PDA

View Full Version : Durkon thinks V is a guy?

RobbyPants
2007-06-22, 02:35 PM
In panel 12 of 468 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html), Durkon is talking about V and says:

"Wha aboot Vaarsuvius? 'E's still out thar."
Now, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but wouldn't 'E' be short for 'he'? In panel 3 of 247 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0247.html), he refers to Haley as 'she'. I guess this isn't diffinitive proof that he always says either 'e' or 'she'...

So, did the Giant slip does Durkon think that V is a guy, or am I reading way too much into this? :smallconfused:

Edit:
That last part was causing too much confusion about the purpose of the thread and the original question. Edited for clarity.

Ancalagon
2007-06-22, 02:36 PM
We cannot know. You read waaay too much into it...

With his accent, both "she" and "he" end up as "'e". That was the joke about it...

truemane
2007-06-22, 02:38 PM
Well, the Giant can't slip, since he's stated categorically that any reference to V's gender reveals ONLY that person's peception, not the truth (if in deed there IS a truth).

And I think Giant is using 'E as a pronoun because it's become popula ront he boards to do so, and to mess with the heads of people (like us) who take this stuff far too seriously.

RobbyPants
2007-06-22, 02:39 PM
We cannot know. You read waaay too much into it...
You're probably right. I don't even know if Rich himself has made up his mind on the matter...

With his accent, both "she" and "he" end up as "'e". That was the joke about it...
That's one helluva accent! I guess when I hear the 'e', I'm immidiately going to think he (as the 'h' doen't have much sound to drop in the first place).

Well, the Giant can't slip, since he's stated categorically that any reference to V's gender reveals ONLY that person's peception, not the truth (if in deed there IS a truth).
That's a good point. Slip is a bit strong of a word. As I mentioned in the thread title: does Durkon think V is a guy? Perhaps I should have been more clear in the thread itself! :smallredface:

shaddy_24
2007-06-22, 02:45 PM
We really can't base V's real gender on what anyone says. Durkon doesn't have a clue earlier and probably just said "he" to make it simple. Just like Roy saying V-man. That is their own interpretation.

Well, Sabine seems to think it's a girl. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html) And we're talking about the physical manifestation of illicate sex here. So it looks like she's just going with what she thinks to.

chibibar
2007-06-22, 02:51 PM
The only one who COULD answer would have been Belkar..... if he had put more into animal rank ;)

Ancalagon
2007-06-22, 03:11 PM
Well, I'd not be surprised if some of the party (as Durkon) knew all the time... :)

Eriol
2007-06-22, 03:27 PM
The only one who COULD answer would have been Belkar..... if he had put more into animal rank ;)
Based on everything else about how well Haley knows V (knew that they were married), and how V trusts her by allowing her to room with hir, then I'd say that if HALEY said either way, that would be the most telling proof.

Though yes, if Belkar had even researched it later (you'd think he'd have had time, though it's possible he hasn't, or has simply forgotten), he'd know.

David Demola
2007-06-22, 03:48 PM
Given all the links to comics above, I contend that Vaarsuvius is, in all actuality, a gay man. Especially due to the Sabine comic.

;)

~Dave

Chronos
2007-06-22, 04:32 PM
Well, Sabine seems to think it's a girl. And we're talking about the physical manifestation of illicate sex here. So it looks like she's just going with what she thinks to.Even Sabine can't make up her mind. She also refers to V as "The elf dude (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)" (compared to Nale's "the elf chick"). I posted this somewhere else before, but I think that if even Sabine can't tell whether Vaarsuvius is male or female, then e isn't either.

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-22, 05:01 PM
Everyone is reading to much into it. There's nothing to read here, we're not going to know from character chatter.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-06-22, 05:08 PM
Durkon, Elan and Belkar have all refered to Vaarsuvius as a guy. Hayley (i cant spell), i think sabine or nale, one of them anyways and several npc's have all refered to vaarsuvius as being female. Rich has already said that this is just the characters perception of him/her and has no real bearing on what his/hre gender is.

ref
2007-06-22, 11:02 PM
Based on everything else about how well Haley knows V (knew that they were married), and how V trusts her by allowing her to room with hir, then I'd say that if HALEY said either way, that would be the most telling proof.

Though yes, if Belkar had even researched it later (you'd think he'd have had time, though it's possible he hasn't, or has simply forgotten), he'd know.

And Haley's latent bisexuality doesn't help, either...

Gales
2007-06-22, 11:06 PM
Understanding V's gender is like understanding Ctulhu's thoughts. Eventually you just go nuts and see all kinds of scary stuff, and can't make a difference between real and imaginary scary stuff.

Zhrec
2007-06-22, 11:09 PM
Come on allready!!! 100 times such thing had been posted, and it ending identically. No one knows V's gender, and V's mate. Probably V's mate is shapeshifter and have both genders too%)

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-22, 11:14 PM
*sighs*

Okay, people -
It's perfectly alright to have your personal opinions about V's gender, but you don't have to go around trying to convince people you're right. There just isn't enough evidence to support a valid conclusion, and what evidence there is is generally taken way too seriously/literally. Seriously, people, we aren't going to know V's gender until The Giant decides to tell us, so there's no point in trying to say 'V's this' or 'V's that'.

Please, just let V's gender be under The Giant's control.

Plactus
2007-06-22, 11:29 PM
In Origin of PCs, Belkar asked Durkon, "Is the elf a chick or a dude?" and Durkon didn't know then. I don't think he's found out since.

doliemaster
2007-06-23, 05:47 AM
PEOPLE stop making these threads, the boards have enough insanity causing things already, I mean have any of the read the Belkar romantic interest thread or the OOTS style house of horror!? If everyone keeps pondering Cthulu is going to get a username and flame us for putting him out of a job!!!

Prothero
2007-06-23, 10:45 PM
Put your friggin' righteous indignation aside for a moment.

This isn't a 'Is V a dude or a chick' thread; this is a 'Does Durkon think V is a dude' thread.

And the answer, as per the responses above, seems to be 'No - he's not sure either'.

Stop getting pissed off at things not worth getting excited above. Your cholesterol-engorged hearts will thank you for it.

RationalGoblin
2007-06-23, 11:01 PM
Stop getting pissed off at things not worth getting excited above. Your cholesterol-engorged hearts will thank you for it.

Uh, Prothero? Did you just call half the GiTP members fat and say they needed anger mangement?

You might want to rethink that... I would if I typed that.

I'm not trying to be a mod, (or a vigilante) I'm just trying to loan you some of my common sense. (which, sadly, I don't have much of)

Holy_Knight
2007-06-24, 02:06 AM
Durkon, Elan and Belkar have all refered to Vaarsuvius as a guy. Hayley (i cant spell), i think sabine or nale, one of them anyways and several npc's have all refered to vaarsuvius as being female. Rich has already said that this is just the characters perception of him/her and has no real bearing on what his/hre gender is.

Haley has never referred to Vaarsuivius by any gender-based pronoun. If she ever did, that would be very strong evidence for what V actually is, because other than Vaarsvuius him/her-self, Haley is the most likely person to know. In fact, I think Haley does know, but she has never said either way.

Woof
2007-06-24, 02:21 AM
Put your friggin' righteous indignation aside for a moment.

This isn't a 'Is V a dude or a chick' thread; this is a 'Does Durkon think V is a dude' thread.

And the answer, as per the responses above, seems to be 'No - he's not sure either'.

You know, if you disapprove of people critcizing the original post, it won't exactly support your argument if you use personal insults if your own post. So let me direct you to the "Cut down the flaming" sticky by the mods at the top of the page.

That being said, may I point out that it wasn't only a "What does Durkon think" post, because the original post included the question "did the Giant slip?", which implies that the Giant has revealed V's gender in Durkon's question. In order words, it implies that Durkon knows the truth about V. So yes, it's another V's sex/gender thread alright.

RobbyPants
2007-06-24, 11:27 AM
Thank you! You saved me having to reply to about twelve posts! :smallbiggrin:

Cade Shadow
2007-06-24, 12:16 PM
That's one helluva accent! I guess when I hear the 'e', I'm immidiately going to think he (as the 'h' doen't have much sound to drop in the first place).

If I'm not mistaken, H originally started as an e with an accent mark on it.

Like originally here would have been 'ere

Or maybe thats just in Greek....

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-24, 03:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, H originally started as an e with an accent mark on it.

Like originally here would have been 'ere

Or maybe thats just in Greek....

In Greek, the 'rough breather' (the diacritic which indicates that a vowel with it has a preceding /h/ sound) was formed by the left half of the letter eta (H). Eta in Greek is the long e sound /E:/ (in modern Greek it's /i:/), but it was borrowed by the Romans (possibly through the Etruscans) as /h/, and thus came to the English language as representing /h/.

/h/ is dropped in many English dialects, Scottish among them. If Durkon had meant 'she', it would have come out as 'she'. I am unaware of any English dialects that leave out an initial /S/ (sh).

Scatman
2007-06-24, 04:16 PM
Psht.You read too much, your just obsessive about figuring out people gender.

My new style of typing pwns.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-24, 04:31 PM

Hm? I was merely replying to posts above me. As you can see in my first post in this thread, I am not obsessed with that.

And I like reading and linguistics.

RobbyPants
2007-06-25, 10:01 AM
/h/ is dropped in many English dialects, Scottish among them. If Durkon had meant 'she', it would have come out as 'she'. I am unaware of any English dialects that leave out an initial /S/ (sh).
That's the impression I was getting. I could see dropping the H, but not an SH.

I don't really care about V's gender. So far as I know, we'll never know for sure. I'm only curious as to whether or not Durkon believes V is a guy.

I guess to clear things up, I'll edit the OP to reitereate the title of the thread, and maybe strike-through that part about "the Giant slipping up". It's causing a bit of confusion. :smallwink:

Scatman
2007-06-25, 10:40 AM
Has anyone even realised yet that V could be genderless?That kind of thing exists in D&D...

Ariko
2007-06-25, 10:53 AM

Actually, V told the party she/he is married

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-25, 11:14 AM
Actually, V told the party she/he is married

But not before telling Haley. Remember her line, 'Wait, you guys didn't know V was married?'.