PDA

View Full Version : So Our Orc Got a Tiefling Pregnant...

Penelomeeg
2016-04-17, 09:16 PM
So our 3/4 Orc party member visited a small village with the rest of the party and saved it from a cult of child kidnapping necromancers. A local tiefling woman became enamored with him after he protected her from cultists in an encounter and after retrieving the missing children. Naturally he pursued this avenue. I actually asked him if he used protection and used a percentage roll and it came up pregnant.

My question is gestation period wise and aging wise, should this child be treated like a half orc or regular human/tiefling aging?

Side note: Not important to the question but a fun factoid, our death cleric has received a vision from his goddess (Wee-Jas) that the child is destined to be her champion and imbued a gem with her energy to give to the child and plans to take her as his apprentice someday.

Âmesang
2016-04-17, 09:26 PM
My first thought was to stat it out as a half-orc with the fiendish template. Not half-fiend, mind you, but the template typically used for non-"regular fiend" denizens of the lower planes (fiendish wolves, fiendish bears, fiendish squirrels, etc.).

…also the pedantic in me is going to be irked if it turns out that tiefling isn't of Suel/Suloise human stock, considering that in WORLD OF GREYHAWK® Wee Jas is a prominent deity of their people. :smalltongue: But that's just me.

Geddy2112
2016-04-17, 10:55 PM
I would assume the child would have the chance to get the genetics of either, but only get dominant traits from one. Flip a coin or roll a 50/50. Either they take after their mother, and get tiefling stats with some orc features, or they get half orc stats with some tiefling features.

Depending on the type of tiefling, some of the racial/ability mods might make sense for either outcome, like a bonus to strength or penalty to intelligence/wisdom/charisma.

Mechalich
2016-04-17, 10:58 PM
Fiendish blood dominates. The child is a tiefling. They may look orc-like, but they will be a tiefling statistically.

Bohandas
2016-04-17, 11:20 PM
For aging, go with tiefling

For stats, orc or half-orc with fiendish bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm)

Segev
2016-04-17, 11:48 PM
I'd use either a half-orc or tiefling, personally. Recall that tieflings are "just" humans that, out of nowhere, manifest some long-hidden fiendish ancestry. So human parents have a tiefling kid. It stands to reason taht a tiefling would just have human offspring, by default.

goto124
2016-04-18, 12:54 AM
Side note: Not important to the question but a fun factoid, our death cleric has received a vision from his goddess (Wee-Jas) that the child is destined to be her champion and imbued a gem with her energy to give to the child and plans to take her as his apprentice someday.

That child's a Favored Soul?

I wonder what Wee-Jas would do about the tiefling ancestry.

Anonymouswizard
2016-04-18, 02:12 AM
Okay, this is bad biology, but looking at the 'percentage race' of the parents, assuming old style tieflings and that she's a first generation tieflings we get:

100% human
75% orc
25% fiend

Now, for the kid I can see the following possibilities (sticking to quartets only):
75% human/25% orc
50% human/50% orc
50% human/25% orc/25% fiend

Based on this I'd suggest half-orc with some fiendish traits. Of course, this won't work with 4e/5e tieflings.

Regitnui
2016-04-18, 02:29 AM
Based on this I'd suggest half-orc with some fiendish traits. Of course, this won't work with 4e/5e tieflings.

In that case, j recommend looking at some of the tiefling variants in the SCAG and applying a few cosmetic changes to the standard half-orc. Maybe wings, if you can figure out what racial feature to drop.

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-04-18, 07:48 AM
So our 3/4 Orc party member visited a small village with the rest of the party and saved it from a cult of child kidnapping necromancers. A local tiefling woman became enamored with him after he protected her from cultists in an encounter and after retrieving the missing children. Naturally he pursued this avenue. I actually asked him if he used protection and used a percentage roll and it came up pregnant.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me8tavNhO71qi4nyc.png

I don't even know anymore. Should I be shocked that games get this weird? Should I be shocked that my games don't get this weird? I have so many conflicting emotions. Few of them good.

Anonymouswizard
2016-04-18, 08:14 AM
http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me8tavNhO71qi4nyc.png

I don't even know anymore. Should I be shocked that games get this weird? Should I be shocked that my games don't get this weird? I have so many conflicting emotions. Few of them good.

Eh, this is fairly low on the weird scale, about a 3 on the 1 to 10 scale (11 is FATAL). I mean, sex never comes up in my actually games, but I've met someone who rolled skill checks to see how good it was, leading to competitive checks with another player (their characters were in a relationship, her husband ran the game). In another group I'm fairly certain it's just being kept away from the table.

I've heard of groups that roleplay the act, and ones where you have to roll several skill checks and then roll another die to determine pregnancy. I'm fairly certain that there's a group out there that randomly determines their character's fetishes.

In general this stuff is rather rare, but it's not unheard of.

Penelomeeg
2016-04-18, 08:16 AM
So there seems to be some favor for the half Orc stats with some Tiefling traits. Since we're doing 5e I'll probably just have a slightly Orcish looking Tiefling.

One thing I can say for certain is that this adventure turned out a lot more weird than I expected. Although this is my first time DM'ing a campaign so maybe I should get used to that.

SirKazum
2016-04-18, 08:23 AM
I'd just like to remind you folks to avoid the unnecessary slaughter of catgirls (is that parlance still in vogue? :smalltongue: ) by not giving too much thought to the biology and genetics of fantasy races that completely ignore biological science most of the time anyway. I wouldn't even expect too much internal consistency in those heredity issues as far as official material is concerned, much less try to apply real-world rules or logic to it.

So, to keep with a fantasy theme and make for an interesting character, I'd agree with the "fiendish blood is strong" rationale and probably go with a tiefling (maybe with a rather orcish look). They're already supposed to be the "mutts" of the multiverse anyway (or maybe that's just my 2E Planescape roots talking, but still). Especially if human parents can have tiefling kids, that means fiendish blood can supersede other heredities even when it's a distant memory, much more so with a direct tiefling parent. Then again, under the same rationale, a half-orc with some sort of fiendish "add-on" (fiendish or half-fiend template, or maybe a bloodline as pointed out above) wouldn't be out of character. I guess it ultimately comes down to what the players involved and DM think would make for a cooler character. Especially if that child is the fulfillment of a prophecy or whatever that is.

Penelomeeg
2016-04-18, 08:29 AM
Eh, this is fairly low on the weird scale, about a 3 on the 1 to 10 scale (11 is FATAL). I mean, sex never comes up in my actually games, but I've met someone who rolled skill checks to see how good it was, leading to competitive checks with another player (their characters were in a relationship, her husband ran the game). In another group I'm fairly certain it's just being kept away from the table.

I've heard of groups that roleplay the act, and ones where you have to roll several skill checks and then roll another die to determine pregnancy. I'm fairly certain that there's a group out there that randomly determines their character's fetishes.

Ha I'd never go quite that far. I just prefer "no details, fade to black" unless it's in the context of a joke. I've found that romantic entanglements can be fun for some people in game and add a certain realistic element to their characters.

We're all pretty mature and don't really have any hang ups about how we handle in character situations I believe. The Orc player has a character whose personal conflict comes from his hedonism (drinking gambling etc.) getting him into trouble frequently. So something like this fits his character pretty well.

It probably also helps keep things from
being awkward that we've all except for one of our players played together in the past, and that it's actually a female DM voicing the female NPCs

johnbragg
2016-04-18, 12:06 PM

Ehh.

The usual reasons taht this is terribad seem absent. Pregnancy isn't being used to punish sexuality and/or roleplaying. Sexuality isn't being used in a demeaning ("Dur hurr, I sexxes da wimmins dur hur") way, either. It's not happening at the expense of roleplaying and plot--it is in fact enhancing roleplaying and plot.

(It also helps a ton that the mother is not an adventuring type, so adventuring-while-pregnant is not a game issue.)

johnbragg
2016-04-18, 12:10 PM
If you just stack the Tiefling and Half-Orc modifiers, you get +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 INT, -4 CHA. Which is not ideal for a Favored Soul. So don't do that.

Inevitability
2016-04-18, 01:19 PM
If you just stack the Tiefling and Half-Orc modifiers, you get +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 INT, -4 CHA. Which is not ideal for a Favored Soul. So don't do that.

OP said they were playing 5e.

But I honestly recommend just worrying about the fluff, not the crunch. The child won't be born for several months: even if the campaign hasn't ended by then years will pass before any kind of mechanical representation for this entity is necessary.

eru001
2016-04-18, 01:27 PM
Ha I'd never go quite that far. I just prefer "no details, fade to black" unless it's in the context of a joke. I've found that romantic entanglements can be fun for some people in game and add a certain realistic element to their characters.

We're all pretty mature and don't really have any hang ups about how we handle in character situations I believe. The Orc player has a character whose personal conflict comes from his hedonism (drinking gambling etc.) getting him into trouble frequently. So something like this fits his character pretty well.

being awkward that we've all except for one of our players played together in the past, and that it's actually a female DM voicing the female NPCs

in the games I've run/played in we generally do the fade to black as well (with exceptions made occasionally for humor) though often we'll have the player(s) involved roll whatever skill checks they feel are appropriate, without going into detail as to how those skills are being used.

you should have seen the look on everyone's faces when one player announced his intent to make three skill checks, Ride, Handle Animal, and Use Rope.

in regards to the question put forwards by the OP, take the gestation period for each, add them together, and divide by two

Anonymouswizard
2016-04-18, 01:41 PM

Eh, it's fine, I put 2 as 'no sex at all'. I feel a game should strive for 3, although I've yet to have a player be interested in in-character sex and relationship stuff (I now plan for a 5e monk who's into wine, and possibly a Taoist Priest instead of the Buddhist monk model, who is also in a steady relationship with a woman in a different [ideally rival] party. After the fade to black I'll give the GM Athletics, Arcana, and Insight checks so they can decide the aftermath).

Psyren
2016-04-18, 01:41 PM
Fiendish blood dominates. The child is a tiefling. They may look orc-like, but they will be a tiefling statistically.

I'd go with this. Mechanically a Tiefling, with jutting lower jaw or something.

dps
2016-04-18, 05:59 PM

But I honestly recommend just worrying about the fluff, not the crunch. The child won't be born for several months: even if the campaign hasn't ended by then years will pass before any kind of mechanical representation for this entity is necessary.

For the most part, I don't disagree with this, but he does need an answer to the gestation period question before then.

Personally, I think I'd go with the tiefling gestation period--after all, it is the mothers body that's nourishing and protected the developing fetus. It's generally not handled that way in fiction, but I think that's mostly so that it's made clear that it's not a normal pregnancy.

Roughishguy86
2016-04-18, 06:36 PM
Hellboy nuff said

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-04-18, 08:52 PM
I dunno. I just can't remember a game where any of this came up. Occasionally some characters (never mine, since I go for the chaste Paladin/Cleric sorts) will go visit some hookers but I don't think anyone at the table was ever really considering the ramifications of it. It's just the attention to what is an odd and insignificant (if johnbragg is to be believed) detail that confuses me.

Âmesang
2016-04-18, 09:11 PM
I recall an early game I played where a similar situation occurred between a female half-elf and a male human; I didn't have to wonder what the offspring was going to be, though. The DM flat out told us.

She was going to have a dryad. :smallconfused: This is why you never roll randomly for offspring…

(In an attempt to rectify it myself it did lead me to create a sort of "Elf Blood" feat that would treat a human as an elf for the purpose of all things "elf." I figured that'd be a bit more sensible.)

Kane0
2016-04-19, 12:24 AM

Our group rolls for appearance. Random npcs get a d10, plus modifiers if appropriate (succubi, angels, etc). PCs get a full table worth of rolls (2d4 for each of head/face, chest, butt, groin, personality, experience/skill) then take the average and add one last 1d4 for the total (1-10 scale of hotness pretty much).

We were very bored when devising said rules.

Anyways i vote coin toss. Heads orc with fiendish traits, tails tiefling with orcish traits

Xuc Xac
2016-04-19, 02:17 AM

Not as much time as you'd think. Orcish and fiendish blood? This kid is going to have serious anger and rebellion issues. Don't worry about the teenage years, because you'll be lucky to survive the "terrible twos".

Anonymouswizard
2016-04-19, 04:39 AM
I recall an early game I played where a similar situation occurred between a female half-elf and a male human; I didn't have to wonder what the offspring was going to be, though. The DM flat out told us.

She was going to have a dryad. :smallconfused: This is why you never roll randomly for offspring…

(In an attempt to rectify it myself it did lead me to create a sort of "Elf Blood" feat that would treat a human as an elf for the purpose of all things "elf." I figured that'd be a bit more sensible.)

You see, this is why I don't have PC species be cross-fertile! It saves on a lot of weirdness.

Our group rolls for appearance. Random npcs get a d10, plus modifiers if appropriate (succubi, angels, etc). PCs get a full table worth of rolls (2d4 for each of head/face, chest, butt, groin, personality, experience/skill) then take the average and add one last 1d4 for the total (1-10 scale of hotness pretty much).

Okay, yeah, that's a bit weird, but then again it's your group so do what you want.

Morty
2016-04-19, 08:33 AM
Given that it's 5e, and thus doesn't have the myriad templates and other such rules 3e has, I'll agree with those saying the child should be a half-orc or tiefling rules-wise, with descriptive traits from the "other half".

johnbragg
2016-04-19, 08:47 AM
I dunno. I just can't remember a game where any of this came up. Occasionally some characters (never mine, since I go for the chaste Paladin/Cleric sorts) will go visit some hookers but I don't think anyone at the table was ever really considering the ramifications of it. It's just the attention to what is an odd and insignificant (if johnbragg is to be believed) detail that confuses me.

I must have been unclear. I didn't mean "Ehh." that this is insignificant, I meant "Ehh, this is not icky, this is not unfun or creepy." Usually, we are wise to keep sex and its consequences out of or minimized in our elfgames because we are bad at it, as people.

Usual pitfalls.
1. Real-world consequences of sex are used to punish players for roleplaying sex.
2. Players roleplay similar levels of ethics to sex that they do to murderhoboing, and womanizing/solitication of prostitution is not as widely accepted at the table as murderhoboing. (Paying the barmaid 2 cp for a lay is not "part of the game." PRomising her 2 cp for a lay and then murdering her in the alleyway for the 7 sp in her purse, somehow is. Doing both is *RIGHT OUT*.)
3. PCs fall in luuurve. This is most often done badly by IRL couples, in ways that irritate the rest of the table. Secondary pitfall, IRL couple stops being a couple, and their PCs stop or don't, either way it's awful for the game.

None of these things are happening here. The tiefling offering her charms to the halforc who saved her and the children of her town? Not creepy. The NPC non-adventurer getting pregnant? Well, it's a non-adventuring NPC. The PC and named NPC being the parents of the Chosen One of Wee Jas? Awesome.

As for the mechanics of tiefling/halforc crossbreed gestation periods, I'd say the base genetics are completely overridden by "Chosen One of Wee Jas."

goto124
2016-04-19, 09:40 AM
(Paying the barmaid 2 cp for a lay is not "part of the game." PRomising her 2 cp for a lay and then murdering her in the alleyway for the 7 sp in her purse, somehow is. Doing both is *RIGHT OUT*.)

I think I know what my next campaign will be :smalltongue:

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-19, 10:10 AM

My question is gestation period wise and aging wise, should this child be treated like a half orc or regular human/tiefling aging?

I saw stuff about half-fiends, but for something as a statblock and even aging it would be important to ask. What edition ?

johnbragg
2016-04-19, 11:21 AM
I saw stuff about half-fiends, but for something as a statblock and even aging it would be important to ask. What edition ?

OP said 5th. (I missed it before.)

Penelomeeg
2016-04-20, 09:04 AM

Well the gestation period was fairly significant due to certain events I have planned will involve the characters being involved in a several months long expedition. I needed to know if the kid would be born before they got back potentially because half orcs age faster than humans.

As for race specifications it was pretty much for the same reason. There's a time skip even VERY far down the line in the current story "arc" their at and I wanted to know if the child should mature by half Orc or Tiefling aging standards. And for cosmetic reasons of course.

As for the situation being weird I really don't see it as too unusual. I mean Im not sure if it's the races of the parents, or the fact that we had a sexual situation in our game with after effects that is so strange.

The setting is extremely racially integrated and diverse due to canon historical events, so while a Tiefling and an Orc would raise eyebrows, no ones going to get away with chasing that couple out with pitchforks in this setting. They'd likely get some serious discriminatiln from more socially conservative NPCs and just be seen as an "odd couple" by more accepting ones.

As for the sexual aspect and after effect in general, well it's a mostly realistic roleplay heavy campaign. A majority of the party's experience comes from Roleplaying and they usually have at most 2 fights per session and have gone some without any and done skill challenges instead.

This player has made a huge point of making it clear his character is a hedonist who often gets himself in trouble he isn't ready for through his vices. So when I asked if he used protection, I made it pretty clear I was about to play that up. He said no and that he wanted me to roll the dice. It rolled within the right percentile, and I still offered to just hand wave it and let him say never mind if he didn't want to deal with this plot. And warned him this could lead to in game ramifications in the future. (not consequences as I don't punish players for playing their characters). I was very proud of his response.

"I know that out of character, in character I just had a careless one night stand and am blissfully unaware of what lies ahead. I'm not going to meta game."

johnbragg
2016-04-20, 09:45 AM
Well the gestation period was fairly significant due to certain events I have planned will involve the characters being involved in a several months long expedition. I needed to know if the kid would be born before they got back potentially because half orcs age faster than humans.

If the kid is the Chosen One of Wee Jas, I'd say that the gestation period is entirely up to Wee Jas (and therefore up to the DM, and the kid gestates at the Speed of Plot).

As for race specifications it was pretty much for the same reason. There's a time skip even VERY far down the line in the current story "arc" their at and I wanted to know if the child should mature by half Orc or Tiefling aging standards. And for cosmetic reasons of course.
I don't really think there's a wrong arbitrary decision you can make here. In a magical universe with mixed-breed children being a thing that happens with regularity, it's not going to shock anyone that this particular quarter-orc tiefling shows minimal (flip coin) traits, following the standard pattern of a halforc/tiefling. Anyone knowledgable enough to know what a half-orc/tiefling crossbreed "should" do is also going to know enough not to be surprised that this one doesn't.

As for the situation being weird I really don't see it as too unusual. I mean Im not sure if it's the races of the parents, or the fact that we had a sexual situation in our game with after effects that is so strange.

Sadly, what's so strange is that everyone in your group is mature enough to handle it.

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-04-20, 09:58 AM
I mean Im not sure if it's the races of the parents, or the fact that we had a sexual situation in our game with after effects that is so strange.

I... huh!?

I explained why I think it's weird in the quote that is literally attached to this post.

Let me rephrase, then.

It's an attention to detail that seem rather tertiary and tangential. Like, I might idly mention how my character likes peas but hates pea soup and that he also loves carrots but hates carrot soup but that's just idle dialogue. If we had stopped the game and explored the origin of my character's taste in food and rolled dice to determine it I would probably say to the DM something along the lines of "So you have nothing prepared, huh?"

I get that some Tiefling thought he was hot and that his character went and ****ed her in response. I can see all of that coming out quite naturally in the campaign. To me, I'm just envisioning the moment where you roll the dice and then lean over to the player to say "Oh, by the way, that Tiefling is pregnant, just FYI" and that's where I clock out.

Unless I'm missing something and this pays off later, like the bad guy is this half-Orc baby but from the dystopian future. You can use that if you'd like.

johnbragg
2016-04-20, 11:43 AM
Unless I'm missing something and this pays off later, like the bad guy is this half-Orc baby but from the dystopian future. You can use that if you'd like.

ARe you reading the thread? Good guy, bad guy yet to be determined. But the kid is the Chosen One of Wee Jas, according to the OP.

Penelomeeg
2016-04-20, 11:57 AM
I... huh!?

I explained why I think it's weird in the quote that is literally attached to this post.

Let me rephrase, then.

It's an attention to detail that seem rather tertiary and tangential. Like, I might idly mention how my character likes peas but hates pea soup and that he also loves carrots but hates carrot soup but that's just idle dialogue. If we had stopped the game and explored the origin of my character's taste in food and rolled dice to determine it I would probably say to the DM something along the lines of "So you have nothing prepared, huh?"

I get that some Tiefling thought he was hot and that his character went and ****ed her in response. I can see all of that coming out quite naturally in the campaign. To me, I'm just envisioning the moment where you roll the dice and then lean over to the player to say "Oh, by the way, that Tiefling is pregnant, just FYI" and that's where I clock out.

Well for one we didn't really stop the session. It happened right around when we were going to call it a night, and even if it had happened earlier again in character all his character knew was that he had a one night stand, so the entire plotline of what happens with his wont come into play for awhile. And as I said before, I offered multiple chances for him to back out of this plotline, but he decided he wanted to see where it went.

Honestly I encourage for people to have little personal moments and things going on for their characters as individuals as well as the party. For instance our cleric had a respectful religious discussion with an Orc shaman about his beliefs in comparison to the shamans. It in no way related to the plot of their adventure or gave them any insight except to what this man and his people believed. But you bet your stars and garters I gave him inspiration for it.

Another guy is from an isolated society that has a completely different set of social norms. Whenever he sees something he doesn't understand, or hears a word/turn of phrase that is foreign to him he asks someone in character what it is/means and then writes down the answer he was given on his character sheet. However that person explained it to him then becomes his characters perception of its meaning.

Each of my players have little personal conflicts and storylines along with the party storylines because the entire idea of the campaign is that they're characters are people with their own lives and not just part of an adventuring party.

I understand that everyone has different play styles and levels of realism they're willing to go along with, and there's some subjects some groups are more comfortable tackling with others. I think it's a bit of an overreaction to act like it's a foreign concept that things you would never see happening in the games you play would happen in others.

And I did point out previously that the child was given story importance beyond being a PCs child in that another character's chosen deity has marked this future child as their champion.

DJ Yung Crunk
2016-04-20, 12:18 PM
ARe you reading the thread?

Apparently not. I completely missed that.

NeoNinevite
2016-04-21, 02:01 PM
In of the Brimstone Angels books, one of the characters (can't remember who) mentions that the child of a tiefling and any other race is always a tiefling. So I would use the default tiefling stats for the offspring.