PDA

View Full Version : Variant Human Sorcerer question.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-17, 07:27 PM
Would you consider it overly cheesy to grab Elemental Adept with the Variant Human's free feat for a Dragon or Stormborn Sorcerer? I'm asking because, in my infinite character creation of never played character process, I am drawing up a Human (for a change,) Dragon Sorcerer.

With the way the stats were laid out, I'd start with 16 CHA, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 10 STR and 8 WIS, and since Sorcerers actually start with CON Proficiency, I wouldn't have to worry about Resilience CON at all. I was planning on grabbing the Tough feat with one of my ASIs, essentially turning my hit die from a d6 to a d8 (kinda like how old Dragon Disciples got an increased hit die,) and Elemental Adept for Fire with my free feat. But I'm worried starting with that would come off as a little too cheesy, and if I should swap the feats around instead.

Thoughts?

Naanomi
2016-04-17, 07:49 PM
Best use of a Vhuman Sorc feat by far, can't imagine how taking an effective feat comes across as cheesy

smcmike
2016-04-17, 07:50 PM
Isn't this what the feat was designed for?

Pex
2016-04-17, 08:00 PM
What's "cheesy"? Player characters are allowed to be "powerful", and spending a "feat tax" so that your favorite element can ignore resistance is not OMG the PC just won D&D how dare a player have such power. Alternatively, take War Caster to have advantage to go along with your proficiency in Con and have fun using concentration spells. Twin them for extra juiciness. When you happen to face a creature who is resistant to your favorite element, instead of weeping just cast a different spell including and perhaps especially if it's a cantrip. If you face a creature where all your attack cantrips are no good then you're in a battle where you're supposed to be using your main spells, such as twinning concentration spells. If every combat you're in results in your favorite element being no good, tell your DM to knock it off or get a new DM.

SharkForce
2016-04-17, 08:53 PM
i'm curious as to what exactly you think the feat is intended for if you think the intent might not be to allow for a spellcaster focused on a single element.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-17, 08:56 PM
It's mostly about using it straight from level one, where pretty much no-other can simply ignore resistances. I've nothing wrong with the feat, I'm just wondering if I should swap it with Tough so I don't have such an advantage when compared to other characters.

RickAllison
2016-04-17, 09:07 PM
It's mostly about using it straight from level one, where pretty much no-other can simply ignore resistances. I've nothing wrong with the feat, I'm just wondering if I should swap it with Tough so I don't have such an advantage when compared to other characters.

You are absolutely fine. Go for it. Other races get plenty of nice perks.

SharkForce
2016-04-17, 11:29 PM
not many enemies at level 1 will *have* elemental resistances anyways. but yeah, it's fine. it isn't really an overpowered feat or anything - really you're just going to be able to do the amount of damage you should be expected to do, anyways.