PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5e - character building/ Gish building]

evnaz
2016-04-15, 01:31 PM
Made a half elf Rogue character a while ago and we just resumed the campaign, we're only level two and it's a fairly low power campaign I'd like to make a self buff/sneaky/arcane strike gish if possible
I'd like some advice on what spells to use as well as feat, since I'm normally an exclusively mundane player, this is all new to me so help a brother out thanks in advance

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-15, 01:42 PM
If you want to be a sneaky gish, you could focus on spells allowing you to sneak attack by making your enemies flatfooted.
Off the top of my head,
-Glitterdust is very, very, very good (blinds enemies within a 10ft radius, ignores spell resistance)
-Grease is similarly good, though glitterdust IMO is better
-Distract Assailant is a swift action spell that makes them flatfooted, meaning you can cast it then gank them in the same turn. It does allow spell resistance though.
-Greater Invisibility is a little far down the road, but normal Invisibility is good for one sneak attack at least (among its other uses)

Have you thought what prestige classes you want to use? Arcane trickster, unseen seer and daggerspell mage would all be solid options, as they advance your sneak attack without losing too many caster levels. Unseen seer is probably the best of the three, but you could incorporate any (or multiple) of them without too much hassle.

evnaz
2016-04-15, 01:52 PM
I haven't decided on any form of prestige class yet, I'm really not sure which ones are worth taking or not

Edit: thinking about unseen seer

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-15, 02:01 PM
Since sneak attack also functions going off flanking, you could also invest in some summoning so as to always have big stinky meatshields to throw at the enemy, while you circle around and knife them in the kidneys.

Also, for the base spellcasting class, you could do worse than beguiler.

evnaz
2016-04-15, 02:07 PM
I was thinking someone with something like persist spell and some self buffs who'd use their magic to conceal themselves

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-15, 02:45 PM
Fair enough. If it's anything like a normal party, there should already be a big stinky meatshield :smallbiggrin: Do you have specific buff spells in mind?

Wraithstrike could be a very good investment - makes your melee attacks for one round touch attacks. Alternatively, you could use spectral weapon, but thats a higher level spell and doesn't let you use your own weapon.

Warrnan
2016-04-15, 03:50 PM
An Op but Fun build I like goes like this: rogue1/ wizard4/ unseen seer2/ incantatrix3/ unseen seer8/ arcane trickster2

Or replace the incantatrix with 1 more wiz level and 2 more arcane trickster at the end of the build if your dm throws a book at you.

This build gets some awesome persist spell with sneak attacks = or > the #d6 a rogue can get. Around 11 with incantatrix to 13d6 without incantatrix. The primary use for incantatrix in this build is simply persisting Hunter's eye at level 10. It's not as cheesy as it sounds. :)

Either way you'll be a skill monkey with nearly full wizard casting (behind one level).

I hear that using invisible spell metamagic works great on cloud of knives for a free action attack every round.