PDA

View Full Version : The way fabricated is worded... Ignore Material components + fabricate = GOD?

RoboEmperor
2016-04-17, 11:10 PM
The way fabricated is worded, it says the MATERIAL COMPONENT is the original material which costs the same as the raw materials for the item to be crafted. Does this mean if I grab the epic feat Ignore Material Components, I can use fabricate to craft thousands of cubic feat of diamonds out of thin air?

On one hand it says target: up to 10 cubic feat/caster level.
On the other hand, it lists the what I assume is the target of the spell as material components.

Actually, does Fabricate require you to buy raw materials twice? One set of raw materials to target with fabricate, and a second set to burn with arcane magical energy?

Kuu Lightwing
2016-04-18, 12:27 AM
Things also get interesting if you are a Psion (Shaper). Because they can get Fabricate, Psionic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fabricatePsionic.htm) at level 7 and psionic powers do not have any components, including material. So, you can start making stuff from thin air as early as level 7.

DrMartin
2016-04-18, 12:51 AM
In my opinion you still need the original material to begin with, since your spell needs a target.

the way the spell is written you actually do need two sets of base materials, because material components are consumed by the casting, and the spell does not create anything (it's transmutation). But i assume is just one more example of confusing writing and that the intentions are quite clear.

Assuming this is the case (the material component gets transmuted, and not consumed), I guess that Ignore Material Component would allow you to circumvent the limitations on material components, so for instance you could use the products of major/minor creation as base for your fabricate.

Jowgen
2016-04-18, 01:47 AM
I do not believe targeting is an issue. 10 cu ft/level is a measure of volume, the targeting line doesn't specify that it actually needs to target a volume of the raw material (components). The only impact of the "see text" part is the stipulation about reduced volume when dealing with minerals.

As intended, its actually a bit dysfunctional. Material Components need to be on hand, so a range of close is pointless. It should be touch, since the raw material can't be used as a material component unless touched.

On a more practical level, this trick would also work on the low end, with the lowly Eschew Materials. Sure, you'd be limited to things that cost 3 gp or less, which ain't much, but it's something.

The Insanity
2016-04-18, 05:13 AM
If you can take Ignore Material Components you're already a god.

Âmesang
2016-04-18, 06:44 AM
On a more practical level, this trick would also work on the low end, with the lowly Eschew Materials. Sure, you'd be limited to things that cost 3 gp or less, which ain't much, but it's something.
Take 1 gp worth of raw gold ore and fabricate 3 gp out of 'em? Except with Eschew Materials you wouldn't actually need the ore, so just… three, free gold pieces? Though I'm not sure if that'd be per round or per casting or what. Guess it's an interesting (not necessarily economical) way of burning off unused spell slots at the end of the day.

Also I imagine the close range as being like… have you ever watched Gumby? Like there's a big, pile of lumber not too far from you and it starts levitating through the air, forming itself into a bridge. Not even levitating, really, more like a very minor teleport.

RoboEmperor
2016-04-18, 06:52 AM
Interesting... You could use eschew materials to fabricate body parts of creatures for simulacrum and ice assassin!

ace rooster
2016-04-18, 07:06 AM
This doesn't get around the limitations of fabricate*, and runs into your creations not being loot avoiding infinite wealth tricks**, so is not broken at the level you get IMC. If you are not living in a tower made of gold at that point you are probably doing it wrong. :smallcool: Good for getting stuff like diamond dust, because you can fabricate a crappy diamond statue, PAO it into something easier to powder, and then let it revert.

* fabricate is limited to one material, so no spears never mind more complicated items. It also only has provision for one craft check, while masterworks need two, so no masterwork items, which mean no items that can be made magical, or anything made of adamantine, as they explicitly all masterwork. No forgery check, so not making coins either.

** There are rules for selling loot, but no rules for selling anything else. If you didn't loot it, you can't sell it without roleplaying. Even raw gold is only "commonly" able to be traded, so a DM would be well within their rights to have merchants say no.

Zancloufer
2016-04-18, 11:48 AM
Well, sure why not. Logically fabricate effects the material components as it is a transmutation that allows you to craft stuff. Your level 21+ and took an epic casting feat. Still less broken than the custom epic spells you can make. I mean if you allow a level 21+ spell caster to exist and they take ignore material components INSTEAD of Epic Spellcasting?

Take 1 gp worth of raw gold ore and fabricate 3 gp out of 'em? Except with Eschew Materials you wouldn't actually need the ore, so just… three, free gold pieces? Though I'm not sure if that'd be per round or per casting or what. Guess it's an interesting (not necessarily economical) way of burning off unused spell slots at the end of the day.

How would you fabricate 1/3rd of an ounce of gold into 3 gold coins that weight an ounce? Actually since you are taking gold ORE if anything you woudl get less gold from it. It's worth noting that Gold, Silver, Platinum and Copper are all worth their weight in GP. IE 1 pound of gold coins costs the same as 1 pound of gold.