PDA

View Full Version : Goalposts tables?

Garresh
2016-04-15, 04:34 PM
I'm working on a 5e binder port and I'd like to take it in a different direction. There is a pretty damn good one on here (check it out if you havent), but I'm trying to do balancing for my own design and I was wondering if anyone had optimization goals or averages for a given level?

Basically I'm looking for DPR info by level or some things I can use to measure against a standardized metric, rather than rolling up and theocrafting comparisons by class, which is rather involving and tedious. Has anyone made anything like that?

JNAProductions
2016-04-15, 05:02 PM
Honestly, just build the class, then post it. We've got plenty of people here who can check it out and help you modify it to fit with 5E.

For me personally, I just go with my gut on a lot of things, and it works reasonably well.

Garresh
2016-04-15, 05:08 PM
I have two builds, and I'm not satisfied with either, but I'll drop it when I get home. Word or warning, it's about 17 pages, and I already redid it once, so upwards of 30.

Garresh
2016-04-15, 05:45 PM
Alright well, here goes.

Soulbinder take 1

Soulbinder

Hit dice: 1d8 hit die.

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Charisma, Wisdom
Skills: Choose 2 from Deception, Insight, History, Religion, Intimidation, Persuasion, Arcana
Soulbinder Class Table:
The Soulbinder

Level

Proficiency Bonus

Features

Soul Slots

Vestiges Known

Soul Points

Vestige Level

+2

Soul Binding

+2

Specialization

+2

1st Mystery

+2

Ability Score Improvement

+3

Specialization Feature

+3

+3

2nd Mystery

+3

+4

+4

Specialization Feature

+4

+4

+5

3rd Mystery

+5

Specialization Feature

+5

+5

+6

+6

4th Mystery

+6

+6

Ok, first of all, you need to define pact limit. I get the fact that at first level you can only bind with one vestige per day, but it needs to be explicitly stated.Done.
Soul Binding:
Each day, a binder may spend 10 minutes calling out the vestiges he or she wishes to bind. After performing the ritual, the binder selects a number of equal to their available soul slots, and becomes bound to them. You may only select vestiges from your list of vestiges known. While bound to the vestige, you may use any of its minor powers at will, and its lesser powers by expending soul points.

Vestiges known: You may only bind a vestige that you know(I like this). You gain additional vestiges when leveling up, in accordance with the vestiges known list on the class table. When you level up, you may also swap out one of the vestiges on your list of vestiges known, in order to learn a new one. You may never exceed your limit on vestiges known in this manner.(I don’t like this. Specify that you can only unlearn one to learn a new one)

Vestiges known are not recorded or stored in a physical form, and are simply memorized. Due to the alien and unnatural nature of vestiges, their seals resist being recorded or memorized. Mundane texts on binding have been known to spontaneously go blank, and attempts by the untrained to memorize a seal often fail as the knowledge refuses to stay with them. As such, while in some rare cases an intact text may be found on vestiges, most binders learn to access new vestiges from other vestiges.

Soul Points: Used to fuel Vestige abilities. Minors consume nothing, while Lessers consume a single point. Soul points recover on a short rest. Greaters do not consume points, but have other limitations. Usually they are once per short rest, but sometimes there are other effects.

Mystery Levels: 3, 7, 13, 18
Talents or specialization features which give the binder odd abilities, or ways to modify pacts.

At 2rd level, the Soulbinder picks a specialization.

Avatar - Avatars of the Pact choose to forego martial abilities to instead heighten their connection with their vestiges.

At 2rd Level, An Avatar of the Pact may overdraw power from a Vestige. Doing so allows the Avatar to use any of the vestiges abilities one last time, without spending Soul Points, even if the ability has already been used and requires a short or long rest. After doing so, the Avatar loses access to all of that vestiges abilities until they finish a short rest. This ability may only be used once per long rest. This seems a little intense. I like the idea, but sort of seems like a once per day get out of jail free card which undermines the resource management aspect of D&D.

Improved Binding: At level 5, avatars of the Pact may now utilize the Greater Powers of their vestiges.

Swift Invocation: At level 10, avatars of the Pact may now choose to spend 2 Soul points instead of 1 when using a lesser power that is used as an action, or a minor power that is used as an action. If they do so, this power instead can be used as a bonus action. Regardless, no other greater powers, lesser powers, or spells that aren't cantrips may be used on this turn.

Warden – Wardens of the Pact choose to increase their martial abilities and weave together soulcraft and swordplay.

At level 2, Wardens of the Pact gain proficiency with all Martial Weapons, Medium Armor, and Shields.

At level 5, Wardens gain an extra attack as the fighter class feature.(As long as this is a “caster” class, this should probably be level 6 to match valor bard/bladesinger)(If I move this up in its current form, it would make 5 something of a dead level. Good idea though. I'll see if I can shift things around.)

At level 10, Wardens of the Pact gain the ability to spend 1 soul point when making an attack roll, in order to gain +10 to that roll. You may make this choice after you see the roll, but before you know if the attack hits or misses(See War Domain Channel Divinity).(If you want to make it an autohit, as the intent of this seems to be, why not grant advantage, with damage effects for a miss? :/ )(I mostly picked this because I wanted to give them something that allowed them to boost melee skills, without being too strong. It was kind of a toss up between the war domain ability or the ability from Eldritch Knights but only for minor powers.)

Mysteries
Mysteries are features that a Soulbinder can learn which modify the nature of their connection to their Vestiges.

Escape Clause: Once per day, during a short rest, you may choose to expel a single vestige, freeing up that slot at no cost.(I assume this is where you mean pact limit slot, be more specific. Because if that is what that means, this is where your class starts to become stupid broken. This class immediately becomes anything I want to be given a short rest, by third level. ALSO. You had no cost specified to break a pact. So please specify at least that the 24 hour pact cannot be broken, or make a penalty. Alternatively, make some kind of penalty for breaking the pact using this. You can play basically 3 different class role types by, what, 5th level in the span of one day’s time?)(Yeah Gonna scrap this. I honestly don’t see it as particularly overpowered, but it doesn’t fit with the game anymore. Back in 3.5 there were lots of things that had stupid effects like this, but in 5e it would be an exclusively binder thing, and doesn’t fit with the game anymore.)

Skilled Negotiator: You have advantage on all binding checks.(Deprecated due to the removal of binding checks)

Favored Soul: You may gain boons from vestiges who you have poor pacts with. (Needs rework)

Favored Vestige: Choose when vestige when you learn this mystery. Your pacts are always treated as good with this vestige from now on, and you start with a boon from it after every binding.(Needs rework)

Marked Soul: Choose one vestige when you learn this mystery. You mark your body with the vestige's seal. From that point onward, you do not need to draw the seal of the vestige in order to make a pact with it. In addition once per day, if you are not bound to that vestige, you may bind to it as a standard action, expelling one other vestige of your choice if you are out of slots. This is permanent, and you may not exchange the marked vestige for another when leveling up.(This could be strong in the context of the other changes made, but I’m leaving it pending a better idea)

Spiritual Reserves: You gain 1 additional Soul Point, which replenishes as usual during a short rest.(I want to change this to once per day)

Soul Depletion: You can convert a good pact to a poor pact as a bonus action. Doing this grants you your choice of either an extra soul point, or a boon for that vestige.(Needs rework)

Soul Transference: You may spend soul boons from one vestige to enhance another vestige's abilities, or pay off another vestiges soul debts.(Needs rework)

Knowledge from Beyond: You gain 2 additional vestiges known, and may exchange 2 vestiges on a level up instead of one.

Trickle Down Necronomics: As a bonus action, you may expend a use of a vestige's greater power in order to gain 2 extra Soul Points. You may only do this once per day.

Vestiges:
Amon – Void Before The Altar – lvl 1
Minor:
Spit Fire: Firebolt as the cantrip, except it comes out as a breath attack. It only requires verbal components.(What does this mean.)(Clarified)

Darkvision 60 Feet.

Rams Horns: You gain a set of curling rams horns, which are a natural attack that does 1d6 damage + Strength. Additionally, if you use a dash action and move a total distance greater than your movement speed, you may use a bonus action to attack with the horn. If you have the extra attack feature, you may attack twice. This feature is capped at 2 extra attacks regardless of additional attacks you may have.

Lesser:

Breathe Fire(1): As the spell Burning Hands, but requiring only verbal components. Damage increases by 1d6 for every 2 levels above 1st, up to a maximum of 10d6 damage. Reflex Half.

Rending Charge(1): When you use a bonus action to attack with your Rams Horns following a dash, you may spend 1 soul point to deal an additional +5 damage on each attack. At 9th level this increases to +10 damage.

Greater:
Gout of Flame:Spews forth a line of fire 100 feet long which does 8d6 fire damage, +1d6 damage for every 2 levels above 5th, up to a maximum of 12d6 damage. Reflex Half. After using this ability, you cannot use it again until you finish a short rest.

Aym – Queen Avarice – lvl 1

Minor:
Dwarven Step – You are not slowed by the required strength for heavy armor, and are proficient with medium armor.

Flame Touch – As a standard action, you can make a touch attack against a target. On hit, the targets takes 1d10 damage. Damage increases to 2d10 at level 5, 3d10 at level 11, and 4d10 at level 17.

You gain resistance to Fire.

Ruinous Attack – You have advantage on attack rolls against objects and constructs.

Lesser:

Halo of Flame(1)– As a reaction to taking damage, you may cause the creature that damaged you to make a reflex save. It takes 2d10 fire damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one. The damage increases by 1d10 for every 3 levels above 1st, to a maximum of 7d10.

Greater:
Avarice Incarnate – As the spell Shatter, except it does 5d8 damage, and has a 20 foot radius. Damage increases by 1d8 for every 2 levels above 5th, to a maximum of 10d8. After using this ability, it cannot be used again until you finish a short rest.

Leraje – The Green Herald – lvl 1

Minor:
You have proficiency in stealth checks

You have darkvision 60 feet.

You are proficient with longbows and shortbows

You gain +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

At 5th level you can ignore partial and 3/4ths cover, and do not attack at disadvantage at falloff.

Lesser:

Hunter's Mark(1): As the spell.

Greater:

Shadow Arrows: As the spell Flame Arrow, excepting doing cold damage. If no ammunition is available, magical ammunition is created which disperses after being fired, or the spell ends.12 rounds are enhanced/generated, with an additional 2 for each level above 5th. At 13th level, the damage increases to 2d6 damage. After using this ability, you cannot use it again until you finish a short rest.

Naberius – The Grinning Hound – Lvl 1

Minor:

You have proficiency in bluff and persuasion.

Vicious Mockery at will, as the cantrip.

Lesser:

Disguise Self(1): As the spell

Command(1):As the Spell.

Greater:

Suggestion: As the spell. After being used, this cannot be used again until after you finish a short rest.
At level 13, this improves to Mass Suggestion.

Ronove – The Iron Maiden – Lvl 2

Minor:

You gain Mage Hand

You gain Martial Arts as though you were a monk, if you don't already have it. This ability requires you only fight with your fists, and that you not wear armor or a shield. Your damage matches the equivalent monk unarmed damage on the monk class table.

Lesser:

Feather Fall(1) – You may cast feather fall as the spell.

Flurry of Blows(1): When fighting using Martial Arts, you may spend a Soul Point as a bonus action to take an extra unarmed attack. If you have the Extra Attack class feature, you may instead take 2 extra attacks.

Ronove's Haste(1): As a bonus action, you can take a Dash action as the spell Expeditious Retreat. If used in this way, you can sustain it as the spell, using Concentration.

Greater:

Lesser Telekinesis(1)(Concentration): As a standard action, starting on the turn that this ability is used, you can move any one unattended object 15 feet per round. It must weigh less than your carrying capacity, and cannot be used to cause harm or make attacks. Alternatively, you can attempt to push a creature up to 15 feet away from you. The creature makes a strength saving throw against this effect. If concentrated on, this lasts for 1 minute. This ability cannot be used again until you finish a short rest.

At level 11, this upgrades to Telekinesis, as the spell. This ability cannot be used again until you finish a short rest.(You do not specify that this can only be used once per short rest.)(Good catch. It does now :p )

Dahlver Nar – The Tortured One – Level 2
Minor:

Mad Soul: You gain advantage on saving throws against any confusion, madness, or insanity effects.

Natural Armor: When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + Dexterity.
When you are wearing armor, you gain +1 to AC as the Fighter Defensive Fighting Style. This does not stack with the Fighter class feature.

Lesser:

Pain Link(1): As a standard action, you select a willing creature within a range of 60 feet, and link your souls. So long as you remain within range, all damage that would be dealt to one of you is split evenly between both of you. You can choose to block the transfer along one direction. For example, you could choose to take their split damage, but keep all of your own(keeping them much safer while putting yourself at risk). Or you could greedily force them to absorb your damage without reciprocating. Regardless, you can change the type of link you have, or break the link as a Standard action. This effect lasts until you take a rest, or until you use it on another creature. The link immediately breaks if the distance between you exceeds 60 feet.

Dissonant Whispers(1): As the Bard Spell. Damage increases by 1d6 for every 2 levels above 3rd.

Greater:

Maddening Moan: As a standard action, you release a wail in a 30 foot radius around you. Every hostile creature must succeed on a wisdom save or become incapacitated for 1 round. This ability cannot be used again until you finish a short rest.

At 9th level, you may instead choose to have the targets afflicted with Confusion instead, as the spell. This requires concentration to maintain, as the spell.

Haagenti – Mother of Minotaurs – lvl 2
Minor:

Shape Water: As the cantrip.

Immunity to Polymorph, Petrification. You may choose to allow individual effects to bypass this immunity, but otherwise you cannot be shapechanged by any means.

You are proficient with shields, greataxes, hand axes, throwing axes, and battleaxes.

Lesser:

Confusing Touch(1): As a standard action, you can make a spell touch attack. On a hit, the creature gains the Confused status effect as the spell for a duration of 1 minute. At the end of each of its turns, it gets another save. This does not require concentration.

Greater:

Gaseous Form: As the spell. You must finish a short rest before you can use this again.

Malphas – The Turnfeather – Lvl 2
Minor:
Hawk Familiar – At will, you can summon a Hawk familiar as a standard action. You may only have one, but if it dies you can simply resummon it as a standard action. Use the rules for Familiars under Find Familiar to determine what the creature can or can’t do.

Poison Spray – As the cantrip.

Sneak attack – As the rogue class feature. You get 1d6 sneak attack damage + an additional 1d6 for every 5 levels above 3rd.
This stacks with other sources of sneak attack, but cannot exceed what a rogue would be capable of at your level.(Dev note: It shouldn't even be possible to exceed a rogue using this, but if someone manages to break things then this should be a deterrent against abuse)

Lesser:

Blur(1) – as the spell.

Greater:

Invisibility - as the spell. This cannot be used again until you finish a short rest.
At level 9, it improves to be able to be cast as Greater Invisibility

Savnok – The Instigator – lvl 3
Minor:

Call Armor – As a full round action, you can summon a set of Full Plate which is immediately equipped onto your body. It is identical in all ways to mundane Full Plate, however it also grants resistance to bludgeoning and slashing damage. You are always proficient with this armor, and can ignore any movement speed reductions as a result of wearing it without meeting the strength requirements. This armor cannot be removed, and if it is removed by any means it immediately vanishes. The armor can be dismissed as a free action.

Friends – As the cantrip.

Lesser:

Move Ally(1) – You may instantly swap position with an ally within 30 feet as a bonus action. The ally must be willing.

Shield(1) – As the spell.

Greater:
Sanctuary – As the spell. This requires a short rest before it may be used again.
At 9th level, attackers who succeed on their save still have disadvantage on their attack rolls against the target..
At 13th level, the target also has advantage on all spell saving throws.

Andromalius – The Repentant Rogue – lvl 3
Minor:

You have proficiency in Insight

Sneak Attack: You gain an additional 2d6 sneak attack damage, plus 1d6 for every 5 levels above 5th.
This stacks with other sources of sneak attack, but cannot exceed what a rogue would be capable of at your level.(Dev note: It shouldn't even be possible to exceed a rogue using this, but if someone manages to break things then this should be a deterrent against abuse)

Lesser:

Tasha's Hideous Laughter(1) – As the spell.

Locate Object(1) – As the spell.

See Invisibility (1)- As the Spell. At 13th level, it improves to function as True Seeing.

Greater:

Clairvoyance – As the spell. Requires a short rest between uses.

Focalor – The Prince of Tears – lvl 3
Minor:

You can breathe water as well as air.

Lightning Strike – You can fire bolts of lightning as a standard action. This is effectively identical to fire bolt except it does lightning damage.

Lesser:

Focalor's Breath(1) – As a standard action, you can breathe at a creature within 30 feet, blinding it. This is otherwise identical to the spell Blindness/Deafness, except it only blinds. The creature can save against it on subsequent turns.

Aura of Sadness(1) – As a bonus action, you can radiate an aura which gives any creature within 5 feet of you disadvantage on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks. This can affect friendly creatures. This lasts for 1 minute, and requires concentration.

Greater:

Lightning Bolt: As the spell. After using this you cannot use it again until you finish a short rest.

Paimon – The Dancer – lvl 3
Minor:

You gain proficiency with rapiers and short swords.

Dueling Style: As the fighter class feature.

Lesser:

Uncanny Dodge(1): As the rogue class feature.

Dance of Death(1): As a full round action, you may move a distance up to your full speed, provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. For each creature you move into melee range with, you may attack that creature once. You may attack a maximum number of creatures equal to double your attack limit for your attack actions(As affected by the extra attack: 2 for base. 4 If you have extra attack.).

Paimon's Grace(1): As a bonus action, you can grant yourself advantage on all dexterity checks, for up to an hour. Requires concentration.

Greater:

Haste: As the spell. Once you use this you must finish a short rest before you can use it again.

Karsus – Hubris in the Blood – lvl 4
//we gon come back to dis

Andras – The Gray Knight – lvl 4
Minor:

Weapon Proficiencies – Longsword, Lance, Rapier, Greatsword

Improved Critical – Your weapon attack score a critical hit on a 19-20.

You have advantage on handle animal checks involving mounts.

Lesser:

Conjure Warhorse (1) – You can summon a trained warhorse, complete with lance and saddle. It lasts until the end of the die, it dies, or you take a short rest, whichever comes first.

Divine Smite (1) – When you hit a creature with a melee attack, you may expend a Soul Point to do an extra 2d8 radiant damage. This damage increases by 1d8 for every 3 levels above 7th, to a maximum of 5d8.

Greater:

Sow Discord – As a standard action, you can force an enemy within 30 feet to spend its next attack action attacking a randomly/DM determined ally. If no ally is in range, or the creature is not aware of an ally within range, this ability has no effect. Will save negates. You must finish a short rest before you can use this ability again.

Buer – Grandmother Huntress – lvl 4
Minor:

You have resistance to damage from poisons and diseases, and advantage on saves against poisons or diseases. At the time of binding, you may take a free save against any diseases or poisons affecting you, with no penalties for failure.

You have proficiency in Knowledge(Nature) and Medicine, and Survival checks.

Aura of Purity: Allies within 30 feet of you can make saves against diseases and poisons at advantage

Lesser:

Healing Touch(1): As an action, you can touch a creature to cause it to regain hit points equal to 4d8 plus your charisma modifier. This increases by an additional 1d8 for every 2 levels above 7th, to a maximum of 7d8.

Healing Word(1): As a bonus action, a creature within 60 feet of you regains hit points equal to 4d4 + your charisma modifier. This increases by 1d4 for every 2 levels above 7th, to a maximum of 7d4.

Greater:

Preserve Life: As an action, you can heal an amount equal to 4 times your binder level, divided among any number of creatures you select within 30 feet. A creature can be restored to no more than half its hit point maximum in this manner. You cannot use this feature again until you finish a short rest.

Garresh
2016-04-15, 05:48 PM
Trailing end of take 1.

Eurynome – Mother of the Material – lvl 4
Minor:

All animals are initially friendly towards you.

You have resistance to piercing, bludgeoning, and slashing damage.

Poison Blood – Any creature that strike you in melee must make a reflex save, or takes 2d6 points of poison damage, which increases by 1d6 for every 3 levels above 7, up to a maximum of 5d6.

Water Walk – You can walk on liquids as the spell water walk.

Lesser:

Eurynome's Maul(1) – As a standard action, you can conjure a +1 Maul, you are proficient with, and capable of wielding as though it were a one handed weapon. The maul lasts until it leaves your hand, you finish or a short rest, or the pact ends, whichever comes first.

Greater:

Control Water, as the spell. Once used, you require a short rest before you can use it again.

Tenebrous – Shadow that Was – lvl 5
Minor:

True Darkvision: You can see through darkness, even of the magical variety.

Lesser:

Clinging Darkness(1): As the spell, except the darkness is permanently centered on you, and moves with you.

Flicker(1): As a reaction to being attacked, you gain +5 AC against that attack, and can vanish and reappear anywhere within 30 feet.

Touch of the Void(1): As a bonus action, you can charge one melee weapon(natural or otherwise) with cold energy. All attacks with that weapon on this turn deal an extra 1d8 cold damage. This damage increases by 1d8 for every 5 levels above 9th.

Greater:

Destroy Undead: You turn undead as though you were a cleric of the same level as your soulbinder level. Undead who fail their saves are destroyed as per the Destroy Undead table of a cleric.

Agares – Truth Betrayed – lvl 5
Minor:

You can understand, read, write, and speak all language spoken by creatures within 30 feet of you. To gain a new language in this manner, you must hear it spoken, or read it, at least once. A language gained in this manner persists until the end of the pact(so at most 24 hours). While speaking any language gained in this manner, you are incapable of lying.

You have advantage on saves against fear.

Master of Earth and Air: You gain +2 on attack rolls if both you and the target are touching the ground. Creatures that are not touching the ground have -2 on attack rolls against you if you're touching the ground.

Lesser:

Earthshaking Step(1): As the spell Earth Tremor, but starting at 4d6 damage. This damage increases by 1d6 for every 2 levels above 9th, to a maximum of 7d6.

Greater:

You may summon an earth elemental, as the spell Conjure Elemental. After using this, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again. At 13th level, you must only finish a short rest to regain this power.

Balam – the Bitter Angel – lvl 5
Minor:

Ray of Frost: As the cantrip, except a targeted gaze attack.

True Strike: As the cantrip, at will.

Prescience: You get a +2 bonus to AC, reflex saves, and initiative rolls.

Lesser:

Balam's Cunning(1): You may roll an additional d20 on any attack roll, saving throw, skill check, as though you were using a Luck reroll from the Luck feat.

Greater:

When you bind Balam, you roll a d20, and record the result. You may use this roll in place of another roll, as per the Wizard's Portent class feature. This is subject to all the same limitations as that feature. Whenever you take a short rest, any unused rolls are lost, and you roll a new d20.

Dantalion – The Star Emperor – lvl 5
Minor:

Dantalion Knows: You have proficiency in all knowledge checks.

Lesser:

Awe of Dantalion(1): As a move action, you can cause any creature that sees you to be unable to attack you or target you with hostile spells or effects for 1 round. This effect ends prematurely if you take any hostile actions against the targets or their friends.

Read Thoughts(1): As a standard action you can attempt to read the thoughts of any creature you can see within 30 feet. If the creature fails a will save, you hear its surface thoughts for as long as you concentrate. If you attempt to read the thoughts of a creature who has vastly superior intellect to yours(10 higher intelligence, or DM discretion), you are stunned and automatically fail.

Thought Travel(1): You can teleport to a location you can see within 30 feet as a standard action.

Greater:

Rary's Telepathic Bond, as the spell. Once used, you cannot use this again until after you finish a short rest.

Take 2:

Soulbinder:

Hit dice: 1d8 hit die.

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Charisma, Wisdom
Skills: Choose 2 from Deception, Insight, History, Religion, Intimidation, Persuasion, Arcana
Soulbinder Class Table:
The Soulbinder

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Soul Slots
Vestiges Known
Vestige Level
Spell Slots
Slot Level
+2
Soul Binding
1st
1st
+2

1st
1st
+2
Specialization
2nd
1st
+2
2nd
1st
+3

3rd
1st
+3
Specialization Feature
3rd
1st
+3

4th
2nd
+3
4th
2nd
+4

5th
2nd
+4
Specialization Feature
5th
2nd
+4

6th
2nd
+4
6th
2nd
+5

7th
3rd
+5
Specialization Feature
7th
3rd
+5

8th
3rd
+5
8th
3rd
+6

9th
3rd
+6

9th
3rd
+6
9th
4th
+6

9th
4th

Soul Binding:
Each day, a binder may spend 10 minutes calling out the vestiges he or she wishes to bind. After performing the ritual, the binder selects a number of equal to their available soul slots, and becomes bound to them. You may only select vestiges from your list of vestiges known. While bound to the vestige, you gain access to some, but not all, of its powers. Unless otherwise stated, when bound to a vestige you only gain access to its Manifestation, its Lesser Powers, and its Spells Known. Improved Manifestations and Greater Powers are not accessible. Additionally, spells known through a vestige may only be cast using binder spell slots. They are not transferrable to magic gained from other sources. Likewise, spells learned from other methods may not be cast using binder spell slots.

Vestiges known: You may only bind a vestige that you know. You gain additional vestiges when leveling up, in accordance with the vestiges known list on the class table. When you level up, you may also swap out one of the vestiges on your list of vestiges known, in order to learn a new one. You may never exceed your limit on vestiges known in this manner.

Vestiges known are not recorded or stored in a physical form, and are simply memorized. Due to the alien and unnatural nature of vestiges, their seals resist being recorded or memorized. Mundane texts on binding have been known to spontaneously go blank, and attempts by the untrained to memorize a seal often fail as the knowledge refuses to stay with them. As such, while in some rare cases an intact text may be found on vestiges, most binders learn to access new vestiges from other vestiges. This is a boon and a curse, as while knowledge of binders is elusive, paladins and clerics often mistake pact magic for consorting with fiends.

Vestige Attributes

Lesser Powers: These are at will abilities that are available to anyone who is bound to the vestige. Typically, they are small effects or cantrips. If they call for a save or an attack roll other than a base attack, charisma is used for calculating DCs and attack bonuses.

Manifestation: Every vestige has a manifestation, which is a form that it can grant to the binder. As an action, a binder may take on the manifestation of one of the vestiges to which he is currently bound. In doing so, he gains all attributes, abilities, and effects of the manifestation. If a manifestation grants a bonus, it stacks with other binder effects unless otherwise stated. If the manifestation has an attribute which is simply a flat change, it always overrides the base attributes of the binder, after which bonuses are applied normally.

For example, Agares changes the binders movement speed to 20ft. If the binder casts Expeditious Retreat and moves as a dash action, the binder still moves only 20 feet. This can be increased by means of spells which modify movement, such as Haste. In that case, the binder can move 40 feet using a move or dash action.

A binder may only have one vestige manifested as a given time, but can change their active manifestation with an action at any time(among the vestige they are currently bound to). Manifesting a vestige does not prohibit you from using lesser powers of other vestiges you are bound to.

Improved Manifestation: These are only available to Aspects of the Pact when they have gained that specialization feature. They are in addition to the base manifestation features.

Spells Known: Every vestige has a spells known table, which is directly given to the binder as soon as the vestige is manifested. Vestiges have spells of several levels, and a binder must have a binder spell slot of that level or higher in order to gain that knowledge. A level 1 binder who binds to Amon will not gain knowledge of Fireball. Additionally, a 10th level wizard who multiclasses into binder and binds amon will not gain that knowledge either. The knowledge he gains of burning hands cannot be used with Wizard spell slots in that case. Pact magic slots and spells known are alien and non-transferrable.

Remember, you only know the spells of a vestige you are currently manifesting, so you must change which vestige you have manifested in order to change spell lists.

Soulsurge: Each vestige has a soul surge power. This power cannot be used until you unlock the Avatar specialization feature at level 10. Soul surges may only be used once per day long rest.

Spellcasting: The Binder table shows how many spell slots you have, along with the level of those spell slots. Unlike other casters, you do not gain spells known by leveling up. Your spells known list on a given day is determined entirely by the vestiges you are bound to. If you have 2 vestiges, you have 2 spell lists, which share the same spell slots. All spells gained by vestiges and cast this way are cast through Charisma, and have the appropriate save DC and attack roll bonuses. Expended spell slots recover after a short or a long rest.

At 3rd level, the Soulbinder picks a specialization.

They may choose to become an Aspect of the Seal, or an Avatar of the Pact. Aspects focus on taking on the manifestations of their vestiges, granting bizarre physical powers and improve combat abilities. Avatars focus on delving deeper into the knowledge of the unknown, in the hope of seeking out new and strange magics.

Avatar - Avatars of the Pact choose to forego martial abilities to instead heighten their knowledge gained from their vestiges.

At 3rd Level, Avatars of the Pact gain additional spell slots, as detailed on the following spell table. These are in addition to the spell slots gained by all binders. For example, a 10th level binder would have 2 spell slots of 5th level, and 2 spell slots of 2nd level. Like the spell slots on the main table, these spell slots recover following a short or long rest.

Binder Level
Slot Level
Spell Slots
2nd
2nd
3rd
3rd
4th
4th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th
5th

Unleashed Pact: At level 6, an Avatar of the Pact may overdraw from a vestige once per day. In doing so, the Avatar may cast any spell that a vestige they are bound to grants, without using a spell slot. The spell is treated as being cast using your highest spell slot. After doing this, the vestige becomes dormant, and you gain none of its powers, knowledge, or effects until you complete a short rest. This may not be used with a Soulsurge.

Soulsurge: At level 10, you gain the ability to use the Soul Surge abilities of any vestige you are currently manifesting, and you may now manifest a vestige as a bonus action instead of a regular action.

Pact Renegotiation: At level 14, Avatars of the Pact may swap out a vestige once per day. To do so, the Avatar must take a short rest, and spend 10 minutes redoing the ritual of binding. After completing the ritual, you choose to expel one vestige to which you are currently bound, and then immediately bind to another vestige of your choice from those on your Vestiges Known list.

Aspects – Aspects of the Vestige choose to increase their martial abilities by taking their vestiges wholly into their bodies. In doing so, they weave together shapeshifting, pact magic, and swordplay.

At level 3, Aspects of the Pact gain proficiency with all Martial Weapons, Medium Armor, and Shields. They also gain access to the improved manifestations of all vestiges to which they bind.

At level 6, Aspects gain an extra attack as the fighter class feature.

At level 10, Aspects may manifest 2 vestiges at the same time. As a bonus action, they manifest any 2 of their currently bound vestiges, and gain all of their abilities concurrently. This lasts for 10 rounds, after which it cannot be used again until you complete a long rest.

At level 14, you may use your ability to manifest 2 vestiges at the same time once per short rest. Aspects of the Pact may now manifest a vestige as a bonus action instead of an action.

Vestiges:

Amon – Void Before The Altar – lvl 1
Lesser
Fire Bolt - As the Cantrip

Manifestation: Your eyes glow red and you sprout rams horns.

Darkvision 60 Feet.

Rams Horns: You gain a set of curling rams horns, which are a natural attack that does 1d6 damage + Strength. Additionally, if you use a dash action and move a total distance greater than your movement speed, you may use a bonus action to attack with the horn. If you have the extra attack feature, you may attack twice. This feature is capped at 2 extra attacks regardless of additional attacks you may have.

Improved Manifestation:

Hateful Determination: Whenever you are attacked by a creature while another enemy creature is in melee range, you have +2 AC against that attack,

Rams Horns: At level 8, when you perform a dash and attack with rams horn as a bonus action, it does an additional 2d6 damage.

Flametongue: You spit fire on your weapons, and your horns glow with heat. Your melee attacks do an extra 1d4 fire damage. At 5th level, the damage increases to 1d6. At 11th level it increases to 2d6. At 15th level, it increases to 3d6.

Spells Known:
1: Burning Hands
2: Scorching Ray
3: Fireball
4: Fire Shield
5: Immolation

Soul Surge: As an action, you reach out to a creature within 60 feet and invoke Amon’s Mark. The creature must make a will save or suffer 15d6 fire damage, and become stunned for one round. On a successful save, the mark rebounds, and you must roll a will save or take the full effect. If you succeed, the mark dissipates. If this ability causes a creature to fall unconscious(including you), that creature bursts into flames and takes 1d6 fire damage at the start of their turn for the next 3 rounds. This fire may not be extinguished by mundane means. The initial damage increases by 3d6 for every 2 Binder levels above 10th. If you are hit by this ability when you cast it, you may not benefit from fire immunity against it.

Aym – Queen Avarice – lvl 1

Lesser:
Green Flame Blade: As the cantrip.

Manifestation: You seem to shrink in size and your armor and skin take on a golden pallor. You bear a star shaped brand on your forehead.

Dwarven Step – You are not slowed by the required strength for heavy armor, and are proficient with medium armor. If you are already proficient with medium armor, you gain proficiency with heavy armor.

Defensive Fighting Style: +1 to AC while wearing armor.(This does not stack with other sources of Defensive Fighting Style)

Improved Manifestation:

You gain resistance to Fire. At level 11 you gain immunity to fire.

Any creature that strikes you in melee takes 2d6 fire damage.
You may use an attack action to make a charisma based attack roll to deal 2d6 fire damage to a creature in melee range. This attack does not benefit from other attack enhancements. The damage increases to 3d6 at level 11, and 4d6 at level 17.

Ruinous Attack – You have advantage on attack rolls against objects and constructs.

Spells Known
1: Hellish Rebuke
2: Flame Blade
3: Melf’s Minute Meteors
4: Wall of Fire
5: Immolation

Soul Surge: At level 11, You may cast Investiture of Flame as the spell. After using this ability, you may not use it again until you take a long rest.

Leraje – The Green Herald – lvl 1

Lesser:
True Strike - As the Cantrip

Manifestation: Your skin takes on a dull green hue, and you seem to naturally blend in with your environment.

You have proficiency in stealth checks

You have darkvision 60 feet.

You gain +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

Improved Manifestation: You seem to be covered in a camouflage. Your clothes and skin match with whatever is behind you.

You can ignore partial and 3/4ths cover, and do not have disadvantage when attacking beyond normal range.

Ricochet: Once per turn, when you attack a creature with a ranged weapon, you may make another attack against a creature within 5 feet of your target. This second attack is at a -4 penalty.

Spells Known
1: Hunter’s Mark
2: Silence
3: Lightning Arrow
4: Grasping Vine
5: Commune With Nature

Soul Surge: At level 11, You may cast Wind Walk once per long rest.

Naberius – The Grinning Hound – Lvl 2
Lesser

Vicious Mockery - As the cantrip.

Manifestation: Your voice deepens and takes on a gravelly, growling tone.

You have proficiency in Deception and Persuasion.

When making an ability check for a skill you are not proficient in, you may add half your proficiency bonus.

Improved Manifestation: You gain near perfect control of your voice, and the ability to shift appearance at will. In addition, you gain some of Naberius’s knowledge and knack for improvisation.

Naberius’s Inspiration: As a bonus action, you may expend a spell slot to grant a creature within 60 feet(other than yourself) inspiration for 10 minutes. This functions identically to a bardic inspiration die. A 1st level slot grants a 1d6, a 2nd level slot grants a 1d8, a 3rd level slot grants a 1d10, and a 4th level slot grants a 1d12.

Clever Ruse: As a bonus action, you may use the Help action to grant advantage to an ally for one attack roll against a creature within 5 feet of you.

You may change your appearance as the spell Disguise Self at will.

You have advantage on Deception and Performance checks made to pretend to be someone else.

Spells Known
1: Command
2: Suggestion
3: Remove Curse
4; Compulsion
5: Dominate Person

Soul Surge: At level 11, you may cast Mass Suggestion as the spell. After doing this, you must complete a long rest before using it again.

Ronove – The Iron Maiden – Lvl 2

Lesser

Mage Hand: As the cantrip.

Manifestation - You seem lighter on your feet. Otherwise, you are unchanged.

You gain Martial Arts as though you were a monk, if you don't already have it. This ability requires you only fight with your fists, and that you not wear armor or a shield. Your damage matches the equivalent monk unarmed damage on the monk class table.

Your movement speed increases by 10 while unarmored.

Improved Manifestation - No physical changes.

Unarmored Defense- As the Monk ability

Flurry of Blows - After taking an attack action with martial arts, you may as a bonus action expend one spell slot to gain 2 extra unarmed strikes.

At level 8, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance.

You gain advantage on any attacks or athletics checks made to shove a creature.

Spells Known
1: Feather Fall
2: Enhance Ability
3: Feign Death
4: Freedom of Movement
5: Telekinesis

Soul Surge: Ascension. As a reaction to being hit with an attack or spell, or failing a save against a effect, you may step out of reality avoiding the effect. You stay phased out for your next turn, and return to reality at the beginning of your following turn. While phased, time does not pass for you, and positive and negative effects do not damage or heal you. Likewise, you do not need to make any saves on that turn, but will resume making saves as normal when you return. You return to the space you were in before. Otherwise, you appear in the closest unoccupied space. Once you do this, you cannot do it again until you take a long rest.

Dahlver Nar – The Tortured One – Level 2

Lesser

Eldritch Blast - As the cantrip.

Manifestation: Your scalp becomes covered with teeth.

Mad Soul: You gain advantage on saving throws against any confusion, madness, or insanity effects.

Natural Armor: When you aren't wearing armor, your AC is equal to 13 + Dexterity.
When you are wearing armor, you gain +1 to AC as the Fighter Defensive Fighting Style. This does not stack with the others sources of Defensive Fighting class feature.

Improved Manifestation: Your eyes turn black and your skin all over your body sprouts teeth.

You have advantage on grapple checks checks.

You gain resistance to psychic damage.

Drain Hope: You gain a melee bite attack which gains bonus to hit and damage from charisma, instead of strength. It hits for 1d8+cha psychic damage. Whenever you use this attack to a creature that is being grappled, that creature must roll a Wisdom save or become frightened for 1 round.

Share Pain: As a standard action, you select a willing creature within a range of 60 feet, and link your souls. So long as you remain within range, all damage that would be dealt to one of you is split evenly between both of you. You can choose to block the transfer along one direction. For example, you could choose to take their split damage, but keep all of your own(keeping them much safer while putting yourself at risk). Or you could greedily force them to absorb your damage without reciprocating. Regardless, you can change the type of link you have, or break the link as an Action. This effect lasts until you take a rest, or until you use it on another creature. The link immediately breaks if the distance between you exceeds 60 feet.

Spells Known

1: Dissonant Whispers
2: Hold Person
3: Fear
4: Confusion
5: Hold Monster

Soul Surge:
At level 11, you may cast True Seeing once per long rest.

Garresh
2016-04-15, 06:00 PM
Rest of take 2

Malphas – The Turnfeather – Lvl 3

Lesser:

Poison Spray – As the cantrip.

Manifestation: Your teeth and tongue turn black.

You have proficiency with Stealth.

Sneak attack – As the rogue class feature. You gain additional sneak attack dice as though you were a rogue of a level equal to half your binder level(round up).

Improved Manifestation: Your hair turns a dark black, if it is not already.

You become proficient with a poisoner’s kit.

Any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

Spells Known:

1: Find Familiar
2: Invisibility
3: Nondetection
4: Greater Invisibility
5: Cloudkill

Soul Surge: At level 11, you may cast the spell Harm once per long rest.

Savnok – The Instigator – lvl 3

Lesser Powers:

Friends – As the cantrip.

Manifestation: A small arrow protrudes from your knee. If removed or broken off, another arrow replaces it soon thereafter. This arrow causes you no harm or discomfort, save for the desire to retire from adventuring.

You gain heavy armor proficiency.

Defensive Fighting Style - As the fighter class feature. +1 to AC.

Call Armor – As a full round action, you can summon a set of Full Plate which is immediately equipped onto your body. It is identical in all ways to mundane Full Plate, however if you break your manifestation or binding with Savnok, or remove the armor from your body, it immediately disappears. It may be dismissed as an action.

Improved Manifestation:

The armor created by Call Armor grants resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. You are always proficient with this armor, and can ignore any movement speed reductions as a result of wearing it without meeting the strength requirements. Additionally, if you are wearing any magical armor when you Call Armor, those magical effects merge into the armor for the duration. You do not gain any of the armor bonuses of the melded armor, but if it was +1, your Called Armor would be +1.

At level 10, your gain an additional +1 AC which stacks with everything.

Move Ally – You may expend a spell slot to instantly swap position with a willing ally within 30 feet as a reaction to an attack striking them. The attack is made against you instead, striking you if the roll beats your AC.

Spells Known:
1: Shield
2: Misty Step
3: Protection From Energy
4; Dimension Door
5: Wall of Force

Soul Surge: At level 11, you may cast Globe of Invulnerability as a 6th level spell. For every 2 levels above 11, you treat it as though it were being cast by a higher level, to a max of a 9th level spell slot. Once you cast this, you must take a long rest before doing so again.

Andromalius – The Repentant Rogue – lvl 3

Lesser Powers:

Prestidigitation: As the Cantrip

Vicious Mockery: As the Cantrip

Manifestation: You have an extra digit on each hand and toe.

You have proficiency in Insight

Sneak attack – As the rogue class feature. You gain additional sneak attack dice as though you were a rogue of a level equal to half your binder level(round up).

Improved Manifestation:

You can use Cunning Action, as the Rogue class feature, but only to take Dash actions.

Spells Known:
1:Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
2: Locate Object
3: Major Image
4: Banishment
5: Animate Objects

Soul Surge:
You may cast Mislead once per day, as a bonus action, reaction, with several changes. If used as a reaction, it automatically blocks the attack that triggered it, but ends immediately after. Otherwise, the duration decreases to Concentration up to 1 minute(from Concentration up to 1 hour). For the duration, you may attack and cast spells without disrupting your invisibility. You may also cast spells using your duplicate as an origin point using your own senses. The duplicate can allow sneak attacks on attack rolls against an enemy if it and an ally are in range of the same enemy. However, the spell ends early if your illusory double is hit by an attack. AoE spells and mind effects automatically miss. Your duplicate has an AC of 10 + your dexterity modifier. Finally, if you cast a spell using your duplicate as an origin point, it may concentrate on that spell for you if that spell was learned from Andromalius’s spell list.. If it disappears due to expiring or being hit, the spell it was concentrating on ends as well. After doing so, you must finish a long rest before you may do so again.

Focalor – The Prince of Tears – lvl 4

Lesser Powers:
Lightning Lure - As the cantrip.
Shocking Grasp - As the cantrip.

Manifestation: Your eyes constantly seem damp, as though you were holding back tears, and small gills appear on your neck.

You can breathe water as well as air.

Improved Manifestation: Your eyes run as though you were crying profusely. This does not impede your vision at all, or cause you any discomfort.Your fingers become webbed. This somehow does not cause any problems with wearing gloves or gauntlets.

You gain a swim speed of 30 feet.

Your melee attacks deal an additional 1d6 lightning damage. This increases to 2d6 at level 11.

Aura of Despair - Creatures within 5 feet of you have disadvantage on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks. This affects friendly creatures. This ability may be enabled or disabled as an action.

Whenever you deal a critical hit to a creature that is within your Aura of Despair, it becomes incapacitated for 1 round as it is overwhelmed with grief, and continues to have disadvantage on saving throws for 1 round even if removed from the aura.

Spells Known:
1: Thunder Wave
2: Blindness/Deafness
3: Call Lightning
4: Storm Sphere
5: Maelstrom

Soul Surge:

At level 11, you may cast Chain Lightning. The number of targets increases by 1 for every 2 binder levels above 11, to a maximum of 6 arcs at level 17.

Paimon – The Dancer – lvl 4

Lesser Powers:

Sword Burst - As the cantrip.

Manifestation: Your legs become several inches longer, causing you to appear as though you were walking on stilts.

You gain proficiency in Acrobatics and Perform.

Uncanny Dodge - As the rogue class feature.

Improved Manifestation: Your feet and shoes meld into points, and when you fight your weapons and arms seem to meld together, giving you the impression that your weapons are an extension of your arms. This gives you no penalties or bonuses to using your hands or feet for any tasks, as this minor shapechanging is optional, and only happens when fighting.

Dueling Style: As the fighter class feature.

You have +5 bonus to initiative rolls.

Dance of Death: As an action, you may expend a spell slot to enter the Dance of Death until the end of the round. Whenever you move into or out of melee range with a creature, you may make a single attack against that creature(without using any actions). You may only attack each creature once, up to a maximum of 4 attacks in this manner. Your weapon gains 1d6 necrotic damage per spell level expended, for the duration of the dance. While performing the dance, you suffer opportunity attacks as normal.

Spells Known:
1: Compelled Duel
2: Spectral Weapon
3: Haste
4: Phantasmal Killer
5: Dream

Soul Surge: At level 13, you may cast Mordenkainen’s Sword once per long rest.

Buer – Grandmother Huntress – lvl 4

Lesser:

Guidance - As the Cantrip

Manifestation: You seem far older than your age, though it is hard to point to any specifics

You are proficient with Nature and Medicine checks.

You have advantage on saves against poisons, and are immune to disease.

Your healing spells heal an additional amount equal to the spell level.

You gain wild shape, as a druid of half your binder level. You may only use this ability once per short rest.

Improved Manifestation:

Aura of Purity: Allies within 30 feet of you have advantage on saves against diseases and poisons.

Your wild shape improves to be equal to a druid of your level, and you may turn into a beast with a CR equal to ⅓ your level, rounded down. You may use this ability once per short rest.

You gain Combat Wild Shape, allowing you to wild shape as a bonus action, and use bonus actions to expend spell slots to heal 1d8 points per spell level.

Spells Known:

1: Cure Wounds
2: Lesser Restoration
3: Mass Healing Word
4: Dominate Beast
5:Greater Restoration

Spell Surge:
You may use the ability Preserve Life, as a cleric of your binder level. Once you use this ability, you must finish a long rest before using it again.

Karsus – Hubris in the Blood – lvl 5

Lesser:

Eldritch Blast - As the Cantrip

Heavy Magic: Whenever you cast a binder spell that forces a saving throw, you may expend an additional spell slot of equal or greater level to force one target to have disadvantage on their save.

You learn the spell Identify simply by having Karsus bound.

Manifestation: Your wounds bleed heavily, even if the harm is minor. This does not cause you to bleed out or suffer any ill effects.

You gain proficiency with Arcana

Your may add your charisma modifier to the damage done by your Eldritch Blast attacks.

Improved Manifestation: Your eyes disappear into hollowed out black sockets, and blood streams from them down your face.

Spelldrinking Touch: You can attempt to drain magic on a touch. Make a spell touch attack against a target. If you hit, you roll a caster level check against the lowest level enchantment affecting them. If no effects are active, they make an opposed caster level check against your roll. If you win, you expend one of their spell slots of the highest you can cast, and regain one spell slot. You may use this on allies who voluntarily give you some of their magic. If you do that, they select which spell to give up, so long as it is of equal or higher level to your slot level.

Arcane Blades: As a bonus action, you can charge your weapons with arcane energy for one round. You may expend a spell slot to cause your attacks to deal an extra 2d6 force damage until the end of the round. For each spell level above 2nd, the weapon deals an additional 1d6 force damage, to a maximum of 4d6.

When you are targetted by a spell, or hit by a spell targeting an area and succeed on your saving throw, you may use your reaction to attempt to Counterspell it. Make a caster level check(1d20 + prof + Cha) against a DC of 10 + the spell’s level. On a success, you block the spell from taking effect and absorb its energy, regaining a spell slot of that level. If it is higher level than you can cast, you gain 1 slot of highest available that you have expended.

Spells Known:

1:Detect Magic
2:See Invisibility
3:Dispel Magic
4:Arcane Eye
5:Scrying

Soul Surge: At 15th level, you may cast Anti-Magic Shell once per long rest.

Andras – The Gray Knight – lvl 5

Lesser:

You may use Green-Flame Blade, as the cantrip.

Manifestation: You sprout 2 clipped wings on your back. These are easily concealed under clothing or armor.

You have proficiency with handle animal.

Improved Critical – Your weapon attack score a critical hit on a 19-20.

You gain the Great Weapon Fighting fighting style.

Improved Manifestation: Your wings on your back are no longer clipped, but are stunted and useless. You seem listless, and display no emotion or inflection.

You gain Divine Smite, as the Paladin class feature.

You gain the feat Mounted Combatant.

Spells Known

1: Divine Favor
2: Find Steed
3: Aura of Vitality
4: Guardian of Faith
5: Destructive Wave

Soul Surge: You target a creature within 60 feet. On a failed will save, it must spend each of its turns moving towards its nearest ally and making a single attack against it. At the end of each of its turns, it may make another will save to end this effect. This lasts for concentration, up to 1 minute. After using this ability, you may not use it again until you finish a long rest.

Tenebrous – Shadow that Was – lvl 5

Lesser:

Chill Touch: As the cantrip

Manifestation:

True Darkvision: You can see through darkness, even of the magical variety, out to 60 feet.

Turn Undead: You may turn undead as a cleric equal to your binder level. Once you do this, you must finish a short rest before doing so again.

When you cast the Darkness spell, you may center it on yourself. If you do so, it follows you as you move.

Improved Manifestation:

You have resistance to necrotic damage and cold damage.

Your attacks inflict an extra 1d6 cold damage, which increases to 2d6 at level 11, and 3d6 at level 15.

You gain Shadow Step, as the Monk ability. If you have a Darkness spell centered on you when you use this ability, it steps following you, and its center point becomes your last location prior to using Shadow Step.

Spells Known:

1: Inflict Wounds
2: Darkness
3: Animate Dead
4: Dimension Door
5: Antilife Shell

Soul Surge:
Void Nova - Each creature within within 50 foot that is within total darkness must make a constitution save, or suffer 5d8 cold damage and 5d8 necrotic damage. This damage increases by 1d8 cold and 1d8 necrotic for every 2 binder levels above 10. After using this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

Ahem. As might be apparent, I have gone through some soul searching on how best to do this class, and jotten down a number of ideas.

My design goals are, obviously, to port the Binder from 3.5 But the nature how it gets ported is where I'm really focused.

I want to do the following:
Make a balanced class.
Make it not a pain for DMs.
Remove binding checks, but retain strong roleplay and flavor.
Use a unified resource system for each subclass.
Make both class AND subclass powers derived entirely from vestiges.

The reason for all these changes is that I've played binders in a number of 3.5 and pathfinder campaigns, and I've yet to have a DM who didn't hate them by the end of it. Their power curve is all over the place, and some of the stuff they can do just pisses them off. I have no idea why, but I've never DM'd one(Let me tell you about Paladins though...). But either way, many of the original design elements of the 3.5 class were full of problems. Of the original vestiges, you'd more than likely only bind a handful, and minmax your build to use that. Those who played a 3.5 binder shouldn't be surprised to hear combos like Amon Focalor for wannabe casters, or the Amon Chupoclops build with maybe Andras for maximum charge pounce. Or stuff like Geryon Paimon for "lol I get 12 attacks this turn but suck the rest of the time". Additionally, the 5 turn cooldown mechanic needs to go. But once per short rest is too long for some of the weaker abilities, which means I need soul points or spell slots which recover on a short rest.

So my ideal design here is to find a way that vestiges can be synergistic, but which still allows or at least encourages a binder to not minmax for a specific combo, and instead be a bit more fluid with their lineup. I also want to remove those "lol OP" combos which piss DMs off. Yes you get 12 attacks from that combo, which makes the DM furious, but how often are you going to get to do that? And what about the rest of the time when you're doing less damage than a 3.5 fighter? You see the problem? Anyways, it's a lofty goal, and from what I've seen there's already a fairly good port posted on these forums, but I wanna do something different.

So, with that out of the way, I've been looking over those 2, and I'm not sure how best to unify those resource systems. I'm thinking the extra attack on the melee specialization should go, and instead give them a "Soul Surge" ability at which which is basically a SCAG style melee cantrip, but unique to each vestige. I'm also thinking of instead of using 2 separate spell tables, just use one but do a direct conversion between soul points and spell level, not unlike a psion. This would mean I can either give melee access to 5th level spells at 9, and less Soul Points to work with, or I could opt to let the caster specialization have access to higher level spells, and let the melee spec sit around the 1-4 level range.

So yeah, quite the info dump. I'm looking for pointers on how to balance individual abilities better, or benchmark them. I'm also looking on suggestions for a unified resource system I can use to power up melee and caster specializations without it simply turning into an elemental monk.