PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New fighting styles for a modern game

Gfrobbin84
2016-04-18, 03:33 AM
So I'm getting ready to run a modern 5e game and decided I needed some new fighting styles to go with it.

Close Quarter Combat: While using short arms (pistels, revovlers, sub-machine guns) you have advantage on attacks made within 15 feet of their target.

Marksmanship: While using long arms(all forms of rifles) you get +1 to your attack rolls.

Throwing: When making thrown attacks the ranges of your thrown weapons are doubled and you get +1 to your attack rolls.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2016-04-18, 07:47 AM
Close Quarter Combat: While using short arms (pistels, revovlers, sub-machine guns) you have advantage on attacks made within 15 feet of their target.

So much better than the others that it's not even funny, and super overpowered on Rogues, who can now get Sneak Attack with 100% reliability and no need to be in melee.

The others equate to a +1 bonus. This one equates to about a +4-+5 bonus and double crit chance.

Gfrobbin84
2016-04-18, 08:05 AM
Hmm well I wanted them to be able to use pistels and what not in melee with out disadvantage but it feels weird giving a ranged weapon style a benefit that only works in melee range.

BRKNdevil
2016-04-18, 08:12 AM
Why not take inspiration from where u probably got the term and make it so that short arms are treated as clubs while in melee, shooting while in melee doesn't incur a disadvantage, and u can use athletics for grappling while both hands are filled?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-18, 08:13 AM
Hmm well I wanted them to be able to use pistels and what not in melee with out disadvantage but it feels weird giving a ranged weapon style a benefit that only works in melee range.

"You do not have disadvantage when firing one-handed firearms at targets within 5 feet of you" should be acceptable as a fighting style. It's a significant bonus, but unlikely to come up very often and it doesn't offer rogues an easy SA exploit.

Why not take inspiration from where u probably got the term and make it so that short arms are treated as clubs while in melee, shooting while in melee doesn't incur a disadvantage, and u can use athletics for grappling while both hands are filled?

That sounds more like a feat, not a fighting style.