PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Challenging My Players

Kesnit
2016-04-15, 04:42 PM
I am running a 3.5 adaptation of World's Largest Dungeon, with a few houserules. One of the houserules is that there is a sled in the entry room that allows non-living things (i.e. treasure, corpses) to go out, but not living (or undead) bodies. (Those get turned to mush.) This allows the party to sell stuff they find and buy stuff they want/need. (In my mind, a large city has grown up over the dungeon that caters to adventurers who go in.) All the PCs also have a slotless item that allows teleport from anywhere in the dungeon to the entry room and then back. (I got the idea from Town Scrolls in Diablo.) The entry room is safe, but resting cannot occur there.

Duskling Totemist 2/Unarmed Swordsage 6.
Halfling 6/Divine Oracle 2
Half-Orc Fighter 4/Barbarian 4

They may or may not have the 4th PC - a third-party Rogue-like class with some minor spellcasting. Mostly, he's a Rogue.

In the last session, the party fought a Rakshasa SORC 2 (casts as a LVL 9 SORC). They only escaped because they used their teleport items (and the Cleric was down to single digit HP when they got away). The SORC got all with a Black Tentacles in the first round, and the SS and Cleric never managed to get out. The Fighter did get out after 1 round. I also gave them a Minotaur Barbarian NPC (under their control) who is an actual NPC in that area of the dungeon. (It was for an IC reason.) The Minotaur didn't get caught in the Tentacles, but did fall to Charm Person in Round 2, so started attacking the Fighter.

After the escape, the Cleric did some Divinations and discovered the way to bypass the Rakshasa's DR (good and piercing). The party all bought +1 piercing weapons and the weapon crystal that makes weapons good-aligned. That's where the game ended.

I've already determined (though a roll in front of the players) that when they teleport back in, the Fighter will be next to the Rakshasa in the middle of the room, while the Cleric and SS will be about 15-20 feet away. I've ruled that they will have 1 standard action as a surprise round before the SORC can act. The room is small - I think 30 X 25, with a small side room.

This is supposed to be a really hard fight. I don't want to TPK the party, but I also don't want them to steamroll the Rakshasa. They have seen him cast Black Tentacles, Charm Person, and Lightening Bolt. Since the players don't know his entire spell list, I can give him pretty much any other spell I want.

Any recommendations on how I should go about this fight?

Gildedragon
2016-04-15, 04:47 PM
well the rakshasa is bound to know that they'll know what their weaknesses are so probably will take steps to protect themself from that.
Probably normally does; i bet rakshasas are very aware of their weaknesses.
Wings of cover might be a good one.
Mirror image and or silent image...

Some BFC?
Protection from arrows?

ComaVision
2016-04-15, 05:42 PM
Does he have any nearby monsters he could ally with? I wouldn't want to stay in the same area when a group has tried to kill me and can teleport.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-15, 05:57 PM
Maybe some form of magical darkness + darkvision, as a cheap debilitating tactic. Alternatively, fill the room with illusions (of darkness), and rely on some form of blindsight.

Godskook
2016-04-15, 09:54 PM
Honestly, this is the point where I say "let the chips fall where they may, this monster will not be prepped with meta-knowledge mid-fight".

Quertus
2016-04-16, 08:17 AM
Honestly, this is the point where I say "let the chips fall where they may, this monster will not be prepped with meta-knowledge mid-fight".

+1 this

However, it's worse than that.

The R is intelligent. It will have used its best attacks on the first encounter. And it will expect it's foes to have prepared to deal with the attacks that they saw.

So, it either launches into an inferior, secondary attack routine (bad), or it acts based on preparations the party didn't take.

It beat them with Evard's Black Tentacles and Charm. It would expect an intelligent party to prepare Freedom of Movement and Protection from Evil. Since it sees no new rings (Autohypnosis DC?), it should assume that they have preped with spells.

The correct tactic, then, is for it to bathe the party in dispel magic before attempting a repeat of last encounter.

EDIT: when you make a new friend, and they get into a fight with one of your old friends, do you usually attempt to murder your old friend? If not, then the charmed minotaur probably shouldn't have, either.

Also, since the R defeated the party, it earned xp, and you could have it level. If you don't want it to lose both the surprise round and the first round to poor good but wasted tactics, perhaps it picked up a custom, immediate action, 20" burst centered on itself dispel effect. And Dominate Person.

It's still going down hard, but it already beat the party once - how much more do you need?

Crake
2016-04-16, 09:07 AM
Want to note that unless you meant charm monster, the minotaur is not susceptible to charm person, which only affects Humanoids, not monstrous humanoids