PDA

View Full Version : Reflective shield critique.

CrackedChair
2016-04-18, 10:16 AM
Ok, so I'm DM'ing a group of 3 people, with all of them able to use a shield. I was a bit worried about the villain at the end of their next campaign, cause I seriously don't think the party can deal with a Lightning bolt.

Knowing this, I've decided to make a magic item to put with their loot. A sort of reflective shield.

Basically, it goes like this: once the player attunes to the shield, they gain the same reflective carapace trait that the Tarrasque has, meaning they are immune to attack spells, line spells, and magic missile.

Thing is, I needed a flaw for it. I decided that it is a rather fragile shield, and if it is subjected to a magical attack it can negate, the owner rolls a d20, and on a 1, the shield cracks and loses it's magical benefit unless it's subject to repair. It could also break if the owner takes damage, procing another d20 roll.

How does this sound?

Zman
2016-04-18, 10:23 AM
Ok, so I'm DM'ing a group of 3 people, with all of them able to use a shield. I was a bit worried about the villain at the end of their next campaign, cause I seriously don't think the party can deal with a Lightning bolt.

Knowing this, I've decided to make a magic item to put with their loot. A sort of reflective shield.

Basically, it goes like this: once the player attunes to the shield, they gain the same reflective carapace trait that the Tarrasque has, meaning they are immune to attack spells, line spells, and magic missile.

Thing is, I needed a flaw for it. I decided that it is a rather fragile shield, and if it is subjected to a magical attack it can negate, the owner rolls a d20, and on a 1, the shield cracks and loses it's magical benefit unless it's subject to repair. It could also break if the owner takes damage, procing another d20 roll.

How does this sound?

That is incredibly imbalancing and would be akin to a Legendary Magical Item. If you go this route, it should be no more than a single use item.

There are far more efficient, less imbalancing, and elegant ways to make sure the party can handle a Lightning Bolt. Namely, make sure they are sufficient level to survive one or two. I mean at worst two of them will get hit, and they should be able to take 8d6(28) Damage with a reasonable Dex Save for Half.

What level is the party? If the characters are level 4 or so you should be ok.

CrackedChair
2016-04-18, 10:30 AM
The party consists of all lvl 4 adventurers, a fighter, paladin, and cleric. Thing is, i have a hard time with rewards for players, and sometime I give stuff ment for a single big fight, which really has a big impact through furture adventures.

Just wanted to know, would it be a bit more balanced if it breaks like say, when they roll below an 16 on a d20? Or is it still a rather big magic item?

Diebo
2016-04-18, 11:38 AM
If you really only want it for a big fight, consider a potion or a scroll.

Joe the Rat
2016-04-18, 11:39 AM
I think what you want is something to help them survive, not something that negates the villain - otherwise you could just remove the lightning bolt.

Any Shield Masters in the lot? Save for none is pretty nice if you have a smidgen of dex.

If nobody is going that route, you could have an "add shield to dex save" and "dex save for half = save for none" as a shield trait.

Convert Blue/Bronze Dragon Scale Armor into a Blue/Bronze Dragonscale Shield - Lightning resistance!

Spellguard Shield is also a possible model.

Rather than a generic laser immunity, make it a reaction ability of the shield. Then you just need to have some mooks in the final confrontation that can draw OAs. All of a sudden the massed soldiers clear the area between you and Evil von Blitzen. Do you take the OA, or save your reaction to duck and cover?

You could really up the reflect idea: The three shields are a set. When used together, they can reflect spell attacks back at the caster.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-18, 12:16 PM
Why not just make it a shield that can cast Absorb Elements once every so often?

CrackedChair
2016-04-18, 12:50 PM
Good idea everyone... Thanks.

CrackedChair
2016-04-18, 07:22 PM
Ok, I might as well post this magic item that I came up with...

Shield of Spell reflection ( Legendary )
Shield-(Requires attunement)

This shield appears to be a Shield with a mirror-like surface.

This shield gives a +2 bonus to AC when wielded.

When you are targeted by a spell that requires an attack roll, a line spell, or Magic Missile, you can use your reaction to interpose this shield between you and the spell, then roll a d6. On a 1-4, the spell is negated, and on a 5-6, the spell is negated, and the spell is then reflected back at the original caster, making it the new target of the spell. Once a reflect is activated, roll a d20. On a 1, the shield's mirror surface breaks and loses it's reflecting power. It then becomes a regular +2 shield.

The shield can also be used as a mirror, and reflects images and light as such.

How does it sound?

Daishain
2016-04-18, 08:01 PM
Ok, I might as well post this magic item that I came up with...

Shield of Spell reflection ( Legendary )
Shield-(Requires attunement)

This shield appears to be a Shield with a mirror-like surface.

This shield gives a +2 bonus to AC when wielded.

When you are targeted by a spell that requires an attack roll, a line spell, or Magic Missile, you can use your reaction to interpose this shield between you and the spell, then roll a d6. On a 1-4, the spell is negated, and on a 5-6, the spell is negated, and the spell is then reflected back at the original caster, making it the new target of the spell. Once a reflect is activated, roll a d20. On a 1, the shield's mirror surface breaks and loses it's reflecting power. It then becomes a regular +2 shield.

The shield can also be used as a mirror, and reflects images and light as such.

How does it sound?

about on par for a legendary item

However, a level four party typically doesn't get the honor of breathing the same air as someone who owns a legendary item. It is way above their "pay grade"

Now, you are free to run your campaign as you like. However there are two things to keep in mind if you give them this shield. One, for the sake of party parity, the other members of the team not using the shield probably should be given items or rewards of comparable usefulness. Two, for the sake of game balance, you need to start running them up against much tougher enemies.

My suggestion? Leave the shield for when they're getting up over level 15 at least, and give them a scroll or amulet that will provide a little protection against the spells you are worried about.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-18, 08:07 PM

How does this sound?

If they can't deal with a lightning bolt then reduce the damage.

Xd6 (maybe 4d6 or 5d6) base damage and the target is knocked prone (electrocuted ), a successful dex save halves the damage and negates the prone.

CrackedChair
2016-04-18, 10:24 PM
about on par for a legendary item

However, a level four party typically doesn't get the honor of breathing the same air as someone who owns a legendary item. It is way above their "pay grade"

Now, you are free to run your campaign as you like. However there are two things to keep in mind if you give them this shield. One, for the sake of party parity, the other members of the team not using the shield probably should be given items or rewards of comparable usefulness. Two, for the sake of game balance, you need to start running them up against much tougher enemies.

My suggestion? Leave the shield for when they're getting up over level 15 at least, and give them a scroll or amulet that will provide a little protection against the spells you are worried about.

Well, Im not going to give them something this powerful, mind. I just thought of it when I had doubts, and I might as well make it into a magic item for use by everyone on the boards.

I could go for the potion's and whatnot, to give them a breather against spells... I'm not sympathetic, I'm actually a very fair DM. It's just I want them to succeed, but I have to follow the rules too, so if that Ogre smacks the poopoo out of that cleric, bringing it down to 0 hit points, it's happening if it rolls. I feel bad afterwards, but it's just how it goes.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-19, 12:10 AM
I could go for the potion's and whatnot, to give them a breather against spells... I'm not sympathetic, I'm actually a very fair DM. It's just I want them to succeed, but I have to follow the rules too, so if that Ogre smacks the poopoo out of that cleric, bringing it down to 0 hit points, it's happening if it rolls. I feel bad afterwards, but it's just how it goes.

As a DM, you play by vastly different rules than the PCs.

First rule of DMing, modify your stuff before you modify something on the other side of the screen.

Safety Sword
2016-04-19, 12:21 AM
The other way you can handle this is to just have your bad guy have some "bad luck" and not roll high on his lightning bolt damage the first time (Yes, I'm advocating DM "cheating").

Then they'll be aware of it and can play accordingly.

As always, never let your players see your dice rolls :smalltongue: