016-04-14, 08:27 AM
Last comic, someone ID'd it as a Yrthak

Sesharan
2016-04-14, 08:28 AM
Behold the power of negative thinking! Also, what's with that... starbursty-thing they're standing on? Is it an area of melted snow, or an area where snow was blown away, or maybe cracking ice?

Kish
2016-04-14, 08:30 AM
(that looks like the force breath attack?)
Except that apparently it's sonic, not force.

(Also it apparently comes not from the mouth like a breath weapon but from a port on the forehead, above the horn.)

Hamste
2016-04-14, 08:32 AM

People mentioned last time it is a Yrthak and nothing here really changes that. As for if it has templates on it that is up in the air. Someone thought it might be a half Dragon but don't think anything confirms or denies that.

IntelectPaladin
2016-04-14, 08:32 AM
Isn't "sonic reptilian unicorn", Already taken as a band name?
No that I would know anything about punk rock, Of course,
But I felt the question needed to be asked at some point.

littlebum2002
2016-04-14, 08:35 AM
Also, don't know whether this is intentional, but the spear is faintly visible coming through his head.

I noticed this, too. O-Chul is about 5% transparent. I'm sure that has something to do with how this panel was drawn but it doesn't look intentional.

wRAR
2016-04-14, 08:38 AM
Can anyone please remind me what are the pals doing in the snow and where was their arc paused before continuing in the last strips?

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-14, 08:38 AM
Actually, multiple people did. Some kind of arctic yrthak, but a yrthak nonetheless.
I wonder if the other guardians are also monsters from D&D's weird bin. There's certainly no shortage of those.

Gotta love Lien's priorities.

Valynie
2016-04-14, 08:40 AM
I ressent the implication that a paladin can not play in a punk rock band :)

Kish
2016-04-14, 08:40 AM
Can anyone please remind me what are the pals doing in the snow and where was their arc paused before continuing in the last strips?
Lien just did. Check the strip's dialogue.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-14, 08:42 AM
"Now opening for The Raging Dryads, we have ... Sonic Reptilian Unicorn!"

From the front the rider does not appear to match any of the high priests very well.

"Because why would the number of people trying to kill us stay level when it could increase?" ought to be on a t-shirt. So let it be written, so let it be marketed.

IDrankWHAT
2016-04-14, 08:42 AM
Good to see a few strips that are not the OOTS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE OOTS but sometimes it not only breaks the monotony but leaves me looking forward to when the team comes back! That and these two were always my favorite of the Sapphire Guard, mostly because Lien has a shark as a Holy Mount and O'Chuul is the toughest Sucka Joe I've seen in a while!

wRAR
2016-04-14, 08:43 AM
Lien just did. Check the strip's dialogue.

That doesn't explain how did they get there.

hagnat
2016-04-14, 08:44 AM
it screams like banshee (the marvel character)
it flies like banshee
it lives in cold places like a banshee (the irish mythic creature)

i henceforth shall name you... TIM

littlebum2002
2016-04-14, 08:50 AM
That doesn't explain how did they get there.

They rode Lien's shark, which made O'Chul visibly uncomfortable due to his bad history with sharks.

Deepbluediver
2016-04-14, 08:50 AM
As stated, the Paladins were on their way to check on Kradgar's (Krodar? Kragnar? whatever his name was the dwarf) gate. Way way way back after Roy was first brought back to life, he, Hailey, O-Chul and Lord Hinjo held a war-council to sort out a plan of action.

While the OotS went to the gate in the desert because that's the one Xykon was going to be closest to "next"according to the oracle, the paladins went to check out this gate in case the Oracle was wrong or something else had happened. They are/were under orders to remain strictly reconnaissance, since Roy didn't think O-Chul would survive a third fight with Xykon all on his own.

That's everything as far as I remember it, whatever I've got wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

TheFirstStraw
2016-04-14, 08:58 AM
Holy crap that wall.

That thing is YUGE.

I did the same thing as I was half-scrolled. Clearly GoT is on our collective minds.

foobar1969
2016-04-14, 09:00 AM
Links for reference:
O'Chul and Lien's plans: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html
Yrthak: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/yrthak.htm

Blue-gray is a non-standard coloration, indicating either a cross-breed or a variant (water, arctic, or similar).

The rider is at least 8 feet tall, with long hair, clawed boots, an amulet and a belt pouch. Hey, CSI, zoom and enhance:
http://s23.postimg.org/mj9szf66z/1033_rider.png
I still say the red stripes (symbolic bloody claw marks) match the ones on the high priest of Fenrir's face.

Kish
2016-04-14, 09:01 AM
I did the same thing as I was half-scrolled. Clearly GoT is on our collective minds.
Never having seen the GoT television show, can I get an explanation of what this is about?

Dracon1us
2016-04-14, 09:02 AM

It's Tarquin

Shining Wrath
2016-04-14, 09:03 AM
... SNIP ...

I think so, which may be part of how it hunts - break the ice below victims, let them freeze / drown, swoop down on the helpless victim.

yrthak (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/yrthak.htm)

Yrthak click to see monster
Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 12d10+36 (102 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 18 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+25
Attack: Bite +15 melee (2d8+5) or sonic lance +12 ranged touch (6d6)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (2d8+5) and 2 claws +13 melee (1d6+2); or sonic lance +12 ranged touch (6d6)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Sonic lance, explosion
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., immunities, vulnerability to sonic
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +5
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +12, Move Silently +10
Feats: Endurance, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Snatch
Environment: Temperate mountains
Organization: Solitary or clutch (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Often neutral
Advancement: 13-16 HD (Huge); 17-36 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

A yrthak is blind. It senses sound and movement by means of a special organ on its long tongue. It emits powerfully focused beams of sound from the protrusion on its head. The creature is a yellowish-green color, with the wings and fin being more yellow and the head and body more green. The teeth are yellow.

A yrthak is about 20 feet long, with a wingspan of 40 feet. It weighs about 5,000 pounds.

Despite their intelligence, yrthaks do not speak.
Combat

A yrthak prefers to attack from the air, strafing the ground with sonic attacks or snatching up and dropping prey.
Sonic Lance (Su)

Once every 2 rounds, a yrthak can focus sonic energy in a ray up to 60 feet long. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 6d6 points of damage to a single target.
Explosion (Su)

A yrthak can fire its sonic lance at the ground, a large rock, a stone wall, or the like to create an explosion of shattered stone. This attack deals 2d6 points of piercing damage to all within 10 feet of the effect’s center. This counts as a use of the sonic lance attack and thus is usable only once every 2 rounds, and never on the round following a sonic lance attack.
Blindsight (Ex)

A yrthak can ascertain all foes within 120 feet. Beyond that range it is considered blinded. Yrthaks are invulnerable to gaze attacks, visual effects of spells such as illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight. A yrthak whose sense of hearing is impaired is effectively blinded, treating all targets as having total concealment.
Immunities

Yrthaks have immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
Skills

Yrthaks have a +4 racial bonus on Listen checks.

Note that the D20SRD version inhabits temparate mountains, so this is a Burlew Homebrew created because Lien and O-Chul need tougher foes than they would normally be prepared for. Otherwise Lien will be disoriented.

Aquatosic
2016-04-14, 09:04 AM
these two are the most adorable friends. I love their dynamic

Dracon1us
2016-04-14, 09:06 AM
awesome mount+ theatrical grand entrance = Tarquin

the rugged look is from the desert journey. even a bad guy can have the "crossing the desert" moment

Deepbluediver
2016-04-14, 09:06 AM
Links for reference:
Thanks. That was exactly the page I was thinking of, but I was being to lazy to go and find it.

GM_3826
2016-04-14, 09:11 AM

the rugged look is from the desert journey. even a bad guy can have the "crossing the desert" moment

If he is Tarquin, he is going to die in the OOTS equivalent of five minutes. Which, in real time, is about five months.

Malfarian
2016-04-14, 09:12 AM
Tonight Only

Sonic Reptilian Unicorn

Opening for

Sexy Shoeless Gods of War!

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 09:14 AM
Great comic

What monster is that?!

JSSheridan
2016-04-14, 09:14 AM
Thanks Giant!

Lkctgo
2016-04-14, 09:20 AM
Given that Kraagor died during the creation of the Gate, why would Serini design his gate to guard against paladins!

Kantaki
2016-04-14, 09:21 AM
I agree with Lien, "Sonic Reptilian Unicorn" is a great name for a band.:smallbiggrin:

The comments in the final panel are good too. Very... adventurer.

The sonic reptilian unicorn (or yrthak, but thats less fun) and its rider look impressive. And I'm so grateful I can't hear that attack. That has to be painful.

littlebum2002
2016-04-14, 09:25 AM
Holy crap that wall.

That thing is YUGE.

Never having seen the GoT television show, can I get an explanation of what this is about?

There is a ginormous Wall in GoT
https://patricksponaugle.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/game-of-thrones-the-wall.jpg

Apparently the "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" in this strip looks like a wall if you scroll fast enough. And, if it were a wall, the size and color would make it very similar to the GoT Wall.

One Skunk Todd
2016-04-14, 09:31 AM
O'chul does not have a weapon? Or it's not drawn until it's drawn?

Peelee
2016-04-14, 09:32 AM
https://patricksponaugle.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/game-of-thrones-the-wall.jpg

Apparently the "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" in this strip looks like a wall if you scroll fast enough. And, if it were a wall, the size and color would make it very similar to the GoT Wall.

Good to know. Because I, too, have never seen nor read Game of Thrones (I'd heard about the wall, but never seen it. Nice imagery there).

But yeah, it looked like a frozen wall at first, slightly obstructed by the snow and mist.

And it wasn't scrolling fast so much as it was not taking in all the detail at first read.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-14, 09:32 AM
Great comic

What monster is that?!

Mooted Extensively, leading option seems to be ... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20663852&postcount=42)

Kish
2016-04-14, 09:33 AM

Ah, thanks.

aurilee
2016-04-14, 09:34 AM
I still say the red stripes (symbolic bloody claw marks) match the ones on the high priest of Fenrir's face.

I thought of Fenrir's priest here as well. He also looks a little like the priest of the frost giant demigod with the horns.

Perhaps this is a frost giant riding an arctic yrthak?

The boots are also goblinoid, but I don't see why a giant couldn't have similar footwear.

Unless there are arctic goblins, and this is some sort of arctic goblin shaman?

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 09:35 AM
Mooted Extensively, leading option seems to be ... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20663852&postcount=42)

Good to know.

Gwynfrid
2016-04-14, 09:35 AM
The art for the sonic attack is fantastic. Kudos, Giant!

Here's hoping for a wallpaper image inspired by this...

gooddragon1
2016-04-14, 09:42 AM

I second this. Humans ride large horses. It makes sense that a large giant would ride a huge creature.

This is bad. It's mount can make ranged attacks at will and they can't retaliate. It'll be like a giant in a playground compared to the paladins.

littlebum2002
2016-04-14, 09:45 AM

I thought of Fenrir's priest here as well. He also looks a little like the priest of the frost giant demigod with the horns.

That's because the human brain is very excellent at finding similarities in unrelated data. It's called Apophenia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia).

If anything, our new antagonist looks more like the High Priest of Thrym (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1012.html) (as aurilee pointed out). At least they both have the same headgear and winter theme.

I second this. Humans ride large horses. It makes sense that a large giant would ride a huge creature.

This is bad. It's mount can make ranged attacks at will and they can't retaliate. It'll be like a giant in a playground compared to the paladins.

Does "Giant in a playground" have a meaning I'm not familiar with? I always thought it was an Enders Game reference.

gerryq
2016-04-14, 09:49 AM
Huh, the eye holes are strange. They are completely round. Also interesting that the mask covers the entire face which suggest that maybe the rider doesn't have endure elements up or it has some sort of significance. I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear a mask with no nose or mouth holes in it unless it is needed to keep the heat in or was significant to you in some way.

Maybe he's undead and thinks it looks cool.

I see the flying mount has been named. I was going to christen it the 'Narwheagle'.

Raazan
2016-04-14, 09:51 AM

The boots are also goblinoid, but I don't see why a giant couldn't have similar footwear.

Unless there are arctic goblins, and this is some sort of arctic goblin shaman?

I'm thinking Bugbear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bugbear.htm), a larger than normal goblinoid, and given that the normally 3 foot goblins are portrayed as human sized in this comic, bugbears could easily be pushing the limits of medium size.

Kantaki
2016-04-14, 09:52 AM
Does "Giant in a playground" have a meaning I'm not familiar with? I always thought it was an Enders Game reference.

I'm pretty sure it is a quote about the First Ones (Specifically about the Shadows and the Vorlons and how their "philosophical disagreement" affects the galaxy) from Babylon 5.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-14, 09:53 AM
Argh, I came here to make that joke! :smallfurious: :smalltongue:

Wow, me too

Hamste
2016-04-14, 09:55 AM
Maybe he's undead and thinks it looks cool.

I see the flying mount has been named. I was going to christen it the 'Narwheagle'.

Possible but cold undead have the tendency to be blue or pale white. The skin we saw is neither. Doesn't completely discount it but I don't think we have ever seen an undead with a natural skin color.

Dracarys
2016-04-14, 09:58 AM
nice effects!

Jay R
2016-04-14, 10:00 AM
Really nice artwork. The sonic attack is very clear and very striking.

The yrthak s really more of a sonic unicornate reptile, but that's not as good a name for a rock band.

Oh, Very well done. Clearly, his weapon isn't drawn yet.

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 10:00 AM
Maybe Lein's spear has returning?

Coat
2016-04-14, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking Bugbear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bugbear.htm), a larger than normal goblinoid, and given that the normally 3 foot goblins are portrayed as human sized in this comic, bugbears could easily be pushing the limits of medium size.

Interesting.

Because as far as I can recall, we haven't seen Bugbears so far in this comic (and they're totally my favourite Goblinoids).

And also, if you look at the CSI zoom in Foobar's post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20663830&postcount=39), those look an awful lot like mandibles poking out under the helmet to me. Which a bug (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0683.html)bear would clearly have. Because Wizards (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0322.html).

Shining Wrath
2016-04-14, 10:08 AM
Rich Burlew has explained the origin of "Giant in the Playground", but IIRC it was a nickname given to him on a board similar to this one where he kept on being the only adult in the room.

Uhtred
2016-04-14, 10:13 AM
One of the first hits I got for "yrthak" led me to the Pathfinder variant of the monster on their SRD, and they mention the "Boreal Yrthak," which lives in the arctic and possesses an electric aura that makes them difficult for prey to sense. "Frost Giant on Boreal Yrthak" just became my new favorite Frost Giant encounter, and I have a couple of the Tundra Scout minis that have them mounted on mammoths.

aurilee
2016-04-14, 10:17 AM
Interesting.

Because as far as I can recall, we haven't seen Bugbears so far in this comic (and they're totally my favourite Goblinoids).

And also, if you look at the CSI zoom in Foobar's post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20663830&postcount=39), those look an awful lot like mandibles poking out under the helmet to me. Which a bug (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0683.html)bear would clearly have. Because Wizards (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0322.html).

That looks more like hair sticking out than mandibles. They aren't symmetrical enough.

The mask definitely looks ceremonial, but it could also be to protect from the cold. The eye-holes might also be goggles/glasses to protect from the wind and snow-blindness. If that's the case, then it's more likely to be a bugbear or other goblinoid since frost giants wouldn't need any protection.

Pyrous
2016-04-14, 10:20 AM
What is 'Giant in the Playground'?

http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq16

Sir_Norbert
2016-04-14, 10:37 AM
Just a little thing that's been bugging me: how does one pronounce "yrthak"?

The y is followed by a consonant cluster, suggesting that it's to be interpreted as a vowel: "eer-thak" or "earth-ak" or perhaps "ire-thak".

Yet the SRD says a yrthak (not an), which is incompatible with any of the above. Of course, it's possible that one of them is correct and they got the grammar wrong.

Any ideas?

Yxylu
2016-04-14, 10:42 AM

One appeared in Start of Darkness, but it didn't have any lines or anything. I don't have my book with me, but I think it was in a crowd shot.

AmewTheFox
2016-04-14, 10:44 AM

I believe that it's been discussed that it falls into the same category of Elan and Belkar. Though, did we ever see him get a weapon?

Admittedly, it would be pretty hilarious for Taraquin to meet his end at the hands of secondary characters.

GM_3826
2016-04-14, 10:49 AM
Here's what happened to another villain not named 'Xykon" or "Hel". (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0981.html)

Coat
2016-04-14, 10:49 AM
That looks more like hair sticking out than mandibles. They aren't symmetrical enough.

I disagree, but I can totally see why you'd say that. I think the differences are because the head is turned towards the camera. However, they're certainly different to the bug slaver mandibles, which had the spiky bits on the inside, not the outside as here.

If it is hair, we're looking at very substantial sideburns, but no beard - if you draw a line between the mandibles/hair, it would project from under the mask, but there's nothing sticking out. Which is... a distinctive look (http://thehistoryofthehairsworld.com/burnside.jpg) (link is safe to view). But viable.

One appeared in Start of Darkness, but it didn't have any lines or anything. I don't have my book with me, but I think it was in a crowd shot.

I do. p37 is what you mean. From context, the goblinoid next to the lizardman, panel 2, is almost certainly a Bugbear. And interestingly, they do have some rather magnificent sidies. Hmmmm.

Bugbear is starting to look like a pretty good bet.

KillingAScarab
2016-04-14, 10:50 AM

Last comic, someone ID'd it as a YrthakI'm in the camp that it is a yrthak, although it is a non-standard yrthak. Now we know that it has a sonic attack which, unlike the standard sonic lance, can directly damage at least two creatures simultaneously. Normally it seems it would need to use explosion, which causes piercing damage by breaking the ground. On that note...

Also, are we seeing that the screech of that monster is breaking the ice?Either that, or it impacts the snow somehow. This would be a really poor place to find out you're standing on a sheet of ice over water.

I ressent the implication that a paladin can not play in a punk rock band :)Well, when your quest against evil and to uphold the law leaves you with enough time to also perform nightly, do let us know.

O'chul does not have a weapon? Or it's not drawn until it's drawn?It isn't shown until it has been drawn. I came back to the comic after a long hiatus without remembering this rule and people erm... enthusiastically reminded me.

The yrthak s really more of a sonic unicornate reptile, but that's not as good a name for a rock band.Well, if you can remove a word, you'll be getting closer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Youth).

Bulldog Psion
2016-04-14, 10:53 AM
Maybe it's pronounced "yer-thack," thus explaining "a" rather than "an."

I'll second "bugbear." I actually thought that prior to reading the thread, but someone beat me to mentioning it. Goblinoid feet, large size, shaggy ruff of hair around the face, beige hands. Sounds like a bugbear to me. :smallwink:

Leaving aside the decorations, that hood is probably quite practical. Can you imagine how searingly cold that arctic air is with the yrthak's speed thrown in?

Lhynard
2016-04-14, 10:59 AM
I think it's clear that the rider is a female, whatever race she is. (If her skin were green, I would have guessed Right-Eye's lost daughter.)

aurilee
2016-04-14, 10:59 AM
I disagree, but I can totally see why you'd say that. I think the differences are because the head is turned towards the camera. However, they're certainly different to the bug slaver mandibles, which had the spiky bits on the inside, not the outside as here.

If it is hair, we're looking at very substantial sideburns, but no beard - if you draw a line between the mandibles/hair, it would project from under the mask, but there's nothing sticking out. Which is... a distinctive look (http://thehistoryofthehairsworld.com/burnside.jpg) (link is safe to view). But viable.

It kinda just looks like he has long-ish (chin length or a bit longer) hair, and it's sticking out. At least, that's what my hair looked like at that length when I wore a touque, and the "mask" actually looks like it wraps around the head a bit and functions as a hat too. That would explain why you don't see the hair anywhere else on his head. I don't see why the hair would have to be sideburns.

I'm also convinced now that the "eye-holes" are actually glasses/goggles because upon closer inspection there's a small line between them.

Coat
2016-04-14, 11:03 AM
Well, when your quest against evil and to uphold the law leaves you with enough time to also perform nightly, do let us know.

Well, maybe performing nightly is the way you quest against evil and uphold the law? (http://shadowrun.gamepedia.com/Dietrich)

(I'm not so sure about the 'uphold the law' bit. In fact, generally speaking, isn't 'break the rules' a bit of a core part of the punk ethos?)

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 11:04 AM
Clearly it has to be somebody's mom (https://www.google.com/search?q=hiccups+mom&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjChseuwI7MAhXINiYKHYlmBY4Q_AUIBygB&biw=640&bih=280#imgrc=KgUBRbQo1OZKjM%3A)

Lordchoculla
2016-04-14, 11:07 AM
New comic is up.

Wonderful, thanks!

And... yay! New enemies :smallbiggrin:

Jay R
2016-04-14, 11:07 AM
... how does one pronounce "yrthak"?

"SON-ick rep-TIL-yuhn YOO-ni-KORN"

Elenna
2016-04-14, 11:13 AM
Admittedly, it would be pretty hilarious for Taraquin to meet his end at the hands of secondary characters.

I'm fully expecting him to die in some completely undramatic way at the hands of Amun-Zora and Ian Starshine (and Sabine? I think she joined them) and whatever rebellion they start, after which we get a one-sentence mention of his death and everyone proceeds to forget all about him.

Anarion
2016-04-14, 11:20 AM
I'm curious if this is building into a show off the Paladins sort of thing, or if it will be passing and then it back to other activities. Xykon is in sore need of screen time.

kiapet
2016-04-14, 11:23 AM
Wow. The sonic attack is drawn so you can feel it hit them. And is it me, or is O'Chul quicker to shake off its effects? Not sure if sonic attacks require saving throws, but it feels like a nice nod to his toughness.

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 11:55 AM
Wow. The sonic attack is drawn so you can feel it hit them. And is it me, or is O'Chul quicker to shake off its effects? Not sure if sonic attacks require saving throws, but it feels like a nice nod to his toughness.

Well O'Chul is probably at least a level or two higher than Lien...

Emperordaniel
2016-04-14, 11:57 AM
What is that thing?

Darth Paul
2016-04-14, 11:58 AM
I have 4 tickets to see "Sonic Reptilian Unicorns" live at Madison Square Gardens, I can't make it that night, I'm willing to let them go to whoever has the best story on why they deserve the free tickets...

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 12:08 PM
What is that thing?

General Consensus is... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20663852&postcount=42)

DaggerPen
2016-04-14, 12:10 PM
I may be super late, but do I spy goblin type boots on this new figure?

(Also, I continue to adore their banter. Best band name or best band name?)

Jasdoif
2016-04-14, 12:14 PM
Does "Giant in a playground" have a meaning I'm not familiar with? I always thought it was an Enders Game reference.It's a Bablyon 5 reference, according to the FAQ.

Wait....By any chance, are you in need of memory-boosting caffeine? <<;

Quibblicious
2016-04-14, 12:20 PM
Maybe Sonic Reptilian Unicorn and the Iron Golems could go on tour together.

I'm there if they do :smallbiggrin:

Quibblicious
2016-04-14, 12:25 PM
Isn't "sonic reptilian unicorn", Already taken as a band name?
No that I would know anything about punk rock, Of course,
But I felt the question needed to be asked at some point.

It's only mentioned here as a coherent name. There are references to a certain Hedgehog and a unicorn, but the name is otherwise unclaimed.

Therefore I claim it.

I need another guitar, a drummer, and a bass player.

Any volunteers?

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-14, 12:36 PM

We let them drum, mainly because they're the only ones with the discipline to actually maintain a beat.

Q

EccentricFellow
2016-04-14, 12:36 PM
A shame they do not have a halfling armed with snowballs in their number. The ensuing battle would be a comedic feast! Ahhh memories.

LordRahl6
2016-04-14, 12:37 PM
What is that thing?

I don't know if it the Yrthak or not, but its rider reminds me of Game of Thrones White Walkers, but that could just be the setting.:smallamused:

littlebum2002
2016-04-14, 12:42 PM

The y is followed by a consonant cluster, suggesting that it's to be interpreted as a vowel: "eer-thak" or "earth-ak" or perhaps "ire-thak".

Yet the SRD says a yrthak (not an), which is incompatible with any of the above. Of course, it's possible that one of them is correct and they got the grammar wrong.

Any ideas?

Maybe it's pronounced "yer-thack," thus explaining "a" rather than "an."

I have called it earth-ak, but with the "a" article I agree it must be "yer-thak". After all yerks had the "a" article as well.

What is 'Giant in the Playground'?

http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq16

It's a Bablyon 5 reference, according to the FAQ.

Wait....By any chance, are you in need of memory-boosting caffeine? <<;

Well yeah I knew that but I was wondering if it was a thing prior to Babylon 5 using it.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-14, 12:42 PM
Well, maybe performing nightly is the way you quest against evil and uphold the law? (http://shadowrun.gamepedia.com/Dietrich)

(I'm not so sure about the 'uphold the law' bit. In fact, generally speaking, isn't 'break the rules' a bit of a core part of the punk ethos?)

If there's a rule that you must break the rules a bit to be punk, then a paladin punk band breaks that rule. They stick it to the man by being the man, even when they are women.

Correct. Lien cries out in pain, O-Chul just flinches; and he does recover one frame faster.

EDIT:

Oh, and put me down for the "long shaggy hair not contained in mask" theory on the rider.

Killer Angel
2016-04-14, 12:51 PM
I don't know if it the Yrthak or not, but its rider reminds me of Game of Thrones White Walkers, but that could just be the setting.:smallamused:

It reminds me also "How to train your Yrthak". :smalltongue:

DaggerPen
2016-04-14, 12:54 PM

Any ideas?

I have called it earth-ak, but with the "a" article I agree it must be "yer-thak". After all yerks had the "a" article as well.

I'd been reading it as "yer-thak" as well.

Also, that bugbear theory isn't a bad one! (I'll confess that my mind also went "Redcloak's niece??" at the boots as well before I realized the hands weren't green. My guess as of last page would have been "warrior or barbarian from local Inuit nation/band" (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5auSGfgpCb6Zh9QKBl3.html), but those boots seem pretty nonhuman.)

aurilee
2016-04-14, 01:03 PM

I usually treat "yr" words with Welsh pronunciations (since that's the first language I think of when using y's like that), so I was saying it like "urr-thak". If there are multiple examples of "a" though, I suppose "yer-thak" or "yeer-thak" would be correct.

Also, did you mean "yeerks" or are "yerks" an actual thing/word?

Jasdoif
2016-04-14, 01:06 PM
Well yeah I knew that but I was wondering if it was a thing prior to Babylon 5 using it.Oh. Doesn't seem so; I haven't found any references to "giant in the playground" that aren't directly or indirectly related to this site/comic, or D&D, or Babylon 5. I suppose it's possible that Babylon 5 was itself referencing what you described in Ender's Game, but it seems the exact phrase originated in Babylon 5.

LordRahl6
2016-04-14, 01:07 PM
It reminds me also "How to train your Yrthak". :smalltongue:

Which gets to be doubly funny with the knowledge that Kit Harrington was the Villian in How to Train Your Dragon 2.:smalltongue:

(don't ask about Jon Snow, I don't want to talk about his death):smallfrown:

GregTD
2016-04-14, 01:16 PM

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yrthak), Yrthak have no feet, and it looks like I can see them right below the tail.

littlebum2002
2016-04-14, 01:16 PM
I usually treat "yr" words with Welsh pronunciations (since that's the first language I think of when using y's like that), so I was saying it like "urr-thak". If there are multiple examples of "a" though, I suppose "yer-thak" or "yeer-thak" would be correct.

Also, did you mean "yeerks" or are "yerks" an actual thing/word?

LOL it's been about 15 years since I read one of those books, I meant Yeerks.

Oh. Doesn't seem so; I haven't found any references to "giant in the playground" that aren't directly or indirectly related to this site/comic, or D&D, or Babylon 5. I suppose it's possible that Babylon 5 was itself referencing what you described in Ender's Game, but it seems the exact phrase originated in Babylon 5.

Considering the metaphor in Enders Game sounds totally different than the metaphor in Babylon 5, I think it's a coincidence.

I think this is one of those scenarios where I think something is ubiquitous because I'm familiar with it but it probably isn't. If I asked 10 people I know about the phrase "giant in the playground" probably all 10 would have no idea what it meant even though I'm very familiar with it at this point.

Lhynard
2016-04-14, 01:18 PM
(I'll confess that my mind also went "Redcloak's niece??" at the boots as well before I realized the hands weren't green.)

Yay, someone else thought along the same lines as I.

Peelee
2016-04-14, 01:25 PM
It's only mentioned here as a coherent name. There are references to a certain Hedgehog and a unicorn, but the name is otherwise unclaimed.

Therefore I claim it.

Any volunteers?

Q

Imean, it's not like only one band can be called something. There were a couple of English rock band in the late 60's called Earth. One of the Earth bands realized people were mistaking them for the other one at a gig one time, so they quickly changed their name to the first song on their lineup. It's a good thing they were opening with the song Black Sabbath, because N.I.B wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

8BitNinja
2016-04-14, 01:25 PM
LOL it's been about 15 years since I read one of those books, I meant Yeerks.

I read almost all of the Animorphs books as a kid, I remember that it was a book about 80's pop culture refrences, with a story about alien slugs thrown in on the side

Therefore I claim it.

Any volunteers?

Q

I'll be your bass player

If there's a rule that you must break the rules a bit to be punk, then a paladin punk band breaks that rule. They stick it to the man by being the man, even when they are women.

Is there such thing as paladin punk?

There is street punk, skate punk, art punk, cyberpunk, and even glam punk.

So why not?

Coat
2016-04-14, 01:44 PM
Also, that bugbear theory isn't a bad one! (I'll confess that my mind also went "Redcloak's niece??" at the boots as well before I realized the hands weren't green.

Bugbears, as per SoD, have a yellow face, about the same colour as sun-lit yellow sand - much yellower than hobgobs. Hands of the rider look a bit greyer than that to me... but are definitely a yellow hue, and (A) SoD reference is drawn with a different art style, (B) SoD has lines for hands, no colouration (colour is on face only, and armour), (C) this is heavily expanded, and a small patch of colour next to black lines which would tend to darken the colour as a compression artifact and (D) if the rider isn't wearing gloves, those hands are probably quite cold

So yeah, Bugbear is seeming pretty good odds to me.

Also, the girl behind the counter in my local chip shop is definitely Redcloak's niece

Quibblicious
2016-04-14, 01:48 PM

So why not?

I think it was called Punky Brewster...

Doc Filth
2016-04-14, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna hazard a guess that it's just a standard Yrthak with the Cold subtype. As for the horn? Perhaps that's tied on with a bit of string...:smallsmile:

8BitNinja
2016-04-14, 02:14 PM
Who has some ideas for Paladin Punk song titles?

Also, did Mr. Burlew see that we were talking about paladins and music last thread?

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 02:21 PM
According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yrthak), Yrthak have no feet, and it looks like I can see them right below the tail.

Well it is Wikipedia so clearly your eyes are broken and you are imagining feet where there are none.

RabanoDOOM
2016-04-14, 02:21 PM
This deserves to be its own webcomic, or at the very least, a book-exclusive mini-adventure. "The Adventures of O-Chul and Lien." I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

8BitNinja
2016-04-14, 02:25 PM
This deserves to be its own webcomic, or at the very least, a book-exclusive mini-adventure. "The Adventures of O-Chul and Lien." I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Get your pencils and paper, if Mr. Burlew won't make it, we need to be ready to :smallbiggrin:

foobar1969
2016-04-14, 02:28 PM
You want core ethos? O'Chul brings it PaladinCore, punk. BTW, this bit of lyrics fits the current situation startlingly well:

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and f*** my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white s*** up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge (https://www.google.com/search?q=minor+threat+straight+edge)!

NihhusHuotAliro
2016-04-14, 02:29 PM
O-Chul is now officially the greatest Punkladin.

Quibblicious
2016-04-14, 02:38 PM

And he has awesome album covers.

Agnostik
2016-04-14, 02:54 PM

Twelve Gods Save Lord Shojo
Order in the A.C.

Zonkerbl
2016-04-14, 02:56 PM
I want to go back and reread the O'Chul epic montage. Where does that start?

TheNecrocomicon
2016-04-14, 03:15 PM
I'm curious if this is building into a show off the Paladins sort of thing, or if it will be passing and then it back to other activities. Xykon is in sore need of screen time.

I figure it will probably be passing, but not in a "getting resolved rapidly" sort of way. I'd wager we have maybe one more strip (so a week) of building up to a cliffhanger of mortal peril for both paladins that may get resolved when we cut back to them in a couple dozen strips -- kind of like how Belkar was recently thrown off a mountain (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0996.html) and his fate wasn't even partially resolved until nineteen strips later (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1015.html).

Or of course they might just finish the fight right away, but that seems unlikely as, barring a fundamental change in circumstances, the yrthak under its rider's command can just spam ranged attacks all day against two paladins stuck on the ground and armed solely with melee weapons. Unless of course they can take cover in a cave or something sufficiently structurally sound (no pun intended) that forces the enemy to come to ground and actually get close to them.

I still think they're just facing an outer sentry of Serini's assorted guardians and this will just be a big (if painful) misunderstanding. Or more twisted yet, the paladins might take out the yrthak/rider and carry on but the loss of the patrol enables Xykon & Co. to get in with less trouble.

IDrankWHAT
2016-04-14, 03:34 PM
Order in the A.C.

I want to Walk and Stroll All Night and Pray ToThe 12 Gods Every Day

theasl
2016-04-14, 03:40 PM

Yeah, I've never even seen GoT and I thought it was a wall, too. Made me very confused, until I looked more closely and realized it was a wall of E's.

Tobimaro
2016-04-14, 03:55 PM
Where are the earplugs when you need them? :smallsmile:

Another great comic. Giant. The sonic effect is the best part of it.

Coat
2016-04-14, 04:14 PM

'What shall it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but lose his own soul?'
'(Too much sex and violence) (Too much sex and violence)'
'(Too shocking even for channel 4) (Too shocking even for channel 4)'

I've never been insane or put my baby on a plane with a suitcase that's alive and ticking
And your honour I confess that I've never tasted meths or hid a gun in a box of fried chicken
Never been to Amsterdam, left my heart in Vietnam, or sold gum on the streets of Mexico
Never smuggled pot, or been murdered in my squat two stories from the top of a No-Go.

Go!

I've never had to steal, sell my body for a meal, cigarettes alcohol or drugs
I've never had a tattoo or a scar that wouldn't heal
Pump it up jack, pump it up jack, pump it up!

I've never been on strike, caught speeding on a bike,
Been propositioned beaten up or mugged
I've got twenty-twenty vision but I've never seen the light
Pump it up jack, pump it up jack, pump it up!

And if you're looking for trouble, you came to the wrong place! (http://www.amazon.com/A-Sheltered-Life-Carter-U-S-M/dp/B00004SIAQ)

Now I think about it, Fruit-bat and Jim-bob (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_the_Unstoppable_Sex_Machine) may actually be Punk Paladins. Perhaps that's why they're so great.

JoeyTheNeko
2016-04-14, 04:21 PM
well, it's nice to see lien and o-chul get along well enough to battle banter.

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-04-14, 04:30 PM
Well, if this is the first of Kraagor's of monsters, I'm excited to see what else awaits us.

Kish
2016-04-14, 04:42 PM
What is that thing?
Some kind of sonic reptilian unicorn, didn't you read the strip's dialogue?

(Yes, I know, it's almost certainly a "yrthak." But what it is definitely, is some kind of sonic reptilian unicorn.)

rockdeworld
2016-04-14, 06:36 PM
Makes sense. In that case, I'd be disappointed if it was one of the monsters Selini chose to guard Kraagor's gate - since she was an epic-level adventurer (in theory), and a yrthak is... nowhere close. But a bunch of templated-up monsters (rather than ones from the ELH) would be cool. Any bets on the gate's dungeon holding one of the Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques)?

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 07:22 PM
Makes sense. In that case, I'd be disappointed if it was one of the monsters Selini chose to guard Kraagor's gate - since she was an epic-level adventurer (in theory), and a yrthak is... nowhere close. But a bunch of templated-up monsters (rather than ones from the ELH) would be cool. Any bets on the gate's dungeon holding one of the Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques)?

What if she skipped right over Epic level monsters and went to Paragon Creatures? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm)

Kish
2016-04-14, 07:45 PM
Paragon creatures are a type of usually-epic creature, not a tier above epic creatures somehow.

The dungeon apparently held the most physically powerful creatures one low-epic adventurer was able to find and transport alive, including purple worms and trying to include rocs.

ReturnOfTheKing
2016-04-14, 07:49 PM
Also, photoshop artists of this playground, please make an album cover and/or band logo for "Sonic Reptilian Unicorn".

Yes, please. Someone, anyone, make this a thing.

luagha
2016-04-14, 08:14 PM
This is also the epitomy of a classic Paladin Listen Check:

"Did you hear something?"
>takes damage<
"Now I know I heard something!"

KillingAScarab
2016-04-14, 08:53 PM
According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yrthak), Yrthak have no feet, and it looks like I can see them right below the tail.The illustration included in their 3.X Monster Manual entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/yrthak.htm) has feet. *shrug* They also have a land speed of 20'.

So why not?Did McLaren and Westwood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivienne_Westwood#Punk_era) also get out of Azure City, then?

You want core ethos? O'Chul brings it PaladinCore, punk. BTW, this bit of lyrics fits the current situation startlingly well:

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and f*** my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white s*** up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge (https://www.google.com/search?q=minor+threat+straight+edge)!Bravo! I think I will stick with Paladin post-punk (or in Miko's case, post-Paladin punk).
Let's start off with "A Sleeping Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html)," "Fall from Grace (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0407.html)," "Spellbound (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html)," "The Ghost in You (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html)," and "The Last Beat of My Heart (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html)," by Siouxsie & the BansheesSonic Reptilian Unicorns.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-14, 09:18 PM
They don't have Perform as a class skill. Worse, their alignment makes them mutually exclusive with the Bard class, the virtually undisputed masters of music. So, they can play in punk rock bands, but the really good ones won't let them in. Especially if they're the kind that enjoys various legally- or morally-questionable vices or members who aren't too busy fighting the forces of darkness to practice.

One of the first hits I got for "yrthak" led me to the Pathfinder variant of the monster on their SRD, and they mention the "Boreal Yrthak," which lives in the arctic and possesses an electric aura that makes them difficult for prey to sense. "Frost Giant on Boreal Yrthak" just became my new favorite Frost Giant encounter, and I have a couple of the Tundra Scout minis that have them mounted on mammoths.
OotS has monsters and rule references from every edition of D&D from 2nd to 4th. Why not Pathfinder?

I think it's clear that the rider is a female, whatever race she is. (If her skin were green, I would have guessed Right-Eye's lost daughter.)
Why do you say that?

My guess as of last page would have been "warrior or barbarian from local Inuit nation/band" (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5auSGfgpCb6Zh9QKBl3.html), but those boots seem pretty nonhuman.)
So, Fantasy Counterpart Cultures can only be populated by humans?

I'm gonna hazard a guess that it's just a standard Yrthak with the Cold subtype. As for the horn? Perhaps that's tied on with a bit of string...:smallsmile:
Standard yrthaks have horns.

Makes sense. In that case, I'd be disappointed if it was one of the monsters Selini chose to guard Kraagor's gate - since she was an epic-level adventurer (in theory), and a yrthak is... nowhere close.
It's just the first layer of defenses. And a CR 9 yrthak paired with a (say) CR 11 shaman of some kind would be more than a match for most mid-level adventuring parties.

PallentisLunam
2016-04-14, 09:24 PM
Paragon creatures are a type of usually-epic creature, not a tier above epic creatures somehow.

The dungeon apparently held the most physically powerful creatures one low-epic adventurer was able to find and transport alive, including purple worms and trying to include rocs.

It was a joke about 4th editions tiers of play system.

Kish
2016-04-14, 09:31 PM
Ah, I see.

Aren't they the other way around there though? If you'd said "skipped right over paragon creatures and went straight to epic," I might have gotten--

What do you mean, the joke isn't worth any XP? Hmph. I shall desist, then.

Pyrous
2016-04-14, 09:40 PM
They don't have Perform as a class skill. Worse, their alignment makes them mutually exclusive with the Bard class, the virtually undisputed masters of music. So, they can play in punk rock bands, but the really good ones won't let them in. Especially if they're the kind that enjoys various legally- or morally-questionable vices or members who aren't too busy fighting the forces of darkness to practice.

They don't get Perform but CHA is an important stat, so they naturally play better than average.

And they wouldn't play with bards anyway: Bards rely on their music* to manipulate people; Paladins rely on actual arguments.

*magical music

Why do you say that?

Why not?

Sermil
2016-04-14, 10:21 PM

Nice! Seconded!

ti'esar
2016-04-14, 10:27 PM
I wonder if the yrthak rider is the first actual bugbear we've seen in OOTS. It's got goblin-style feet and orange/tan hands.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-04-14, 11:06 PM
Considering how fast O-Chul shook off that Sonic Lance, it must have a Fort Save attached.

8BitNinja
2016-04-14, 11:06 PM

Q, can this be our first album name?

Order in the A.C.

Smite the Undead

Walk in the Light

Steel and Steed

Killer Angel
2016-04-15, 12:57 AM

But also the critiques to society's moral decadence.

O-Chul and Lien could do a cover of Bad Religion's punk rock song without changing a single word. :smallwink:

BaronDoctor
2016-04-15, 01:06 AM
As far as rock band paladins: How quickly we all forget the A Game Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-445134.html). Perform as a class skill, inspire courage as a feature, and occupying a very similar sort of space to bards.

I'll second Killing A Scarab's choices and offer another option. "Holidays in the Sun" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0563.html). Granted, this one's by the Sex Pistols, but that would also open up "12 Gods Save the Hinjo"

jere7my
2016-04-15, 01:18 AM
Huh, the eye holes are strange. They are completely round.

Those are goggles. There's a connector linking them.

AmewTheFox
2016-04-15, 01:34 AM
I'm fully expecting him to die in some completely undramatic way at the hands of Amun-Zora and Ian Starshine (and Sabine? I think she joined them) and whatever rebellion they start, after which we get a one-sentence mention of his death and everyone proceeds to forget all about him.

And at most, it would get a reaction out of Elan, who would probably say something along the lines of that plot/sequel hook is gone, further belittling him to the level of a rumor.

Though. Elan would probably have more class than that if he found out.

wRAR
2016-04-15, 02:01 AM
Links for reference:

7 years, wow. Thanks!

gerryq
2016-04-15, 03:31 AM
It occurs to me that this could be a set-up for exposition - i.e. the fight ends with both sides alive, and we get to hear something of when and how Xykon arrived, and his status now.

Silferdrake
2016-04-15, 03:46 AM
The sonic blast looks amazing!

I do hope that both O'Chul and Lien manage to survive this entire story, unfortunately they have the exact amount of likability and relevance for one of them to be killed in a very tragic and dramatic manner.

Also, this new enemy is most likely not a minion/ally of Xykon, he seems to be way too much alive for that.

Quibblicious
2016-04-15, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I've never even seen GoT and I thought it was a wall, too. Made me very confused, until I looked more closely and realized it was a wall of E's.

It was Wall-E.

Yet somehow not an intellectual property violation.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-15, 08:31 AM
They don't get Perform but CHA is an important stat, so they naturally play better than average.

And they wouldn't play with bards anyway: Bards rely on their music* to manipulate people; Paladins rely on actual arguments.

Miko seemed to rely on her sword a lot more than arguments :smallsmile:

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-15, 08:33 AM
Q, can this be our first album name?

Smite the Undead

Walk in the Light

Steel and Steed

Punkladin works for a first album.

Second will be "Straight of of Gobbotopia", in honor of O-Chul's escape.

Q

drazen
2016-04-15, 09:52 AM
Well O'Chul is probably at least a level or two higher than Lien...

Odd thing I noticed: O-Chul shook off the attack faster... but seems to have taken slightly more damage than Lien?

Breccia
2016-04-15, 10:04 AM
Odd thing I noticed: O-Chul shook off the attack faster... but seems to have taken slightly more damage than Lien?

Would it matter if he had? O-Chul has hit points for days.

And it's a good thing, too. I can't think of an easier kill than two paladins lacking effective ranged attacks in the middle of an empty field being attacked by a sonic ranged monster. And I get the impression that ice and/or snow is damn near useless to stopping the attack (ice being one of the most fragile crystals I can think of), so they're going to need all the hit points and/or heals they can muster.

I wonder tho...is that a spear, or a harpoon?

PallentisLunam
2016-04-15, 10:14 AM
Would it matter if he had? O-Chul has hit points for days.

And it's a good thing, too. I can't think of an easier kill than two paladins lacking effective ranged attacks in the middle of an empty field being attacked by a sonic ranged monster. And I get the impression that ice and/or snow is damn near useless to stopping the attack (ice being one of the most fragile crystals I can think of), so they're going to need all the hit points and/or heals they can muster.

I wonder tho...is that a spear, or a harpoon?

Probably not a harpoon since Lien has used it in melee but I also see no evidence for it being a long spear like the Class and Level thread seems to think. It could very easily be just a spear and then it could be used in melee or thrown without penalty.

8BitNinja
2016-04-15, 10:51 AM
Punkladin works for a first album.

Second will be "Straight off of Gobbotopia", in honor of O-Chul's escape.

Q

I like the Idea, besides, you're the band leader, I'm just the bass player.

Quibblicious
2016-04-15, 12:55 PM
I like the Idea, besides, you're the band leader, I'm just the bass player.

And creative director :smallbiggrin:

Everyone has a role to play. That's why its called a role playing game. :smallcool:

8BitNinja
2016-04-15, 01:26 PM
And creative director :smallbiggrin:

Everyone has a role to play. That's why its called a role playing game. :smallcool:

Is not life just one big LARP?

Nah, I'm just kidding

Coat
2016-04-15, 02:12 PM

Nah, I'm just kidding

All the world is a LARP,
And all the men and women merely players,
They have their agendas and their statistics
And one man in his time wears many faces...

Quibblicious
2016-04-15, 02:22 PM

Nah, I'm just kidding

Well... we all do play roles in life -- Marine, Biker, Musician, Daddy, Inexplicable guy without a shirt at the garden party, DM, Paladin, Punker...

Except I'd like real fireballs. And not just the liquor...

Q

8BitNinja
2016-04-15, 02:26 PM
Well... we all do play roles in life -- Marine, Biker, Musician, Daddy, Inexplicable guy without a shirt at the garden party, DM, Paladin, Punker...

Except I'd like real fireballs. And not just the liquor...

Q

All the world is a LARP,

Wow, this got deeper than I thought

Ruck
2016-04-15, 03:57 PM
I think punk bands can be either Lawful or Good, but never both.

DaggerPen
2016-04-15, 05:12 PM
So, Fantasy Counterpart Cultures can only be populated by humans?

Fair point! Though iirc from my mobile blogging, the culture in case was human in the article that made me think of it.

8BitNinja
2016-04-15, 05:13 PM
I think punk bands can be either Lawful or Good, but never both.

Then Paladinpunk will break the rules by following them

ReturnOfTheKing
2016-04-15, 08:23 PM
All the world is a LARP,

Please, please let me sig this :smallbiggrin: (time to rotate my signature quotes anyway)

ReturnOfTheKing
2016-04-15, 08:26 PM
I have extremely minimal skill with the piano, if Sonic Reptilian Unicorn is looking for a keyboardist.

8BitNinja
2016-04-16, 12:01 AM
I have extremely minimal skill with the piano, if Sonic Reptilian Unicorn is looking for a keyboardist.

Q, let's hire this guy, he has experience

ThinkMinty
2016-04-16, 12:04 AM

Here's what one looks like, if that helps:
http://i.imgur.com/38PbWhq.png

Would be difficult to defeat one of these, no?

blunk
2016-04-16, 02:46 AM
They don't have Perform as a class skill. Worse, their alignment makes them mutually exclusive with the Bard class, the virtually undisputed masters of music.Which makes them being in a punk band about as "punk" as it gets.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-16, 08:06 AM
If we're looking to populate Sonic Reptile Unicorn, I've got years of experience singing in choirs. As a bass, which gives an entirely different vibe (you must pardon the expression) to our pop band when the lead singer is taking any song we cover down an octave. Or, perhaps, backup vocals? Punk bands with harmony?

We definitely need a song about how Chaotic Evil people think they are punk but betray the principles as they betray all else. Maybe we can rework The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again?

KillingAScarab
2016-04-16, 08:19 AM
If we're looking to populate Sonic Reptile Unicorn, I've got years of experience singing in choirs. As a bass, which gives an entirely different vibe (you must pardon the expression) to our pop band when the lead singer is taking any song we cover down an octave. Or, perhaps, backup vocals? Punk bands with harmony?

We definitely need a song about how Chaotic Evil people think they are punk but betray the principles as they betray all else. Maybe we can rework The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again?Bad Religion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Religion) absolutely uses vocal harmonies. "Empty Causes (http://www.badreligion.com/albums/9/The_Gray_Race)" seems to be a song you're looking for.

Well, the shots rang out like popcorn
and the Chief was hit and rushed out of sight
The mohawk-chain, leather brigade
rejoiced maliciously on that night
Someone cried out "*@$% the government"
His mates couldn't define what he meant
So no one gave him the time of day
And the scene died away

(chorus)
Empty causes (harmony)
A war for the body, an army in the mind
Empty causes (harmony)
Losing steam as time goes by

Could it be that everybody selfishly desires
their own personal retinue?
And that causes are just manifestations of too much time
and far too little to do (harmony)

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-16, 08:56 AM
The top bands aren't the ones that are just a bit better than the average bloke on the street.

Miko.
And if they refuse to work with bards the way Hinjo did not, that's more reason to keep them out of bands. As you seem to be aware, bard music is magical.

Steel and Steed

Throughout the crumbling kingdoms, I watch the storm approach.
The clouds darken and extend when goblinoid hordes encroach.
A steel blade adorns me, my steed is fast and fluid.
They shun my aid and fear my blade, think I'm Lawful Stupid.

I do no self-serving deed;
True evil's forces I bleed
With steel and steed
Steel and steed

Every day of my life, fiends and undead fight.
Ogres stop and level up, engulf my heart in light.
Through tome and trial I master the secrets of the priest;
So by my sword and by my word may evil be decreased.

With steel and steed
Steel and steed

Evil best hide when Paladins come
Srebro, rumak
Srebro, rumak

I bear no love for counts or kings or glory, gold or land;
I've only will to end evil with my unworthy hand.
I hunt these wayward monsters which terrorize the weak,
And search for those whose deeds and woes to me of goodness speak.

With steel and steed
Steel and steed

Rumak i stal
Rumak i stal

Mx56
2016-04-16, 12:36 PM
{scrubbed}

Kish
2016-04-16, 12:58 PM
Steel and steed
Is that set to an existing tune?

8BitNinja
2016-04-16, 01:17 PM
Here's what one looks like, if that helps:
http://i.imgur.com/38PbWhq.png

Would be difficult to defeat one of these, no?

It looks like a combination of a dragon, a plague doctor, and an Oliphant from Lord of the Rings

ThinkMinty
2016-04-16, 01:59 PM
{scrubbed}

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-16, 09:11 PM
Is that set to an existing tune?
Yes. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24z6ejrS7GM)
I initially misread the given title as Silver and Steed, so you can probably see why I drew the connection.

Ruck
2016-04-16, 09:13 PM
{scrubbed}

This is sort of why I said punk bands can be lawful or good but never both. Straight-edge punks are very lawful, but they also tend to be the kind that beats up people who don't follow their code. And since punk was, at least in its early days, anarchic, crude, and in many ways a reaction to / rejection of tradition and the social order, the punk ethos is by and large chaotic otherwise.

Someone like Ian MacKaye would be interesting, since I think he has a personal code in a way similar to the straight edgers that might be called Lawful, but at the same time he's built a career out of rejecting the structures and restrictions of the music industry, an inherently Chaotic practice.

I've thought about this entirely too much.

KillingAScarab
2016-04-16, 11:19 PM
Throughout the crumbling kingdoms, I watch the storm approach.
The clouds darken and extend when goblinoid hordes encroach.
A steel blade adorns me, my steed is fast and fluid.
They shun my aid and fear my blade, think I'm Lawful Stupid.

With steel and steed
Steel and steed

Every day of my life, fiends and undead fight.
Ogres stop and level up, engulf my heart in light.
Through tome and trial I master the secrets of the priest;
So by my sword and by my word may evil be decreased.

With steel and steed
Steel and steed

Srebro, rumak
Srebro, rumak

I bear no love for counts or kings or glory, gold or land;
I've only will to end evil with my unworthy hand.
I hunt these wayward monsters which terrorize the weak,
And search for those whose deeds and woes to me of goodness speak.

With steel and steed
Steel and steed

Rumak i stal
Rumak i stal

Yes. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24z6ejrS7GM)
I initially misread the given title as Silver and Steed, so you can probably see why I drew the connection.Ah, I have heard of Miracle of Sound before. That's a very nice bit of lyrics replacement you did, but what is "rumak" a reference to?

It looks like a combination of a dragon, a plague doctor, and an Oliphant from Lord of the RingsThat style also reminds me a bit of earlier Aaron Diaz (http://dresdencodak.com/2006/10/07/summer-dream-job/).

This is sort of why I said punk bands can be lawful or good but never both. Straight-edge punks are very lawful, but they also tend to be the kind that beats up people who don't follow their code. And since punk was, at least in its early days, anarchic, crude, and in many ways a reaction to / rejection of tradition and the social order, the punk ethos is by and large chaotic otherwise.

Someone like Ian MacKaye would be interesting, since I think he has a personal code in a way similar to the straight edgers that might be called Lawful, but at the same time he's built a career out of rejecting the structures and restrictions of the music industry, an inherently Chaotic practice.

I've thought about this entirely too much.There is such a thing as thinking too much about punk? If so, that is news to me.

I would also like to posit that as a yrthak (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/yrthak.htm) is actually somewhat intelligent, it may in fact be capable of being part of a screamo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamo) band which wrecks the stage before our Punkladins' set.

8BitNinja
2016-04-17, 01:27 AM
All of you guys are a bunch of punks :smallsmile:

But these punks have to be the punkiest

http://mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/geek/2013/07/shadowrun_crop.jpg

Mx56
2016-04-17, 02:20 AM
{scrubbed}

GM_3826
2016-04-17, 08:23 AM
Maybe the Punkladins could be variants or 4e and 5e paladins.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-17, 10:59 AM

"Paladins of Vengeance" would also be a fine Punk band name - or maybe Metal.

Coat
2016-04-17, 11:11 AM
Please, please let me sig this :smallbiggrin: (time to rotate my signature quotes anyway)

Uh, sure, if you really want to!

8BitNinja
2016-04-17, 04:12 PM

It's already a thing, it's called Paladin/Bard

ThinkMinty
2016-04-17, 05:43 PM
It's already a thing, it's called Paladin/Bard

Wouldn't that just be someone in a choir?

There really should be a class for that, some kind of Divine Bard that trades off some of the Bard list for some of the Cleric list and a couple of other stuff for extra buffing power.

Kish
2016-04-17, 06:28 PM
"Someone in a choir" is an expert. Someone who uses magical music for buffs is a bard. Not every profession needs to be an adventurer.

8BitNinja
2016-04-17, 06:41 PM

There really should be a class for that, some kind of Divine Bard that trades off some of the Bard list for some of the Cleric list and a couple of other stuff for extra buffing power.

I would call it a Hymn Bard

davidbofinger
2016-04-17, 07:02 PM
{scrubbed}

goodpeople25
2016-04-17, 07:07 PM

There actually is a divine bard variant in the srd from unearthed arcana. Divine spells and needs wisdom to cast (just for casting, rest is still charisma I think) spells as well as adding (not trading) some cleric spells to the bard list.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard

8BitNinja
2016-04-17, 07:36 PM
{scrubbed}

ThinkMinty
2016-04-17, 10:51 PM
{scrubbed}

8BitNinja
2016-04-17, 11:11 PM
{scrubbed}

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 07:46 AM
Wow, this got deeper than I thought

That happens a lot in the barn :smallbiggrin:

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 07:48 AM
Q, let's hire this guy, he has experience

He's in.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 07:49 AM

We definitely need a song about how Chaotic Evil people think they are punk but betray the principles as they betray all else. Maybe we can rework The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again?

You're in.

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 07:53 AM
I would call it a Hymn Bard

Didn't they have those in Camelot ('tis a silly place...).

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 07:55 AM
{scrubbed}

Lawful Evil is simply Evil with OCD. Very organized and neatly arranged killing.

davidbofinger
2016-04-18, 09:50 AM
{scrubbed}

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 10:33 AM
{scrubbed}

Keltest
2016-04-18, 10:37 AM
Rule of thumb: If you aren't sure, don't do it. There is no harm in dropping a conversation before the mods need to get involved if you think its heading that way.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-18, 11:51 AM
Ah, I have heard of Miracle of Sound before. That's a very nice bit of lyrics replacement you did, but what is "rumak" a reference to?
The line in the original song ("Suebro i stahl") is Polish for "Silver and Steel." "Rumak i Stahl" is Polish for "Steed and Steel". Either that or Google Translate lied to me.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-18, 12:28 PM
{scrubbed}

I suggest we leave RW politics off this board.

ThinkMinty
2016-04-18, 12:54 PM
{scrubbed}

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 01:02 PM
{scrubbed}

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 01:06 PM
{scrubbed}

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 01:23 PM
{scrubbed}

Jasdoif
2016-04-18, 03:00 PM
"Paladins of Vengeance" would also be a fine Punk band name - or maybe Metal.It certainly sounds like a fine band name for a Stormtroopers of Death analog. That counts as punk and metal, right?

Quibblicious
2016-04-18, 03:34 PM
If you are a king, power will literally go to your head

And on occasion, it will result in the dissolution of the bonds between head and body...

Q

Shining Wrath
2016-04-18, 03:53 PM
You mean LW politics.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

I meant "Real World", as opposed to OOTSverse.

ThinkMinty
2016-04-18, 04:19 PM
Though I think that particular assertion of Q's unambiguously nails this conversation down on the wrong side of the politics ban, and hope the moderators show up to drop the hammer on it soon.

If there isn't a rule against armchair moderation, there should be.

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 05:06 PM
If there isn't a rule against armchair moderation, there should be.

Am I armchair modding? Because if I was/am, I was just giving a warning, I don't want the thread to be shut down

Keltest
2016-04-18, 05:18 PM
The official word on vigilante moderating:

If you're not a Moderator, don't act like one. Rich has selected a few people he trusts to keep an eye on conversations here. Please refrain from chastising other posters over breaking the rules, especially concerning minor things. The proper response when you see someone breaking these rules is to report the post as discussed above or to a PM to the local Moderator. At most, you may courteously link to this announcement. But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are spamming, etc. Posters who do so will be issued an Infraction for their actions.

8BitNinja
2016-04-18, 07:00 PM
I'm still not sure if I was vigilante modding, but if I was, I'm sorry

Haruki-kun
2016-04-18, 10:31 PM
The Winged Mod: People, please get back on topic, and remember that political issues are not permitted as a topic of discussion on these boards, ever. If you're wondering if you're bordering on an Inappropriate Topic, take a step away from it.

ReyMonoArdilla
2016-04-18, 11:12 PM
I don't think anyone asked or commented on this, but did that attack put that crack the back of O-Chul's head?

KillingAScarab
2016-04-19, 12:09 AM
I don't think anyone asked or commented on this, but did that attack put that crack the back of O-Chul's head?I think so. Black wounds on a character's head aren't without recent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1009.html) precedent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1017.html).

littlebum2002
2016-04-19, 09:29 AM
Wow, so glad I was out of town for most of this thread.

Peelee
2016-04-19, 11:43 AM
Wow, so glad I was out of town for most of this thread.

I dunno, I always get kind of sad when I don't check for a bit, because then I don't ever get to know what was scrubbed.

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 01:07 PM
I think so. Black wounds on a character's head aren't without recent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1009.html) precedent (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1017.html).

How many hit points does O-Chul have?

Also, I'm sorry for getting the thread closed and scrubbed

TheNecrocomicon
2016-04-19, 01:57 PM
How many hit points does O-Chul have?

A lot, to put it mildly -- remember, he survived months of torture (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html) at the hands of Xykon and Redcloak, and even had his stats complimented (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html) by the former.

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 02:17 PM
A lot, to put it mildly -- remember, he survived months of torture (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html) at the hands of Xykon and Redcloak, and even had his stats complimented (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0657.html) by the former.

I'm going to assume 798

Please tell me if I'm right or not

Shining Wrath
2016-04-19, 08:17 PM
I'm going to assume 798

Please tell me if I'm right or not

I'm going to go with 16th level Fighter / Paladin, 20 CON, and rolled an average of 8 on his D10's after first:

10 + 15*8 + 16*5 = 210 HP. About the same as an adult copper dragon.

Seto
2016-04-19, 09:13 PM
these two are the most adorable friends. I love their dynamic

I agree. Being able to swoop in so precisely and coordinately, and attack two people when neither you nor your friend can see (no eyes/big mask)... That's a true trusting partnership right there.

8BitNinja
2016-04-19, 11:03 PM
I'm going to go with 16th level Fighter / Paladin, 20 CON, and rolled an average of 8 on his D10's after first:

No wonder he is so hard to kill, have you ever tried to kill a dragon? And I'm not talking about the stupid "land on the ground" dragon

You probably have, it's really hard, and you know it

Gift Jeraff
2016-04-20, 12:05 AM

His Con is in the mid-20s.

factotum
2016-04-20, 02:39 AM

That wouldn't make much difference--it only gives him an additional +2HP per level, and if you assume a more reasonable average of 5.5 on the dice rolls it would actually mean he has *less* hit points than Shining Wrath calculated. I'm pretty sure that calling O-Chul 16th level is far overstating the case, though--Roy wasn't even that high a level before he died, and he was described by his father as the highest level Good character on the field. He's at least level 12, but probably not much higher than that.

goodpeople25
2016-04-20, 03:34 AM
That wouldn't make much difference--it only gives him an additional +2HP per level, and if you assume a more reasonable average of 5.5 on the dice rolls it would actually mean he has *less* hit points than Shining Wrath calculated. I'm pretty sure that calling O-Chul 16th level is far overstating the case, though--Roy wasn't even that high a level before he died, and he was described by his father as the highest level Good character on the field. He's at least level 12, but probably not much higher than that.
Do you mind clarifying a bit. Around what level do you peg him at during battle of Azure city, and how many levels do you think he gained afterwards? I think the distinction is good to know.

But i think 16 is the upper reaches of what info we have, 17 is the highest i would go but I really doubt that. It just technically can work though to me though it takes a bit of interpretation.

factotum
2016-04-20, 06:20 AM
Well, at the battle of Azure City he was logically lower level than Roy, who's been suggested around level 13 at the time, so 12 seems reasonable. And since it was at that battle that he performed his most death-defying feat (flying thousands of feet from an exploding castle and surviving), it's how many hit points he had at the time that seems most relevant. It's impossible to say how many levels he's gained since then because we barely saw any of the time he was being tortured by Xykon or travelling with Lien.

Doesn't really alter my main point, though, which is that the difference in Con highlighted by Gift Jeraff wouldn't make much of a difference to Shining Wrath's calculation if you used a more reasonable estimate for the hit point dice rolls. Averaging 8 on 15 d10 rolls would be a fairly unlikely probability.

Quibblicious
2016-04-20, 08:03 AM
Well, at the battle of Azure City he was logically lower level than Roy, who's been suggested around level 13 at the time, so 12 seems reasonable. And since it was at that battle that he performed his most death-defying feat (flying thousands of feet from an exploding castle and surviving), it's how many hit points he had at the time that seems most relevant. It's impossible to say how many levels he's gained since then because we barely saw any of the time he was being tortured by Xykon or travelling with Lien.

Doesn't really alter my main point, though, which is that the difference in Con highlighted by Gift Jeraff wouldn't make much of a difference to Shining Wrath's calculation if you used a more reasonable estimate for the hit point dice rolls. Averaging 8 on 15 d10 rolls would be a fairly unlikely probability.

Don't get too much wrapped up in his HP totals... it's hard to estimate off of prior events because Redcloak had to expend a lot of healing to keep Xykon from dusting the Paladin to win a bet.

That said, The Big O is definitely a top dog fighter type. I wouldn't want to fight the guy.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-20, 08:04 AM
Also, I'm sorry for getting the thread closed and scrubbed

Likewise for me.

Q

Quibblicious
2016-04-20, 08:06 AM

Is that a new avatar I see?

Spiffy!

Q

8BitNinja
2016-04-20, 10:33 AM
Is that a new avatar I see?

Spiffy!

Q

Thank you my good sir, Professor Gnoll drew it

He is a really good artist

Jasdoif
2016-04-20, 11:00 AM
I'm going to assume 798

Please tell me if I'm right or notI don't think you're right.

Judging by when O-Chul's actions occurred in 542 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html)...he was immersed in acid for four rounds (10d6 damage each, total 40d6), hit by two spikes in a spike trap (most of which do 1d4+5 damage per spike, for a total of 2d4+10), sustained two bites from a dire shark (2d8+9 damage each, total 4d8+18), fell about 20 feet based on measurements from the previous strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0541.html) (2d6 damage), and was brought to negative hit points by Xykon's ray of frost (1d3 damage).

That puts the maximum total damage at 323. Since O-Chul was able to act normally, he was at positive hit points before the maximum 3 from the ray of frost; Which would put the maximum for O-Chul's hit points at 322, leaving him at -1. So 798 is right out :smalltongue: (The average total damage is 200...and the minimum total damage is 78, taking into account that it isn't possible for a minimum 1 damage from ray of frost to take O-Chul from positive hit points to negative hit points)

Kish
2016-04-20, 11:03 AM
It is, however, quite possible that O-Chul was at 0 hit points when he tried to attack Xykon.

Jasdoif
2016-04-20, 11:12 AM
It is, however, quite possible that O-Chul was at 0 hit points when he tried to attack Xykon.It's possible, sure; but the motion lines suggested a standard charge, which wouldn't normally be possible while disabled at 0 points (it'd be a partial charge instead), and I couldn't think of an effect that would allow him to act normally at 0 hit points that didn't have any effect at negative hit points.

I don't see any advantage to making this a point of contention, though, so okay: O-Chul's hit points could conceivably range from 76 to 322.

Mx56
2016-04-20, 11:27 AM

Got bored and did some simulating, out of 100,000 16th level fighter/paladins with 20 con, only 30 had HP of 210 or higher, so yeah, hugely unlikely. Also ran simulation with fighter/paladin 12 with 20 con. If we say that O-Chul is tough (but not outlandishly so for his class and level) and put him in the 90th percentile, he could have health of 143 at 12th level and 187 at 16th level. Even if we make some slightly scary assumptions - that the explosion did 20d6 damage and blew him high enough into the air to inflict maximum falling damage of 20d6 (total average damage 140) - that leaves him tough enough to survive.

Edit: Also FWIW, sorry for generating work for the mods.

Shining Wrath
2016-04-20, 12:08 PM
The math supplied by our most sagacious and sapient banana give us a range from 76 to 322; but that range represents a sum of several numbers, some of which are normally distributed. The central portion of that range is therefore quite a bit more probable than the extremes. Somewhere around ... 200.

I don't know how the mid-20's Constitution geekery was obtained, but it gives me a cushion. I assumed O-Chul rolled substantially better than average on his hit point rolls because he was the "toughest of all of us", not the highest level (that was Miko).

Therefore, I still say 210 is not a bad guess for his HP total.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-20, 12:29 PM
Source?

O-Chul's HP Total

I'm inclined to put him above-average for a low-teen-level paladin. From the calculations others have thrown around, around 200 (probably a little under) sounds reasonable.

8BitNinja
2016-04-20, 01:16 PM
Source?

I'm inclined to put him above-average for a low-teen-level paladin. From the calculations others have thrown around, around 200 (probably a little under) sounds reasonable.

It's not as crazy as the assumption that Roy has literal godlike charisma

Werbaer
2016-04-20, 01:22 PM
I don't know how the mid-20's Constitution geekery was obtained
It's straight from the commentary in War and XP.

Kish
2016-04-20, 01:23 PM
Dare I ask?

Quibblicious
2016-04-20, 01:28 PM

From his dealings with Elan we know he has god like patience.

Q

8BitNinja
2016-04-20, 01:33 PM
Dare I ask?

You see, I play with someone who houserules a lot of things, one of those is seduction. As one who doesn't really care about my character's love life (please don't be mad at me Sir Jerry, Paladin of Heironeous) I never looked at the real rules. So I went on to the SRD wiki, and seeing that I couldn't find a sylph fey, I checked the closest one, a nymph fey. I saw that a 1st level nymph fey had a 19 CHA, but she has been known to cast lightning bolt, which is a 3rd level spell, since nymphs had an advancement of 7, this would increase her charisma to at least a 26, which means that, if my DM's houserules came into play, he would've had AT LEAST 27 charisma

hamishspence
2016-04-20, 02:18 PM
Sylphs are from MM2 and are Small. I vaguely recall a nod to this with Roy referring to Celia as "inexplicably Medium sized".