PDA

View Full Version : Let's... Let's Play: Shadowrun! (Genesis)

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-16, 07:57 PM
My updates to this thread are going to be daily (or so. I might forget once or twice.)

This post is pretty much just detailing most of the mechanics of the game. If you don't care about that you can skip it.

THE PLAYER CHARACTER
You can play one of three archetypes, but for the most part this only affects what you start with. You can start as a samurai or even a shaman, get a Datajack, specialize in Computers, and spend all your time in the matrix if you want. The only major thing of note that your starting choice affects is whether you can ever use magic or not- shamans can learn magic, samurai and deckers can't.

http://s22.postimg.org/j21tju51t/1_1.png
Samurai
The warrior archetype. Samurai start with Hand Razors (cyberware), a crappy pistol, a medkit, and some useless grenades. Though to be fair, all grenades in this game are useless for combat.

http://s22.postimg.org/nle25cmxd/1_2.png
Samurai starting stats.

http://s22.postimg.org/niu6iij9t/1_3.png
Decker
The thief archetype. Starts with a Datajack (cyberware), a lame pistol, and two medkits. Deckers are able to "jack in" to the Matrix (basically the not!internet) and create a digital avatar in cyberspace, with which they can then mess around with computer systems, doing things like disabling security, cancelling alerts, planting false information, and stealing data to sell. To be honest I don't like messing around with the Matrix much.

http://s22.postimg.org/txt7f6pzl/1_4.png
Decker starting stats.

http://s22.postimg.org/9vjiwjztd/1_5.png
Shaman
The mage archetype. Note that unlike most other RPGs, Shadowrun makes no distinction between "white" and "black" magic, or however you want to refer to them. Any magic user can learn any spell (provided of course you have the cash,) and spells have levels that affect how powerful they are, and, in the case of things like buffs, how long they last. Furthermore, there are no magic points in Shadowrun. If you have the stats for it and doing so doesn't cause any drain, you can literally cast spells all day. Shamans start with Mana Zap level 3, Rockskin level 3, and Heal Wounds level 1.

http://s22.postimg.org/44tcitrtd/1_6.png
Shaman starting stats.

ATTRIBUTES, SKILL, AND KARMA
- ATTRIBUTES
Body - Basically your innate physical defense before armor is factored. Max it for everybody.

Quickness - How fast you walk (only in combat though) and how fast you attack. Max it for everybody.

Strength - Affects damage done with melee attacks and grenades, but as I mentioned above, grenades are useless. If you've got someone specializing in tearing the bad guys up with Spurs then max it for them, but if you're sticking with guns or magic you can ignore it.

Charisma - Affects fast-talk success, hiring prices for runners, run payment, and how much stuff costs at most stores. Really only matters for Joshua, so max it on him and leave it alone for everyone else.

Intelligence - Accuracy and attack speed, and affects about everything you do in the Matrix. Max it for everybody.

Willpower - Also affects accuracy, and defense against mana-type damage, as well as 'drain' when casting a spell (higher = less drain.) 'Drain' is Mental damage caused by trying to cast a spell beyond your abilities. You'll eventually want to max this for everybody, but mages should max it first. Everybody else can pretty safely ignore it until everything else important is maxed.

Essence - Basically your "soul" or "humanity." This starts at 6.0 for everybody and can never be raised, only lowered, and it's lowered by installing cyberware. Aside from that, your Essence also affects how well magical healing and buffs work on you- the lower your Essence, the less is healed (if anything) and the shorter buffs last. This can get it down to 0.1, but not lower. See the Cyberware section for more details.

Magic - Magic is equal to your truncated Essence, and affects how much power you can put into your spells. So if you have cyberware that drops your Essence to 3.8, then your Magic will be 3, and you'll only be able to cast spells at up to power level 3, even if you know a higher level. So in other words, go easy on the cyberware for your magic users (if you get them any at all.) Some guides advise that you NEVER EVER get cyberware for your mages, but personally I don't use spells past level 4, so I think getting a couple things for your mages isn't going to be the end of the world.

- SKILLS
Sorcery - How good you are at casting and resisting spells. Invest in this for your magic users; samurai and deckers can't learn this skill at all.

Firearms - How good you are at shooting the bad guys. Note that there are three specializations in this field. If you have, say, Pistols at 4, and Firearms at 1, then you'll attack with a skill rank of 4 whenever you're wielding a pistol, but if you switch to a shotgun or SMG then you'll be a lot less effective. The advantage of specializing is that it costs less karma. If you're going to specialize I suggest you do it in pistols, as they're the most versatile and therefore the most useful in my opinion. Shotguns are extremely powerful but don't hold much ammo, and can't be silenced (firing an unsilenced gun inside a corp building will instantly set off an alarm,) and SMGs aren't necessarily bad, but they automatically fire in bursts of 3 and almost never seem to hit all three times, so they essentially have only about one to two thirds the ammunition capacity they say they do. SMGs also tend to be lacking in power.

Melee Combat - How good you are at punching people to death. Having a few ranks in this is a good idea for samurai and deckers, just as a backup in case you run out of ammo at a bad time, but magic users can ignore it.

Throwing - How good you are with grenades. Who cares. Ignore it.

Computer - How effective you are at doing stuff in the Matrix. Pump it it for your decker, and for everybody else it's useless.

Biotech - Determines success when using a Medkit (see the Equipment section.) You'll want to have one character specialize in this, but you don't really need more than one to do so.

Electronics - Basically lockpicking, also effects how good you are at operating computer terminals (which is different from actually jacking into the Matrix.) I personally don't think it's worth investing in because you can buy a Maglock passkey (skeleton key) that automatically opens all the doors you'll need to get past, and while messing around with terminals can be handy it's never actually necessary.

Reputation - Notoriety. You'll need to get this up to at least level 4 for Joshua in order to complete the game, but on anybody else it has no effect. Affects run payment and hiring prices for runners. Additionally, as far as I can tell, once Joshua gets it to 6 or higher (or complete certain plot events) you'll occasionally get attacked by Renraku strike teams, who are some of the strongest enemies in the game.

Negotiation - Affects run payment, hiring prices, and how much most stuff costs. Nice to have, since it can save you A LOT of nuyen over the course of the game, but not essential.

Karma is how the game handles advancement, and is gained in three ways: Advancing the plot, killing stuff, and completing runs. Advancing the plot gives you the most at once, but obviously you can only do that so much, and the further you advance in the plot the more difficult it becomes, so it's not really a reliable way of earning more, it's just a nice bonus when you do. Every two dozen or so enemies you kill will also net you one Karma- this is just going to amount to a minor bonus every now and then. Your main form of earning karma is going to be via doing shadowruns. What type of run you do, as well as who you're doing them for, affects how much karma you earn.

The karma cost for raising an attribute is what the new score of that attribute would be (i.e. raising Body from 4 to 5 costs 5 karma, etc.) For skills, the cost is double the new score (raising Biotech from 5 to 6 costs 12 karma, etc.)

CYBERWARE
Cyberware is basically cybernetic hardware (and software) grafted onto and into your body. Obviously, this means it can't be stolen or confiscated by Lone Star, but it IS pretty expensive. The numbers in parentheses are the Essence cost.

- Cybereyes (0.2) - Basically makes you more accurate, especially against invisible enemies (of which there aren't many.) Cheapest at Council Island Hospital.
- Datajack (0.2) - Allows you to enter the Matrix. The Decker archetype starts with it, and all the deckers you can hire have one already, so there's never any need to buy one. Not that it matters, but this is cheapest at Little Chiba in Redmond Barrens.
- Dermal Plating (0.5/level, max 3) - Raises your Body stat by 1 per level. Good buy for everybody. Cheapest at Seattle General, in Downtown Seattle.
- Hand Razors (0.1) - Not really worth it, since Spurs are better and not much more expensive. Cheapest at Dr. Bob's Quickstitch Clininc in Puyallup Barrens.
- Muscle Replacement (1.0/level, max 4) - Raises your Strength and Quickness by 1 each per level. Pretty nice, but I prefer other stuff. Cheapest at Seattle General.
- Smartlink (0.5) - Allows you to use a Smartgun system. I understand this is better than a pair of Smart Goggles (which do the same thing,) but I don't know by how much. Anyway, it's a good buy for anyone regularly using pistols or SMGs. Cheapest at Wire-Masters, Renraku Arcology.
- Spurs (0.2) - Wanna tear stuff up? Spurs got your back. Better than Hand Razors. NOTE- If you already have Hand Razors and then buy these, the Hand Razors will get overridden, meaning it only costs 0.1 Essence to upgrade, but the final cost is still 0.2 either way. Cheapest at Dr. Bob's in Puyallup.
- Wired Reflexes (2.0/1.0/2.0, max 3) - Makes you attack faster - MUCH faster than a few levels of Quickness or Muscle Replacement. And yes, the essence cost for this is weird. The first and third levels cost 2.0 essence each, but the second only costs 1.0. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining. NOTE: DO NOT get a third level of this if you're getting it for a character who's going to ever be using melee attacks! This will trigger a bug that causes the character to die in a single hit, no matter what armor they have, how much health they have, or how much damage the attack would normally inflict. Cheapest at Wire-Masters in Renraku Arcology.

Anyway, my advice for getting cyberware is this:
- Samurai: Spurs (0.2,) Cybereyes (0.2,) Dermal Plating 2 (1.0,) Wired Reflexes 2 (3.0,) Smartlink (0.5,) Muscle Replacement 1 (1.0.) This will cost exactly 5.9 Essence.
- Decker: Assuming you want one longterm: same as Samurai, except replace Spurs or Cybereyes with a Datajack. If you're only hiring one for individual runs like I do, then I prefer to just have them get Wired Reflexes 2 (3.0) and a Smartlink (0.5) along with the requisite Datajack (0.2.)
- Mage/Shaman - Some people will tell you to NEVER get cyberware for your magic users, but I don't think it's that bad since I almost never use spells above level 4 anyway. Personally I like decking my magic users out (when I use them) with a set of Cybereyes(0.2) and level 3 Dermal Plating (1.5), which still leaves them with a Magic score of 4, which is plenty to finish the game with no problem.

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT
- Combat Sense Spell Lock - Basically makes all your magic more effective. Get the level 4 one from Merlin's Lore in the Renraku Arcology, the lower levels aren't worth the cost.
- Electronic Kit - Raises your chance of success at bypassing maglocks, as though your Electronics skill were a couple levels higher than it actually is. Get it at the Crime Mall in Puyallup Barrens. Not nearly as good as a Maglock Passkey, but a hell of a lot cheaper.
- Fetish - Absorbs drain from casting a spell. Not worth it in my opinion, since it's only usable 10 times and it takes up an inventory slot; I prefer to just set my spells so I don't take drain from casting them.
- Maglock Passkey - Basically a skeleton key that opens any maglock of the key's rating or lower (i.e. a level 3 passkey will let you open level 1, 2, or 3 maglocks.) EXTREMELY USEFUL. Basically eliminates the need to invest in the Electronics skill. Save up for the level 5 version, the lower ratings aren't really worth the money.
- Medkit - Restores both Mental and Physical health with each use; the amount healed is affected by the user's Biotech skill. Have one character invest in that skill and carry around a few of these and you'll be able to survive a lot.
- Power Focus - Makes all spells cast by the bearer more potent. EXTREMELY useful for magic users. Save up for the level 3 version.
- Protection Talisman - Reduces all types of damage the bearer takes. Very useful, but only usable by magic users.
-Smart Goggles - Allows the bearer to make use of a Smartlink. Supposedly not as good as getting the actual Smartlink cyberware.
- Spell Focus: Increases the potency of the associated spell (i.e. Heal Spell Focus makes your Heal spell stronger, duh :B) I almost never use these, but if you really wanna squeeze the most out of your magic I guess it couldn't hurt to pick one up for the appropriate spell(s). If you do, get the level 3 version.
- Stim Patch - Restores 20% mental health to one character. Useful early on, but they quickly become obsolete thanks to Medkits and someone with a decent Biotech (level 4 or so) skill.
- Trauma Patch - Same as a Stim Patch, except it restores physical health.
- Universal Ammo Clip - Stock up on these or else your guns aren't going to do you any good. You can buy these just about anywhere, but they're cheapest at Ares Weapon Emporium in Redmond Barrens.

WEAPONS AND ARMOR

Okay, I'm actually not going to detail all the weapons and armor in the game, because there are a lot of them and I don't have the patience, but I will explain the basics, and point out a couple items that are of particular note.

Guns have three ratings: Ammo, damage, and power. Ammo is how many shots you get per clip. Damage is how much damage they do, provided the shot actually penetrates the target's armor (if any.) Power is penetrative power, how good the gun is at busting through armor.

-Predator Heavy Pistol - You can buy this at Ares Weapon Emporium in Redmond Barrens as soon as you've got the cash for it- assuming you leave your Negotiation skill at the starting level, it'll be 675 nuyen. You'll make that much eventually, so save up for it, it's really not very much. Medium damage, which is the best you can get in a pistol, high power, 15 rounds per clip.

- Frag Grenades - Like all grenades these are useless for combat, but Frag Grenades specifically can be used for blowing open Maglocked doors (for some reason no other variety of grenade will work.)

Armor has two ratings: Guns and weapons. "Weapons" refers to stuff like punches from ghouls and gang members.

- Armor Jacket - A bit on the pricey side (around a grand,) but the best legal armor you can get, and the best you can get before prices start really ramping up with the Light Combat Armor.

- Lined Duster - I really only mention this because of the in-game description; it claims that this armor lets you conceal illegal weapons, but I've never actually seen this happen. Might be interesting if it did, but since it doesn't this armor seems to actually be completely worthless.

- Light Combat Armor - Runs about 10 grand a pop, but it's the second best armor you can get. Start saving up for this once you've got a steady income. However, it's illegal (for civilians) to posess, so if you get arrested you'll lose it.

- Heavy Combat Armor - The best armor in the game, but it costs 30 grand per suit. Obviously, this also is illegal. I don't consider it three times better than the light version though, so I usually stick with that unless I'm just swimming in spare cash.

SHADOWRUNNERS
It is in fact entirely possible to finish the game solo, but it's much faster and easier if you have a couple hired buddies backing you up. Generally you'll want to hire people to compensate for areas you lack in, but there's nothing necessarily stopping you from playing a shaman and hiring another couple shamans, or playing a samurai and blowing and slicing stuff up with a couple samurai buddies... or you could even theoretically play a decker and hire another couple deckers to... tag along and just kinda watch while you do the hacking yourself, since actually doing stuff in the Matrix is a solo activity. Consequently I prefer not to play a decker, and not have one on my team full-time, only occasionally when I need their skills for something specific.

Runners adjust their prices based on a few factors; your Charisma, your combined Reputation and Negotiation skill levels (they're simply added in this instance; having 4 Reputation and 4 Negotiation is the same as having 8 Reputation and 0 Negotiation,) and, if they've worked with you before, whether previous runs with you were successful or not. Note that "unsuccessful" includes both you dismissing them before the run is completed, and you letting them get beaten unconscious and abandoning them (leaving the area) before reviving them (leaving with a runner unconscious will also automatically remove that one from your team.) You can gauge, generally, how a runner feels about working with you by their responses (and prices) when you ask about hiring them.

Finally, you can hire runners for a single run, or you can hire them to be your buddy for life for ten times the price of a one-off.

ANYWAY, these are the hireable runners and where you can find them. The links go to their starting stats. Note that if you upgrade a runner's stats, change his equipement, or install cyberware, then dismiss him (or complete the run, if you hired them for a one-off) he'll keep those changes

MAGIC USERS
- RICKY (http://s22.postimg.org/ghjocefip/Ricky_starting_stats.png)
Dwarf; Rat Shaman; found in Jackal's Lantern, Redmond Barrens
WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Well, he's inexpensive, and he knows Stink 3, Flame Bolt 1, Invisibility 1, and Rockskin 2.
My opinion: Ricky is... kinda awful, to be honest. On the plus side you don't even have to leave Redmond to hire him, meaning that as soon as you can scrape together 115 nuyen he's happy to tag along. He CAN be good if you invest in building him up, but that goes for any runner, and others give you better starting material even if they are a lot more expensive. On the plus side, he's the only dwarf magic user in the game, giving him an advantage over everyone else in that his max Willpower is 7.

- TRENT DELISARIO (http://s22.postimg.org/5kicnmsr5/Trent_starting_stats.png)
Human; Mage; Found in the Space Needle, Downtown Seattle
WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Flame Dart 2, Heal Wounds 2, and Rockskin 3. He'll also give you the number for Prof. Jefferson (for free, even) if you ask about it.
My opinion: Not terrible but not great, either. I prefer Ricky as an early-game magic user, and you can hire him earlier and cheaper.

- WALKING BEAR (http://s22.postimg.org/e67u300lt/Walking_Bear_starting_stats.png)
Orc; Bear Shaman; Found in Friendship Restaurant, Council Island
WHAT SHE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Mana Zap 1, Mana Storm 4, Sleep 3, Heal Wounds 2, Confusion 2. She also, for whatever reason, has some levels in Firearms and Melee Combat. I guess she was a samurai before she found her calling as a shaman.
My opinion: She's a better magic user than Ricky or Trent, but I'm just not that big a fan of her. Hire her on if you feel like having an orc tagging along frying stuff.

- FREYA GOLDENHAIR (http://s22.postimg.org/sfl8qaj9t/Freya_starting_stats.png)
Elf, Mage; Found in Club Penumbra, Penumbra District
WHAT SHE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Mana Blast 3, Hellblast 3, Super Barrier 2, Invisibility 3, Sleep 4, Heal Wounds 4. That 6 in pistols also means she's pretty good with that Predator she packs.
My opinion: Not a big fan. She's a great mage, yeah, but... I dunno. Honestly, if I want to have a magic user on the team fulltime, I prefer to hire Ricky right off the bat and build him up. That's just my preference, though. Also note that because she likes to hang out in Club Penumbra between runs that Joshua will have to have a Reputation of 4 before you can even get in.

SAMURAI
- WINSTON MARRS (http://s22.postimg.org/d1rk2uia9/Winston_starting_stats.png)
Troll; Samurai; Found in Big Rhino, Penumbra District
WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: An Allegience Shotgun, a 4 in Shotguns, a 4 in Melee Combat, and the fact that he's a troll. Winston gets some sickening bonuses to his Body and Strength scores for being a troll- specifically, they cap out at 11 and 10 respectively, BEFORE cyberware (remember that these sats cap out at 6, barring cyberware, for humans.) He's also fairly inexpensive and the only requirement (besides money) for being able to hire him as your buddy for life is that you get Michael's stuff from Stoker's Coffin, then head to the Penumbra District. Furthermore he comes without any cyberware installed, meaning you can gan get him wired however you want.
My opinion: His starting stats are good but not stellar, but you can hire him from practically the beginning of the game, so if you hire him for life he's going to be gaining Karma at the same rate Joshua is. Personally I like having him focus on Melee Combat, Biotech, and Firearms. Get him decked out in cyberware and he'll destroy pretty much anything you point him at.

- ILENE TWO-FISTS (http://s9.postimg.org/hu5qoeqf3/Ilene_starting_stats.png)
Human; Samurai; not hireable at the beginning of the game (once she is she'll be found in the Jump House, Redmond Barrens)
WHAT SHE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Wired Reflexes 1, Muscle Replacement 1, and Hand Razors. Unfortunately, she starts with no gear beyond her cyberware.
My opinion: If you decide to hire her be sure to upgrade her Hand Razors to Spurs right away. Anyway, she's pretty good, though she pales in comparison to Stark, and still has 2.9 Essence left over (2.8 after Spurs) if you want to get some more cyberware for her.

- STARK (http://s22.postimg.org/qdkrc1lap/Stark_starting_stats.png)
Human; Samurai; not hireable at the beginning of the game (once he is he'll be found at Underground 93, Puyallup Barrens)
WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Well, he's wired to the teeth (possibly literally, in this case,) with Cybereyes, Spurs, Muscle Replacement 1, Dermal Plating 3, and Wired Reflexes 2. He also has a pair of Smart Goggles. Finally, once he's available he's always completely free to hire, no matter how many times you dismiss him, let him get clobbered, or fail a run.
My opinion: Stark's pretty great, and you can recruit him fairly early once you've got some decent equipment (see the section 'Saving Stark.') If you're not playing a samurai and you don't want to invest in getting Winston decked out, having Stark along is pretty good instead (and even if you are playing a samurai and/or do have Winston, more firepower and someone good with Biotech never hurts.)

DECKERS

- PETR UHEVR (http://s22.postimg.org/o56kupe6p/Petr_starting_stats.png)
Dwarf; Decker; Found in The Wanderer, Puyallup Barrens
WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Practically nothing, as he's a decker with a freaking 2 in Computers. The ONLY advantage he has over the other deckers you can hire is that the only cyberware he has is a Datajack, so you can customize his cyberware loadup (almost) completely.
My opinion: Waste of money, don't bother.

- PHANTOM (http://s22.postimg.org/8dbk7nt3l/Phantom_starting_stats.png)
Elf; Decker; Found in The Frag Grenade, Renraku Arcology
WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: Level 1 Wired Reflexes and a datajack. Also Hand Razors for some reason.
My opinion: Decent decker, but Rianna's better. On the other hand, Phantom only charges about half as much.

- RIANNA HEARTBANE (http://s22.postimg.org/6horwi49d/Rianna_starting_stats.png)
Elf; Decker; Found in The Matchstick, Downtown Seattle
WHAT SHE BRINGS TO THE TABLE: She's (initially) the best hireable decker, with level 2 Wired Reflexes and a Smartlink installed to boot. She's also not terrible with that SMG of hers.
My opinion: Good for Corp runs against Renraku and expert Matrix missions once you've built up her Computer skill and invested in a good cyberdeck (though to be fair, you could say that for anybody- Rianna just has a headstart on everyone else,) and a couple other specific instances, but I don't really have much use for her (or deckers in general) outside of that.

SPELLS AND MAGIC STUFF
Quick note: I really don't like or use magic all that much outside of a couple specific instances, so this section might be slightly biased, but if you want to try it out don't let me discourage you. I fully acknowledge that magic can be both extremely powerful and incredibly useful, but it's just not my style.

Also, I've mentioned 'drain' above. Drain is the result of casting a powerful spell without the skill or willpower to master it properly- in game terms, you take some Mental damage if you cast a spell at too high a level. This can be negated with fetishes, which you can buy from most magic stores.

- SPELL DESCRIPTIONS
- BARRIER - Creates a magic wall that can't be moved through, but CAN be shot through, and spells can penetrate it as well. I actually never use it, but it can be useful against Hell Hounds.

- SUPER BARRIER - Basically Barrier, except it blocks everything. Not bad as a last-ditch emergency measure.

- CONFUSION - AoE; Lowers the target's accuracy. Not bad if that's what you're looking for.

- STINK - Lowers target's accuracy. Only affects one target, but has a better success rate than Confusion, and the effect seems greater.

- HEAL WOUNDS - Restores physical health. Cast it at a level that doesn't cause drain and you can have your entire party at 100% physical health all the time. Very useful.

- SLEEP - AoE; Knocks targets unconscious, and also apparently does Mental damage. I've heard it's useful against Hellhounds, especially after whipping out a Barrier, but I've never really used it.

- ROCKSKIN - Raises one target's defense for a while. Okay I guess.

- INVISIBILITY - Not as useful as you might think, since corp cameras can still see you, as well as most paranormal enemies (like Hellhounds.) It DOES, however, work against most security guards (provided you haven't tripped an alarm.) See the 'Secrets, Tricks, Exploits, and Cheats' section for pretty much the only time I ever use it.

- MANA ZAP - Does a small amount of mana-type damage to one target. I don't know why this is even in the game, considering Mana Blast is better in every way.

- MANA BLAST - Does more mana-type damage to one target than Mana Zap.

- MANA STORM - Creates an explosion of mana-type damage, affecting everything in the area. I can't recommend it, since you'll almost invariably be blasting your allies and yourself with it as well.

- FLAME DART - Basically Mana Zap, except stronger and it does physical-type damage.

- FLAME BOLT - Basically Mana Blast, except stronger and it does physical-type damage.

- HELLBLAST - Again, basically Mana Storm, except stronger and it does physical-type damage.

So, why use the electrical mana spells when the fire spells do more damage? Because armor doesn't protect against mana damage. Early on this isn't going to be noticeable, but later, when you're regularly going up against Renraku strike teams and such, it's going to be a significant difference. Also note that Hellhounds are practically immune to fire, so you'll want to have a couple levels in Mana Blast for your spellcasters (or a decent gun.)

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-16, 08:04 PM
MR. JOHNSONS
This section contains minor spoilers, but nothing I'd consider significant.
- Mr. Gunderson
--Located in the Jump House, Redmond Barrens
A smalltime dealer, but his runs are quick and easy. He also, for whatever reason, offers the best deals for ghoul runs- I've seen hom offer as much as 100 nuyen per ghoul, but only afer seriously investing in my Negotiation skill. His other runs (courier and escort) will get you between 35-70 nuyen or so and 1 karma each.

- Mortimer Reed
--Located in the Big Rhino, Penumbra District
A step up from Gunderson, but I really only use him to get simple matrix runs that I can use to mine data to sell, and the contact info for Allesandro Hobbs for 1,500 nueyn, who sells level 5 Maglock Passkeys for 20,000 nuyen- which you'll definitely want to pick up sooner or later. Otherwise I don't consider it worth it to use him, since you'll be able to earn the same amount of karma and probably around the same amount of money in the same amount of time (if not less) by doing stuff for Gunderson.

-Juius Strouther
--Located in the Matchstick, Downtown Seattle
Tends to be a bit more demanding but also slightly more rewarding than Reed. I'd still rather work for Gunderson, personally. Strouther also has the contact info for Captain Quinton Jaymes, which he'll give you for a grand, and Jaymes can get you in touch with Sharkey.

-Vigore and Jarl
-- Located in the Wanderer, Puyallup Barrens
These guys offer the highest pay rates in the game, but they're also rather demanding. They offer the same kinds of runs as Caleb Brightmoore, but each run you do for them pays 1 karma less than doing the same run for Brightmoore. On the other hand you can access these guys right off the bat, after leaving Redmond, and don't have to pay a cover charge to get into the Wanderer. They also sell the contact info for Max for 750 nuyen.

-Caleb Brightmoore
-- Located in Icarus Descending, Downtown Seattle
You can't meet Caleb until after you've gotten info from Tabitha Shale about Michael's last run, then been to Boris Errascoe to find out what he knows. Even if you do get into Icarus Descending before then, Brightmoore's bodyguards will chase you off. He offers the hardest, but most rewarding jobs in the game, and has some important information for you at a couple points. He can put you in contact with Sgt. Chillicutt and Kipp David for 2 grand each.

CONTACTS
This section is also going to contain some spoilers- slightly moreso than the Mr. Johnsons section.

-Agira Tetsumi
-- Get from: Ratspike (Halloweener gang leader) for 10,000 nuyen
You need a reputation of at least 5 to even talk to this guy, then you have to pledge yourself to the Yakuza before he'll deal with you. Really only notable in that he sells Heavy Combat Armor for 30,000 per suit, the only place in the game you can get it, but I don't personally consider it that much better than the light version. He also sells a level 3 Power Focus, which is basically a Spell Focus for ALL spells, for 80,000 nuyen. Invaluable if you have a magic user on your team fulltime.

-Allessandro Hobbs
--Get from: Mortimer Reed for 1,500 nuyen
Sells a level 5 Maglock Passkey for 20,000 nuyen, which is all I really use him for. He also sells a level 3 version for 10 grand (which is a waste of money in my book) and can give you an insider at Hollywood Correctional for 8,000 (also a waste of money.)

-Capt. Quinton Jaymes
--Get from: Julius Strouther for 1,000 nuyen
Sells SMGs and Frag Grenades (who cares.) Only good for the other contact he can give you, Sharkey, for 2,800 nuyen.

-Gregory Wilns
--Get from: Prof. Jefferson, for 2,000 nuyen
Sells level 2 Power Focus for 50 grand (just save up for the level 3 version from Agira Tetsumi) and a discount at Merlin's Lore for 4,000. I don't bother with him. You might want to grab that Power Focus if you sided with the Mafia, though, since you won't be able to get the level 3 one anymore.

-Henry J. Culver
--Get from: Roadrash (Ork gang leader,) for 5,000 nuyen
Really only useful for deleting your Lone Star record, which he does for 2,500 nuyen. He'll also get you into Hollywood Correctional for 1,500 nuyen (I prefer to just shoot my way in) and he'll sell you a Weapon Permit, which keeps Lone Star from confiscating your illegal goodies, for 8 grand, which isn't worth it considering the occasional 'fines' Lone Star gives you during your random encounters with them are only 500 nuyen each- meaning that just to break even on this you'll have to use your permit 16 times, which at a rough estimate is is actually more often than I'm 'fined' during a given playthrough.

-Kipp David
--Get from: Caleb Brightmoore, for 2,000 nuyen
Sells a Fairlight Excalibur cyberdeck for 185,000 nuyen- nice if you never invest in Negotiation, since otherwise it'll run you a fair bit more at the Crime Mall. Also offers level 6 Rebound and Degrade programs, which are pretty useless.

-Mr. Faradouchi
--Get from: Mauler (Eye-Fiver gang leader) for 10,000 nuyen
First you need a Reputation of at least 5, then you have to align yourself with the Mafia (preventing you from siding with the Yakuza) before you can get anything from him. Once you've done that, he offers free stays at Wylie Gala inn (who cares, by the time you can leave Redmond the cost of hotels is pocket change anyway,) to keep Lone Star off your back (slightly more useful, but not that great- getting Joshua up to 6 Charisma means you'll almost never have to deal with anything worse than a 500 nuyen fine from them,) and a sizeable discount at the Crime Mall, which can save you a lot of money. Buy 3 Light Combat Armors for 5,000 nuyen each and you're already ahead by 5,000 nuyen (10,000 for the contact + 5,000 x 3 for the armor = 25,000.) Unfortunately, the discount only seems to apply to the weapons and armor there- the cyberdecks, hardware, and software still cost the same amount, which is a real shame considering that if it didn't you could get a Fairlight Excalibur for 125,000 with a 2 or less in negotiation.

-Professor Jefferson
--Get from: Trent (shadowrunner,) no charge
Offers a discount at Riannon's Magic Shop for 1,500 nuyen, another contact (Gregory Wilns) for 2,000, and can tell you about paranormal monsters.

-Sgt. Macklemann
--Get from: Allesandro Hobbs, 8,000 nuyen
He can get you into HOllywood Correctional for 5,000 nuyen, but everybody else who can get you in will do it for less. He does give some good information about corporate security and how to avoid detection though, but it's not worth eight grand. If you want to hear it I suggest you save before you get his contact info, then call him and hear what he has to say, then reload your game to save yourself the money.

-Sharkey
--Get from: Captain Quinton Jaymes, for 2,800 nuyen
She'll offer to airlift you Salish-Shidhe for 3,000 nuyen, or take you directly to the Sinsearach for 5,000. She also sells Smart Goggles (the only place in the game to get them) for 3,000 each.

-Wilma Temmenhoff
--Get from: Mr. Gunderson for 1,000 nuyen
Pretty useless. She'll tell you a little about the Matrix, and sells Rebound and Degrade at level 3 for 5,000 nuyen each.

SECRETS, TRICKS, EXPLOITS, AND CHEATS
Obviously, this section is going to contain spoilers.
-SAVING STARK-

This is a completely optional sidequest, but not a terribly difficult one, and for completing it you not only get to save the life of Michael's best friend, you unlock a pretty solid samurai you can endlessly recruit for free. Bare minimum to get him, you'll need michael's stuff from Stoker's Coffin, 500 nuyen for a visa into Salish-Shidhe, a little more cash for cab rides, and the ability to bypass a level 2 AND a level 4 maglock (which should be doable fairly reliably with a 5 in Electronics and an Electronics Kit from the Crime Mall, which will run about 1,000 nuyen- or you could just blow them apart with Frag Grenades if you think you can handle the security guards swarming you afterward.) That's it.

http://s24.postimg.org/8w2n1xpvp/Stark_1.png
Once you arrive in Salish-Shidhe, head to these caves, located in the southeast corner of the area you get dropped off in by cab.

http://s24.postimg.org/vjdaucg1x/Stark_2.png
Spooky. Anyway, head south then east and take the exit in the south wall.

http://s24.postimg.org/bjs3caix1/Stark_3.png
Follow this path south until it splits, then go east across a couple bridges.

http://s24.postimg.org/g34bxt0sl/Stark_4.png
You'll wind up here. Head inside.

http://s24.postimg.org/b9fzf7ex1/Stark_5.png
http://s24.postimg.org/5mjmhqced/Stark_6.png
http://s24.postimg.org/svsfxqced/Stark_7.png
http://s24.postimg.org/z5npkqbt1/Stark_8.png
http://s24.postimg.org/y9r85a24l/Stark_9.png
http://s24.postimg.org/psrpucxfp/Stark_10.png
http://s24.postimg.org/4x5fj418l/Stark_11.png
http://s24.postimg.org/zfv842qf9/Stark_12.png
http://s24.postimg.org/3ksbuyt6t/Stark_13.png
http://s24.postimg.org/twxa0lirp/Stark_14.png
http://s24.postimg.org/5qmmpgwn9/Stark_15.png
In other words, Stark's so decked out with cyberware that he's practically a Terminator at this point, and magical healing only works on your natural body. Head back to Downtown Seattle, then to Seattle General in the southeast corner of the area.

http://s24.postimg.org/y4s29ck79/Stark_16.png
http://s24.postimg.org/s6e8z418l/Stark_17.png
http://s24.postimg.org/dbpnkxrnp/Stark_18.png
http://s24.postimg.org/fhjyffv45/Stark_19.png
http://s24.postimg.org/pg4x1x4jp/Stark_20.png
http://s24.postimg.org/6cbllkrph/Stark_21.png
http://s24.postimg.org/xo6umwwg5/Stark_22.png
http://s24.postimg.org/lp0ecpx6t/Stark_23.png
The Fuchi building is in the northwest corner of the Penumbra District, the same building that you get dropped off next to when you take a cab there. Before you head inside, you'll want EITHER a Maglock Passkey of at least level 4, OR someone with a 5 or 6 in Electronics and an Electronics Kit, which you can get at the Crime Mall in Puyallup for about a thousand nuyen, OR at least two Frag Granades.

http://s24.postimg.org/z4nf265ol/Stark_24.png
Head north until you reach the third door on the right, then head west and north again to the elevator. Doing it this way will allow you to bypass being seen by any of the security guards stationed around. Of course, if you've got someone who can make you invisible this isn't necessary. Anyway, head to the elevator and take it up to the third floor.

http://s24.postimg.org/kdsn491l1/Stark_25.png
All the doors surrounding the elevator are level 2 Maglocked. They should be easy to bypass if you've got someone with 5 Electronics and an Electronic Kit. From there, head south down the hall to the third door to the east, which is level 4 Maglocked. bypass the door however you can (Electronics, a passkey, or a frag grenade, though the grenade WILL set off an alarm) and grab the heart from the safe inside. Then retreat back the way you came, and deliver the heart to Seattle General.

http://s24.postimg.org/6dqlc3zut/Stark_26.png
http://s24.postimg.org/qc6gehkjp/Stark_27.png
http://s24.postimg.org/wgxyrtcn9/Stark_28.png
http://s24.postimg.org/j1ay2d45h/Stark_29.png
Head to Underground 93.

http://s24.postimg.org/nr5h4pkjp/Stark_30.png
Sure enough, Stark's hanging out at the bar. He can give you some information about Michael's last run- they were hired to locate an old elven tomb that supposedly had part of a map in it. Michael knew more, but he didn't tell the others why it was important.

If you ask him to sign on he joins up for free, no questions asked.

[http://s24.postimg.org/yo27fqhxh/Stark_31.png
http://s24.postimg.org/tqomumfyd/Stark_32.png
Stark comes wired to the teeth and with some pretty solid stats.

- NO RISK ATTITUDE IMPROVEMENT AND KARMA FOR RUNNERS-

Take a run in which you have to return to your Johnson for payment (ghoul hunting, extraction, acquisition, enforcement, or matrix) and then complete it. Now that it's done, but BEFORE you go to collect your pay, hire a runner, THEN return to your Johnson. Even though the runner you hired wasn't along for the actual work, they'll get the karma, and this still counts as a successful run, so it'll still improve their attitude towards working with you, so you'll get a discount next time you hire them.

- EARLY RUNS AGAINST RENRAKU -
Take a retreival run against Renraku from Vigore and Jarl or, once you've progressed far enough to unlock access to him, Caleb Brightmore. Right outside the building, cast Invisibility on yourself (or if you're not playing a shaman, hire a magic using runner and have them cast it on themselves; the game only checks if the character you're controlling is invisible, for some reason, and if they are then guards won't harass any of your party. Obviously, this means that you want to be controlling your shaman runner if you're not playing a shaman) and head inside. There are two safes by the start- check these, and if the package isn't in either one, exit and repeat- the location of the package for a retrieval run is randomized every time you enter the building, so there's a small chance you might get it from one of these two. Other stuff you can find includes: up to 250 nuyen, frag grenades, stim patches, trauma patches, scatter grenades, one to five clips, or a medkit with a random number of uses, (all of which, barring clips, you can sell at Weapons World, just down the escalator from Renraku's front door.) Note that Invisibility has an inconsistent duration, even when you cast it at the same level every time, so be sure to save after every couple jaunts inside in case it wears off at an inopportune time. Also bear in mind that once you DO find the package, you can get a pretty good payoff from your Johnson, and if afterward you still don't have all the cash you want you can simply repeat the process.

- DATAMINING -
I consider this an exploit since it clearly wasn't intended by the developers, so I'm putting it here. Anyway, part 6 has more info about the matrix and specifically data mining. As soon as you can afford to, hire Phantom, or, if you don't mind saving up, Rianna (or if you don't mind building him up from practically nothing, Petr) - assuming of course you're not playing as a decker yourself. Then head over to Mortimer Reed and get a simple Matrix run. Once you find one of the square DS (datastore) nodes, download all the files you can until you either get kicked off or you can't hold any more (regardless of how much storage you've got, you can only hold a maximum of five files.) Then head to Roscoe the fence, who is located in the southwestern-most building in Downtown Seattle, and sell the data files. I've seen him offer up to 2,500 nuyen for a single file, but generally you'll get, on average, about 1,000 nuyen per sellable file, though some files he'll just call junk and refuse to give you anything for them. This is probably the fastest method in the game to farm money, barring the cheat code below.

- CHEAT CODE -

At the title screen, enter A B B A C A B, then load up a game (or start a new one.) Then open up your Pocket Secretary and scroll down to the black space below the Save/Load Game option, and select it. From here, you're presented with the following options:
- Nuyen: Sets your credstick balance to 250,000 nuyen. Note that it does not add that much, it sets it TO that amount, meaning that if you have more, then using this will actually cause you to LOSE money.
- Spells: Gives the selected character every spell at level 4.
- Test Deck: Gives you a pretty good cyberdeck, and every program at level 4. Unlike the previous options, if you have a program higher than level 4 using this won't lower it.
- Pick System: Allows you to enter any Matrix system you want.
- Heal All: Restores your entire team to 100% Mental and Physical health.
- +10 Karma: Raises your entire team's karma by 10.
- Contacts: Gives you most contacts in the game.
- Walk fast: Increases your walking speed. Useful if you're doing a bunch of courier/escort runs for Gunderson to farm karma.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-16, 08:06 PM
THE ACTUAL WALKTHROUGH
Part 1

http://s22.postimg.org/60g4tzgnl/2_1.png
http://s22.postimg.org/5evrbmaz5/2_2.png
http://s22.postimg.org/4f5gfwvtd/2_3.png
http://s22.postimg.org/h1fvcqya9/2_4.png
http://s22.postimg.org/99z5e6u4x/2_5.png
http://s22.postimg.org/s4uw4lu6p/2_6.png

Blah blah, exposition exposition.

http://s22.postimg.org/61z9evx8x/2_7.png
http://s22.postimg.org/ymdso44k1/2_8.png
http://s22.postimg.org/wvurmmn0x/2_9.png
(C)

http://s22.postimg.org/l9anlhzpt/2_10.png
(B)
http://s22.postimg.org/axyasu80h/2_11.png

The Jump House is located in the northwestern part of the Redmond Barrens, and since we have nothing better to do or a better way to earn money, let's head up that way. While you're wandering around outside you'll occasionally see other people on the street- just ignore them. You CAN kill them for the occasional small amount of nuyen if you want but doing so gets you a criminal record, and while eventually that's not really going to matter it'll be a significant pain in the ass early on.

Quick layout of Redmond, with the names in approximately the same place the buildings are located on the map:
Jump House, Jackal's Lantern, Boris' Greenhouse, abandoned building (ghouls)
Hollywood Correctional, Stoker's Coffin, Ares Weapon Emporium, Little Chiba Chop Shop
Rat's Nest, Shiawase Nuke Plant, Halloweeners' hideout

Arriving at the Jump House...
http://s22.postimg.org/9zmj4ak29/2_12.png
http://s22.postimg.org/yxzuemadt/2_13.png
It's kinda hard to see, but there's a guy sitting at that table in the northwest corner. Head up and talk to him.

http://s22.postimg.org/4e0408jdd/2_14.png
If you ask him for information he'll give you a basic rundown of how shadowrunning works- in short, people contact people like him, who are called "Mr. Johnson" or just Johnsons, to preserve their anonymity, tell him what they want done, and he acts as a go-between for them and chumps like you, who actually do the dirty work.

Ask him about work and he'll offer you a job. This can be either a courier or escort run, or he might ask you to clean out some ghouls. We're not up to fighting hordes of the undead (yet) and there are better ways to earn money, so stick with the other types for now. Basically, these consist of going to point A, then going to point B (for instance, the Jump House to the Halloweeners) without getting yourself or the guy you're escorting killed. Once you've arrived at your destination, you'll get paid either by the recipient of the package or the guy you escorted, and that job's over. You'll also get 1 karma for each courier or escort mission you complete for Gunderson (other Johnsons pay more and you earn more Karma, but as all of Gunderson's jobs are limited to Redmond, you're not going to be wasting money on cabs, and you'll probably be able to make about the same amount of money and karma in the same amount of time, so when I'm grinding karma I stick with him.) He doesn't offer very much money per run, but he's our only source of income for the moment.

Furthermore, while you're walking around there will be random events. A partial list includes someone offering to sell you frag grenades (pass them up- even if you do buy them and it's not a Lone Star sting, the sixth one will blow up in your hands, AND as I keep saying grenades are useless.) You can also find someone being chased by a 'doctor,' who may actually be a vampire who wants to drain his blood, but may actually be a legitimate doctor. I always go with apprehending the fleeing person because you always get 50 nuyen that way. If the guy being chased is actually an escaped patient you don't get anything, and if the 'doctor' is actually a vampire and you help the victim he'll give you 100 nuyen. I prefer the guarenteed 50, myself.

ANYWAY, do runs for Gunderson until you've saved up at least 250 bucks and head back to Stoker's Coffin. If you need to rest (doing so restores about 20% physical health and 100% mental health) you can rent a room there for 20 nuyen per night.

http://s24.postimg.org/u3jpbspqd/2_15.png
(C)

http://s9.postimg.org/6litsierj/2_16.png
(A)

http://s22.postimg.org/l0ho9bcb5/2_17.png
http://s22.postimg.org/y7748u80h/2_18.png
http://s22.postimg.org/vgxsbnbbl/2_19.png
http://s22.postimg.org/5zfds1tld/2_20.png
http://s22.postimg.org/4lnqwquc1/2_21.png
http://s22.postimg.org/8kpjtb8cx/2_22.png
http://s22.postimg.org/vkw75n66p/2_23.png
http://s22.postimg.org/p9qzp84y9/2_24.png
Now that we've got Michael's stuff we can visit the rest of Seattle (if you try to do so before now you'll find that all roads between Redmond and the rest of the city have been blocked off.) Also, now that we've got some cash, it's time to hire our first shadowrunner. Head up to the Jackal's Lantern.

http://s22.postimg.org/t7e9emrrl/2_25.png
http://s22.postimg.org/5a16tfifl/2_26.png
That guy at the bar, Ricky, is the one we're here for.

http://s22.postimg.org/oo20t49w1/2_27.png
If you ask he'll tell you his story- basically, he grew up in a slum until his totem animal, Rat, spoke to him and taught him magic. Ask about hiring him and he'll tag along for a single run for 155 nuyen. 155 nuyen is fairly cheap, and there's an interesting thing about shadowrunners that I described in the section about them above but I'll repeat it here: If you hire a runner for a single run, they'll only count that run once you actually have to go back to your Johnson to get paid. That means that they'll actually stick with you through an indefinite number of courier or escort runs. So hire Ricky for a single run, and have him tag along for the next little bit. Before you actually go anywhere though, have him switch to using his Flame Bolt spell from the magic menu, rather than his crappy Streetline Special peashooter (which I suggest you sell. He won't mind.)

Next time, we start raking in some cash.

danzibr
2016-04-17, 01:39 PM
Iiiiinteresting. I'll be reading this. I played Shadowrun on SNES, and discovered somewhat recently (maybe last year) that there was a Genesis version, and the Genesis version is different.

In fact, I was considering doing a blind LP of this. The info you gave in the first post was very helpful.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-17, 11:46 PM
Part 2

http://s4.postimg.org/lp6t8xghp/3_1.png
Head up to any of the vidphone terminals you see around and select the Call Taxi option.

http://s4.postimg.org/dkyp46u2l/3_2.png
Use left and right to select the place you want to go. Right now we're headed for Puyallup Barrens, in the west.

http://s4.postimg.org/505dd0jwd/3_3.png
Obviously, cabs cost money. Fortunately, they're not very expensive.

http://s4.postimg.org/gt36h8gcd/3_4.png
From here, where you get dropped off, head northwest

http://s4.postimg.org/uo1gzparh/3_5.png
This is the Wanderer, head inside and talk to the guy in the northeast corner.

http://s4.postimg.org/dh4vnxol9/3_6.png
http://s4.postimg.org/68t8ynbul/3_7.png
http://s4.postimg.org/pt7s1fcfx/3_8.png
First off, ask him about information, then contacts. He'll offer you a contact, Max, for 750 nuyen. Buy it (if you don't have the cash be sure to buy it first thing after this next part.)

http://s1.postimg.org/plcyz6pj3/3_MAX.png
This is what your Pocket Secretary has to say about Max, by the way. You'll want to save up to grab that level 5 Maglock Passkey eventually, it's incredibly useful, but for right now it's not necessary. The Corp Badge is extremely useful as well; it's basically a fake ID saying you're authorized to be wherever you are when security flags you down while you're inside a corporate building. Max says it's only good for one run, but I've found this isn't the case. Sometimes it disappears after you flash it to get out of trouble, but more often than not it doesn't, so you can use it again. I don't know what causes it to disappear, I'm afraid.

Once you have Max's phone number, ask Vigore about work and he'll offer you a job. If it's not a retrieval run from Renraku (and it specifically need to be a retrieval run, not an extraction run,) turn him down. Once it is...

http://s4.postimg.org/3srfkstrx/3_9.png
You'll notice he offers a sickening amount of money for this point in the game. Take the job, then head back to a phone terminal to get a taxi to the Renraku Arcology.

3http://s4.postimg.org/npxctrcn1/3_10.png
In the north of the area, you'll find Renraku HQ. Have Ricky cast Invisibility on himself, then, while still controlling Ricky, head inside. You'll automatically sneak past the front door guard and be inside.

http://s4.postimg.org/mdk95m4l9/3_11.png
It's hard to see because he's magically invisible, of course, but Joshua and Ricky are both in this screenshot; Ricky's in that messed-up looking area inside the green brackets. Head directly north to open the wall safe you can see there- DO NOT attack the guards you see! You'll get either the run package, some basic equipment (a medkit, some slap patches, clips, grenades, or cash,) or nothing. Every time you enter a corp, the contents of the wall safes, and consequently the location of the target package, is randomized. Anyway, after opening this safe, head to the room to the west and open the safe there, then make your exit. Once you're outside, save the game, have Ricky renew his invisibility, and repeat. You'll eventually find the package this way if you keep it up long enough, but it's probably going to take a while. In the meantime, sell the crap you're collecting from the safes for some extra cash at Weapons World, which is just down the escalator and slightly west from Renraku's front door- if you're at this long enough, you may actually make more money stealing stuff than Vigore and Jarl are offering you. Once you have the package return to Vigore for your payment, as well as 5 karma for everybody in your party at the moment. You can repeat this as often as you want, and if you're playing as a shaman you won't even have to hire Ricky to tag along after the first trip, since you'll be able to buy and cast Invisibility yourself.

Once you've retrieved a package this way (and gotten Max's contact info from Vigore,) you'll want to get a serious bodyguard (even if you're playing as a samurai. Backup never hurts.) Fortunately, there's a guy you can hire who's pretty much perfect for the job.

http://s4.postimg.org/5w6g67iyl/WINSTON_1.png
Take a cab to the Penumbra District and head south a bit until you see some bushes, then east to this bar, the Bigh Rhino, and head inside.

http://s4.postimg.org/gx1lb8b7h/WINSTON_2.png
That green dude at the bar? He's gonna be our best friend.

http://s4.postimg.org/za26lslod/WINSTON_3.png
Select (B) and hire him for life for 3,800 nuyen. He's already pretty solid, but eventually he's going to be a monster.

Once you've got Winston permanently on the roster and given him a Predator pistol, it's time to get some better gear. Grab an Armor Jacket if you started off as a decker or shaman, and another for Winston- or if you've got the patience to do a couple more retrieval runs against Renraku, some Light Combat Armor from the Crime Mall (which is west and one block north of the Wanderer in Puyallup.) If you're not a shaman, you'll also want to get a Predator pistol and some cyberware- specifically, I suggest you get either a smartlink (and outfit your Predator with a smartgun system and a silencer) or cybereyes at this point, as well as spurs for Winston and yourself if you're playing a samurai (it never hurts to have a backup weapon if you unexpectedly run out of ammo.)

Of course, all the fancy gear in the world isn't going to do us any good if we don't have the skills to back it up, so we need to get some karma- and the fastest way to get karma is by doing escort and courier runs for Gunderson. Yes, I know, they're boring and tedious, but a necessary evil. You're going to be at this for a while, and while you are, I suggest you hire a couple runners- not for safety's sake, but rather because you'll be gaining karma for them as well while you're at it.

If you're not playing a decker I suggest you hire Rianna for a one-shot and spend the karma she earns on maxing out her Body stat, since that 1 Body she starts with it just awful, then spend everything else she earns in her Electronics skill until it's up to 6, then, if you're still farming karma, start investing any additional karma she owns in maxing her stats (barring Strength and Charisma, which are useless for her,) then her Computers skill.

As for Joshua, start maxing out his Attributes, starting with Charisma. After that you should be focusing on either Firearms, Computer, or Sorcery, depending on which archetype you picked at the beginning of the game. (Though if you're playing a Decker you'll still want his Pistols skill up to 5 or 6 or so.)

Winston's Karma should be spent getting his Biotech up to level 6, then maxing his stats, and after that the rest can go into Firearms. His Melee Combat can stay at 4 if you want- that 11 Strengh he's eventually going to end up sporting (before cyberware, even) is going to be destroying anything he hits with his Spurs- but it can't hurt to get it up to 5 or 6.

Next time, we do a lot of running around for not much payoff.

Sean Mirrsen
2016-04-18, 01:12 AM
Oh hey, I like this game. Played it on my own Mega Drive II way back when.

Since you've listed some cheats and secrets, I'll share a cheat slash bug exploit I found while playing:
Infinite Black Market cash:
There is at one point later in the game, a Black Market location that sells all the best gear and equipment. After you do a series of quests for its owner company (I don't remember if it's a corporation or a gang or whatnot), you get a 50% discount off of all items in the market. It's a great deal, as it basically allows you to buy stuff for the same value as you sell it... so long as you didn't max out your Negotiation beforehand. In which case you start buying stuff for half the price you can sell it for. With obvious consequences.
I know that on at least some of the later ROMs of the game, the bug has been patched out, because I distinctly recall being unable to reproduce it. But it did work for me on my Mega Drive. :)

Fri
2016-04-18, 03:04 AM
Oh boy. This is one of my favourite genesis game ever!

Since I first ever learned about LP, I've always been thinking about LPing this game. But I realized it's a huge undertaking, so I've never did it.

Will be following this with great gusto, chum.

Also, is datamining really unintended exploit? Because that was my main source of income when I played this game, and I don't know how I can afford most stuff if I don't freelance at stealing corporate secrets

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-18, 04:11 AM
Also, is datamining really unintended exploit? Because that was my main source of income when I played this game, and I don't know how I can afford most stuff if I don't freelance at stealing corporate secrets

I really can't say for sure to be honest, but I personally consider it an exploit just because it feels that way to me.

T.G. Oskar
2016-04-18, 03:28 PM
Degrade is really a bust, but I consider Rebound 6 to be a pretty darn useful program for any Decker alongside the Duet (Attack and Deception). It's a layer of Defense against all attacks, and even if it breaks easily, the rebound attack always hits - something you can't assure even with Computers at max, the Excalibur and a maxed Attack program rating. You still get two busts in case you suspect of a Tar Pit (to protect your Deception program) with that set-up.

I've played it on an emulator on my phone, and while I'm pretty close to finishing it, the datamining can be pretty fun. Decided to play as the Shaman since controlling the healer/blaster is pretty essential, plus you can control what spells you get; sure, the loss of a slot in your inventory can hurt, but it's nothing when your Mana Blast allows you to be weapon-less, and your Magic + Focus rating eventually makes Fetishes worthless. It's pretty easy to build a set-up where Drain is of no concern, and between Stark and Rianna, you get a really solid team.

The only problem is no map, which is a problem when dealing with the last legs of the game (right at the point when you have to find you-know-who in you know where). Trying to get through that labyrinthine caverns section just to get to THAT point makes it difficult, particularly when you get a lot of Hellhounds to follow you. Playing that section on a Genesis probably was a test of endurance.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-18, 06:44 PM
Part 3
Head to Downtown Seattle and to Seattle General Hospital, in the southeast corner.

http://i.imgur.com/jwGFyZl.png
http://i.imgur.com/mBvoemJ.png
(A)

http://i.imgur.com/4LKdUHF.png
http://i.imgur.com/iFFooXq.png
http://i.imgur.com/O4EnXtE.png
Hm. Well, that's kind of a bust. Let's check out this Tabitha Shale person who left a letter for Michael. She says she's holed up in Tarislar City Inn in the Puyallup Barrens, so let's pay a visit. Tarislar is in the northeast corner of that section.

http://i.imgur.com/rNGXpw6.png
http://i.imgur.com/BQHzumU.png
(C)

http://i.imgur.com/D0eb4Fw.png
http://i.imgur.com/0cfkHX1.png
http://i.imgur.com/zC5brNt.png
http://i.imgur.com/S8XCkMK.png
http://i.imgur.com/wmBXs2G.png
http://i.imgur.com/jn5Y1rP.png
(A)

http://i.imgur.com/HBBcjLL.png
http://i.imgur.com/lDiFch3.png
It actually doesn't matter what you say here, because...

http://i.imgur.com/la94ocA.png
http://i.imgur.com/0r1tTbg.png
http://i.imgur.com/bKpJVub.png
http://i.imgur.com/EfBbK6M.png
Looks like we've got our next couple leads. Shame about Tabitha, though. Next stop, Council Island. Take a taxi there and enter the building immediately south of where you arrive.

http://i.imgur.com/q9O3Gkk.png
(A)

http://i.imgur.com/6dj1Am7.png
(A)

http://i.imgur.com/F4RNntk.png
If you've broken the law, by, say, murdering one of the random pedestrians you occasionally see on the street, you won't be able to get a visa (and you don't get your 500 nuyen for the security check refunded.) There are a couple ways to wipe your criminal record. The simplest it to just go to Lone Star HQ in the northeast of the Penumbra District and walk in the front door. You'll automatically be arrested, lose any illegal equipment you or your runners had, fined all the money on your credstick, then kicked back out onto the street, but at least you won't be a wanted man anymore and can now purchase a visa to Salish-Shidhe.

The first alternate way, if you don't want to give up all your cash and illegal gear, is to visit the ork gang in the Penumbra district and talk to their boss, Roadrash. If Joshua's Reputation is 4 or lower you have to pay 750 nuyen to meet him. If it's higher you can talk to him for free. He'll offer to sell you a contact, Henry J. Culver, who is a Seattle city official, for five grand. Henry will then offer to delete your Lone Star record for another 2,500 nuyen.

The other way to get into Salish-Shidhe include going to the Matchstick club in Downtown Seattle, where Rianna hangs out, and talk to Julius Strouther in the corner, another Mr. Johnson. He'll sell you a contact, Captain Quinton Jaymes, for 1000 nuyen. Call the captain and ask him about contacts. He'll sell you a rigger's number, Sharkey, for 2,800 nuyen. Once you have her number, Sharkey offers to give you a ride into Salish-Shidhe for 3 grand.

http://i.imgur.com/mj8kAgi.png
Regardless of how you get there, when you arrive in the Salish-Shidhe wilderness you'll be next to a road, and immediately to your east is the only vidphone out here. Follow the path leading south, then east across a bridge until you get to a village. Enter the building directly south of the bridge to meet David Owlfeather.

http://i.imgur.com/05xbCgu.png
You can ask about the other stuff if you want, but it's just flavor text. Pick (C).

http://i.imgur.com/DR0FLpK.png
http://i.imgur.com/gJOegv0.png
http://i.imgur.com/HfNhLBK.png
http://i.imgur.com/IM2pi9w.png
http://i.imgur.com/D8VIRih.png
OF COURSE YOU DO BECAUSE NOTHING IS EVER STRAIGHTFORWARD

http://i.imgur.com/keIqq60.png
Great. ANOTHER stupid tangent to chase down before we can actually make any freaking progress.

Anyway, it's at this point you can learn more about Stark- see the Secrets, Tricks, Exploits, and Cheats section. I plan to do this now, and is the main reason I had Rianna level up her Electronics skill. This is actually 100% optional to do, but I suggest you do it anyway because Stark's pretty awesome.

LibraryOgre
2016-04-19, 02:36 PM
Pretty much the reason to keep the ability to keep Genesis games on hand.

Personally, I like to start off as a Shaman, then take about 2 Essence in cyberware (maybe less, never more), building a hybrid decker/shaman. You're going to wind up having to build a deck ANYWAY, and I like having the skills high for random encounters.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-19, 11:21 PM
Part 4

Whether or not you met Stark in between the last update or not doesn't matter. Anyway, we found out from Tabitha, before she was killed, that Boris Errascoe was probably the last person who saw Michael alive, so let's go pay him a visit. Boris hangs out in Redmond, two doors east of the Jump House.

http://s31.postimg.org/evqtvuggr/5_1.png
http://s31.postimg.org/gdgvl5al7/5_2.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/uaz1qg8nv/5_3.png
(A)

http://s31.postimg.org/i7tq2vxln/5_4.png
Might as well ask while we've bought his time. (B)

http://s31.postimg.org/cm7aytwwr/5_5.png
http://s31.postimg.org/7f2cc09nf/5_5_5.png
http://s31.postimg.org/o7hh6jie3/5_6.png
Hm. We'll have to ask around and see who saw him last. Now ask him about Michael.

http://s31.postimg.org/mbuovdtjv/5_7.png
http://s31.postimg.org/70kvurw7v/5_8.png
http://s31.postimg.org/dgywhzb2z/5_9.png
http://s31.postimg.org/qmeeo34yj/5_10.png
http://s31.postimg.org/oj3zgf55n/5_11.png
Well it looks like I'm the king of bad timing, huh?

http://s31.postimg.org/89dtdiuhn/5_12.png
Once you've perforated the strike team (or gotten ground into mulch by them, depending on how prepared you are for this fight) our next step is to find out who saw Aragorn last. Start working your way through the Johnsons you know...

http://s31.postimg.org/47wq7v26z/5_13.png
Looks like Reed knows something. (C)

http://s31.postimg.org/w470bw063/5_14.png
Mitsuhama, huh? We'll have to pay them a visit. Ask him about Mako Sachou next.

http://s31.postimg.org/xfjcy3l5n/5_15.png
Club Penumbra's another stop to add to our checklist, it looks like. And we didn't even have to pay him for this info. You're a good guy in my book, Reed.

http://s31.postimg.org/wft22e5zv/5_16.png
Mitsuhama is this building directly north of the Big Rhino. I don't have a Maglock Passkey or anyone with a decent Electronics rating on the team at the moment...

http://s31.postimg.org/7ipolhhi3/5_17.png
But I DO have eight Frag Grenades. I know I keep saying grenades in this game suck, and that's because they do for combat, but you can use Frag grenades to blow up doors instead of trying to jimmy your way past them. Obviously this is going to set off an alarm, but I'm rolling with a team of three tanks, and Mitsuhama security guards aren't that great at fighting. BRING IT ON, MITSUHAMA!

http://s31.postimg.org/p13qa0k4b/5_18.png
Head north into that hallway, then east, then north to an elevator. You're almost definitely going to run into a security guard or two on the way, but who cares. If you can't fast-talk your way past them just blow them away, head up to the elevator, and wait for the alarm to end before getting in and heading up to floor 5.

http://s31.postimg.org/m9kgjelln/5_19.png
There's a security camera at the west end of this room, which is probably going to spot you and set off an alarm. Again, who cares. Head out into the hall and south.

http://s31.postimg.org/xzye0see3/5_20.png
Head south through that door (which is level 2 Maglocked) to find Aragorn.

http://s31.postimg.org/dtzhfn84b/5_21.png
This is the text for blowing up a door with a frag grenade, by the way.

http://s31.postimg.org/kyhaoofdn/5_22.png
Hey, there's Aragorn.

http://s31.postimg.org/ntudvjjdn/5_23.png
http://s31.postimg.org/bhrhi1viz/5_24.png
He runs like hell once he realizes you've cleared the path to the front door. Oh well. Leave the way you came in and head back to Salish-Shidhe to talk to David.

http://s31.postimg.org/6lnuqcvdn/5_25.png
http://s31.postimg.org/vir879jvf/5_26.png
http://s31.postimg.org/r8ckboesb/5_27.png
http://s31.postimg.org/fyofugz4r/5_28.png
http://s31.postimg.org/xd8o2qw9n/5_29.png
http://s31.postimg.org/ytk6kvz6j/5_30.png
Aragorn's a jerk, but whatever. We did what David asked, and he points us to our next destination.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-20, 01:14 PM
Part 5
http://s31.postimg.org/ut7lrx1y3/6_1.png
The Medicine Lodge on Council Island is located in the northeast.

http://s31.postimg.org/5w48b0dgb/6_2.png
(C)

http://s31.postimg.org/55bi58b2z/6_3.png
http://s31.postimg.org/hdp6g7iu3/6_4.png
That's him.

http://s31.postimg.org/g7gl3o55n/6_5.png
http://s31.postimg.org/qisxwbwuz/6_6.png
http://s31.postimg.org/onaqywxej/6_7.png
http://s31.postimg.org/4ouvwjcpn/6_8.png
Remember how I said nothing is ever straightforward?

http://s31.postimg.org/l14xm9r17/6_9.png
http://s31.postimg.org/9davrq1wb/6_10.png
Gargoyles are those big stone monsters you run into occasionally in Salish-Shidhe and some abandoned buildings. Return to the phone terminal and head to Downtown Seattle.

http://s31.postimg.org/ookosbz8b/6_11.png
This building has what we need. This is at the south end of the area, two blocks to the west of Seattle General. Note that there's another abandoned building directly east of this one, but gargoyles don't spawn in it.

http://s31.postimg.org/rwp65dli3/6_12.png
http://s31.postimg.org/w73u0yql7/6_13.png
Any gargoyles you kill will drop their horns from now until you return to Spirit Eyes, but you only need one. Head back to see him.

http://s31.postimg.org/rnw6t6y3f/6_14.png

Back to that building we were just at.

http://s31.postimg.org/3lfcybhgb/6_15.png
http://s31.postimg.org/sjso8n7rv/6_16.png
Yeah, Hellhounds are kinda bastards. Anyway, heal up and head back to Spirit Eyes again.

http://s31.postimg.org/5ajusn7rv/6_17.png
http://s31.postimg.org/n9nphcniz/6_18.png
A dragon feather. Fantastic. Where the hell am I gonna find a dragon? And OF COURSE Spirit Eyes doesn't know either. That's just great.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-21, 05:41 PM
Part 6

This update isn't going to be very important to the plot, so you can skip it if you want, but it will detail how the matrix works.

Incidentally, once your Reputation gets to or above 6, Renraku strike teams will randomly pop up now and then and attempt to gun you down. At this point I spend some time grinding karma with Gunderson in order to get my team's Firearms skills up to 6 or 7 each. Afterwards, I dismiss Stark for the moment and hire Rianna and take a simple matrix run (he'll actually call it that) from Mortimer Reed and start farming money. Her default 6 in Computer should be more than enough for a task like this.

http://s31.postimg.org/3utdw6eyj/7_1.png
Once you've got a simple matrix run, head to this terminal in the Downtown Seattle area. Control Rianna, then go up to it and select Cyberspace, Enter Passcode, then Run Passcode. Load your Attack and Deception programs, then hit the Start button.

http://s31.postimg.org/jhkn9jsqj/7_2.png
Welcome to the Matrix. The d8 shaped thing in front of the node means we don't know what kind of IC (pronounced 'ice,' stands for Intrustion Countermeasures) this node has yet. Your first action at this point should always be trying to run Deception, which lets you bypass the IC and access the node.

http://s31.postimg.org/qejezteez/7_3.png
Unfortunately we can't deceive this kind of IC, so we have to destroy it with our Attack program. Select it and hit either A, B, or C; A launches a strong but inaccurate attack, C launches a weak but accurate attack, and B is in the middle. Personally I prefer to spam C. Any programs you run will have to refresh, indicated by the bar in the upper left, before you can run it again.

http://s31.postimg.org/3uxz9x4cb/7_4.png
http://s31.postimg.org/mfm7gzprv/7_5.png
Upon destroying the IC we can access the node and from there enter the system.

http://s31.postimg.org/ch18uigcb/7_6.png
Usually you can only see nodes you've been to, and go to adjacent nodes, kind of like the overworld map in Super Mario World. If you've already destroyed the IC for a given node, though, you won't have to do it again if you return. If you manage to break into the CPU node you can go anywhere in the system.

http://s31.postimg.org/69puuckl7/7_7.png
Successfully using Deception lets us get by the IC without having to destroy it.

http://s31.postimg.org/qskqzeyij/7_8.png
Our next destination is that square DS (datastore) node to the left.

http://s31.postimg.org/4adugofnf/7_9.png
Now that we've got access to this node, we can either leave it (duh,) steal information, or erase a random file. Erasing a file only has a point if you're been contracted to do that specifically- otherwise it's just a waste of time that raises the chance of you sounding an alarm, so let's steal some information.

http://s31.postimg.org/iw4v4xcfv/7_10.png
Unfortunately, this result is frustratingly common.

http://s31.postimg.org/498ykdk57/7_11.png
Much better. Note however that your cyberdeck only has so much room for storage, so you probably won't be able to store more than one or two files if you haven't upgraded it yet. Anyway, once you've got all the stolen info you can hold, hit Start and select the Jack Out option to leave the matrix. Then head inside the building you're standing outside of to meet Roscoe.

http://s31.postimg.org/hid89md6j/7_12.png
(A)

http://s31.postimg.org/pdnrofmt7/7_13.png
1,200 nuyen isn't bad for as fast as a single trip into that system takes. He's the only buyer of this stuff in the game, so you won't get better prices anywhere.

http://s31.postimg.org/sls91h92z/7_14.png
Repeat this process until you've got all the cash you want. Bear in mind, though that his is probably going to take a LONG. FREAKING. TIME. If you intend to spend a while doing this, though, I suggest the first thing you buy with your new loot is a better cyberdeck, which will allow you to store more stolen files, more powerful (higher level) programs, and allow you to act faster and more precisely while you're jacked in.

There are a bunch of different cyberdecks in the game, and the one you start out with, the Allegience Alpha, is the bottom of the barrel. Even so I don't recommend going through every deck you can get. Save up for a SEGA CTY-360 deck, which will run you 60 thousand nuyen. That should be good enough to hold you over until you can afford a Fairlight Excalibur (if you ever need it- strictly speaking, you never actually HAVE to spend any time in the matrix to complete the game, though it can make things much easier), which is the best deck in the game. If you'd prefer to upgrade earlier, though, you could instead save up for a Fuchi Cyber-5 for 25 thousand, then later swap that out for a Fuchi Cyber-7 which goes for 125 thousand.

Regardless, once I've got my cyberdeck upgraded I drop a bunch of cash on getting Joshua and Winston wired as much as Stark is. I also grab another couple suits of Light Combat Armor from the Crime Mall.

http://s31.postimg.org/p7f4igjzv/7_15.png
http://s31.postimg.org/3v2knntq3/7_16.png
NOW we're ready to take on some of the dangerous stuff.

KillingAScarab
2016-04-22, 08:56 AM
Thank you for posting this. Once upon a time, I would rent this game cartridge, but each time I had no idea what I was doing. I think clearing out ghouls was the first run offered to me, and I didn't know you could receive other runs. It felt like a catch 22: I need to be stronger to beat the ghouls so I can make money so I can be stronger. Even your text only "map" of the Redmond Barrens is more info than I had back then.

I went looking for more information, and there's a post on the GameFAQs message board with a Game Genie code (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/366854-shadowrun/67492694) which supposedly fixes the one-hit KO bug.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-22, 06:08 PM
Part 7

http://s31.postimg.org/hpry68d8r/8_1.png
Time to hunt down this Mako Sochou guy. Supposedly he likes to hang out at Club Penumbra.

http://s31.postimg.org/wgrbhw6q3/8_2.png
Club Penumbra is this big building in the southeast of the Penumbra District with all the plants out front.

http://s31.postimg.org/5dtn6herv/8_3.png
You need a Reputation of at least 4 to get in, and even then it'll cost 75 nuyen (remember it's Joshua's that matters, nobody else's.)

http://s31.postimg.org/rlt15vj0r/8_4.png
http://s31.postimg.org/cfrksoidn/8_5.png
http://s31.postimg.org/4ctehcxsb/8_6.png
After downing three strike team members (and Mako...)

http://s31.postimg.org/hftmedde3/8_7.png
http://s31.postimg.org/u4jbkau4r/8_8.png
http://s31.postimg.org/ycip6sky3/8_9.png
http://s31.postimg.org/4i1r4ruh7/8_10.png
http://s31.postimg.org/6lc6cfua3/8_11.png
http://s31.postimg.org/ete3xfm6j/8_12.png
http://s31.postimg.org/fpfna026j/8_13.png
http://s31.postimg.org/cnov01p1n/8_14.png
http://s31.postimg.org/o6jqynw97/8_15.png
http://s31.postimg.org/62gqe0ykr/8_16.png
http://s31.postimg.org/79uo68op7/8_17.png
I don't know why Renraku wanted to gun down one of their own guys, but I don't really care. He gave us all the information he had, so next we want to check out this Ogami guy. If you missed it, Mako says he's probably staying in a local hotel, so let's pay a visit to Gates Underground.

http://s31.postimg.org/66ajua423/8_18.png
Gates Underground is located in Downtown Seattle, directly east of the Space Needle.

http://s31.postimg.org/5zwur6ux7/8_19.png
Great. Let's catch up to him there. It's the building directly to the south.

http://s31.postimg.org/kbky9u2h7/8_20.png
http://s31.postimg.org/434q0ctmz/8_21.png
After blowing away Ogami and his buddies...

http://s31.postimg.org/vg9wv407f/8_22.png
http://s31.postimg.org/khyncxbm3/8_23.png
http://s31.postimg.org/dhf8xvz7v/8_24.png
http://s31.postimg.org/5pyizbv2j/8_25.png
http://s31.postimg.org/ke9faevij/8_26.png
http://s31.postimg.org/v2d6995hn/8_27.png
http://s31.postimg.org/jraikvymj/8_28.png
Ten grand isn't much at this point in the game, but it's still nice. More important is the information; Vigore has some connection to Thon, and we got the passcode for Ito's personal computer. Additionally, Virgore and Jarl disappear from their usual booth in the Wanderer at this point, and if you haven't gotten the contact for Max from them yet, you can't get it anymore.

Anyway, the 'Tips & Clues' section of your notebook now has this page...

http://s31.postimg.org/p3zcz0miz/8_29.png
Indeed it may...

Before you tackle Renraku proper, I suggest you have your samurais' and deckers' Firearms skills (or Pistols, if you specialized) and any mages Sorcery skill up to level 6 or 7, Light Combat Armor for everyone, and silenced and smartlinked Warhawk pistols for everyone who uses firearms (remember that firing an unsilenced gun inside a corp building automatically trips an alarm) and Mana Blast at level 3 or 4 for your magic users, and don't forget to stock up on Medkits. Getting a Corp Badge and a level 5 Maglock Passkey from Max (you DID get Max's contact info from Vigore and Jarl before now, right?) for 6,000 and 42,000 nuyen, respectively, isn't a bad idea, either. This is overpreparing, but personally I prefer to be overprepared than underprepared.

Fri
2016-04-22, 08:53 PM
For the longest time, I was stuck right before this part.

To enter club penumbra you're supposed to have reputation above certain point (4, as you mention in op?), or I think maybe you can bypass it by having phantom or other elves as your friend? I forgot. But definitely reputation above certain point.

I'm not sure why I don't have the reputation. Do you have to actually increase notoriety (honestly, this game is the actualy reason why I learned that word) using Karma, or you have to do actual shadowruns to increase it? If it's the former, I guess I just never raised it since I didn't think it has any practical use, and if it's the latter, it's because I spent most of my time as freelance data thief and rarely did actual shadowruns.

Not sure how did I finally solved it as well.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-22, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure why I don't have the reputation. Do you have to actually increase notoriety (honestly, this game is the actualy reason why I learned that word) using Karma, or you have to do actual shadowruns to increase it?

Reputation is a skill just like Sorcery or Biotech or Melee Combat, you have to deliberately increase it the same way you'd raise those. It doesn't go up automatically.

Fri
2016-04-23, 03:57 PM
Yeah, as I suspect. That explains it. I wonder how did I finally figured that out as a kid.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-23, 07:24 PM
Part 8

Okay Renraku, let's see what secrets you're holding.

I prefer to go in with Winston and Stark and blow the heads off anybody who tries to stand in my way. Also remember that magic invisibility doesn't fool cameras, so don't think you can sneak around like you could early on when we were just stealing stuff from the wall safes in the lobby. Really, the worst part of this section is just trying to figure out where the hell what you're looking for is. Fortunately, unlike the package for a retreival run, the location of this item never changes, plus you're reading this guide, so it's actually fairly quick and painless (provided you've got everybody geared up well enough. as detailed at the end of the last part.)

http://s31.postimg.org/f1wivonmj/9_1.png
BRING IT ON, RENRAKU!

http://s31.postimg.org/xdn6ctw9n/9_2.png
If you're not invisible you'll automatically be spotted by a security guard right off the bat. Flash your fake ID at him or try to fast talk him. Of course, if neither of those work there's always the option of shooting him. Once you're past the guard, head east into the hallway, then all the way north, then west a bit to find the elevators. If you're spotted by a camera and an alarm sounds, just duck into a room and wait for the blaring to end.

http://s31.postimg.org/nhm3d6qhn/9_3.png
Get in the one on the LEFT (this is actually very important) and go up to floor 6.

http://s31.postimg.org/suaxrbee3/9_4.png
On the sixth floor, take the first door to the west you see. In that room go north through the level 4 Maglocked door and open the wall safe.

http://s31.postimg.org/tc63763yz/9_5.png
http://s31.postimg.org/4wxv64523/9_6.png
http://s31.postimg.org/olat2w0ij/9_7.png
http://s31.postimg.org/3vxmgzo2j/9_8.png
TIME TO FIGHT! Blow away any guards stupid enough to try to stop you and wait for the alarm to end before heading back the way you came. (If you don't already know or aren't told exactly where to find this map, this section can take MUCH longer.)

So now we have a useless half of a map, and no idea what the hell ELLESIA means, if anything. This is just fantastic. Let's pay a visit to Caleb Brightmore, since he's the only lead we've got left.

http://s31.postimg.org/gv40xqy6z/9_9.png
Icarus Descending is this bar in the east of Downtown Seattle, right before you pass into the Renraku Arcology.

http://s31.postimg.org/42fwxtml7/9_10.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/dqtd0yhej/9_11.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/lm3wfrr17/9_12.png
Fine, be a jerk. At least we know waht the hell Ellesia means now. Ask him about Caleb.

http://s31.postimg.org/p74dcqkyj/9_13.png
You can get in for free after you've talked to Boris the fixer about Michael; before that you have to have either a reputation of 6 or higher, or Phantom, Rianna, or Freya with you at the moment (as they're elves.)

http://s31.postimg.org/rtjvtoc63/9_14.png
http://s31.postimg.org/ix93pqljv/9_15.png
http://s31.postimg.org/8cz675h23/9_16.png
http://s31.postimg.org/r7uwxkh3v/9_17.png
http://s31.postimg.org/vsh3ci0t7/9_18.png
http://s31.postimg.org/p5ufjbj4r/9_19.png
http://s31.postimg.org/c875ngpln/9_20.png
Yet another instance of us getting no help and the person we're talking to passing the buck. Great. Splendid. Fantastic. Why should things change now. Incidentally, Caleb's a high-end Johnson, generally sending us on the same kinds of missions that Vigore offered. Caleb pays less cash but more karma. You can also buy a couple contacts from him (Sgt. Chillicutt and Kipp David) for two grand each. The Sergeant is kinda useless since there's another person we can contact who will do everything he does, but cheaper. Kipp David sells a couple moderately useful programs for deckers, as well as Fairlight Excalibur cyberdeck for 185,000 nuyen- a noticeable discount from the one you can get at the Crime Mall if you haven't been investing heavily in the Negotiation skill.

Speaking of contacts, there's one I haven't picked up yet who can be useful; Henry J. Culver, which we might as well pick up since we're going to be in the area anyway. Take a cab to the Puyallup Barrens and head into the building immediately west of where you're dropped off.

http://s31.postimg.org/tixkfhh97/9_21.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/f10d7hpy3/9_22.png
http://s31.postimg.org/70m2j090b/9_23.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/amrvvnfdn/9_24.png
Sure, why the hell not.

http://s31.postimg.org/7g2e95197/9_25.png
Henry will delete your Lone Star record for 2,500 nuyen (the only real use for this is so you can get into Salish-Shidhe if you're wanted by Lone Star without turning yourself in and losing all your cash and illegal loot.) He'll also offer you access to Hollywood Correctional for 1,500 nuyen (thanks...?) and he'll sell you a weapons permit for eight grand, which prevents the random Lone Star encounters you have from harassing you about carrying around enough illegal weapons and armor to outfit a small country, as well as other neat stuff like Maglock passkeys and such. If you've got a Charisma of 6 though (which you definitely should by now,) you can almost always talk your way out for free or, at worst, pay a 500 nuyen "fine" on the spot instead. Getting this contact is NOT necessary, but it can make things more convenient.

Whether or not you do this, head up to the northeast corner of this area and visit the Tarislar City Inn, which is where Tabitha Shale was staying if you'll remember.

http://s31.postimg.org/e7stbzq8r/9_26.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/cijq3xajf/9_27.png
NOTHING IS EVER FREAKING STRAIGHTFORWARD

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-25, 07:31 AM
Part 9

http://s31.postimg.org/li9f6g9dn/10_1.png
http://s31.postimg.org/pv7yovi4b/10_2.png
http://s31.postimg.org/51jypvlh7/10_3.png
Before we begin, a look at my team's stats. I'm a bit overpowered actually, but hell with it. Me any my Terminator buddies are ripping this city a new one just for all the stupid crap it's put me through, I don't care anymore.

ALSO before we begin, it should be noted that you can skip wandering around in caves and stuff during this next part and go to the Sinsearach directly by calling Sharkey and getting a lift for 5,000 nuyen. It's a short trip if you know the way though, so it's not worth the money.

Assuming you don't just get airdropped to your destination directly, head to Council Island to get a visa and then grab a taxi to Salish-Shidhe. This area is huge and everything looks the same, so follow my directions carefully or else you might very well end up hopelessly lost until you eventually just get worn down completely.

From the highway, head south and follow the path east to the village, then go into the caves in the southeast corner of the area.

http://s31.postimg.org/bsv81dri3/10_4.png
From here, head south, then east along the wall until you reach an opening, and head through it.

http://s31.postimg.org/xf5n4o0or/10_5.png
Now that we're back outside, follow this path to the south and take the western fork when it splits, and follow it into another cave.

http://s31.postimg.org/3pyfc6lq3/10_6.png
Yes, I KNOW all the caves look alike in this area, and yes, I know it's confusing. Anyway, from this area go south then west along the wall to get to the exit going south to the next screen.

http://s31.postimg.org/60qighsaj/10_7.png
From here head southwest, and take the exit in the western wall.

http://s31.postimg.org/b71nrj723/10_8.png
And from here we head south and west one more time to take the ext to the south.

http://s31.postimg.org/q6ylt4dbv/10_9.png
Ahh, fresh air. Head south along this path and cross the bridge to the west, then follow that path west and pass the first branch going north, then take the second northern road until you reach the Sinsearach.

http://s31.postimg.org/bg8vsbfjv/10_10.png
Those statues look foreboding, but this really isn't as bad as it might seem (Because actually it's worse. Honestly I'd rather fight a dragon than what's coming up...) Head inside.

http://s31.postimg.org/4j9niocxn/10_11.png
(A)

http://s31.postimg.org/3wfsq9md7/10_12.png
(B)

http://s31.postimg.org/si1pueuez/10_13.png
NOTHING IS EVER-- UGH. *headdesk* FINE. (B)

http://s31.postimg.org/wi8v6nkvv/10_14.png
http://s31.postimg.org/n2xl76s8r/10_15.png
http://s31.postimg.org/m4h84wewr/10_16.png
NO I DON'T AGREE EXCEPT I HAVE TO OR ELSE I WON'T GET ANYWHERE SO FINE.

http://s31.postimg.org/oabizeid7/10_17.png
http://s31.postimg.org/4v0r6ap2z/10_18.png
http://s31.postimg.org/3u0ih683f/10_19.png
http://s31.postimg.org/6cm7huttn/10_20.png
(A) Sure. Fine. Whatever gets this over with faster.

http://s31.postimg.org/cwtl1xx8b/10_21.png
Once you're dropped off head back to the AmerIndian village to the southeast.

http://s31.postimg.org/dsz98vlob/10_22.png
Red Buffalo Woman lives here.

http://s31.postimg.org/9eqrx1b3v/10_23.png
http://s31.postimg.org/k3zvbjxiz/10_24.png
Whatever. Back to the freaking stupid damn elves. I hate elves. I'm so damn tired of getting the runaround from everyone.

http://s31.postimg.org/4713eu54r/10_25.png
Oh shut up already. (B)

http://s31.postimg.org/8qhxe3ce3/10_26.png
http://s31.postimg.org/oh7llgl17/10_27.png
http://s31.postimg.org/pra0e946z/10_28.png
What IS it about this place that makes what remains of Seattle look good by comparison? Yet another moron we have to track down, of course, and OF COURSE we're given exactly zero clues about where to find her.

Fri
2016-04-26, 04:50 AM
Yeah, the main thing against shadowrun is it barely tell you anything. No even clues on what are what in the city map. Like, "your mission is to go to the so-and-so alley" but, where's that!? There's no label in the map!

It's a great game, but I only manages to actually play it after having it for ages and faffing around absorbing layout of cities without ever advancing at all for ages.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-26, 12:09 PM
Part 10

Okay, so we have to find this Ilene person and have zero idea about where she could possibly be. The only thing I can think of to do is ask Johnsons, so let's do that. Caleb seems like a promising place to start, so head to Icarus Decending in Downtown Seattle, and tell him you're looking for information, then that you have some questions.

http://s32.postimg.org/g568a9g91/11_1.png
(A)

http://s32.postimg.org/thpm7scqt/11_2.png
Oh. Well... that was surprisingly painless and straightforward for once. Back to Redmond.

http://s32.postimg.org/tbvo9sbyd/11_3.png
http://s32.postimg.org/dd37ek9dx/11_4.png
(A)

"Subtle" is not a word in my vocabulary.

If you don't have the gear and stats to do this, but do have a bunch of money, some contacts (like Henry J. Culver, as I mentioned above) can also get you in without a fight (for a price.)

http://s32.postimg.org/5vtzzcjut/11_5.png
http://s32.postimg.org/vig5sm8w5/11_6.png
After waxing the guards, head back inside and try blowing away the guard post again. Because of Genesis' hardware limitations you'll only face one guard if you fail a second time because the bodies of his coworkers are still on the ground, and after that you won't have to face any more guards no matter how many times you fail (unless you walk away and despawn the bodies.)

http://s32.postimg.org/56ft0q8p1/11_7.png
Success!

http://s32.postimg.org/sag9tbc05/11_8.png
Despite what just happened, the guards inside are NOT on alert, so don't provoke them. Head south from here, then directly west as far as you can go. When you reach the western wall, go up one row.

http://s32.postimg.org/6begjukjp/11_9.png
There's our target. Her door is sealed with a level 5 Maglock, but if you don't have a level 5 passkey or a high enough Electronics skill, you can just blow it apart with a frag grenade. However you get the door open, head inside and talk to her.

http://s32.postimg.org/i5m7hhith/11_10.png
http://s32.postimg.org/l9wve9zlx/11_11.png
http://s32.postimg.org/9gz2a235x/11_12.png
http://s32.postimg.org/m3e2kmv0l/11_13.png
Whatever. If you haven't provoked any of the guards you can just walk out without anybody paying any attention to you.

http://s32.postimg.org/uzouoklmt/11_14.png
Like she said, you can find her in the Jump House. A look at her cyberware. Since she just escaped prison she obviously isn't going to have any equipment- not even that crappy zip gun the text mentioned.

http://s32.postimg.org/fi1ckvf5x/11_15.png
Ilene's initial stats. She's not bad, but I've already invested a lot in Winston, and Stark's better off the bat and generally less of a hassle to unlock- plus he's free to hire. Anyway, time to head back to the Sinsearach yet again.

http://s32.postimg.org/p54uul85h/11_16.png
Hmph. About time someone started showing me some respect. (B)

http://s32.postimg.org/5pyof8491/11_17.png
http://s32.postimg.org/7ghpgpls5/11_18.png
Yeah yeah, whatever.

http://s32.postimg.org/3rs0h8br9/11_19.png
http://s32.postimg.org/lztfvv4at/11_20.png
http://s32.postimg.org/n8hbhhw91/11_21.png
http://s32.postimg.org/bee5xlnd1/11_22.png
http://s32.postimg.org/f9hk066it/11_23.png
http://s32.postimg.org/65j4zq4xx/11_24.png
http://s32.postimg.org/9dnmcrr7p/11_25.png
http://s32.postimg.org/e0toejekl/11_26.png
http://s32.postimg.org/kv3z4877p/11_27.png
http://s32.postimg.org/9nzq9uv7p/11_28.png
"When you've attained wisdom." Great. How helpful.

Looks like the only lead we've got left that we can really do anything about directly is trying to find the scale of a feathered serpent for Spirit Eyes. Now as far as I know, nobody in the game ever tell you where or how to find one- I guess you were just expected to wander around the Salish-Shidhe wilderness at random until you stumbled across one. But thanks to the internet, we have guides written by nerds with too much free time so I'm going to tell you exactly how to find him. If you're not starting from the area where the Sinsearach tribe is, go there first (again, from the highway it's southeast, south, west, south, west, south.)

Okay, from the Sinsearach, go to the southeast corner of the area.

http://s32.postimg.org/nf8spt9j9/11_29.png
GEE I WONDER IF THIS COULD POSSIBLY MIGHT BE THE RIGHT WAY MAYBE

Anyway, head inside the caves to the southeast. Once inside the cave, take the exit to the south, then go west, then west again, and then west a third time.

http://s32.postimg.org/gwbcz57yd/11_30.png
Renraku! Blow them away with your shotguns and/or Warhawks, then continue west.

http://s32.postimg.org/m907d9vut/11_31.png
http://s32.postimg.org/xmmqoh6dh/11_32.png
http://s32.postimg.org/m1h5uia9x/11_33.png
http://s32.postimg.org/t8iuqdl6t/11_34.png
(B). Even if you pick A, he'll give you another chance.

http://s32.postimg.org/eufgymzd1/11_35.png
http://s32.postimg.org/3nb849nd1/11_36.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ft0feo22t/11_37.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ak5egsjnp/11_38.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ralu38oed/11_39.png
Well, that's... certainly something. Let's head back to Spirit Eyes.

http://s32.postimg.org/cxse4x4ed/11_40.png
http://s32.postimg.org/6mn6oi35x/11_41.png
http://s32.postimg.org/wm5c1ozut/11_42.png
http://s32.postimg.org/jykzbfvk5/11_43.png
http://s32.postimg.org/lb79r2idh/11_44.png
http://s32.postimg.org/cc80mjypx/11_45.png
http://s32.postimg.org/lla6wo7lx/11_46.png
Well, I more or less already knew that, but I guess it's nice to have it confirmed.

Shpadoinkle
2016-04-27, 06:26 PM
Pat 11

Final part.
Now that we're pretty much out of leads, let's head back to the Sinsearach once again and see if we've "attained wisdom" or whatever.

http://s32.postimg.org/x8yzr3zqt/12_1.png
http://s32.postimg.org/zg38f1511/12_2.png
http://s32.postimg.org/m0gpwhpyt/12_3.png
http://s32.postimg.org/okccqldit/12_4.png
http://s32.postimg.org/9pnrcf3xx/12_5.png
http://s32.postimg.org/7z4qaxmet/12_6.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ahqfbm851/12_7.png
http://s32.postimg.org/70od8n92t/12_8.png
http://s32.postimg.org/k3ol5nool/12_9.png
http://s32.postimg.org/xtj4egbsl/12_10.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ghirt0ib9/12_11.png
Off to Puyallup it is, then.

http://s32.postimg.org/tzpo5augl/12_12.png
http://s32.postimg.org/5yis3ufn9/12_13.png
http://s32.postimg.org/4xijepynp/12_14.png
http://s32.postimg.org/d6z06vhrp/12_15.png
http://s32.postimg.org/90e5rji5x/12_16.png
http://s32.postimg.org/bk9sln5px/12_17.png
http://s32.postimg.org/mil23tub9/12_18.png
http://s32.postimg.org/d0lb3s8mt/12_19.png
http://s32.postimg.org/wjpwd57ed/12_20.png
http://s32.postimg.org/p50kkrlit/12_21.png
http://s32.postimg.org/hrprzjqut/12_22.png
http://s32.postimg.org/9orlo869h/12_23.png
http://s32.postimg.org/t7w6xl511/12_24.png
http://s32.postimg.org/nnjpmy65x/12_25.png
http://s32.postimg.org/4h6ijrpo5/12_26.png
http://s32.postimg.org/3vhjnnulx/12_27.png
http://s32.postimg.org/xc1r3tqd1/12_28.png
Blah blah blah blah blah. Anyway, if you check the Wanderer you find that Vigore and Jarl are long gone, and have been since you killed Ito Ogami. Nobody at the Wanderer knows where they went, so I guess it's back to asking Johnsons if they know where they might have gone.

http://s32.postimg.org/gpk6uqxf9/12_29.png
Unexpectedly, Gunderson knows something. (B)

http://s32.postimg.org/fojy5mgfp/12_30.png
The Rat's Nest? Huh. Worth checking out I guess.

http://s32.postimg.org/3qidrqcol/12_31.png
http://s32.postimg.org/5jlag1xv9/12_32.png
http://s32.postimg.org/laaynf6id/12_33.png
Score! Back to Harlequin.

http://s32.postimg.org/ad9mynjqt/12_34.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ulx0kdj1x/12_35.png
http://s32.postimg.org/424fi8iid/12_36.png
http://s32.postimg.org/7zrp7n5bp/12_37.png
http://s32.postimg.org/4vh1auoj9/12_38.png
http://s32.postimg.org/7i155j54l/12_39.png
http://s32.postimg.org/49wnshiut/12_40.png
Grab your beefiest runners, get them the best weapons (Allegiance shotguns, or Warhawk pistols if had them specialize in pistols) and armor you can (Light Combat Armor from the Crime Mall, or you can get Heavy Combat Armor from Agira Tetsumi for 30 grand apiece if you ally with the Yakuza through the Halloweeners by asking their leader for contacts- and no you didn't miss anything, I actually haven't mentioned this before aside from in the Contacts section. The heavy version isn't a huge improvement over the light one, though) and make sure your magic users are using Mana Blast (since it bypasses armor) at the highest level they can muster without suffering drain (or you could stock up on a few Fetishes for them and blast away at full power.) Also be sure you're stocked up on clips and medkits.

http://s32.postimg.org/c7r2u4w51/12_41.png
(A)

http://s32.postimg.org/4qhvex6lx/12_42.png
http://s32.postimg.org/clsetqg8l/12_43.png
http://s32.postimg.org/a70j9azzp/12_44.png
http://s32.postimg.org/5evbbluph/12_45.png
The place is crawling with gunmen, so shoot everything that moves and don't stop as you make your way north.

http://s32.postimg.org/rj5h8hiut/12_46.png
http://s32.postimg.org/xhjaiq1th/12_47.png
http://s32.postimg.org/7n9hsy1th/12_48.png
http://s32.postimg.org/tu3jcntmd/12_49.png
http://s32.postimg.org/vogduegmt/12_50.png
http://s32.postimg.org/98tcyi1f9/12_51.png
http://s32.postimg.org/64ip1pkmt/12_52.png
Thon is here, along with his toadies Vigore and Jarl. Target Thon himself and start blasting, and shortly...

http://s32.postimg.org/old3sj0l1/12_53.png
http://s32.postimg.org/cyszred9x/12_54.png
http://s32.postimg.org/ilpcovfsl/12_55.png
http://s32.postimg.org/wlreh0hit/12_56.png
http://s32.postimg.org/sybnay9bp/12_57.png
http://s32.postimg.org/rbr13gmnp/12_58.png
http://s32.postimg.org/vopklvved/12_59.png
http://s32.postimg.org/lsohm8pmd/12_60.png
http://s32.postimg.org/gvax14nn9/12_61.png
http://s32.postimg.org/n02fegfqt/12_62.png
http://s32.postimg.org/i0a13mgfp/12_63.png
http://s32.postimg.org/bwsgjpq5x/12_64.png