PDA

View Full Version : Running Rise of the Runelords for 2 players

Yabex
2016-04-18, 12:01 PM
I've recently picked up the RotR anniversary edition and plan to start running it next month. I know D&D 3.5 quite well, but this will be my first time doing a Pathfinder game. It looks like I only have 2 PCs, And I'm not sure about how to balance the AP for a party of 2. I'd like to try gestalt out and I think it might go a long way to improving party's chance of survival.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have experience running RotR with only 2 PCs or with Gestalt? I'd like to avoid using DMPCs as extra party members and the players are currently planning on making a Ranger/Wizard and Fighter/Cleric. Thanks!

Malimar
2016-04-18, 01:13 PM
I was a player in a RotR game where, for the first while, there were only two players. It didn't work very well; the other PC died very early on, and mine went unconscious a couple times.

(After several sessions, we got two more players, then when ogre time came we got another two more players, so we wound up completing the campaign with six players.)

Gestalt is a good idea. Another idea: let the PCs be one or two levels above the suggested level. They'll still run into action economy trouble either way, but either or both techniques should soften the hardship.

ngilop
2016-04-18, 06:19 PM
I had this issue with a curse of the crimson throne campaign, after a few rough starts (4 or 5) I finally settled on gestalt, starting at level 2+ (i think it was 1800 or so exp) and giving them 300 gold worth of consumables, with the caveat that the items are not above their level of abilities ( i.e only potions/scroll of 1st level spells)

It worked fine up untill half way through skeletons of skarwall, but that is only because a 3rd joined in.

the original two were a rogue/duskblade/dragon disciple (full rogue with altered DD that had half progression) and a favored soul/marshal