PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making Ban from Seven Deadly Sins

Azoth
2016-04-16, 09:57 PM
So a buddy has challenged me to build each of the members of the Seven Deadly Sins from the Manga/Anime of the same name. Most of the characters have been relatively easy to build, but Ban the Fox's Sin of Greed has been giving me a hard time as a lot of his abilities can't be directly translated so well.

I am still looking for a way to mimic his Primal Hunt ability, which is him directly absorbing the strength, agility, and stamina of his foes and adding it to his own.

The other that is killing me is his "Immortality". He can't die from physical wounds or old age. He seems vulnerable to general death effects and anything that messes with his soul.

Those two traits of his are killing me in his design. I thought I found a loophole to the death by damage, but the trick failed because he didn't gain the monster ability "regeneration".

Paizo and Dreamscarred Press are the only allowed sources for the challenge, and I can't custom design a race.

Dromuthra
2016-04-16, 10:16 PM
...and you're not allowed to use 3.5 sources? Man, that's rough. (If you could use 3.5, then there's a lovely little feat called Troll-Blooded which grants Regeneration 1 at level 1). If you can get ignore damage, and just need the limb healing, a Ring of Regeneration or a Cracked Pearly White Spindle Ioun Stone can help fake having regeneration.

If you can take more 3.5 sources, the Unseelie Fey Template (cheesy, I know) can take the Winter Fey template to impose a penalty on saves of others equal to your Cha mod within 5 ft, which might simulate making opponents weaker. Not sure about something that straight-up steals abilities though. DSP has some Cursed Razor maneuvers that steal or copy spell-like abilities I think?

Azoth
2016-04-16, 10:45 PM
I had planned on using an imbedded Cracked pearly white spindle and Deathless Initiate to simulate his undying nature, but alas it doesn't give the monster ability "Regeneration" but functions as the spell Regeneration...just healing much less slowly.

Primal Hunt doesn't directly steal abilities. To represent it mechanically it would need to be an aura the either directly decreased enemy stats or lowered their to hit/damage/AC/Saves while increasing his own values. Closest I have found is the spell Steal Size, and that doesn't really cut it.

*edit* Considering going Harbiger with the Crimson Countess Archetype. Comboing the Vitae bonus to hit with Dark Authority giving enemies a penalty to hit to represent Primal Hunt. The longer a fight goes, the more Vitae I can accrue and theoretically the more creatures can be claimed to increase the penalty to hit me.

Tuvarkz
2016-04-17, 02:31 PM
Maybe Strength of my enemy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/strength-of-my-enemy) psionic power to make the "Stealing strength from enemies" part?

Azoth
2016-04-17, 05:43 PM
That could work actually. Now to start back on that whole "not dying from HP damage" thing.

Tuvarkz
2016-04-17, 06:21 PM
That could work actually. Now to start back on that whole "not dying from HP damage" thing.

If you need something akin to immediate health recovery, then you could get the Heart of the Time Lord counter (Riven Hourglass 8, counter, applies the effect of the Heal spell, activatable whenever you're about to be reduced to 0 or less health-uses initiator level in place of caster level).
I guess a Pathwalker Psychic Warrior 5/Awakened Blade 10/Pathwalker PsyWar 5 build would do the job?
Pathwalker doesn't get Riven Hourglass natively, so you'd need to spend a trait on it or go for the martial tradition, however.

Darklameth
2016-06-20, 01:29 PM
I'm sure you've already created all of them I'm looking into them as well, with the introduction of mythic I'd suggest a tier of mythic guardian (return to life to recently deceased for one mythic point) (since ban received his powers from a divine forest/waters of life). I'd honestly suggest full 20 levels of monk of the four winds, especially since ban uses3-4 section staff/nunchaku. It gets you the reincarnate ability as well as few other abilities, if you stick to straight paizo but allow mixing of archetypes then monk gives all of bans abilities & then some.

Side note I'd like to see your ideas on the completed 7 deadly sins if you don't mind posting them.

meschlum
2016-06-20, 04:07 PM
You might consider the consuming creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/consuming-creature-cr-varies) template, which lets you pick up things like Regeneration or other fun monster abilities, and allows you to steal your foe's powers by biting them. It is also rather powerful.