PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I believe I can *not* fly

noce
2016-04-18, 09:47 AM
Hi to everyone :)

I'm playing an earth dwarf fighter-ish, currently level 11.
The fact is, my character refuses to fly at all costs, he even tries to save when his fellow sorcerer casts fly on him.
This idiosyncrasy for leaving the ground is reflected in his choices, his equipment and other little things.

Now, we all know that by level 11 a character should be able to bring fight to airborne creatures, but what I'm looking for is a way to force them land.
The net could do this with a ranged touch attack (my strength check is good), but its maximum range is 10ft.
Another similar weapon is the harpoon (30ft max range), but my attack bonus would be +5 approximately, too low to be effective.
I also know about Earthbind, Wingbind and Downdraft, but I cannot cast any spell.
I tried to look for magic items, but found nothing.

Also, I would like to be self-sufficient in a battle against a flying creature, so I don't consider other players' help sufficient. Last time we played, there was a tournament, and I lost the final encounter against a fly-potion drinking rogue.

So, do you have any advice on what I could do with the restrictions I'm imposing myself? :)

EDIT: don't know if it can help, but I'm a skilled tripper.
We use everything official except Dragon Compendium.

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 10:31 AM
Bloodstorm Blade from Tome of Battle allows you to utilize your melee skills while at range. An Emerald Razor maneuver combined with some daze/knock-down ability would be quite effective at dropping flying creatures.

Falcon X
2016-04-18, 10:32 AM
Undeniable Gravity spell from the miniature's handbook could be acquired somehow: http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/miniatures-handbook--75/undeniable-gravity--2003/

I can tell you guys don't do homebrew, but you could also checkout this Gravity Warrior (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gravity_Warrior_(3.5e_Class)), and perhaps make some of it's abilities into magic items.

[edit] You could also use bolas (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bolas) as a weapon. I'm not sure how ranged trip attacks work, but if you are built for tripping, this might be the way to go.

Jormengand
2016-04-18, 11:38 AM
Psst! You shouldn't link to D&D tools or clones of it!

Anyway, to refer to the question, ranged weapons are the obvious way. Composite energy bows might be helpful to rack up lots of damage.

noce
2016-04-18, 12:11 PM
Anyway, to refer to the question, ranged weapons are the obvious way. Composite energy bows might be helpful to rack up lots of damage.

Yeah, but I've no full bab, 10 dex and the shaky flaw. The only weapons able to bring to the ground a flying creature are exotic, for another -4, resulting in an attack bonus of +3/-2 for a full attack...

I do not want to damage them at range, I'd like to bring them to me.

Starbuck_II
2016-04-18, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but I've no full bab, 10 dex and the shaky flaw. The only weapons able to bring to the ground a flying creature are exotic, for another -4, resulting in an attack bonus of +3/-2 for a full attack...

I do not want to damage them at range, I'd like to bring them to me.

Then you want Bolas. They are a ranged trip. When you successfully trip a flying creature unless it can hover (like hover feat or perfect flight maneuverability), it is stalled and falls.

Why did you take Shaky if you didn't like flying? That seems like a bad plan.

Another idea: Get really awesome jumping skills. Then you can at least hit low flyingers (up to 10-60 ft high) with one attack.

ericgrau
2016-04-18, 12:42 PM
[edit] You could also use bolas (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Bolas) as a weapon. I'm not sure how ranged trip attacks work, but if you are built for tripping, this might be the way to go.
Ranged touch attack, 10' range increment, -4 if non-proficient (which could be an option for a touch attack), opposed trip check. Flying creatures that cannot hover fall if tripped. But I think most magical flight lets you hover so at level 11 he needs more oomph than this.

Good flight maneuverability lets you hover too. Average does not let you hover.

Earthbind&wingbind have saves
Downdraft eats an action and then the opponent can use his turn to get airborne again.
A range boosted net might be nice, but unless it's heavy enough it merely holds the foe in place until you pull him in, it doesn't plummet him to the ground.

I think ranged weapon might be the most reliable way. You have plenty of damage with your strength, try to boost your attack bonus with GMW, lesser bracers of archery, boots of speed, etc. I think 24 hour buffs are acceptable help, or if not then buy something for the caster. Perhaps a lesser rod of extend spell that helps with both GMW and his own spells. The standard suggestion is a level 3 pearl of power, but honestly at level 11 his lower level spell slots aren't worth 9,000 gp to him; he could get more use out of another magic item.

torrasque666
2016-04-18, 12:51 PM
Might I suggest a Glove of Infinite Javelins and the Brutal Throw feat? Use STR instead of DEX for thrown weapons, plus infinite +1 force javelins.

Gildedragon
2016-04-18, 12:52 PM
Then you want Bolas. They are a ranged trip. When you successfully trip a flying creature unless it can hover (like hover feat or perfect flight maneuverability), it is stalled and falls.

Another idea: Get really awesome jumping skills. Then you can at least hit low flyingers (up to 10-60 ft high) with one attack.

A paralyzing weapon coated with a sleep or paralysis contact poison? Make a touch attack to deliver both.
Also see if you can retrain that flaw into another. Shaky and earthbound don't mix well against flying

ericgrau
2016-04-18, 12:56 PM
A paralyzing weapon coated with a sleep or paralysis contact poison? Make a touch attack to deliver both.
Save DC is low

Might I suggest a Glove of Infinite Javelins and the Brutal Throw feat? Use STR instead of DEX for thrown weapons, plus infinite +1 force javelins.
This is probably the way, except it's harder to buff or upgrade than a composite bow. So you have to make sure str mod - dex mod is greater than potential buffs. Boots of speed still help though.

untrippable
2016-04-18, 12:57 PM
A wand with the Launch Item cantrip from the Spell Compendium. You launch an item weighing up to 10lbs 110 feet. Net only weighs 6lbs.

paddyfool
2016-04-18, 01:04 PM
A few ideas that seem thematically appropriate but may or may not be mechanically feasible:

Magic items that grant weather control could be used to force flyers to ground. Up in the air may not be where someone wants to be if there's a gale blowing, for instance.

Alternatively, magic items of earth shaping could allow you to get yourself and party members safely underground when flying opponents attack. You could even leave a ground-level tunnel entrance as tempting bait for them to land.

Some magic means of forest growth could also provide cover against above-ground opponents. (Tree tokens, maybe?)

A flying pet that you train to fetch (grapple/trip other flying foes and so bring them to ground).

Some form of taunt mechanic may also work if you can find an effective one for goading them into melee with you.

Chainshot (if era-appropriate). Basically, giant bolas fired out of a cannon, effective either at bringing down flyers or damaging scenery / vehicles. What's not to love?

Inevitability
2016-04-18, 01:15 PM
Have one of the party's other melee guys wear a ring gate on their armor. Then when said warrior gets a Fly spell cast on him and flies up, you just poke a spear through the other end of the ring gate and hopefully hit whatever is in front of the aforementioned warrior.

At 40000 GP it's pretty expensive though, and definitely not as cheap as other sources of flight you can get by now.

noce
2016-04-18, 01:23 PM

The problem with bolas is, indeed, good+ maneuverability is unaffected, including casters with fly spell.
I took shaky for thematic reasons, I know it's not a good plan but it fits the concept.
For jump, dwarves have -6 penalty for their speed, and I'm wearing a stone plate armor with -7 ACP and have no ranks in jump. I fear that train has sailed.

Brutal throw seems to be the best answer to my problem, since my STR is 14 to 22 points higher than DEX (kensai). Unluckily, a feat is a quite important price to pay.

A wand with the Launch Item cantrip from the Spell Compendium. You launch an item weighing up to 10lbs 110 feet. Net only weighs 6lbs.

Launch item specifies splash items. It won't unfold a net in such a way that it will work as designed (or at least not at our table).

Have one of the party's other melee guys wear a ring gate on their armor. Then when said warrior gets a Fly spell cast on him and flies up, you just poke a spear through the other end of the ring gate and hopefully hit whatever is in front of the aforementioned warrior.

At 40000 GP it's pretty expensive though, and definitely not as cheap as other sources of flight you can get by now.

Simply great! :) I don't have those money, but this is a great idea and in line with what my character would do.

Telonius
2016-04-18, 01:29 PM
Tanglefoot Bags would help against anything Large or smaller that uses wings. That doesn't cover all your bases by any means, but it's a cheap solution for a lot of mundane threats.

Gildedragon
2016-04-18, 02:04 PM
The problem with bolas is, indeed, good+ maneuverability is unaffected, including casters with fly spell.
I took shaky for thematic reasons, I know it's not a good plan but it fits the concept.
For jump, dwarves have -6 penalty for their speed, and I'm wearing a stone plate armor with -7 ACP and have no ranks in jump. I fear that train has sailed.

Brutal throw seems to be the best answer to my problem, since my STR is 14 to 22 points higher than DEX (kensai). Unluckily, a feat is a quite important price to pay.

Launch item specifies splash items. It won't unfold a net in such a way that it will work as designed (or at least not at our table

You can launch any fine item (which one can argue the net isn't a big, but I don't think it had a listed size) It just has special rules for splash weapons ie, no range penalties.

Chewychunga
2016-04-18, 02:42 PM
Would a wand of dispell magic work? Or if creature has wings tanglefoot bags

ericgrau
2016-04-18, 08:41 PM
Would a wand of dispell magic work? Or if creature has wings tanglefoot bags

Not well... Maybe a CL 16+ staff of greater dispel magic. 72,000+ gp at 50 charges, but maybe he could get a high charge cost to get it down to 36,000 gp. Plus it has other uses besides anti-flight. Only needs to reliably make DC 20 UMD checks or dip a caster class. Cleric swapping domains for domain feats is a nice dip.

And there are a few creatures with supernatural flight who would still bone him. But at least a rogue with a potion would make the dispel auto-pass.

noce
2016-04-19, 09:30 AM
Not well... Maybe a CL 16+ staff of greater dispel magic. 72,000+ gp at 50 charges, but maybe he could get a high charge cost to get it down to 36,000 gp. Plus it has other uses besides anti-flight. Only needs to reliably make DC 20 UMD checks or dip a caster class. Cleric swapping domains for domain feats is a nice dip.

My mental stats being 16 9 6, I think the only casters I could dip into are wizard and archivist.
Archivist could work thematically, but it would be a stretch.

Segev
2016-04-19, 09:44 AM
An instant fortress (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#instantFortress) would be a place you could hole up if anything airborne is attacking you from range. Force it to come down to you.

An spell or item that generates fog clouds would also be viable; use them to create concealment over a broad area.

A mattock of the titans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mattockoftheTitans) or a lyre of building (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#lyreofBuilding) or both together could let you dig out mini-dungeons or tunnels or build shelters and other environments more conducive to your fighting style. Force the flyers to come to you or to leave you alone.

Chewychunga
2016-04-19, 09:59 AM
What about deflect/ catch arrows and monk dip? They will choose to come to you if they can't damage you from range

ericgrau
2016-04-19, 11:35 AM
My mental stats being 16 9 6, I think the only casters I could dip into are wizard and archivist.

I believe you can still dip cleric, or any other caster class, and use staffs even if you can't cast any 1st level spells. Spell trigger items are nice like that.

Belzyk
2016-04-19, 11:48 AM
Hi to everyone :)

I'm playing an earth dwarf fighter-ish, currently level 11.
The fact is, my character refuses to fly at all costs, he even tries to save when his fellow sorcerer casts fly on him.
This idiosyncrasy for leaving the ground is reflected in his choices, his equipment and other little things.

Now, we all know that by level 11 a character should be able to bring fight to airborne creatures, but what I'm looking for is a way to force them land.
The net could do this with a ranged touch attack (my strength check is good), but its maximum range is 10ft.
Another similar weapon is the harpoon (30ft max range), but my attack bonus would be +5 approximately, too low to be effective.
I also know about Earthbind, Wingbind and Downdraft, but I cannot cast any spell.
I tried to look for magic items, but found nothing.

Also, I would like to be self-sufficient in a battle against a flying creature, so I don't consider other players' help sufficient. Last time we played, there was a tournament, and I lost the final encounter against a fly-potion drinking rogue.

So, do you have any advice on what I could do with the restrictions I'm imposing myself? :)

EDIT: don't know if it can help, but I'm a skilled tripper.
We use everything official except Dragon Compendium.

Id say talk with your dm. About maybe home brewing the net to have like a 60ft range or some sort of incrameints for your str mod. If they are a good dm they would respect your role play and help out. Least they should. Also think of becoming a mineral warrior XD

kellbyb
2016-04-19, 12:51 PM
I'd personally go with the brutal throw route with the gauntlet of infinite javelins. You might also consider asking the DM to let you pick a different flaw, or at least remove it and sacrifice whatever you got as a trade-off.

Segev
2016-04-19, 01:18 PM
You might also consider asking the DM to let you pick a different flaw, or at least remove it and sacrifice whatever you got as a trade-off.

It's only a -2 to hit with ranged attacks. That's not nothing, but it is something that can be overcome. A pair of bracers of archery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bracersofArcheryGreater) will give either a +1 or a +2 to hit with a bow and arrow, for example, which, while costly, is something which stacks with all the other bonuses you're likely to run into for hitting with ranged weapons.

noce
2016-04-19, 01:31 PM
I'd personally go with the brutal throw route with the gauntlet of infinite javelins. You might also consider asking the DM to let you pick a different flaw, or at least remove it and sacrifice whatever you got as a trade-off.

I'm a heavy focused melee fighter. And for heavy I mean melee is my bread and butter.
For my character, resorting to javelins as a frequently used tactic would be as odd as flying.

Id say talk with your dm. About maybe home brewing the net to have like a 60ft range or some sort of incrameints for your str mod. If they are a good dm they would respect your role play and help out. Least they should. Also think of becoming a mineral warrior XD

I didn't think about burrow. I even have earth subtype. It's a great idea, I'll search for other ways to gain a burrow speed.

Anyway, thank you all for you help and advices, they're much appreciated.
Maybe ring gates, instant fortress and similar things are the way to go for me (or burrow).

kellbyb
2016-04-19, 01:32 PM
It's only a -2 to hit with ranged attacks. That's not nothing, but it is something that can be overcome. A pair of bracers of archery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bracersofArcheryGreater) will give either a +1 or a +2 to hit with a bow and arrow, for example, which, while costly, is something which stacks with all the other bonuses you're likely to run into for hitting with ranged weapons.

Ah, I was under the impression that it was quite a bit more harsh. Nothing to worry about then.

Telok
2016-04-19, 07:26 PM
The Brutal Throw feat and either spell storing ammunition or a spell storing and returning weapon.

Then all you need is to get the ammo/weapon reliably refilled with the preferred grounding magic/psychic power of your choice.

If I recall correctly a druid with Spell Sniper levels can get you a no-save Downdraft spell. This will cost money and may require Leadership.

noce
2016-04-20, 03:34 AM
The Brutal Throw feat and either spell storing ammunition or a spell storing and returning weapon.

Then all you need is to get the ammo/weapon reliably refilled with the preferred grounding magic/psychic power of your choice.

If I recall correctly a druid with Spell Sniper levels can get you a no-save Downdraft spell. This will cost money and may require Leadership.

My main weapon is already spell storing, and I managed to throw it as an improvised weapon.
However, spell storing text says the enhancement functions if the "wielder" so desires, so the DM didn't let me discharge the spell when I threw the weapon because I wasn't in contact with it.

I think he wouldn't allow spell storing ammunitions, for the same reason.

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-20, 07:02 AM
Look up lassos in one of the faerun books. Races of Faerun, I think. I want to say the range is equal to the length of the rope used minus 10 feet. Then look up trollgut rope. That should give you as much range as you need.

Better, no, BEST idea! Get some effigy critters. Armadillos, pangolins, torti, or porcupines. Now, throw them like shotput.

noce
2016-04-20, 09:46 AM
Look up lassos in one of the faerun books. Races of Faerun, I think. I want to say the range is equal to the length of the rope used minus 10 feet. Then look up trollgut rope. That should give you as much range as you need.

Lasso is from BoED, its range increment is 10 feet, with a listed max range of 30 feet.
So, even if the rope is longer, it is not designed to effectively entangle creatures at more than 30 feet.

killem2
2016-04-21, 11:21 PM
Your party should just give you some "milk" and put you on a zeppelin :smallcool:

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-21, 11:23 PM
Your party should just give you some "milk" and put you on a zeppelin :smallcool:

I pity the fool who cant get this plan to come together.

ericgrau
2016-04-21, 11:57 PM
Eclipse.*Wham*

Knaight
2016-04-22, 12:04 AM
I'm a heavy focused melee fighter. And for heavy I mean melee is my bread and butter.
For my character, resorting to javelins as a frequently used tactic would be as odd as flying.

I don't know the character, but unless they're very stubborn in a particular way they can likely see that flying enemies are a big problem and consciously choose to try and learn a skill to counter them. Given that they aren't willing to take flight, having a backup tactic that only really sees use against flying enemies is hardly odd.

Segev
2016-04-22, 08:41 AM
Doesn't one of the books have a harpoon that can let you effectively perform a ranged grapple? Hurl your harpoon and use it to pull enemies to the ground. It's "alien" to your melee fighting style, but it's a way of saying, "right, no, you do NOT get to stay out of melee. GET OVER HERE."

OldTrees1
2016-04-22, 08:44 AM
Doesn't one of the books have a harpoon that can let you effectively perform a ranged grapple? Hurl your harpoon and use it to pull enemies to the ground. It's "alien" to your melee fighting style, but it's a way of saying, "right, no, you do NOT get to stay out of melee. GET OVER HERE."

30ft max range, as mentioned in the OP.

Segev
2016-04-22, 08:52 AM
30ft max range, as mentioned in the OP.

Ah, right.

Get one of those infinite-rope items to tie to one and replace the normal rope? There are at least two in the MIC (one that just keeps feeding it out, and another that's regenerating).

ericgrau
2016-04-22, 09:14 AM
I don't know the character, but unless they're very stubborn in a particular way they can likely see that flying enemies are a big problem and consciously choose to try and learn a skill to counter them. Given that they aren't willing to take flight, having a backup tactic that only really sees use against flying enemies is hardly odd.

Ya forcing foes to ground seems like a bit narrow of an answer. You want the system to give you a no save no action way (so it's reliable and doesn't have major drawbacks) to force foes to the ground with you? Good luck with that. I mean optimization can do anything so who knows maybe there's a way without too much cheese. But it seems hard.

Plus thrown weapons have str based damage. It's a better fit for melee than other ranged. That or a composite bow.

Practically speaking, you are on ground, foe is in air, you need a way to hit him normally starting round 1. Either you need to hit him from far away, or you need to pull him to you and do damage at the same time Scorpion style. Which is still a bit of a ranged attack. If you instead need to dip or spend a lot of coin for a tactic that eats an action and may or may not work each round, you're going to spending all your time and resources on trying to get it to land while your foe is actually fighting. Then you'll still lose.

Maybe you can get a ridonkously reach? Probably cheesy though.

OldTrees1
2016-04-22, 09:27 AM
Ah, right.

Get one of those infinite-rope items to tie to one and replace the normal rope? There are at least two in the MIC (one that just keeps feeding it out, and another that's regenerating).

That would be a good houserule/DM ruling to ask the DM about. I would certainly allow it myself.

Segev
2016-04-22, 11:21 AM
I still like the idea of making flying things choose between being irrelevant or having to come down to you buy magically building or digging enclosed areas for you to walk through.

Rakaydos
2016-04-22, 11:28 AM
out of curiosity, would your character use a floating stone platform he could create/control?

No idea how to pull it off, but it's a way to go after flyers without your feet leaving Earth.

Gallowglass
2016-04-22, 11:32 AM
Like Terrax, the Herald of Galactus. Rip out a chunk of earth and ride it like a skateboard after the enemy.

A combination of a burrow speed and any one of the plethora of ways to compel the enemy to want to attack you could work. You hit them with the compel trigger, then sink underground. Once they exhaust ranged attacks against your impenetrable ground barrier, they can land to try to get to you and you can pop up and attack. I seem to remember there's even a few compel attack methods that compel melee over ranged.

heavyfuel
2016-04-22, 02:43 PM
I really like the idea of jumping really high to hit your enemies or drag them down.

Look up the Jumplomancer build and just ignore the Exemplar class. I'm pretty sure you need Wild Shape, but there may be ways around it.

nedz
2016-04-22, 09:23 PM

Beguilers are int based - but that's probably not what you want with this guy thematically, though it could sort of work.
Your armour probably rules out any sort of arcanist.

+2/+4/+6 Wis item would work with Cleric - but you really need Air magic (Air walk ?) but that's just wrong for an earth type. Druid or Spirit Shaman might be a better fit in terms of characterisation - apart from the armour.

The problem you have is that you are playing a different game to the flyers.

noce
2016-04-26, 12:01 PM
I'll definitely buy a lasso or net, asking the DM to use a longer rope for a higher maximum range.

The burrow + waiting tactic is definitely viable. The only source of burrow I know is the druid spell, "burrow".
Do you know any other?

Riding a rock could be an idea, too. I just don't know how to do it.

Jumping is just out of question. I've got Jump in the negatives at level 11, and the campaign is going to end at about level 15.

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-26, 12:07 PM
I have an idea. What about using shapesand? You could start it off as something like a barbed javelin, then when it is in, turn it into bindings of some sort.

Segev
2016-04-26, 12:18 PM
The burrow + waiting tactic is definitely viable. The only source of burrow I know is the druid spell, "burrow".
Do you know any other?Lyre of Building or Mattock of the Titans to erect a structure or dig a trench quickly, perhaps. Any magic item that would let you conjure fog or an illusion could give you total concealment from the air if you put the fog a few feet above your head.

Riding a rock could be an idea, too. I just don't know how to do it.This one's easy: refluff a Carpet of Flying to be an enchanted stone, or to be a pair of boots which uproot a rock to fly on.

torrasque666
2016-04-26, 12:48 PM
Doesn't Mineral Warrior give a burrow speed?

Knaight
2016-04-26, 02:00 PM
I still like the idea of making flying things choose between being irrelevant or having to come down to you buy magically building or digging enclosed areas for you to walk through.

This only works for a narrow proportion of fights though. If you're fighting them because you're trying to get from point A to point B and they don't want you to, it works beautifully. If you're fighting them because you're trying to protect something they attacked (a village, a caravan, an NPC, whatever), it's a completely useless tactic.

noce
2016-04-27, 04:01 AM
Lyre of Building or Mattock of the Titans to erect a structure or dig a trench quickly, perhaps. Any magic item that would let you conjure fog or an illusion could give you total concealment from the air if you put the fog a few feet above your head.

This one's easy: refluff a Carpet of Flying to be an enchanted stone, or to be a pair of boots which uproot a rock to fly on.

Mattock of the Titans requires size Huge, and is too low (10 feet cube / 10 minutes).
Lyre of Building could probably do, although it's just 1/week.

I think now it's a toss up between some kind of fog or burrow.

Doesn't Mineral Warrior give a burrow speed?

Sure, but I prefer to avoid templates, for this time. Thank you for the suggestion anyway ;)

noce
2016-04-27, 10:06 AM
Hey! What about an Eversmoking Bottle?
If I'm reading it right, smoke can't be dispersed until the bottle is open, or more accurately, it continuously refills the area.

zergling.exe
2016-04-27, 11:25 AM
Hey! What about an Eversmoking Bottle?
If I'm reading it right, smoke can't be dispersed until the bottle is open, or more accurately, it continuously refills the area.

An Eversmoking Bottle does not create any smoke until it is opened, at which point it starts filling up a radius of 100 feet around it. While the bottle is closed the smoke dissipates.

Segev
2016-04-27, 04:06 PM
This only works for a narrow proportion of fights though. If you're fighting them because you're trying to get from point A to point B and they don't want you to, it works beautifully. If you're fighting them because you're trying to protect something they attacked (a village, a caravan, an NPC, whatever), it's a completely useless tactic.

Mostly true, but if you use the fog approach you can limit their ability to do much without descending below it. Also, that gives you buildings or the like to climb up to help, and if they're attacking PEOPLE rather than just trying to damage structures, the structures themselves provide a place in which to hide to force them to come to you.

Efrate
2016-04-28, 04:28 AM
Get a way to cast wall of stone, shaped into a cylinder beneath you. Assuming most fliers want to stay around 60 feet or less off the ground so they can dive or otherwise move and attack, you make the wall appear underneath you in a cylinder shape or somesuch, and rise yourself to their level. Slipper of spider climbing might be needed to stick to it. Make the earth rise to meet them then fight them. If you are willing to sacrifice a move action I have cost at 59400, if you can UMD it or dip/cheese your way into spell trigger, you can have a 50 charge item for 41250. Or get a bunch of one time use slotless items for 5500 each.

You could do it for less action cost maybe with stone shape, however I'm horrid at calculations of volume, but you can math out a CL you need at x cubic feet to have a plinth underneath you that you can stand on that can support your weight, not need to make balance checks on and fight from. Bring the earth to them if they won't come down.

weckar
2016-04-28, 06:50 AM
Mobile siege weapons that launched nets were an option in mediėval times. I know handcannons are a thing in D&D somewhere. Can't we combine these two for an ideal solution?

noce
2016-04-30, 08:21 AM
Another option could be to use Bolt Shirt to teleport in the air, hence starting a grapple with the airborne enemy to make him land (maybe coupled with Boots of Landing).

I don't remember exactly how grapple works, but I should be good at it with all my bonuses to strength checks.
This tactic should work against magical flight, too, since I weight well over 400 pounds (over 200 kg), so wizards couldn't stay aloft with such an encumbrance.

What do you think?

Vizzerdrix
2016-04-30, 11:17 AM
Clever if you can reach them. May wany to get a size advantage too for the big stuff. I wonder if the Hammer anď Piton feat could be shoehorned in? Anything too big to grapple could then be blinked to and climbed on.