PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Armored Jacket - Any other uses?

Triskavanski
2016-04-14, 01:16 PM
Is there any other use beyond the fact you can equip a medium armor as a move action for the Armored Jacket? There is a trait I've seen that can let you count the Armored Jacket as a light armor, but its worse than wearing mythril chain ****.

inuyasha
2016-04-14, 01:28 PM
Is there any other use beyond the fact you can equip a medium armor as a move action for the Armored Jacket? There is a trait I've seen that can let you count the Armored Jacket as a light armor, but its worse than wearing mythril chain ****.

I don't actually know what equipment item you're talking about (though I am curious now), but I would like to point out that you misspelled the word shirt

squiggit
2016-04-14, 01:44 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/armored-coat

+4 armor, +3 max dex, -2 ACP, 20lb, 50gp medium armor that you can put on as a move action.

Triskavanski
2016-04-14, 01:53 PM
Whoops. I totally forgot the R.

Its a wonderful item for people wear heavy armor. You keep it out at night, and switch in case of ambush. Beyond that.. There isn't much use that I know of. Unless its something with being able to change what armor tricks you can use.

Psyren
2016-04-14, 01:59 PM

Can you link to that trait?

If you can treat it as light you can sleep in it without penalty, thus making the speed of donning it largely moot.

Elder_Basilisk
2016-04-14, 02:21 PM

I don't think there is a use for it. It's intended use, as others have noted is as an easily donned backup for characters to put on when a fight breaks out but they are unarmored due to sleep, social environment, etc.

However, the problem is that except at very low levels where the 50gp extra might be an issue, it's almost always better to just have chain shirt pajamas or a mithral chain shirt (ok, 1250gp could be an issue at some levels) to wear as an undershirt. Armor you are already wearing beats armor you can don with a single move action. (And even at low levels, it's not an item for PCs--a newly created first level character probably can't afford an extra 50gp for something that situational and any character with some experience under his belt probably had the opportunity to loot a chain shirt or a suit of studded leather from some fallen enemies).

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-04-14, 02:31 PM
For the mithral chain, getting glamered and restful are also good ideas; armor that not only boosts your sleep time effectiveness (good for casters that can wear armor), but you never have to take off as well.

Triskavanski
2016-04-14, 02:39 PM
So basically the only use for it is to have an armor you can switch between medium and light. There are some other things in the Armor Master's Handbook that is dependent on armor type.

Psyren
2016-04-14, 02:42 PM
So basically the only use for it is to have an armor you can switch between medium and light. There are some other things in the Armor Master's Handbook that is dependent on armor type.

Oh did that finally come out? Any Advanced Armor Training goodies for Fighters? Any new Style feats?

Triskavanski
2016-04-14, 02:57 PM
Yeah, there is a handful of new styles. An "unarmed" style that makes a gauntlet a buckler. Another shield style that lets you protect your allies with shields. Armor taining is a bit ho-hum. There is one like the weapon master's book, that increases your skill ranks in a skill by your BAB. Another that increases the amount of base armor value an armor gives you. Particularly good for heavy armor characters who have poor dex anyways. (Full plate would eventually give 14 AC base) Some disappointing archetypes, a disappointing magic scroll armor thing, and a couple of magic armors I haven't really gone through. (Other than a winged fullplate)

Its support mostly is towards heavy armor as opposed to light armor.

Psyren
2016-04-14, 03:01 PM
The skill one is interesting - if you took both that and the AWT one, you'd effectively have 4+Int skills on your fighter, plus access to other advanced goodies.

Anlashok
2016-04-14, 03:11 PM
It hasn't come out, but some people have gotten subscriber PDFs.

AAT isn't as expansive as AWT, but it has some cool sounding stuff, a skill option like versatile training, bonuses to AC or DR or intimidate based on armor type and level, stuff like that. Also a strange sounding option that lets you sort of headbutt as a natural attack and enchant a helmet as a weapon. A few others too.

Also good/bad news, most of the decent sounding AAT options have their effects based on fighter level, so non-fighter classes with armor training don't get much out of the options.

There are a bunch of new styles, but I don't know much about them. A heavy armor style that buffs overrun, a medium armor style that provides some defensive options and lets you run or charge at full speed and a light armor option that gives +2 to attack rolls if you take a move action before attacking, then lets you move double your speed with spring attack/shot on the run, then lets you make two attacks with spring attack/shot on the run. Notably the style feat doesn't work with its other two feats as it specifies move action.

And that these styles work with any armor type if you have armor training.

There are also shield styles, but I don't know much about them, except one improves tower shields and another lets you treat a gauntlet as a buckler.

That last one is interesting because there's a feat that lets you treat a buckler as a light shield.

I don't actually have the book, just paraphrasing what other people have described.

Psyren
2016-04-14, 03:21 PM
It hasn't come out, but some people have gotten subscriber PDFs.

Yep, that's why I was asking (Tris is a subscriber).

Also a strange sounding option that lets you sort of headbutt as a natural attack and enchant a helmet as a weapon.

Hmmm

Also good/bad news, most of the decent sounding AAT options have their effects based on fighter level, so non-fighter classes with armor training don't get much out of the options.

The whole point of these was to make Fighter 20 attractive, so I'm okay with that. It may have some weird interactions with VMC Fighter though. (Of course, that's made up for by the idea that VMC Fighter might actually be worth considering for a change.)

What does the Tower Shield style let you do?

Triskavanski
2016-04-14, 03:25 PM
The skill one is interesting - if you took both that and the AWT one, you'd effectively have 4+Int skills on your fighter, plus access to other advanced goodies.

And there is a few feats in Ultimate intrigue that give you BAB = Skill Ranks.

Owl Style does Stealth, Acrobatics, and Fly while you're in style
Combat Superiority (or something) lets you use BAB for Intimidate ranks.

Also you can pic The AAT up to for times, and AWT up to two times. So that is +6 ranks a level (sort of) from those if you wanted. With owl style and the other feat That is another 4, so you could easily make a fighter running around with sort of 12 ranks a level.. /if/ you really wanted to.

Florian
2016-04-15, 07:05 AM

Look at the more transformative classes and the accompanying problems. A Medium has exactly one "form" that canīt use armor and some Vigilantes have a distinct problem when "switching", too.