PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unarmored swordsman build

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 01:32 AM
What would be the best way to build a myrmidon type sword master character without armor or magic specializing in dodging, blocking, and parrying the opponent whilst at the same time having a dangerously high and powerful crit ratio.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

digiman619
2016-04-15, 04:27 AM
Of the top of my head, I'd suggest the Weapon Adept Monk. There are a few good ones if you go up to light armor, but no armor kinda harms your options.

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 04:33 AM
Of the top of my head, I'd suggest the Weapon Adept Monk. There are a few good ones if you go up to light armor, but no armor kinda harms your options.

Not a bad find actually, any good monk weapons to use as a typical agile sword? This actually seems like a decent archetype even for chained monk. I bet even tier 4 and viable I'm most parties. Any suggestions?

GrayDeath
2016-04-15, 04:33 AM
Aside from Homebrews built for that exact purpose you`d probably end up doing a Magus (Kensai) Variant or abovementioned Monk.

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 04:42 AM
Aside from Homebrews built for that exact purpose you`d probably end up doing a Magus (Kensai) Variant or abovementioned Monk.

Which one would you go with? looking deeper it appears the only good feat compatible weapon for monk is sai.

Kensai with a long sword with low emphasis on spell casting seems about equal.

tropical_punch
2016-04-15, 04:45 AM
If you're allowed third party, you could use the swordsage equivalent from DSP's PoW.

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 04:47 AM
If you're allowed third party, you could use the swordsage equivalent from DSP's PoW.

Lately been making mostly PFS characters to have unique options so I can join lots of games.

Pinkie Pyro
2016-04-15, 04:59 AM
if you can use homebrew, this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?303383-The-Myrmidon-the-Swordmaster-and-the-Assassin-3-5-Fire-Emblem

Otherwise, basically you're just looking at the good old keen serrated rapier (13-20 crit rate, right?) with aptitude weapon, then lightning maces-superior unarmed strike, and any crit multiplier you can get your hands on (lvl 1 master thrower maybe?) for offence, and a ring of blinking and bracers of armor/necklace of natural armor for defense?

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 05:01 AM
if you can use homebrew, this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?303383-The-Myrmidon-the-Swordmaster-and-the-Assassin-3-5-Fire-Emblem

Otherwise, basically you're just looking at the good old keen serrated rapier (13-20 crit rate, right?) with aptitude weapon, then lightning maces-superior unarmed strike, and any crit multiplier you can get your hands on (lvl 1 master thrower maybe?) for offence, and a ring of blinking and bracers of armor/necklace of natural armor for defense?

This for the monk, it looks like the feat they get early on requires very specific weapons? Should I just not use said feature?

Pinkie Pyro
2016-04-15, 05:13 AM
This for the monk, it looks like the feat they get early on requires very specific weapons? Should I just not use said feature?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

the feats work for a sword-user because aptitude weapon lets you use abilities and feats that specify a weapon with the aptitude weapon.

IE: feat requires you use maces, aptitude sword can do it too.

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

the feats work for a sword-user because aptitude weapon lets you use abilities and feats that specify a weapon with the aptitude weapon.

IE: feat requires you use maces, aptitude sword can do it too.

Perfect Strike I think.

avr
2016-04-15, 05:50 AM
The temple sword is a monk weapon, and yes monks are proficient with it. Check the Eastern weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/eastern-weapons) page.

Togath
2016-04-15, 06:54 AM
Butterfly swords are monk weapons too, and finessable, and able to be used with slashing grace, if you want(though that's true of all one handed or light slashing weapons).

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 06:58 AM
Butterfly swords are monk weapons too, and finessable, and able to be used with slashing grace, if you want(though that's true of all one handed or light slashing weapons).

What would you reccomend, should I ignore perfect strike?

Togath
2016-04-15, 07:22 AM
Maybe. Auto-rolling max damage doesn't seem that strong... Though a kensei's limited casting can help boost some of their stuff.
I personally think I'd prefer monk, at least later on.
Maybe using vital strike(for either build) to boost damage when you aren't staying in place? You're going to be using a single die weapon if you go for a dex build generally, but +1d6/8 damage is still a decent amount(if you end up with a spare feat, anyway).

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 07:28 AM
Maybe. Auto-rolling max damage doesn't seem that strong... Though a kensei's limited casting can help boost some of their stuff.
I personally think I'd prefer monk, at least later on.
Maybe using vital strike(for either build) to boost damage when you aren't staying in place? You're going to be using a single die weapon if you go for a dex build generally, but +1d6/8 damage is still a decent amount(if you end up with a spare feat, anyway).

What weapon? I'm thinking either one of the swords listed and going for crazy crits or the sai so I can use perfect strike.

Togath
2016-04-15, 07:39 AM
I... Oops.
I thought "perfrect strike" was the Kensei's "treat damage rolla s max" ability.:smallredface:
Still, crazy crits might be fun, especially if you get close enough to flurry.

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 07:41 AM
I... Oops.
I thought "perfrect strike" was the Kensei's "treat damage rolla s max" ability.:smallredface:
Still, crazy crits might be fun, especially if you get close enough to flurry.

Hmm, so you'd reccimend just ignoring perfect strike to get a nicer base damage weapon?

Togath
2016-04-15, 07:43 AM
No, I mean, perfect strike seems stronger than the kensei's ability.
Doubled chance to hit beats +2 to 4 damage.
Only downside is the limited weapon choices.

Shadowscale
2016-04-15, 07:47 AM
No, I mean, perfect strike seems stronger than the kensei's ability.
Doubled chance to hit beats +2 to 4 damage.
Only downside is the limited weapon choices.

Gotcha. Thanks for all the help, sorry for all the back and forth.

Togath
2016-04-15, 08:01 AM
I don't mind it(though I should head to bed now). :smallsmile:

Duskwolf
2016-04-15, 11:19 AM
If I may, how about the Warder class from dsp? Dervish archetype, D12, good saves, int to ac as shield bonus as long as you have a weapon in each hand, yes unarmed counts, some utterly fantastic maneuvers for the build. I would reccomend broken blade, thrashing dragon and veiled moon.

Togath
2016-04-15, 06:17 PM
She's looking for 1st party stuff(it it sounds like a duel wielder wouldn't fit anyway).

charcoalninja
2016-04-16, 10:48 AM
Any reason swashbuckler wouldn't work? I mean... That's exactly what the class is right?

Arutema
2016-04-16, 04:41 PM
Any reason swashbuckler wouldn't work? I mean... That's exactly what the class is right?

Indeed. While swashbucklers are proficient with light armor, they do surprisingly well in no armor at all. You can UMD a wand of mage armor for some protection if you want. (With a trait to make UMD a class skill.) But even without it, you're frequently using your attack roll as your AC via Opportune Parry. And unlike a monk, you can still use a buckler.

Togath
2016-04-16, 07:56 PM
And with slashing grace, they can use something like a longsword if they want. ^-^

charcoalninja
2016-04-17, 08:15 AM
Well a 1 level dip in monk gives Wis to AC and deflect arrows for more defensive joy plus unarmed strike options for more of a zoro feel.

Molosse
2016-04-17, 03:36 PM
As a counter-point to the suggestions here, might I recommend the Sohei Monk? Weapon Training, with access to Advanced Weapon Training combined with being able to flurry works well for any unarmored chassis. Beyond that two-handing a Nine-Ring Broadsword before dropping a hand into Crane Style works damn well for the idea you're looking for.