PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Multiclass

WereRabbitz
2016-04-14, 04:24 PM
So i'm about to be a level 5 Paladin and i'm wanting to multiclass into bard at some

Thanks to some Generous Stat roles and Half-Elf race my stats are as follows:
Str: 18, Dex: 11, Con: 17, Int: 10, Wis: 13, Cha: 17
Background: Entertainer
1st feat: Lucky
Oath: Ancients

My question is which is better to multi class into with a paladin? I was thinking Fighter or Bard at the moment.

Bard Lore: Father was a instrumentalist and i grew up love to play the flute so a little history with bard & background entertainer.

Fighter Lore: Mother was a Guard and after our fighter quit playing (only 3 of us) the other 2 are full casters so i'm not casting a lot mostly tanking.

I am thinking that level 7 or 8 is a good cut off spot to multiclass, but i'm stuck on the bard/fighter options.
i'm open to suggestion though.

I was thinking if i did Paladin 8 / Bard 12:
Pros:
More Spells then a normal Paladin
Bardic Inspirations + Cutting Words + Font of inspiration
Magical Secrets allow me to 'Steal' some of my higher level paladin spells back
More Smites
Expertise/Jack of all trades: We lost our rogue so this could come in handy... also i've been trying to talk our way out of combat quite a bit.

Paladin 8 / Fighter 12
Pros:
Fighting Style
Extra ASI's
Second Wind/Action Surge
3x Attacks total
Manuevers

I was even thinking a Paladin 8 / Fighter 8 / Bard 4:
Manuevers + Bardic Inspirations should allow me a lot of field control.

Just looking for suggestions to multi class over with, what level, and what combination.

The other 2 party members is a Wild Sorc and Cleric so i feel comfortable dipping in those storywise as well.

I have on many occasions grappled people and negotiated them helping us and work very closely with a focus on nature and a hate of fiends so even a ranger class could work it's way in.

Thanks all!

Specter
2016-04-14, 05:10 PM
2 fighter levels are amazing for another fighting style, bonus action healing and Action Surge. If I were going for Bard I wouldn't take more than 4 levels, since your party seems to be taken care of in terms of spellcasting.

Gtdead
2016-04-14, 08:38 PM
If you want to tank, grabbing a caster class will probably help you more than fighter.

Bard will give you paladin spells faster (destructive wave at lvl 12 is pretty good), dissonant whispers, cutting words.
Sorcerer will give you blur, shield, slow. You can choose draconic sorcerer for a resistance and some extra elemental damage if you have a particular spell in mind, or wild for the bend luck ability. Also you can grab lightning lure and twin it (great stuff for tanking). Cast slow and then pull the bad guys to you. At least 2 enemies will never be able to escape you.

Fighter doesn't really give you anything worthwhile. I am assuming you got defense style at lvl 2 so you don't get anything that will boost your role dramatically, you already have lay on hands for emergencies, and action surge is kinda situational for anything else other than dpr. +2 damage per swing is good, but luring people to you and threaten booming blade AoOs with warcaster is better, assuming you get it (which you probably should if you mc into a caster)

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-04-14, 09:20 PM
Why Pal8? Pal11 nets you +1d8 Radiant damage on ALL ATTACKS. That's... pretty darn hard to pass up.

djreynolds
2016-04-15, 12:21 AM
Why Pal8? Pal11 nets you +1d8 Radiant damage on ALL ATTACKS. That's... pretty darn hard to pass up.

Exactly, improved divine smite is level 11. Not once a turn. but every melee attack. Sorcerer is a nice addition to paladin.

IMHO, you take paladin to 6th for aura of protection and the extra attack at 5th, or you go to 12th level and grab improved divine smite and that ASI.

I like sorcerer because it gives you a better selection of spells.

You could go paladin 12/ sorcerer 4/ bard 4. Good spread, easy build. Max out charisma and grab resilient con.

silverkyo
2016-04-15, 12:32 AM
Have you heard about the Warlock 2 dip??? I've heard a lot of great things about it somewhere. /s

djreynolds
2016-04-15, 12:42 AM
Have you heard about the Warlock 2 dip??? I've heard a lot of great things about it somewhere. /s

It is a very good dip.

Saffron-sama
2016-04-15, 02:09 AM

Actually with his kind of build I would suggest 7 or 9 levels of warlock either with an undying light or if you can get away with it for fiend. Though the joke is not lost on me.

Malifice
2016-04-15, 02:49 AM
So i'm about to be a level 5 Paladin and i'm wanting to multiclass into bard at some

Thanks to some Generous Stat roles and Half-Elf race my stats are as follows:
Str: 18, Dex: 11, Con: 17, Int: 10, Wis: 13, Cha: 17
Background: Entertainer
1st feat: Lucky
Oath: Ancients

My question is which is better to multi class into with a paladin? Fighter or Bard?

http://img.pandawhale.com/34837-Why-dont-we-have-both-gif-PMlx.png

Paladin 6/ Fighter 4/ Bard 10

All the Lore bard 10 goodness, with action surge from fighter, a second fighting style, superiority dice and paladin auras.

djreynolds
2016-04-15, 03:01 AM
That's is a great build above.

Just remember strength and charisma based classes. They should blend. And always remember fighter is always a great dip. Do not worry about extra attacks, you are there for class features and ASI/feats

Also resilient con is as important as resilient wisdom, I would want proficiency in both. War caster only if you really have a spell that you like to use on AoO. Otherwise hitting someone on an AoO with a smite is just as good. The shield spell is awesome, now you can go great weapon.

I would suggest devotion paladin, channel divinity and sacred weapon recharges on a short rest right along with action surge.
Lots of charisma, sacred weapon and action surge, and plenty of smites. S&B is good, but sacred weapon really helps make GWM shine.

With 6 levels of paladin, I personally would forgo PAM. PAM is good for 12 levels of paladin to really make good use of improved divine smite. And then I would go vengeance for that.

WereRabbitz
2016-04-18, 09:30 AM

Ancients Paladin might have a hard time explaining a Warlock 2 dip lore wise :)

I do like hte idea of doing 3-4 evels of Fighter max (to avoid that pesky dead level 5 where I get the Extra Attack I already Have.

I just have a hard time seeing level 12 Paladin being better then Level 12 Bard.

I Guess difference between Paladin 8 and 12
Paladin:
Spells level 3 - Which I could steal via magical secrets if they are really good at level 6 or 10 as a lore bard
Protection of Courage - Fear immunity is great, but with Aura of Protection giving you a bonus to saves this is nice, but not greats since i'm looking at +4 or +5 bonus and the range is the same on both
Improved Divine Smite - The reason you go to level 11
ASI - 12 (just like bard)
Spells at 20: 4/3/3/3/2/1/1 > level 20 Paladin 4/3/3/3/2

So really the Divine Smite 2.0 is the only good advantage over bard level 12

Bard:
Song of Rest 1d8
Bardic Inspirations 1d10
Expertise x2
Magical Secrets: 2 spells up to level 5 allowing me to steal some 3-5 paladin spells if i want or ANY Spell from ANY class
Spell Level 6 in bard instead of 4.
ASI - 12 Just like Paladin.
SPells at 20: 4/3/3/3/2/1/1/1 > Level 20 Paladin 4/3/3/3/2

Great suggestions by all though!

Gtdead
2016-04-18, 10:16 AM
An ancients paladin can easily explain being a feylock.
For a home game you can reflavor the patrons anyway.

For exaple there is an Unearthed Arcana that has the Undying Light patron. Screams paladin.
My DM doesn't like abberations and psionics, so he reflavored the Great Old One to be an Overgod of sorts. A true neutral being and those that worship him are chosen and only care about balance in the world.

WereRabbitz
2016-04-18, 10:18 AM
An ancients paladin can easily explain being a feylock.
For a home game you can reflavor the patrons anyway.

For exaple there is an Unearthed Arcana that has the Undying Light patron. Screams paladin.
My DM doesn't like abberations and psionics, so he reflavored the Great Old One to be an Overgod of sorts. A true neutral being and those that worship him are chosen and only care about balance in the world.

ohh that is a good point... I'm a Neutral Good Ancients that speaks Sylvan so Yeah I can make that work....