PDA

View Full Version : Nale's Class

Pyro
2007-06-22, 05:26 PM
Now in comic #50 Nale says that he's a fight/rogue/sorcerer. I've seen him fight, cast magic, but not use his rogue skills. Now am I just missing something here or is that part of his class useless thus far.

Anyway I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but does anyone find it funny that a fighter/rogue/sorcerer is basically a bard without the perks.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-22, 05:28 PM
Its possible that Nale thought that after 1 level of rogue, he thought it wasnt for him, so he multiclassed to sorcerer

NALE IS NOT A BARD!!! :smallmad:

basilisk 89
2007-06-22, 05:33 PM
Its possible that Nale thought that after 1 level of rogue, he thought it wasnt for him, so he multiclassed to sorcerer

NALE IS NOT A BARD!!! :smallmad:

:nale: Kill, kill, kill, kill my idiotic brother!

:nale: Betray, betray, betray, betray the naive Rogue girl! (Haley)

:nale: Trick, trick, trick, trick the Cliffport law enforcement!

I could see him as a bard...

Hephaestus
2007-06-22, 05:35 PM
He can't be a bard, too lawful. But he's acting strangely bardic as of late.

Comic 394 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0394.html) he says, "villain exits stage right." Talking about plays and acting? Bardic?

Comic 458 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) he refuses to stay because he won't get the spotlight time he deserve.

He isn't a bard, perhaps some Lawful Evil Stage/Performance prestige class? He thinks to much along the lines of a bard to just be a Fighter6/Sorceror5/Rogue1 IMO...

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-22, 05:36 PM
Remember when Nale stabbed the chief in the back of the head? That was a Sneak Attack. He just didn't actually yell "Sneak Attack!".

He even mentions the fact that he was supposed to.

I'd say his 'bard-like' habits are simply inherited from his mother.

Why can't narrative sense be genetic?

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-22, 05:36 PM
He Sneak Attacked the Cliffport Police Chief, remember?
EDIT: Ninja'd!

Gundato
2007-06-22, 05:45 PM
Uhm. I thought the entire point of the character is that he IS a Bard in everything but name and alignment. It is also a shot at most players who badmouth the Bard, but end up making a more convoluted (and weaker) version through multi-classing.

Wrecan
2007-06-22, 06:13 PM
When he stabbed Elan in the back, he reduced him to negative hit points.
He kills the Chief in one surprise attack.

If that isn't evidence of "Sneak Attack", nothing is. (And throw in some Power Attack with those fighter levels)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-22, 07:46 PM
All of the above, plus Nale is addicted to doing things the most complicated way possible.

The easy way would be to assassinate every member of the OotS one at a time, using their weaknesses against each of them.

Kill Belkar while he is enjoying an evening with the whores...

Snipe V while s/he is in the library...

Have Sabine shapeshift into a priest of Thor, then sneak attack Durkon when he turns to leave...

Use poisoned ink at the tattoo parlor, probably get Elan and Haley at the same time...

And if they kill Durkon before he is able to rez Roy, Roy will stay dead...

Nah, all too simple. Nale wants rocket skates, anvils, Acme Explosives, Acme Catapults, Celestia knows what else. Still, I always loved the Road Runner cartoons... Such mindless violence.

NerfTW
2007-06-22, 08:51 PM
I cannot believe there are people that didn't get that joke. They might as well have sat there and explained it to the reader, it was so obvious.

Nale does things in an overly complicated way. His class is an overly complicated way to be a bard. The only people who should be having that joke go over thier heads are dwarves and hobbits.

Faramir
2007-06-22, 08:58 PM
Nerftw is correct, but there is another element. Back in AD&D the way you became a bard was to start as a fighter, then change class to thief, then change class to bard. As a bard you gain druid spells and Charm Person/Monster abilties (much as Nale does with his Enchantment specialty as a sorcerer).

And if this strikes you as overly complicated... :)

So the main joke is that Nale is effectively an AD&D bard.

DraxtonSmitz
2007-06-22, 09:05 PM
He could have just taken two levels of rogue just to get evasion. But really it is just a joke because a fighter/sorc/rogue is really just a bard. Elan calls it "overly complicated" because he could have just been a bard and gotten very similar, if the the same skills.

Frosty
2007-06-22, 09:17 PM
I still say a Beguiler is more Nale's style. Beguiler > Bard.

Gandal
2007-06-22, 10:37 PM
Now in comic #50 Nale says that he's a fight/rouge/sorcerer. I've seen him fight, cast magic, but not use his rouge skills. Now am I just missing something here or is that part of his class useless thus far.

Anyway I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but does anyone find it funny that a fighter/rouge/sorcerer is basically a bard without the perks.

:smallannoyed: ROGUE.

Pyro
2007-06-22, 10:48 PM
^ Fine fixed. Well at least I didn't misspell Xykon.

TheGrimace
2007-06-23, 11:17 AM
How is Fighter Sorceror Rogue weaker than bard?

Bard (roughly same hd, and bab) +a good fortitude save +bonus feats+evocation spells +sneak attack +evasion - bardic music - bardic knowledge - 4th level spells (lets say).

I think fighter Sorceror Rogue is head and shoulders above bard in combat, and rougly the same in social settings.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-23, 11:18 AM
Multiclassing XP penalties, mostly. When you spread yourself that thin, you're going to take penalties if you focus on any one facet of your build.

Plus, sorcerer and bard spellcasting aren't really very alike. Their spell lists are very dissimilar.

There's also the lack of skill points. Fighters and sorcerers get ahrdly any at all, whereas bards get almost as many as rogues. Nale probably has less skill points than Elan, even though Nale has an Intelligence bonus and Elan... probably doesn't.

factotum
2007-06-23, 01:03 PM
Question: a Bard gets a feat (or it's a class ability, not sure which) that allows them to wear medium armour without an arcane spell failure penalty. Does a Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer get the same?

Spiryt
2007-06-23, 01:21 PM
Question: a Bard gets a feat (or it's a class ability, not sure which) that allows them to wear medium armour without an arcane spell failure penalty. Does a Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer get the same?

Ughhhh... Bards even CANT wear medium armor. You probably meant light armor.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-23, 01:22 PM
And in answer to your question, no. Sorcerers can't ever wear armour without incurring arcane spell failure chance.

Which is another point to the bard.

TheNovak
2007-06-23, 02:24 PM
Ughhhh... Bards even CANT wear medium armor. You probably meant light armor.

Bards can wear any kind of armor they want. They might not be proficient with it, but...

And aside from the Bard's class feature that lets 'em cast in light armor, there are feats in supplemental books that reduce the chance of arcane spell failure. Whether they stack with the Bard thing might be up to a particular DM.

...Where we we going with this?

doliemaster
2007-06-23, 02:45 PM
I wish that Elan could meet his dad and nale meet his mom. That would be SO COOL!

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-23, 02:58 PM
Actually, a bard can pick two feats that allow him to cast in medium armor without the arcane spell failure penalty: Medium Armor Proficiency and Battle Caster. (That might only be in Neverwinter Nights 2 though...)

Totally Guy
2007-06-23, 03:07 PM
Nale's class is definitely Upper class. He speaks well, his ambitions are becoming more overlordy and being the son of a warlord probably sets him up the class ladder by a couple of rungs.:smalltongue:

Gundato
2007-06-23, 03:42 PM
Fairly certain that Battle Caster was NWN2-specific. But I have seen similar feats in a lot of supplemental material (which really helped my Bard use his diplomatic abilities to be fired by our Barbarian catapult :p).

I have such fond memories of pissing off that Barbarian to the point of being tossed through roofs. Was a nice strategic tool :p

Tirian
2007-06-23, 04:20 PM
I wish that Elan could meet his dad and nale meet his mom. That would be SO COOL!

Smart money says that at least one of those is going to happen before OOTS reaches the next gate....

Gavin Sage
2007-06-23, 09:00 PM
Multiclassing these days is just an qualify for a Prestige Class or do a couple level dip with a fighting class. Nale triple classing is deblitating his rogue and sorceror abilities.

Hence Julio Scoundrel's comment about unfavorable multiclassing. It occurs to me Nale must be fairly high in level.

factotum
2007-06-24, 12:58 AM
Since he's the evil opposite of Elan he's probably about the same character level (13, I think is the current guess). We don't know how he's split up his classes, though--we know Thog thought that a 3rd level in Fighter was a stupid level to take, but whether he came up with that idea on his own or learned it from Nale is anyone's guess. He must have at least 6 levels of Sorcerer, though, because he cast Suggestion (a 3rd level spell) on Elan during the "rescue Haley" sequence.

BloodyAngel
2007-06-24, 01:52 AM
Level means less than whatever is funny at the time... and thus it will remain so. Personally, I'm a big fan of Nale. My guess is that he's a fighter lv. 2 Sorcerer Lv. 6, Rogue Lv. 5. And I am basing this on... absolutely nothing. Discuss.

Dhavaer
2007-06-24, 01:59 AM
Fairly certain that Battle Caster was NWN2-specific. But I have seen similar feats in a lot of supplemental material (which really helped my Bard use his diplomatic abilities to be fired by our Barbarian catapult :p).

I have such fond memories of pissing off that Barbarian to the point of being tossed through roofs. Was a nice strategic tool :p

Battle Caster is in Complete Arcane, IIRC.

Level means less than whatever is funny at the time... and thus it will remain so. Personally, I'm a big fan of Nale. My guess is that he's a fighter lv. 2 Sorcerer Lv. 6, Rogue Lv. 5. And I am basing this on... absolutely nothing. Discuss.

Actually, that sounds about right. Two levels of Fighter for the Bonus feats, Rogue level 5 for the Sneak attack and 6 levels of Sorcerer for the 3rd level Suggestion... but now he's stuck, he'll have to Waste a level, Sorcered level 7, Fighter level 3 and Rogue level 6 give absolutely nothing.

Aethir
2007-06-24, 11:08 AM
Or take an obscure prestige class that didn't exist before, but augments him in a way similarly to dashing swordsman levels, just no puns.

Jefepato
2007-06-24, 11:22 AM
Sorcered level 7, Fighter level 3 and Rogue level 6 give absolutely nothing.

The rogue level is still worth good skill points -- which could be especially effective since, given the rampant multiclassing, Nale probably doesn't have all his important skills maxed out.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-06-24, 11:30 AM
*We see Nale take 3 overcomplicated prestiege classes that equal Dashing Swordsman* Imagine that, he takes Duelist (Dashing-Swordsmanesque abilities), Sarcastic Warrior (Imitate's Elan's quips, made-up PC), and Weapon Speciallist (Similar to natural DS Rapier abilities, another made-up PC).