PDA

View Full Version : Durable, Resting, and spending HD

Jgosse
2016-04-16, 09:41 PM
I don't understand what is meant by spending HD. After a short rest I can "Spend" a HD Role and heal. My character is a 3rd level barbarian with a con of 19 . I can role a d12 +4 and heal 5-16 hp with durable 12-16 hp but if I spend a hd do I lose it till I have a long rest or something? I can't find an explanation in the book can some one clear this up for me?

CaptAl
2016-04-16, 09:45 PM
You regain your HD at a rate of 1/2 your maximum per long rest. So at 3rd level, if you spent all 3 HD to heal up in one day, you'd need 2 full long rests to recover your spent HD.

Rysto
2016-04-16, 09:47 PM
I don't understand what is meant by spending HD. After a short rest I can "Spend" a HD Role and heal. My character is a 3rd level barbarian with a con of 19 . I can role a d12 +4 and heal 5-16 hp with durable 12-16 hp but if I spend a hd do I lose it till I have a long rest or something? I can't find an explanation in the book can some one clear this up for me?

"Spending" a hit die is what you always do on a short rest to gain HP back. Regardless of whether you have the durable feat or not, spent hit dice are not regained until you take a long rest (and even then, you only regain 1/2 of your total hit dice on a long rest).

Jgosse
2016-04-16, 09:51 PM
ok but spending is just the term used to indicate use. at 3rd level I can 3 times a day during a short rest heal one hd. there is no penalty to doing this?

bid
2016-04-16, 09:54 PM
I can roll a d12 +4 and heal 5-16 hp with durable 12-16 hp
I'm not sure if it isn't 8-16 hp. Regain twice your Con is 8.

Jgosse
2016-04-16, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure if it isn't 8-16 hp. Regain twice your Con is 8.
I was thinking it applied to the role not the total. not as good but still useful.

DracoKnight
2016-04-16, 10:20 PM
I was thinking it applied to the role not the total. not as good but still useful.

It's amazing if you have +5 CON but only a d6 HD, like my melee Draconic Sorcerer.

Jgosse
2016-04-17, 05:25 AM
ok but spending is just the term used to indicate use. at 3rd level I can 3 times a day during a short rest heal one hd. there is no penalty to doing this?

Still tying to figure out if this is correct. I have never played 5E so not familiar with how resting works and the book is not clear.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-04-17, 07:06 AM
The terminology can be a little confusing.

Every time you level up, you gain a HD, the size of which depends on class. This increases your hit point maximum (by rolling or taking the average rounded up) as a one-time effect and also sticks around as a reusable healing resource. This latter use has no effect on your maximum hit points, i.e. "spending" a HD doesn't involve shaving off the hit points it originally gave you.

When it comes to spending HD, you can conceptualize it as moving spent HD from an "available stock" space to an "unavailable stock" space when rolled during a short rest to regain HP, or maybe as each individual spent HD greying out mysteriously. Then at the end of a long rest, a number of spent HD refresh back to the available stock/ungrey themselves. Again, this in itself has no effect on current or maximum hit points.

(A nice variant rule is to have a short rest equivalent at the beginning of each long rest, so people can spend HD they expect to regain anyway, or to prepare for being ambushed by nocturnal anteaters.)

DanyBallon
2016-04-17, 07:35 AM
Here is how I see it; when you create your character you start with maximum HP + con modifier based on the type of Hit Dice your class have. You also one of such HD in a HD pool. When you level up, you role HP based on the HD of the class you've taken (same HD if you continue in the same class, or can be different for a different class), you also add this HP to your HD pool (if you have different HD type, write them separately).

When you short rest, you may spend one or more dice from your HD pool, you roll each dice and add you com modifier to the result of each dice rolled. The total is the number of hit point you regain in this short rest. Durable assure you that you will always regain HP at least equal to twice your Con modifier (minimum 2).
A long rest let you get back spent HD for your HD pool up to half your character level.

I hope my answer combined to all the above will make more clear for you :smallsmile:

Jgosse
2016-04-17, 07:42 AM
The terminology can be a little confusing.

Every time you level up, you gain a HD, the size of which depends on class. This increases your hit point maximum (by rolling or taking the average rounded up) as a one-time effect and also sticks around as a reusable healing resource. This latter use has no effect on your maximum hit points, i.e. "spending" a HD doesn't involve shaving off the hit points it originally gave you.

When it comes to spending HD, you can conceptualize it as moving spent HD from an "available stock" space to an "unavailable stock" space when rolled during a short rest to regain HP, or maybe as each individual spent HD greying out mysteriously. Then at the end of a long rest, a number of spent HD refresh back to the available stock/ungrey themselves. Again, this in itself has no effect on current or maximum hit points.

(A nice variant rule is to have a short rest equivalent at the beginning of each long rest, so people can spend HD they expect to regain anyway, or to prepare for being ambushed by nocturnal anteaters.)
thank you that's perfect

Jgosse
2016-04-17, 07:44 AM
Here is how I see it; when you create your character you start with maximum HP + con modifier based on the type of Hit Dice your class have. You also one of such HD in a HD pool. When you level up, you role HP based on the HD of the class you've taken (same HD if you continue in the same class, or can be different for a different class), you also add this HP to your HD pool (if you have different HD type, write them separately).

When you short rest, you may spend one or more dice from your HD pool, you roll each dice and add you com modifier to the result of each dice rolled. The total is the number of hit point you regain in this short rest. Durable assure you that you will always regain HP at least equal to twice your Con modifier (minimum 2).
A long rest let you get back spent HD for your HD pool up to half your character level.

I hope my answer combined to all the above will make more clear for you :smallsmile:
yes thank you I get it now , and I will be able to explain it to the rest of the party.

Arkhios
2016-04-17, 01:42 PM
Durable does indeed increase the minimum possible value of one hit die spent to an amount equal to double your Con modifier.
Con 19 and HD: d12 means your "per HD" regain is 8 to 16 hit points. (i.e. not 5 to 16)