PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Thrym's secret agenda?

Hooded Kappa
2016-04-16, 06:42 AM
I unfortunately cannot post images, so you have to bear with me...

Hey, remember this hunched giant guy from the godsmoot? It's the priest of the demigod Thrym, lord of ice giants.

OOTS 1012

The instant he showed up, I thought there was somehting fishy about him... not only his strange appearance, but what he says...

"My reasons are my own"? The fate of existance hangs in the balance and this is all you have to say? Given, from the point of view of a demigod, it might be less dramatic, but still... all other god's give at least some sort of reason (no matter how nonsensical) as to why they vote yes or no. Except Thrym. Huh.

Now look at the stranger from the most recent panels. He sports the same horns as Thrym's priest.

OOTS 1032 and 1033

I think they are both servants of Thrym... pretty safe bet that ice giants reside in the far north, probably not far away from where Kraagor's gate lies.

Just what are they up to, exactly? We know that Thrym wants this world to end, and he apparantly doesn't want people to snoop around Durkon's gate. I just haven't figured out how this is related to the godsmoot.

The paladin pretty much confirms that there is another player involved in the game.

What do you think?

Kish
2016-04-16, 07:52 AM
I think Thrym doesn't want to say "I have an arrangement with Hel."

The paladin pretty much confirms that there is another player involved in the game.

Who's "the paladin"?

Mad Humanist
2016-04-16, 07:53 AM
I would say the answer lies in the negotiations between Hel and Thrym.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-16, 08:06 AM
I, for one, think it's surprising that more of the gods didn't keep their reasons private.

I'm inclined to think Kish is right here.

Mad Humanist
2016-04-16, 08:09 AM
I, for one, think it's surprising that more of the gods didn't keep their reasons private.

I'm inclined to think Kish is right here.

They didn't keep their reasons secret because that would have been lame storytelling. Seriously in a story where characters like Elan, Nale and Tarquin care about how the reader sees it, why shouldn't the gods?

LordRahl6
2016-04-16, 09:54 AM
Needless to say, if the Paladins are being attacked by Thyrm's servants (clerical or otherwise) it'll be interesting, and put a whole new light on the demigod's actions. We'll have to wait out another 3 or 4 to see if we're right.:smallwink:

ti'esar
2016-04-16, 01:35 PM
This is an intriguing thought. Overall I think Kish is more likely to be right, but I hadn't drawn a potential connection before between Thrym's refusal to explain his motives and the Sonic Reptilian Unicorn Rider's possible membership in his church.

Sir_Norbert
2016-04-16, 07:21 PM
As someone pointed out at the time, it was in character for the mythological Thrymr to keep his own counsel.

GreatWyrmGold
2016-04-16, 09:09 PM
They didn't keep their reasons secret because that would have been lame storytelling. Seriously in a story where characters like Elan, Nale and Tarquin care about how the reader sees it, why shouldn't the gods?
Most of the gods aren't bards, AD&D-style bards, or bardic wannabes.

Morquard
2016-04-17, 05:55 AM
You could also say most of them maybe hoped "Maybe my reason will sway one or two that are still on the fence into my way of thinking", while others simply were thinking "Who cares if they know?"

Grey Watcher
2016-04-17, 08:45 AM
Interesting idea. I had figured Thrym's reasoning was something much pettier like "Surtur already said what I was gonna say, so I'll just play it al mysterious."

Kantaki
2016-04-17, 09:29 AM
Obviously Thrym doesn't want to admit that he only said yes because saying no is so negative and that would ruin his good mood.:smallbiggrin:
He keeps it a secret because the other gods would make fun of him if they knew and that would ruin his good mood as well.

Rift_Wolf
2016-04-17, 10:23 AM
Interesting idea. I had figured Thrym's reasoning was something much pettier like "Surtur already said what I was gonna say, so I'll just play it al mysterious."

Are you suggesting Surtr ninjaed Thrym?

Vinyadan
2016-04-20, 04:24 AM
Thrym's train of thought:

A Paladin-off is being held in my turf → the world must be destroyed.

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-20, 10:18 AM
Thrym's train of thought:

A Paladin-off is being held in my turf → the world must be destroyed.
Seems reasonable to me.