PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Preferred Party For Curse Of Strahd?

newsman77
2016-04-18, 07:16 AM
We're getting ready to run Curse of Strahd. I'm pretty dead set on a Paladin for this run, as it's quickly becoming my favorite class in 5e. The level 6 ability alone (+CHA to saves) is great, plus you get smite, fighting style, heals & heavy armor. The only thing I'm torn on is the path at this point.

Knowing that you had a paladin in the group, and had to fill 4 other slots, what classes would you take with you?

Toadkiller
2016-04-18, 08:38 AM
Whatever people wanted to play?

More seriously, a tough person, a sneaky person, a caster or more than one of various types and a weird concept that one player "really wants to try" seems to be about typical for any campaign.

Gastronomie
2016-04-18, 09:30 AM
Whatever people wanted to play?

More seriously, a tough person, a sneaky person, a caster or more than one of various types and a weird concept that one player "really wants to try" seems to be about typical for any campaign.This, really. It's the DM's job to create encounters and sessions in which each PC can unlock his unique abilities' hidden potential, so the players don't really need to worry about what class they should take unless it becomes, say, 5 Bards in a dungeon crawl, or 5 Barbarians in a political turmoil campaign.

pwykersotz
2016-04-18, 10:21 AM
The only class in the game that I think the module would be diminished without would be a Cleric. Other than that, it's whatever you prefer. My group will probably opt to run a Cleric, Paladin, Bard, Ranger, Monk. I don't yet know their subclasses.

JoeJ
2016-04-18, 01:53 PM
This, really. It's the DM's job to create encounters and sessions in which each PC can unlock his unique abilities' hidden potential, so the players don't really need to worry about what class they should take unless it becomes, say, 5 Bards in a dungeon crawl, or 5 Barbarians in a political turmoil campaign.

Actually 5 barbarians in a political campaign could be fantastic. Make it about the struggle to unify the tribes into a single barbarian nation.

CaptAl
2016-04-18, 05:18 PM
We're getting ready to run Curse of Strahd. I'm pretty dead set on a Paladin for this run, as it's quickly becoming my favorite class in 5e. The level 6 ability alone (+CHA to saves) is great, plus you get smite, fighting style, heals & heavy armor. The only thing I'm torn on is the path at this point.

Knowing that you had a paladin in the group, and had to fill 4 other slots, what classes would you take with you?

My current AL group for CoS is a Dwarven Ancients Paladin, an Undying Tome Lock, Half-Orc two weapon melee Ranger, Halfling AT crossbow Rogue, and a V. Human Life Cleric of Lathander (my character). Pretty well rounded group. If I could change one character I'd swap the ranger for a Wizard or a Bard, but that's just my preference.

Roughishguy86
2016-04-18, 05:39 PM
Running this soon with one of the kids that occasionally dm's for our group. He always has a tendency to play the game like its him versus us. So my particular group is running 2 dragonborn ancient paladins, 1 tiefling lock, A dwarven Life cleric and a bladesinger.