PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5e] Rannie, the Gish

evnaz
2016-04-15, 11:47 PM
Rannie is a rogue that I'm playing in a very low power side campaign,

Rannie is a half drow who's mother was beaten and killed for giving birth to a drow basically he turned to theivery to survive. My goal for rannie is for him to unlock his latent magical ability and use it to become the best assassin he can become.
I plan on making him use a spell called claws of darkness for flavor reasons and having those be his main weapon so still spell is almost a requirement everything other than that can be picked apart.

I'd like peoples opinion and tips my plan is rogue 2/ sorc 8 unseen seer 10
with spells like Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, hunter's eye, Wraithstrike, invisibility, true strike, Mage armor, haste, feather fall and protection from arrows.

planned feats are Improved initiative, Extend Spell, Arcane strike, Still Spell, Quicken spell, Persist spell and Rapid Metamagic obviously not in that order

Ortesk
2016-04-15, 11:57 PM
Rannie is a rogue that I'm playing in a very low power side campaign,

Rannie is a half drow who's mother was beaten and killed for giving birth to a drow basically he turned to theivery to survive. My goal for rannie is for him to unlock his latent magical ability and use it to become the best assassin he can become.
I plan on making him use a spell called claws of darkness for flavor reasons and having those be his main weapon so still spell is almost a requirement everything other than that can be picked apart.

I'd like peoples opinion and tips my plan is rogue3 maybe 4/ sorc 6 maybe 7/ unseen seer 10
with spells like Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, hunter's eye, Wraithstrike, invisabilty, true strike, mage armor, haste, feather fall and proection from arrows.

planned feats are Improved initiative, Extend Spell, Arcane strike, Still Spell, Quicken spell, Persist spell
With one feat left open I'm not sure what to pick either lol

I like the story background, and taking a low op build to reflect that. I would probably go rogue 3/Wizard 7/Unseen Seer 10.

A sorceror is more born with their power, so it would have shown much sooner. Drow heritage would reflect a wizard. Maybe swap the unseen seer for arcane trickster? I just feel it would mesh better. But with 9th level magic on the table, you are as good as you choose to be. If you hold yourself back, you could "just be" the greatest assassin any drow or human has ever seen.

For feats, I like fairie fire initiate. Intelligence to HP, and get to roleplay hooking up with a nymph? Uh, yes?

evnaz
2016-04-16, 12:03 AM
I like the story background, and taking a low op build to reflect that. I would probably go rogue 3/Wizard 7/Unseen Seer 10.

A sorceror is more born with their power, so it would have shown much sooner. Drow heritage would reflect a wizard. Maybe swap the unseen seer for arcane trickster? I just feel it would mesh better. But with 9th level magic on the table, you are as good as you choose to be. If you hold yourself back, you could "just be" the greatest assassin any drow or human has ever seen.

For feats, I like fairie fire initiate. Intelligence to HP, and get to roleplay hooking up with a nymph? Uh, yes?

I have some kinda sauce for why Rannie's magic wouldn't have surfaced right away,
Rannie being the little ball of edge he is has had a really hard time growing up, He's always wanted to be like all the other kids of water deep, sometimes he would feel or see things others wouldn't but out of fear of being shunned further he refused to explore or try to understand the "Drow" side of himself which after adventuring with the party and becoming more comfortable with being who he is, unlocks the ability to use his unique gifts

Ortesk
2016-04-16, 12:19 AM
I have some kinda sauce for why Rannie's magic wouldn't have surfaced right away,
Rannie being the little ball of edge he is has had a really hard time growing up, He's always wanted to be like all the other kids of water deep, sometimes he would feel or see things others wouldn't but out of fear of being shunned further he refused to explore or try to understand the "Drow" side of himself which after adventuring with the party and becoming more comfortable with being who he is, unlocks the ability to use his unique gifts

Then consider rogue 2/Sorceror 8/Unseen Seer 10. You want full on casting, mainly because it is about the only way to actually be a viable threat to a mage at that level. Look at most NPC's with an interesting back story, they take a level or two to reflect the beginning training, then focus on the main schtick.

For spells, I like Mage Armor Greater, Shield, Haste, Invisibility Greater, Mirror Image, Dimension door (sometimes you need to get out when the getting is good) true seeing, Scintillating Scales, Wraith Strike, Mind Blank, Fly, Ect.

Basically, get your defenses for both combat and not being tracked down. Then get the utility spells to find your enemies, then get the offensive spells to contain them until a summoned ally can beat them into submission. Remember, only silly fighters actually hit things at that level. Use dominate on some drow women to really spite your heritage for being jerk faces

mabriss lethe
2016-04-16, 12:39 AM
Deepwyrm half-drow would open up draconic feats, and a few of the various Draconic auras would be a decent nugget of passive magic for you and the party in a lower op setting.