PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept

ReluctantDragon
2007-06-22, 05:53 PM
Building a Dragonfire adept at Level 20. Taking all 20 levels, will be a Spelltouched from RoDragon.

Looking for some build advice. Figured I'd go with feats to improve breath weapon and/or invocations.

Is there a way to increase the # of invocations I can get?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-22, 05:58 PM
Infernal Adept feat

You have learned exotic invocations previously beyond your grasp.

Prerequisites: Ability to use greater invocations as a dragonfire adept or a warlock, special

Benefits: You learn one invocation from another class's list, choosing an invocation no more than two grades lower than the highest grade of invocation you know. For instance, an 11th-level warlock could learn a least invocation from the dragonfire adept list, while a 16th level dragonfire adept could learn a least or lesser invocation from the warlock list.

Special: This feat can be selected multiple times. It can be selected by a dragonblooded warlock with no additional requirements. The same is true for an outsider or fey dragonfire adept. If a character is not of those races, she must perform a special quest to learn the invocation. The specifics are left up to the DM, but the quest should involve some service to a force capable of granting the desired invocation and should take considerable time.

Feat from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613).

Also, try some metabreath feats from Draconomicon.

DraPrime
2007-06-22, 06:37 PM
Definately take the Metabreath feats from Draconimicon. I had a character with a breath weapon. I pretty much destroyed everything thanks to my Metabreath feats.

Nebo_
2007-06-22, 06:57 PM
You can't take those metabreath feats unless you have a breath weapon that has a delay between uses.

Get slow breath as soon as possible, it slows even on a passed save!

Fax Celestis
2007-06-22, 06:59 PM
It does have a delay! 1 round!

magicwalker
2007-06-22, 07:02 PM
Splitting hairs there.. is there a currently accepted ruling in place?

Damionte
2007-06-22, 07:45 PM
No there isn't actuallty. One of those forever debated topics until they print an errata.

Put it before your GM and decide the way you want to run it. In the mean time you should let us know which you plan on using as it makes a difference for the builds we suggest.

As far as which way to rule them, I say yes go ahead and allow it. I'm playing one now and to be honest I have to judge each time rather or not to even use the breath effects. In the early levels I used them a bit mroe often as my damage wasn't that hot anyway. It's just that they all impose a bigger recharge in your breath weapon. So now that we're in the later levels, (that character is now 13th lvl, I rarely use the metabreath feats other than the lengthening one. At later levels it's often more usfule to blast the enemy.

I really liek the class though. it does have a one trick pony feel to it. There's little flexibility to the clss. An undead pops up, YOU BLAST IT! Mugger in an alley, YOU BLAST IT! Cat stuck in a tree YOU BLAST IT!

The metbreath feats at least let you do a bit of somethign else on occasion. Like putting the Kitty in the tree t6o sleep.... and then BLAST IT !

Yes it's a one trick pony class but it has a good trick. In all honesty if it were my primary character (Rather than a follower which the GM let's me play as a second character) I'd be bored to death with him.

Gralamin
2007-06-22, 07:51 PM
Personally, I don't find Dragonfire Adepts all that powerful, and don't see much of a problem with giving it to them. (I Also believe that being able to use it once/round means that it has a delay)

ReluctantDragon
2007-06-22, 08:01 PM
Yes, I can use metabreath feats. Was planning on using them. Thinking of switching from spellscale to human in order to utilize the extra feat? Should I take the hit to Cha for the feat or vice versa?

Also thanks a bunch so far for the suggestions.

*EDIT*

Anymore tips?