PDA

View Full Version : Think I have finally made up my mind what to play(ZOMG!)!

Spacehamster
2016-04-15, 12:11 PM
So been posting a ton of more or less useful and more or less oddball builds over the month since had a serious downtime with no playing D&D.

But today I had a vision of a wood elf archer badass, nope he won't skate down stairs I promise! A simple but powerful build with some skill versatility to it.
As we are at level 6 currently he starts as Champion 6 with sharpshooter and alert feat, next three levels will be assassin which plays nicely to his high initiative and expertise in stealth and perception will make him a great scout.

After that I either go straight into 3 levels hunter ranger(hunters mark/horde breaker. Remaining idea is to get 3rd attack from fighter chassis and probably 4 ranger / 5 assassin leaving him champion 11 / hunter 4 / assassin 5 in the end.

Will net him 13 initiative, expertise 3-7 attacks depending if you surge/horde break or not, hunters mark that you can move around pretty well due to no bonus action attack, 3 sneak attack die and due to ranged char a decent chance to get off a surprise nova now and then. :) also the high imitative will let me have advantage against pretty much all enemies on first combat round which is awesome with champion 19-20 crits.

Thoughts on this simple yet useful build?

Freemason Than
2016-04-15, 12:45 PM
Are you sure the campaign will even go to level 20?

Spacehamster
2016-04-15, 12:47 PM
Are you sure the campaign will even go to level 20?

Nope but since it's strong all the way it does not matter, just enjoy thinking what it can do at lvl 20 when it comes to build. :)
To clarify at start lvl 6 champion, decent strong base sitting at 10 initiative, good chance to get crits + sharpshooter and action surge ofc.
And after that there is not much "dead" levels
7 rogue1: Expertise, sneak attack die, 1 skill
8 rogue2: cunning action
9 rouge3: sneak attack die, poison kit, assassinate
10 ranger1: closest to dead level with not much happening but 1 skill is decent
11 ranger2: hunters mark, mariner combat style + some other ranger spells
12 ranger3: horde breaker
13 fighter7: remarkable athlete(+ half prof to initiative is nothing to sneeze at with assassinate)
14 fighter8: feat/asi, probably observant, resilient(WIS) or mobile not sure which.
15 rogue4: feat/asi
16-18 fighter 9-11: defense style, 3rd attack
19: rogue5: moar sneak attack
20: ranger4(or rogue6 for expertise not sure yet)