PDA

View Full Version : How to beat solar's regeneration core-only pre-epic?

magicalmagicman
2016-04-14, 03:44 PM
I know if you include BoVD you can get the violate spell metamagic and blast the thing to death, but what about core-only?

Methods:
1. Save-or-DIE
2. Enervation stacking (assuming you dispel his death ward)
3. +4 unholy good outsider bane weapon. Arguably this qualifies as epic.
4. Ability Damage to death. A weapon of wounding.

OldTrees1
2016-04-14, 03:52 PM
Have you tried a +1 Unholy Bane(Good Outsider) weapon combined with a Greater Magic Weapon buff?

Edit: Forgot the Unholy part.

Mr Adventurer
2016-04-14, 04:16 PM
Drown it, or otherwise suffocate it.

The Viscount
2016-04-14, 09:41 PM
Graymantle, followed by whatever you want.

Or trollbane, followed by whatever you want.

AnonymousPepper
2016-04-14, 09:55 PM
Disjunction to nuke his Death Ward down and then blast the crap out of him with enervate, preferably metamagic'd to hell and back if you can manage it.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-14, 10:54 PM
Oldtrees nailed this one. Bypassing the epic portion of the creature's regeneration just needs the weapon to have a +6 or higher enhancement bonus. Debatably, the extra +2 from bane may or may not be applicable to the bonus from GMW so you may need a +4 unholy good outsider bane weapon but that's all it takes.

If you want to do it by spells, I -think- all you need is CL 21 or higher and to hit it with spells tagged with the [evil] descriptor. This isn't explicit in the rules though, so ask your DM. Alternately, just blast it so far into nonlethal damage that it will be unconcious for a few minutes then coup de gra with an appropriate weapon.

Troacctid
2016-04-14, 11:35 PM
Unlike the Tarrasque, a solar is not immune to ability damage. Simply damage or drain its Constitution score to 0, and it will die. Twenty hits from a weapon with the Wounding property should do the trick.

Gildedragon
2016-04-15, 12:16 AM
Drown it, or otherwise suffocate it.
Outsiders don't breathe; but otherwise it'd have been a good idea

Projectiles with the Force enhancement; as per MIC "force projectiles automaticallyovercome damage reduction". I am not 100 on epic rules but I don't think there's anything in Epic DR that says "lesser weapon enchants can't affect it"

Also i hope this discussion is purely theoretical; attacking a Solar is an Eeeevil act.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-15, 12:34 AM
Outsiders don't breathe; but otherwise it'd have been a good idea

Projectiles with the Force enhancement; as per MIC "force projectiles automaticallyovercome damage reduction". I am not 100 on epic rules but I don't think there's anything in Epic DR that says "lesser weapon enchants can't affect it"

Also i hope this discussion is purely theoretical; attacking a Solar is an Eeeevil act.

It's the regeneration's bypass that the OP is worried about.

Attacking a solar is only as evil as your motivation. Same goes for killing it.

Mr Adventurer
2016-04-15, 01:44 AM
Outsiders don't breathe

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType

magicalmagicman
2016-04-15, 02:03 AM
Alrighty, thanks!

Gildedragon
2016-04-15, 02:49 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType
my bad.
I remembered that native type outsiders explicitly needed to breathe and eat etc; assumed then that standard outsiders had no need for it.

Jowgen
2016-04-15, 03:12 AM
One very cheesy way that might work depending on your reading: Favored Enemy (Outsider Good) [or maybe an appropriate Enemy Spirit Pouch, MIC, will suffice) + Foebane spell (SPC) + Girdle of Hate (DrgCmp).

The Girdle of Hate doubles all bonuses you get against a single chosen type of Favored Enemy. Foebane spell makes your weapon a +5 weapon against a chosen type of favored enemy, amongst other things. Depending on how you read it to work, the Girdle may double it to a +10. You most certainly will at least get an extra 4d6 damage and +8 resistance bonus to saves against effects created by the Favored Enemy type in this.

DrMartin
2016-04-15, 03:31 AM
Solars don't have the shapechanger subtype despite having at will change shape (su), so a Baleful Polymorph will stick and suppress their regeneration. (you still have to pierce their SR 32 and their +18 fort save).

Arguably this could fall under save or die, but it looks cuter. (And makes them waay better targets for a follow-up Dominate).

Telonius
2016-04-15, 08:35 AM
You'd need to get your caster level up to 27, then cast Blasphemy (or Dictum, if the particular Solar happens to be non-lawful). If you punch through the Spell Resistance, he'll be either sent back to his home plane, or be paralyzed for 1d10 minutes. Spam Unholy Blight at him until he's dead.

Evil domain gives a +1 (untyped), Bead of Karma +4 (untyped), Orange Prism Ioun Stone another +1 (untyped); that's all fairly simple Core-only stuff that can get you up to CL 26 at level 20. There are a number of ways to increase it further outside of Core.