PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Prydainii [RACE]

Tzi
2016-04-14, 12:03 PM
Note: Likely poorly made, which I expect it to be. This is the first of many designed for a world build that derives some ideas and inspiration from the Elder Scrolls world. Somewhat how it builds "races" and thus I decided to run with it. The Prydanii are a very much Celtic inspired version of the Breton of Elder Scrolls. All input, good or bad is welcome.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/Scatha%20L_tcm4-566187.jpg

Prydainic

Size: Medium

Movement: 30 ft

Languages: You speak either Bretonic, Milesian,
Cantabaric or Avernic

Prydainic Traits

Ability Score Adjustments:
Your Constitution score increases by 2.

Prydainic Training: You are proficient in the use of long swords, short swords and shields.

Tool Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the artisans' tools of your choice: Smith's tool, Brewer's supplies, or mason's tools.

Fey Cunning: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom , and Charisma saving throws against magic.

Skill Versatility: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.

Myrddinag

Not all Prydanic people(s) are sword wielders. While many are hardy and resilient warriors, some find they are blessed by the ancient woad painted Witch King of legend. Myrddin, whose knowledge of magic was great. Revered as a magical being and God, he is the essential Druid. Some Prydanic peoples find they are innately more magical than their kin.

Ability Score Increase: +1 to intelligence

Taliesin

Some have gifts of charisma, the charming ability said to come to a lucky few, though especially common among the Bretonic speakers whose bards and poets are legendary. The Bretons speak of Anwen, a spiritual force that is credited with making men and women alike of great personality.

Ability Score Increase: +1 to Charisma

Ogma

Some are born with the blessings of Ogma are like those of Myrddin, but of a less astutely intellectual nature and more of an intuitive.

Ability Score Increase: +1 to Wisdom

Prydanii Lore

Hailing from the continents unknown, but emerging as a distinctly western peoples, confined to the fringes of Nehelania and the Prydainii Islands, they are a human race of fey blood. The inheritors of a people mixed in with the forest dwelling Wood Elves who once peopled Nehelania. Typically with brown, red, black or strawberry blond hair, and occasionally a slight point to their ears, the Prydainii or Prydainic peoples are widely considered fierce and savage fighters, quarrelsome, but exceptional craftsman of gold, iron, and bronze. Culturally ruled by a Warrior Kings and Queens as well as the Druids, Bards and Ovates. They are a remarkably healthy people, and many whom have come to contend with them have paid dearly for the Prydainii are as fierce as they are ungovernable.

The Therassian poet Theodora told of the earliest accounts of the Prydanii as a tribal people living in the far west. While considered warlike they were not described as particularly bloodthirsty. The Great City State of Lydia however wished to bring order to the West of Nehelania and King Koralo, later Emperor Koralo I, staged a great victory over the mainland Prydanii, sending them to their Isles were they live free to this day, but on the mainland they became culturally Lydian, loosing much of their original nature.

Their languages are complex, or at least complex to those with poor memory. With rough sounds, complex rules of sound mutations and a word order most alien to others, save for those familiar with Sylvan languages. The Verb comes before the Subject and then the Object comes last. While Writing was scarce, and jealously guarded by the Druid class, the Milesians have adopted a common writing based on Sylvan/Elven script. And have spread it to the others as several Milesian clans have conquered across the Prydainic Isles, forming the great dynasties of Usidean, Dubhshláine, Fidelma, Aedha, and Domhnaill. These dynastic rulers have formed fairly large Kingdoms on the Isles, even while the Milesian Isles of Maeb are fractured by about 103 different Kings and Kingdoms.

Upon the some 400 isles, big and small that make up the Prydainic chain, going from north to south and a westward bow, these people form a fairly complex sea trade system. With only the Cantabaric speakers living on the mainland of Magar on its North West horn and the Isles north of it. They form the Southern end of the bow, with the Milesians inhabiting the Northern most reaches. The Bretons occupy the big Island of Brettony but also occupy many smaller islands forming the North Central part of the bow, and the Avernic peoples, whom also once were numerous on the mainland of Nehelania but now live in the South-Central part of the bow of Islands.

zeek0
2016-04-16, 05:55 AM
From a fluff perspective I have no insight, as celtic lore doesn't seem to get my goat the same way it does yours.

Mechanically, it has two strong features: Fey Cunning and Skill Versatility. This is fine on the whole - but I think that it would be great if your sub-races had more differences in them than simple stat increases.

That would mean you would have to reduce the base race - I would either change fey cunning to fey ancestry, or remove the weapon proficiencies (the race seems mostly magical/mental anyhow).

Cheers.

Final Hyena
2016-04-16, 10:32 AM
Ability Score Adjustments: Your Constitution score increases by 2.

Prydainic Training: You are proficient in the use of long swords, short swords and shields.

Tool Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the artisans' tools of your choice: Smith's tool, Brewer's supplies, or mason's tools.

Fey Cunning: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom , and Charisma saving throws against magic.

Skill Versatility: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.

Myrddinag
Ability Score Increase: +1 to intelligence

Taliesin
Ability Score Increase: +1 to Charisma

Ogma
Ability Score Increase: +1 to Wisdom

If we look at this from a pure value proposition you get;
3 stats
3 skills (1 restricted)
advantage on mental saves against spells
shield proficiency

This is already too much.

If you look at it from a combo perspective you can use this race with any spellcasting class, buff up their main casting attribute and get a shield. That is a pretty huge deal.

I would recommend toning it down. The main thing is to get rid of the shield proficiency or the boosts to int/cha.

Foxhound438
2016-04-17, 02:56 PM
a) lose the skill versatility, it adds too much to what you have there

b) the fey cunning shouldn't be a carbon copy of gnome cunning. I'd instead change it to advantage against a few specific effects, like being charmed, paralyzed, or frightened.