PDA

View Full Version : How do I build: "Zin Friesel"? ; )

Lightninlad
2016-04-17, 11:03 PM
Hey guys: just wanted some input here. I want to make a character named Zin Friesel---basically a Riddick knock off.

How would I build him in D&D 5e???

Thoughts?

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 07:25 AM
Hey guys: just wanted some input here. I want to make a character named Zin Friesel---basically a Riddick knock off.

How would I build him in D&D 5e???

Thoughts?

Champion fighter with criminal background (adjusted to include piloting spacecraft). Include a homebrew race with darkvision and a rage-like component that has affinity for any other species with the same rage-like racial feature.

HoarsHalberd
2016-04-18, 07:32 AM
Drow Spell-less ranger or champion fighter (dex) He's brawny and strong, so if optimisation isn't the point of it, strength should be the second highest stat. But Ideally even his lowest stat should be a positive modifier. He's charismatic, he's strong, he's ridiculously endurant, perceptive and intelligent and on top of all that he fights predominantly with dex.

Laereth
2016-04-18, 07:33 AM
Champion fighter with criminal background (adjusted to include piloting spacecraft). Include a homebrew race with darkvision and a rage-like component that has affinity for any other species with the same rage-like racial feature.

I'm away from my books, but maybe a kind of Shifter from UA could emulate the rage ?

Lolzyking
2016-04-18, 07:47 AM
vin diesels plays a witch hunter in 5e....

LordFluffy
2016-04-18, 08:55 AM
I saw someone do this same thing earlier and was suggesting Drow Monk.

Temperjoke
2016-04-18, 09:02 AM

Don't forget animal handling.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/riddick/images/3/39/Riddick_%26_Thrash.png/revision/latest?cb=20140621141546

http://www.awn.com/sites/default/files/styles/inline/public/image/featured/55381-doing-jackals-doggy-style-riddick.jpg?itok=u2TpnGWQ

EDIT: You know, on further consideration, he could be a combat focused rogue, his characters are usually pretty agile, hit-and-run style fighters. Maybe a Thief Rogue multiclass with a Champion Fighter, with a focus on Dex?

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 09:27 AM
Don't forget animal handling.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/riddick/images/3/39/Riddick_%26_Thrash.png/revision/latest?cb=20140621141546

http://www.awn.com/sites/default/files/styles/inline/public/image/featured/55381-doing-jackals-doggy-style-riddick.jpg?itok=u2TpnGWQ

EDIT: You know, on further consideration, he could be a combat focused rogue, his characters are usually pretty agile, hit-and-run style fighters. Maybe a Thief Rogue multiclass with a Champion Fighter, with a focus on Dex?

In the second* Riddick movie, the animals had the shimmer eyes, suggesting they were from the same planet as him. In the third* movie, the animal had the same rage-like component, which is how they bonded. It's not so much that he has animal handling, but rather he had an affinity towards animals that have the same component of rage that he does. Now, I'm not saying that he couldn't have a skill in animal handling, but in both those films his connection towards the animals was expressed as an inborn connection between them (suggesting he's more animal-like than human), and not as a trained skill.

*Could be the third and fourth movie if you consider the one hour animated sequel after Pitch Black to be its own movie. Most don't.

Temperjoke
2016-04-18, 09:30 AM
In the second* Riddick movie, the animals had the shimmer eyes, suggesting they were from the same planet as him. In the third* movie, the animal had the same rage-like component, which is how they bonded. It's not so much that he has animal handling, but rather he had an affinity towards animals that have the same component of rage that he does. Now, I'm not saying that he couldn't have a skill in animal handling, but in both those films his connection towards the animals was expressed as an inborn connection between them (suggesting he's more animal-like than human), and not as a trained skill.

*Could be the third and fourth movie if you consider the one hour animated sequel after Pitch Black to be its own movie. Most don't.

Well, the jackal he raised from a puppy, which that sort of animal care is often expressed as animal handling in game. So instead of homebrewing something special, why not just change the DC for making friends with that sort of predator animal for him?

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 09:42 AM
Well, the jackal he raised from a puppy, which that sort of animal care is often expressed as animal handling in game. So instead of homebrewing something special, why not just change the DC for making friends with that sort of predator animal for him?

That's perfectly fair. And besides, it's not like it's difficult to just give him an extra skill. :)

I like your rogue idea, but I'm still really partial to the champion, if only for the idea that he is capable of doing some amazing feats of physical performance, and to me that screams Remarkable Athlete. However, a bit of multiclass between the Champion and a Rogue may work out rather nicely.

One thing is for certain, though - he has high stats all around.

Joe the Rat
2016-04-18, 09:45 AM
Are we following form or function?

The Shine on the eyes isn't a racial trait - that's something he had done when he was in a prison without light (unless they changed that in the 3rd movie). Which would suggest a little trip down Warlock Lane.

Drow Monk and/or dexy champ fighter or Monk/Battlemaster... with Tavern Brawler would cover the darkvision AND the light sensitivity AND being badass with a teacup.

And Vin would be quite happy if you could work a little Assassin in to the Drow build, for personal reasons.

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 09:53 AM
Are we following form or function?

The Shine on the eyes isn't a racial trait - that's something he had done when he was in a prison without light (unless they changed that in the 3rd movie). Which would suggest a little trip down Warlock Lane.

Drow Monk and/or dexy champ fighter or Monk/Battlemaster... with Tavern Brawler would cover the darkvision AND the light sensitivity AND being badass with a teacup.

And Vin would be quite happy if you could work a little Assassin in to the Drow build, for personal reasons.

The story of how he got his eyes shined was changed in Chronicles of Riddick, when it was shown that he's a Furian. It's the same reason both those animals in the prison has shinny eyes - they were from the same planet as him (and that's why he connected with them; they shared the fury).

I know they kept it in the first video game as part of his story (Escape from Butcher Bay), but it was basically retconned that in Pitch Black it was him just telling the "boy" a story to scare him. We can basically think of Escape from Butcher Bay as the story he told - because it's not entirely the truth.

gfishfunk
2016-04-18, 10:05 AM
Key requirements:

- Darkvision
- Expert Stealth
- Tough

I would suggest a high strength Rogue, maybe a Half-Orc Rogue. A dex based rogue would work, but I don't think it would be as accurate.

Joe the Rat
2016-04-18, 11:17 AM
The story of how he got his eyes shined was changed in Chronicles of Riddick, when it was shown that he's a Furian. It's the same reason both those animals in the prison has shinny eyes - they were from the same planet as him (and that's why he connected with them; they shared the fury).

I know they kept it in the first video game as part of his story (Escape from Butcher Bay), but it was basically retconned that in Pitch Black it was him just telling the "boy" a story to scare him. We can basically think of Escape from Butcher Bay as the story he told - because it's not entirely the truth.

Hmm. I didn't remember there being a shine on the Furian Necromonger.

Stupid Unreliable Narrator Retcons.

EvilAnagram
2016-04-18, 11:27 AM
Riddick is based off of a Drow Rogue he used to play, isn't he?

So, Drow Rogue.

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 11:28 AM
Hmm. I didn't remember there being a shine on the Furian Necromonger.

Stupid Unreliable Narrator Retcons.

The major change notification was when Jack (now an adult and a killer herself) met up with Riddick in the prison from the second movie, and she said that she searched every prison she could and not one of them even heard of a doctor who could shine her eyes.

Since I also don't remember the necromonger having shined eyes, I looked it up. According to wiki, only the Alpha-Furians had shined eyes. Which is kind of lame, since there must now be an "alpha" subspecies for various species on that planet, as that's how they explained his affinity towards those two beasts in the movie.

There are a lot of contradictions with that series. Still, it's probably my favorite scifi series.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-18, 11:29 AM

Shifter refluffed maybe? (as race)

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 11:36 AM
Riddick is based off of a Drow Rogue he used to play, isn't he?

So, Drow Rogue.

I thought Witch Hunter was based off his D&D character. I could be wrong and it would be cool to know if Riddick really was based off a D&D character.

Joe the Rat
2016-04-18, 11:50 AM
The major change notification was when Jack (now an adult and a killer herself) met up with Riddick in the prison from the second movie, and she said that she searched every prison she could and not one of them even heard of a doctor who could shine her eyes.

Since I also don't remember the necromonger having shined eyes, I looked it up. According to wiki, only the Alpha-Furians had shined eyes. Which is kind of lame, since there must now be an "alpha" subspecies for various species on that planet, as that's how they explained his affinity towards those two beasts in the movie.

There are a lot of contradictions with that series. Still, it's probably my favorite scifi series.
I've seen worse voodoo sharks than having an alpha subspecies - which is like a noble bloodline having actual special traits rather than lucky ancestors. Aragorn vs. Boromir.

But in this case, Drow is a really good choice for race. Or maybe SCAG Half-elf variant, and to hell with sunlight sensitivity?

I thought Witch Hunter was based off his D&D character. I could be wrong and it would be cool to know if Riddick really was based off a D&D character.
He played a character class based off a film character based off a character? Oy.
There's a fair amount of "1e Drow Assassin" to Riddick. I can see it.

Temperjoke
2016-04-18, 11:52 AM
I've seen worse voodoo sharks than having an alpha subspecies - which is like a noble bloodline having actual special traits rather than lucky ancestors. Aragorn vs. Boromir.

But in this case, Drow is a really good choice for race. Or maybe SCAG Half-elf variant, and to hell with sunlight sensitivity?

He played a character class based off a film character based off a character? Oy.
There's a fair amount of "1e Drow Assassin" to Riddick. I can see it.

It was a promotional thing for the movie. They had a D&D game with a homebrew Witch Hunter that he played. Since then, the class has been modified and revamped to be more in line with 5e, called "Blood Hunter".

https://youtu.be/yLEMb_RIZ3o

EvilAnagram
2016-04-18, 11:59 AM
The actual character he used to play was a 1e or 2e half-drow witch hunter named Melkor. Incidentally, his character is Triple X had "Melkor" tattooed across his stomach.

I know for a fact that he drew on Melkor when he was developing Riddick, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he made his latest movie with Melkor in mind. He is one of the most genuine, enthusiastic filmmakers in the business, and his love of D&D and Tolkien is pretty obvious.

Temperjoke
2016-04-18, 12:06 PM
The actual character he used to play was a 1e or 2e half-drow witch hunter named Melkor. Incidentally, his character is Triple X had "Melkor" tattooed across his stomach.

I know for a fact that he drew on Melkor when he was developing Riddick, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he made his latest movie with Melkor in mind. He is one of the most genuine, enthusiastic filmmakers in the business, and his love of D&D and Tolkien is pretty obvious.

Interesting! I knew he's always been big into D&D, but I didn't realize how much he had tied his love of it into his movie work.

mgshamster
2016-04-18, 12:22 PM

Can you provide a link? My internet connection is acting up and it's difficult to search quickly.

So far, the only things I've found is some interviews that says the company that made the Riddick games also makes a game called Melkor, that his XXX character had Melkor tattooed on him, that it was Vin Diesel's old D&D character, and that he has a movie coming up (the interviews were before Witch Hunter) that was based off a D&D character.

But I can't find anything that specifically states that Riddick was based off a character of his. You're probably right, and it does seem to have some influence, I'm just having issues looking it up right now.

EvilAnagram
2016-04-18, 06:48 PM
You know what, I can't find the site that reported that. It might be a rumor.