PDA

View Full Version : Help building an even outsider hunter pc

Nosta
2016-04-15, 08:48 PM
so I want to build A exorcist type character who hunts devils and Demons and the likes. Basically I want him to be really good at hunting and slaying evil outsiders

so I must ask for a lv 18 build, what classes would be best suited for this including pc this will be a gestalt game so two classes are needed

I want plenty of counters to the evil outsiders powers and abilities.

any idea? I need this character for a few flash back missions of my groups main rp, were we delve in to the word of are rp when the story truly began

WeaselGuy
2016-04-15, 09:15 PM
Off the top of my head, for basic class progression, I would say maybe Ranger 5/Occult Slayer 5/Foe Hunter 10? 17 BAB (16 by level 18), pretty decent saving throws overall, bonus damage and defenses against your chosen foe, more against spell casters/SLA users (of which outsiders can fill both slots). I would also recommend the Arcane Hunter ACF for ranger, in lieu of their first favored enemy. More to follow, upon request.

Nosta
2016-04-15, 09:30 PM
Off the top of my head, for basic class progression, I would say maybe Ranger 5/Occult Slayer 5/Foe Hunter 10? 17 BAB (16 by level 18), pretty decent saving throws overall, bonus damage and defenses against your chosen foe, more against spell casters/SLA users (of which outsiders can fill both slots). I would also recommend the Arcane Hunter ACF for ranger, in lieu of their first favored enemy. More to follow, upon request.

I do like the sound of this.
what method of fighting and (choice of weapon to you recommend)

WeaselGuy
2016-04-15, 09:32 PM
I do like the sound of this.
what method of fighting and (choice of weapon to you recommend)

I would suggest ranged, actually. Buying a bunch of differently enchanted arrows would allow you to not be as pigeonholed as some other specialized cases. I'll work on some feat choices and post a table in a few minutes.

Level

Class

BAB

Fort

Ref

Will

Features

Feats

Ranger
1st Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders), Track, Wild Empathy
Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot

Ranger
Combat Style (Ranged)
Rapid Shot

Ranger
Endurance
Weapon Focus (Longbow)

Ranger
Animal Companion
-

Fighter
Bonus Feat
Precise Shot

Occult Slayer
Magical Defense +1, Weapon Bond
Manyshot

Occult Slayer
Vicious Strike, mind Over Magic 1/day
-

Occult Slayer
Auravision, Magical Defense +2
-

Occult Slayer
Mind Over Magic 2/day, Nondetection Cloak
Improved Rapid Shot

Occult Slayer
Blank Thoughts, Magical Defense +3
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy, Rancor +1d6
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 3/-
Improved Precise Shot

Foe Hunter
Rancor +2d6
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 5/-, Hated Enemy Spell Resistance
-

Foe Hunter
Rancor +3d6
Mage Slayer

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 7/-
-

Foe Hunter
Rancor +4d6
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 9/-
Pierce Magical Protection

Foe Hunter
Rancor +5d6
-

Foe Hunter
Death Attack, Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 11/-
-

For gear, you pretty much need to get a +1 Splitting Composite Longbow. I can't remember what bow it was from the MIC, but one of them had a scaling composite rating (Bow of Wintersomething, maybe?) If you can get that applied, great. If you need more gear recommendations, let me know, and I can provide.

WhamBamSam
2016-04-15, 10:16 PM
I had hoped that outsider hunter meant an outsider that was a hunter and we'd be talking about Mortal Hunter builds. Ah well...

With regard to the build above, Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Protection may not be the best choices on a ranged build. Mage Slayer might be worth it if you've got a wand of Arrow Mind or something, but Pierce Magical Protection requires a melee attack. Maybe go for Nemesis and Woodland Archer to deal with invisible/concealed enemies instead?

Nosta
2016-04-15, 10:19 PM
I would suggest ranged, actually. Buying a bunch of differently enchanted arrows would allow you to not be as pigeonholed as some other specialized cases. I'll work on some feat choices and post a table in a few minutes.

Level

Class

BAB

Fort

Ref

Will

Features

Feats

Ranger
1st Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders), Track, Wild Empathy
Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot

Ranger
Combat Style (Ranged)
Rapid Shot

Ranger
Endurance
Weapon Focus (Longbow)

Ranger
Animal Companion
-

Fighter
Bonus Feat
Precise Shot

Occult Slayer
Magical Defense +1, Weapon Bond
Manyshot

Occult Slayer
Vicious Strike, mind Over Magic 1/day
-

Occult Slayer
Auravision, Magical Defense +2
-

Occult Slayer
Mind Over Magic 2/day, Nondetection Cloak
Improved Rapid Shot

Occult Slayer
Blank Thoughts, Magical Defense +3
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy, Rancor +1d6
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 3/-
Improved Precise Shot

Foe Hunter
Rancor +2d6
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 5/-, Hated Enemy Spell Resistance
-

Foe Hunter
Rancor +3d6
Mage Slayer

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 7/-
-

Foe Hunter
Rancor +4d6
-

Foe Hunter
Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 9/-
Pierce Magical Protection

Foe Hunter
Rancor +5d6
-

Foe Hunter
Death Attack, Hated Enemy Damage Reduction 11/-
-

For gear, you pretty much need to get a +1 Splitting Composite Longbow. I can't remember what bow it was from the MIC, but one of them had a scaling composite rating (Bow of Wintersomething, maybe?) If you can get that applied, great. If you need more gear recommendations, let me know, and I can provide.

thank for all your help.
hey just curious how are you able to build such a nice rp table like that?

WeaselGuy
2016-04-15, 10:24 PM
I had hoped that outsider hunter meant an outsider that was a hunter and we'd be talking about Mortal Hunter builds. Ah well...

With regard to the build above, Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Protection may not be the best choices on a ranged build. Mage Slayer might be worth it if you've got a wand of Arrow Mind or something, but Pierce Magical Protection requires a melee attack. Maybe go for Nemesis and Woodland Archer to deal with invisible/concealed enemies instead?

Oh snap, good call Sam, my bad. Yeah, swap those out for Nemesis and Woodland Archer.

thank for all your help.
hey just curious how are you able to build such a nice rp table like that?

Years of char-op competitions on these boards. Check out some of the Iron Chef/Junkyard Wars/Villainous Competition/etc threads floating around.

Also, for what it's worth, Ranger and Fighter are from the PHB, Occult Slayer is from Complete Warrior, Foe Hunter is from Master of the Wild, Nemesis is from Book of Exalted Deeds, Woodland Archer is from Races of the Wild. The rest of the feats are from the PHB.