PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fighter Archetype for OotA?

Mongobear
2016-04-15, 02:34 PM
Starting an OotA campaign tomorrow, and I am making a Dwarf Fighter. My plan is to go PAM + GWM along with Resilient(Wisdom) then use my other ASI's to boost my main stats to 20 and makes my Wis/Dex saves not terrible.

((For the record, we rolled stats, and I am starting with a 20 Strength and 18 Con after Racial bonuses, the rest are pretty average, I think the next highest is a 14 Dex, lowest is a 9 Int. I pretty much have free reign to take as many Feats as I need to, I really only need 1 ASI for a 20 Con.))

My issue, is that I cannot decide which Martial Archetype to actually go for. The DM has OK'd Monster Hunter from the Gothic Heros Unearthed Arcana, and the SCAG options as well. I am currently torn between Champion and Monster Hunter, but I can't decide, and we start at noon tomorrow.

If I go Champion, I plan to take a MC level or two to get a way to have easy Advantage so I can abuse GWM more, if I go for Monster Hunter, I am just going straight Fighter 20 since I can Super Dice my attack rolls with GWM. Also, if I go Monster Hunter, I plan to use a few of my Feats for the extra Super Dice + Maneuver, AFB can't recall the name right now, to get Trip Attack and/or Shoving Attack.

Any input or suggestions for this?

R.Shackleford
2016-04-15, 02:44 PM
I would go Monster Hunter and then report back how the subclass worked out. :p

Champion won't give you anything you can't already do, monster hunter will give you features you can't already do.

Also I wouldn't worry about abusing GWM unless the DM has pushed you to do so, your damage output before GWM will be good enough.

Edit

Don't take the martial feat, it's pretty bad.

With that wisdom score boosted I would pick up magic initiate druid... A couple decent cantrips and Earth Tremor 1/day could be fun.

Mongobear
2016-04-15, 03:09 PM
I would go Monster Hunter and then report back how the subclass worked out. :p

That is why I originally asked about it, The UA article cme out the day after we decided to start a new module, and OotA was the one everyone voted for.

However, I have a few reservations about it, since its Superiority Feature is stronger than the Battlemaster, RAW they don't have the "Only 1 maneuver per attack." clause that a BM has, so if I really wanted, I could Nova every Super Dice into one attack, and destroy something. (Not that this is a good idea, since I would be running on an empty tank the rest of the day/until a rest.)

Champion won't give you anything you can't already do, monster hunter will give you features you can't already do.

Champion 18/Barbarian 2 was my plan for this route, and using Reckless Attacks to boost my chances of getting a critical out of Champion, + GWM/PAM shenanigans, maybe even Sentinel too.

Also I wouldn't worry about abusing GWM unless the DM has pushed you to do so, your damage output before GWM will be good enough.

I don't know what he is planning, but our group consists of 6 players, so I definitely see him boosting combat encounters a bit so we don't just out-action economy them.

Also, we had some RP activities to do ahead of starting, and the more involved we got, the higher level we got to start out as, this also had the caveat that if we are majority above the recommended starting level, he was going to boost the encounters to make the beginning more difficult. Most of us are starting in the prison cells at level 2 if not 3, so I am pretty sure there will be much stronger Drow in the starting area. (I happen to be starting at 3, so I will have my archetype stuff when I wake up in the Slave Pens.)

Edit

Don't take the martial feat, it's pretty bad.

I mostly was only thinking of taking it for the Trip/Shove Maneuvers, since they are so good, but since the MH has Superiority Dice, and the Feats wording makes it so the extra one is the same size/type as my own, I figured taking the Initiate feat twice and having 8 Super Dice/rest would be really good.

Plus, since I don't need to invest as many ASI's into actual stat increases, I can afford to take sub-optimal Feats. Right now, PAM. Sentinel, GWM, and Resilient(Wisdom) are definitely top of the list, after that I was thinking the Initiate Feat, Tough, Medium or Heavy Armor Mastery, or Alert would have some good uses.

With that wisdom score boosted I would pick up magic initiate druid... A couple decent cantrips and Earth Tremor 1/day could be fun.

Meh, I wasn't thinking of taking any sort of Spellcasting Feats, it mostly doesn't go with my character concept. Plus, to me, the idea of Dwarves with spells just doesn't make sense, I kinda have a Dragon Age setting view of Dwarves, and I don't really want to play Sandal.

Specter
2016-04-15, 03:11 PM
Between these two, it's really a matter of whether you want to make decisions in battle or not. If yes, Monster Hunter. If not, Champion.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-15, 03:31 PM
Yeah with 6 players, even if the other give don't focus on damage, you most likely won't need to optimize for it... Unless the DM wants you to (you should ask about play styles and stuff).

You really don't even need the barbarian levels. Fighter does fine, in terms of damage, and doesn't really need help (unless you need a magic weapon...).

Mongobear
2016-04-15, 03:56 PM
Yeah with 6 players, even if the other give don't focus on damage, you most likely won't need to optimize for it... Unless the DM wants you to (you should ask about play styles and stuff).

You really don't even need the barbarian levels. Fighter does fine, in terms of damage, and doesn't really need help (unless you need a magic weapon...).

Right now, we have the following afaik:

Me - Dwarf Fighter - GWM/PAM/Sentinel shenanigans
P2 - Dragonborn Assassin/Hunter MC - Archery/Finesse based.
P3 - Tiefling Valour Bard/Trickery Cleric MC - Support/Skirmisher using Finesse weapons.
P4 - Half-Elf Ancients Paladin - Not sure the style, only the race/class choice
P5 - High Elf Divination Wizard - Because Portent is gud. I think he mentioned taking a wide variety of spells, so he is basically a utility belt.
P6 - Var. Human Elements Monk - No idea, I wanna say he is another Skirmisher/Nova fighter.

As is, we have a LOT of possible Nova builds, so going Champion doesn't sound all that bad since I will have high potential DPR all the time. MH/BM was my idea since these boards seems to tout them so often as really good.