PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Samurai-esque character optimisation.

Hogsy
2016-04-17, 03:19 PM
(Pathfinder & 3.5 allowed) I wish to create a kobold samurai character who's small but jumps around the battlefield dealing lots of damage somewhat like Yoda in Battlefront 2. I'm not fond of the samurai class so I'm going to use another class and call him a samurai in a thematic and roleplaying sense. I want to make him an old guy who's wise but when the time comes he's also extremely powerful and my players kind of think of him as a mentor. Now, besides him being ultra powerful(not too powerful, I obviously want my players to surpass him.) he'll have a student who is pretty much the same character mechanically but in a less-optimised way so he can travel with the players. Besides using a martial class with some feat like Dimensional Dervish or Pounce what other ideas are there for me to research? I don't want to build another character from ToB. Maybe it'd be interesting for him to be a samurai-esque magic user? Like a duskblade or something? Do you guys have any tips for that sort of build but to be way more focused in melee combat and just using some buffs in the magic department besides some situational must-haves? I understand I'm being a little ambiguous here but basically I'm just looking for some ideas first and then mechanical tips. Anything is welcome though. He doesn't even have to use a katana, by the way. I want him to be memorable in a goofy way but I also want my players to actually look up to him and be the first guy they'll go to when they find themselves in a pinch.

EDIT: I would assume Goto is Lvl16 while Togo is Lvl10ish?

http://orig09.deviantart.net/260b/f/2011/349/9/7/kobold_grenadier_by_tghermit-d4j87qj.jpg This is Goto, the mentor.

http://www.eqnforum.com/attachments/kobold-jpg.157/ And this is Togo, his student.

digiman619
2016-04-17, 04:18 PM
You might want to look into the PF Swashbuckler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/swashbuckler), especially the Mouser (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/swashbuckler/archetypes/paizo---swashbuckler-archetypes/mouser) archetype. It has a bunch of alternate deeds that focus on fighting creatures larger than you.

ATHATH
2016-04-17, 04:47 PM
Definitely make Goto a Dragonwrought Kobold. They get to ignore aging penalties (but not bonuses).

Hogsy
2016-04-17, 05:25 PM
You might want to look into the PF Swashbuckler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/swashbuckler), especially the Mouser (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/swashbuckler/archetypes/paizo---swashbuckler-archetypes/mouser) archetype. It has a bunch of alternate deeds that focus on fighting creatures larger than you.

The 1st-level ability of that archetype is so cool! I might use it with some changes to make it more samurai-esque for the student kobold. Perhaps make a hybrid of Mouser and the actual samurai class with a challenge-like deed and perhaps keep the deed that allows the Swashbuckler to put his level in his damage rolls. Thanks!

Hogsy
2016-04-17, 05:26 PM
Definitely make Goto a Dragonwrought Kobold. They get to ignore aging penalties (but not bonuses).

Yeah, that'd be cool to reinforce the whole concept that he's old but is still very physically capable.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-17, 06:03 PM
If you wanna fight like Yoda one of the best classes for that would be Swordsage or Warblade with Tiger Claw Maneuvers.

Windrammer
2016-04-17, 06:25 PM
It sucks but the tome of battle is your best bet for this, as it's hard to get consistent, organic, and flavorful sources of melee damage. Duskblade won't get you much. This would be much easier if it were gestalt... What level do you want this guy at anyways? I'll build it as if it were 20.

In any case, it sounds like Swiftblade is a must as a prestige class for you. It embodies the effects of the Haste spell, and makes it almost like an innate ability of the character.

What I think is best:

Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Swiftblade 3/Kensai 10

Important Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Combat Expertise, Weapon Focus, maybe Arcane Strike

Spells of note: Heroics, Wraithstrike, mabe Bladeweave, maybe Stoneskin for tankiness or Know Vulnerabilities to combine with a Metalline enhancement on your weapon for flavor effect. I'd say use your fourth level spell slots on Arcane Strike.

Kensai weapon enhancement suggestions: Collision, Speed, Metalline, maybe something like shocking to make it look cool.

So it’s a given, you’re hasted. Then you cast wraithstrike and make a leap attack pounce charge with power attack 5 or something and make 5 touch attacks for [weapon die]+3d6+[str]+15 damage. Maybe another +5 if you decide to put collision on your weapon, or another attack if you put speed.

Your level 4 spells don’t offer you much for the sake of what you’re going for so you could use that to do an extra 4d6 damage accompanied by a +4 to hit if you expend the slot with Arcane Strike.

Now you don't need to take Kensai that far. You lose a little BAB and you don't gain any caster levels, you just gain the ability to enhance your weapon. In your campaign he could have just paid for enhancement or gotten it as a gift. You could take some more levels of fighter for the feats or maybe just a little tome of battle for all the good stuff. Just like... Moment of Perfect Mind and Wall of Blades and ****/

You could do Barbarian 1/Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Swiftblade 3/Blade Dancer 10. Get a ton of speed and acrobatic ability in addition to FREE temporary weapon enhancements (including speed). This character would generally be running around with 90 ft speed and +30 to acrobatic checks, with a two extra attacks just from Haste and the Speed enhancement.

Additional considerations… Scout, more wizard, less Blade Dancer, more Swiftblade, WARBLADE. Maybe a level of duskblade to enable the use of light armor.

Honestly I think the best you could do for this is like Barbarian 1/Wizard 5/Swiftblade 3/Warblade 11, maybe even lose the Barbarian. Greater Insightful Strike, Ruby Nightmare Blade, Lightning Recovery, Wall of Blades, Moment of Perfect Mind... mmmm

You could also just be a Cleric of Fharlangn with Celerity (+10 speed) and Travel (devotion feat: move as swift action for as many minutes as you burn turn attempts) Divine Power and various other self buffs. This will generally kick the **** out of any standard mundane.

Barbarian 1/Cleric 19. Do the same leap attack charge, do one less attack than the haste build, but have full base attack bonus and +6 str with one spell. Then you get to move again after the charge. And then there's all the insane cleric buff spells. You could still take levels of Blade Dancer or Kensai if you wanted.

Windrammer
2016-04-17, 06:26 PM
If you wanna fight like Yoda one of the best classes for that would be Swordsage or Warblade with Tiger Claw Maneuvers.
Ah, the ol' doesn't-read-the-whole-post-and-still-responds-with-advice. A timeless classic on these boards

Blackhawk748
2016-04-17, 06:32 PM
Ah, the ol' doesn't-read-the-whole-post-and-still-responds-with-advice. A timeless classic on these boards

Oh, there it is, buried in the middle. That is something that needs attention drawn to it because thats really easy to miss.

Demidos
2016-04-17, 06:54 PM
A couple of ideas for builds without magic (discounting items, though VOP could be added to several if you're really trying to show off).

If you want to wow your players, you can do it with just scout and monk (and maybe barbarian if you don't care about alignment or are willing to reflavor a bit).

Monk 2 gives you two feats (customizable via unearthed arcana), wisdom to defense and the ability to use sparring dummy (arms and equipment, i think?) for 10 ft steps.

Cyran Gliding boots give you 10 ft steps (probably should stack with sparring dummy, so you can 5 ft 15 feet if not 20 ft) and boosted move speed.

Anklets of Translocation and Shadow cloak allow you to teleport 10 ft as a swift or an immediate, respectively, to dodge attacks or activate your scout ability.

Barbarian, if you choose to add it, gives you the whirling frenzy variant for an extra attack and extra stats. A retired barbarian who took on the monk lifestyle is rather interesting.

Build 2 (Damage/power focused): Lift the foundations from Jack B Quick by Caelic (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6944.0). If you don't want him to be quite as intimidating, you can give him Vow of Poverty. If you want to boost his versatility, swap out some of the extra attacks for reach (via Willing deformity, abberant blood, inhuman reach, etc) or shape soulmeld/bind vestige. If you want to boost damage you can dip factotum for iajitsu focus and bonuses to trip. You could also run him as a feat rogue instead of a fighter to significantly boost your skill points, then use knowledge devotion to make up for the lower BAB. Would also fit with him being a wise mentor whose fought basically everything in his time.

Hogsy
2016-04-17, 07:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice, guys. I'll be keeping all of it in mind when I create the character and his protege and maybe I'll update you on Goto's lore once it's fully fledged out and how the first meeting with the players went. I'm considering making it a chance meeting and if they do end up meeting he'll be this cheeky war veteran(you'd tell from various scars which have deformed the entirety of the left part of his body.) who the players may even end up fighting him until they realise he's too much and back off. Anyway, thanks once again for coming to my rescue! This is why the name "Pixies in the playground" is such a fitting one. You guys are like fairies who grant wishes.

digiman619
2016-04-17, 09:54 PM
You guys are like fairies who grant wishes. 80% of me is really touched that you said that. 5% of me is pondering about the phrase, as wish-granting wasn't a huge part of their portfolio, and the remaining 15% is desperate to tell you not to take gifts (ESPECIALLY magical ones) from faeries. Those tend to be far more costly than you realize.

Blackhawk748
2016-04-17, 10:10 PM
80% of me is really touched that you said that. 5% of me is pondering about the phrase, as wish-granting wasn't a huge part of their portfolio, and the remaining 15% is desperate to tell you not to take gifts (ESPECIALLY magical ones) from faeries. Those tend to be far more costly than you realize.

If you flip the first and third numbers you have my reaction. DO NOT TAKE GIFTS FROM FEY! It will always end poorly. :smallwink:

Hiro Protagonest
2016-04-18, 12:07 AM
80% of me is really touched that you said that. 5% of me is pondering about the phrase, as wish-granting wasn't a huge part of their portfolio, and the remaining 15% is desperate to tell you not to take gifts (ESPECIALLY magical ones) from faeries. Those tend to be far more costly than you realize.

This post is a perfect example of this message board.

mabriss lethe
2016-04-18, 03:50 PM
I'd be tempted to make him at least Factotum 8/whatever 12. Or just factotum 20. Cunning Surge is pretty sweet and you could cherry pick some appropriately yoda-esque spells. psionics would also be a good choice for wholesale action economy manipulation. He could be a tiny king of smack.