PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a teleporter

Kingmath
2016-04-14, 02:14 PM
Hello, I am joining a campaign with a new DM and we are starting level 8, I was wondering if it was possible to make a character based around teleporting to evade attacks?

Segev
2016-04-14, 02:16 PM
Complete Mage has a Conjurer ACF that allows you to spend an immediate action to teleport 10 feet, usually used in response to an attack. It's called "Abrupt Jaunt." That's the only specifically "teleport in response to attack" effect I know of off the top of my head.

ComaVision
2016-04-14, 02:20 PM
That's the only specifically "teleport in response to attack" effect I know of off the top of my head.

There's also the Shadow Cloak (DotU), which is basically the same thing 3x a day.

Kingmath
2016-04-14, 02:21 PM
How often can I use Abrupt Jaunt?

ComaVision
2016-04-14, 02:30 PM
How often can I use Abrupt Jaunt?

Int bonus times per day, IIRC.

Kingmath
2016-04-14, 02:51 PM
Wow that looks pretty strong, thanks!

A_S
2016-04-14, 09:20 PM
The other ability like this is Flicker from the Tome of Magic. Shadowcasters get it as a mystery, and there's a vestige that makes it available to Binders.

ATHATH
2016-04-14, 09:25 PM
Wow that looks pretty strong, thanks!
It is, and it is widely considered one of the best, if not THE best, Wizard ACF's out there.

Crake
2016-04-14, 10:57 PM
Complete Mage has a Conjurer ACF that allows you to spend an immediate action to teleport 10 feet, usually used in response to an attack. It's called "Abrupt Jaunt." That's the only specifically "teleport in response to attack" effect I know of off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure it's actually in PHB2, in case the DM wants reference so he can see it for himself.

Edit: Yeah, it's the immediate magic ACF that replaces your familiar, and requires you to specialize, the conjurer's ability is as described above. Note that while the book says it's an SLA, it was actually errataed into a supernatural ability.

Thurbane
2016-04-14, 11:10 PM
There's also the Jaunter PrC from EttDP - it's good for a non-casting teleporter build.

Crake
2016-04-15, 12:33 AM
6 levels of horizon walker can also get you dimension door every 1d4 rounds. I designed a high speed courier who used that to travel the country side really quickly.

Waazraath
2016-04-15, 01:20 AM
The mountebank prestige class (the one from complete scoundrel, not the one from dragon compendium) also has a x/day ability to dimension door as an immediate action. It's not that strong a class, little bit of skills, little bit of sneak attack, and alter self. Optimizable with alter self shenenigans and the right SA-feats (craven, staggering strike).

The flicker mystery (from Tome of Magic) gives a 50% miss chance, when you teleport in response to an attack. Abrupt jaunt and the mountebank ability don't mention anything about that, so most DM's I now either rule 1) no miss chance or 2) they use the ability as describes under 'flicker' (50% miss chance) since its a similair effect.

MisterKaws
2016-04-15, 08:50 AM
Why not use both Abrupt Jaunt and Flicker? you can always do Noctumancer/Mystic Theurge to get double 9's.

Jormengand
2016-04-15, 09:27 AM
Scramble True Position is a spell from the Tome of Magic which teleports your entire party a short distance, but the problem is that it has a truespeak component. You could ask your DM if you can ignore that.

khadgar567
2016-04-15, 10:49 AM
is pathfinder on the books because there is sphere of power warp sphere base talent free for close range or 1 point for medium range

Gildedragon
2016-04-15, 11:08 AM
Gloves of the Shadow Hand for a smattering of Ex Teleportation

torrasque666
2016-04-15, 11:27 AM
There's the Blade of Orien Prc from Dragonmarked. Its based around using the dimension door SLA from the dragonmark required for the class actively in combat. I think at one point they get a full attack when they use it...Yup. Basically, full attack as a move action at 10th level.

MilleniaAntares
2016-04-15, 11:49 AM
If your GM allows third party Pathfinder material, you can look into the Veiled Moon discipline of Path of War.

Eloel
2016-04-15, 04:43 PM
If you can find a way to get a feat at level 8 (VoP comes to mind, though, yeah), Exalted Wild Shape lets you wild shape into a Blink Dog, which has free action Dimension Door, all day, every round.

If you take 2 levels of Totemist, Blink Shirt lets you get the same ability as a move action - so, two times per round. If you add Telflammar Shadowlord, that is 2 full attacks every round, while blinking around.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-15, 04:49 PM
Warlocks have an invocation called "Flee the Scene" that functions as a short range dimension door that you can use once a round. It also has the nice little bonus of leaving behind a major image of you. You can even get it without losing too many caster levels through eldritch theurge, especially if your DM rules that Practised Spellcaster (warlock) increases eldritch blast dice damage. In that case, you'd only need one level of warlock to qualify.