PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5e] Gnoll Huntmaster Build Help

Zhul
2016-04-16, 06:55 PM
I could use a hand building a 3.5e character. My experience with the system is limited, primarily playing D&D back in the day before there even were Editions, but also playing 4e (where you were pretty locked into a single class). A friend of mine is starting a campaign and my last 3.5e experience went pretty sour multiclassing into a class I wasn't really built for (but that is a long, uninteresting story about a different DM). The current DM is a great guy and willing to work with the players to make their character idea work. He has already suggested a customized race (I can't link it, but it's the first hit on a google search).

Here is the character concept:

The character will be a spotted gnoll that has been evicted from the tribe and forced to live in the wilderness on his own until meeting up with the party. I want him to be a master of the wilds and a cunning pack hunter. In combat he will often try to flank an enemy and rush in with a surprise attack when they are involved with the rest of his "new pack."

His primary weapon would be a one-handed spear with an offhanded shield (possibly to shield bash). A two-handed spear would be possible if the build is cool. His secondary weapon could be shortbow or throwing axes.

The DM is still polling the players, so I'm not sure what the starting level will be - though it will probably be around 6th.

All I currently own is the PHB, so I was looking at some combination of Ranger/Fighter/Rogue. I'm looking for stat, class, skill, and feat advice to make this character work. I'm not looking to be a ridiculously OP combat god, but I want to be sure I don't suck either.

(Side Note: There will also be a druid in the party, so I'd like to stay away from any druid levels.)

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Thurbane
2016-04-16, 07:07 PM
You might want to look at a Swift Hunter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0) build: Scout/Ranger, with a feat that lets some of their abilities stack.

Zhul
2016-04-17, 07:49 AM
Thanks Thurbane, that is an interesting read.

So skirmish is essentially the same as a rogue's sneak attack except you have to move 10' to use it, and it sounds like it can be difficult for a melee character to get that.

Am I interpreting it correctly that the Swift Hunter feat means that when I'm looking at how much additional damage it does, if I'm Ranger 5 and Scout 5 I treat it as if I am a 10th level Scout for the skirmish damage and I treat it as if I am a 10th level Ranger for determining my Favored Enemy bonuses?

Thurbane
2016-04-17, 10:49 PM
Thanks Thurbane, that is an interesting read.

So skirmish is essentially the same as a rogue's sneak attack except you have to move 10' to use it, and it sounds like it can be difficult for a melee character to get that.

Am I interpreting it correctly that the Swift Hunter feat means that when I'm looking at how much additional damage it does, if I'm Ranger 5 and Scout 5 I treat it as if I am a 10th level Scout for the skirmish damage and I treat it as if I am a 10th level Ranger for determining my Favored Enemy bonuses?

That's my understanding.

If you want to take the Mobility line of feats (Shot on the Run, Spring Attack) look at Expeditious Dodge as a req feat instead of regular dodge.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-17, 10:57 PM
I think i found the Race. (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Gnoll,_Spotted_%283.5e_Race%29) Thankfully its not on the horrible wiki and actually seems reasonably thought out.

Also if you are gonna go Swift Hunter as a melee you will need 1 level of Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian for Pounce. Otherwise its gonna be rough.

Willie the Duck
2016-04-18, 11:04 AM
need[/B] 1 level of Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian for Pounce. Otherwise its gonna be rough.

IT's hard to argue against Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian unless you've got something else that does the equivalent. Does it work with Spring attack (can you charge and spring attack)? Perhaps he doesn't need that three feat investment.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-18, 11:07 AM
IT's hard to argue against Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian unless you've got something else that does the equivalent. Does it work with Spring attack (can you charge and spring attack)? Perhaps he doesn't need that three feat investment.

No it does not, and Spring Attack is rarely worth it.

Zhul
2016-04-18, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone! You've given me a lot to consider.

I'll check with the DM to see if Pounce is valid (especially since nearly every comment I've read about it so far has said it is overpowered). He's a nice guy, but he doesn't want to break the game (and neither do I). :)

Tiri
2016-04-18, 10:36 PM
Pounce is far from overpowered. All it does it give you more attacks, which is something most melee classes need anyway.

Willie the Duck
2016-04-19, 09:57 AM
Pounce is far from overpowered. All it does it give you more attacks, which is something most melee classes need anyway.

It depends on what you mean by overpowered. Pounce is far and away better than most other benefits you can give a melee type character. A lot of people have argued that it is how they should have designed the attack mechanic in the first place (you get all your attacks regardless of whether you move). Especially since spellcasting is almost exclusively a standard action (meaning that a warrior has to work really hard to get the main benefits of their class, while the spellcaster does so almost automatically).

Zhul
2016-04-19, 06:09 PM
I think the heartburn I had been reading about was getting such a big bonus with just a single level dip.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-19, 07:36 PM
I think the heartburn I had been reading about was getting such a big bonus with just a single level dip.

I wont disagree here, but do remember that, unless TWF or something similar, you only have one attack anyway, so it doesnt do a whole lot until level 6.

KillingAScarab
2016-04-20, 02:19 AM
As someone who is currently playing an exiled gnoll in a play-by-post game, I think barbarian is a suitable class to take, but lion totem is an interesting choice given that gnolls are hyena-inspired. Perhaps taking lion as a totem is something with roleplaying consequences?