PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How would you as a player feel?

WereRabbitz
2016-04-18, 12:31 PM
So i'm putting together a campaign and it's coming together nicely.

Characters: No requirement
Adventures start out fighting at sea united by a monster attack, Explorer a cave they find on a island they are stranded on.
return a student to a school who can't save her and ask you to deliver her body to her father which ends up summoning a demon and you return to a battle at the school...ect...

When this part is all over the NPC's would be about level 6 and their next bit would turn them traveling far south to find out who this student they found really was before she came to this school and everything went down hill...

At this point I would say "Roll new Characters"

New Characters: Must all have the sailor background starting level 4
Sailing across the ocean to deliver rare antiques, were sailing on a ship delivering cargo to the main port town near the same school even noticing their characters passing by as they load the ship to shove off again. Traveling back to find a uprising in their homeport and being commissioned by the regent as buccaneers to hunt down a pirate with a few other captains for some good pay. This mystery leads far out to sea and to a pirate who's part of a much greater scheme back to the far west across the ocean....

"Roll new Characters"

Characters: Must be Half-Orc Race starting level 8
Your now part of the elite guard of the stoneblood clan in the far southern sands on a missions to fight back wyverns as you find and put a end to the mysterious magic that kept drawing them to attack your village and exit the catacombs you see strange adentures in your hometown asking about a student.....

So you get the idea.. just curious how would you feel as a player having to switch characters every few levels and eventually towards the end having all these hero's be part of the figtht against a greater evil which ends with you taking your original characters (now level 18) into Extra Dimensional Rift to battle the boss..

Thanks!

Cybren
2016-04-18, 12:35 PM
If I were to do this, I would pregen characters at each phase. I may also have their own PCs as part of a framing device to keep a narrative through-line that connects all the dots in-character.

(as a pure semantic quibble, it seems odd to describe a campaign as "coming together nicely" before it even starts, seeing as the real challenge for the average gaming group is making it past a month without collapse)

WereRabbitz
2016-04-18, 12:38 PM
If I were to do this, I would pregen characters at each phase. I may also have their own PCs as part of a framing device to keep a narrative through-line that connects all the dots in-character.

(as a pure semantic quibble, it seems odd to describe a campaign as "coming together nicely" before it even starts, seeing as the real challenge for the average gaming group is making it past a month without collapse)

Sorry was trying to type that up quickly during my lunch while also working : P

I mean as far as planning out the different areas and the missions/goals/npc's it's coming together nicely. As far as me having things to help tie them back to where they need to go (and backup plans as well).

I'm still in the world building stage, I was just worried a player might feel robbed re rolling their character so often.

Typewriter
2016-04-18, 12:38 PM
The only thing that would bug me is playing a character for weeks then having to give it up. Shorter bursts (especially if I knew it was coming) would be fine - but if I took a character from level 1 to 6 then had to switch I might be a bit bothered - but I'm very much into character background/identity/personality.

Giant2005
2016-04-18, 12:43 PM
I would be a bit disgruntled about having to abandon my character the first time, but I would persevere and do as told. I wouldn't bother making a third character after being told to ditch my replacement character though - it is at that point I would decide that it is a trend that would continue, and then I'd find myself a new game.

kaoskonfety
2016-04-18, 01:11 PM
I've done similar though as more of a one session aside.

Everyone made 1 hit die commoners, 3 hit die town watch types and ran with their lvl 7 regular party PC's

Commoners started looking into an issue on their fields - and die in fire VERY promptly.

Town watch is dispatched to look into the fire and the missing persons and mange to get a runner to town yelling about the 5 headed dragon spitting fire.

The PC's turn up and this saves all the exposition because the D*** well know its a hydra from the clues 'the survivors' reported. I was quite pleased to use player knowledge for an actual in game smoothing out. As a bonus it turned "a hydra attacks" into a full and rather fun session.

Make sure they have a rough idea what they are getting into and that they like the idea and I don't really see the problem?

Foxhound438
2016-04-18, 01:18 PM
I was just worried a player might feel robbed re rolling their character so often.

So long as you say at the start that they aren't going to be one character the whole time, it'd be fine. I'd personally use it to test out some various build ideas.

Finieous
2016-04-18, 01:22 PM
Adventures start out fighting at sea united by a monster attack

What if they die?

Explorer a cave they find on a island they are stranded on.

What if they don't explore the cave, or improvise an ingenious way to escape the island? Or think they have an ingenious idea to escape the island and die?

return a student to a school who can't save her

What if they don't?

and ask you to deliver her body to her father

What if they don't?

which ends up summoning a demon and you return to a battle at the school...ect...

What if they don't?

I'm okay with a little railroading in a really good game with a really good DM, but this whole setup sounds like you want the players to create some different groups of characters so you can use them to tell your story from different POVs. If that's accurate, my advice would be to write a story. By you, for you. Then create a D&D campaign that is for your players.

JeenLeen
2016-04-18, 01:25 PM
So long as you say at the start that they aren't going to be one character the whole time, it'd be fine. I'd personally use it to test out some various build ideas.

I agree with this sentiment. I would enjoy a game like as this as an opportunity to try out different builds, but I would like to know starting out that this would happen. Also, let the players know that each party will matter later on. If party A fails, that should impact something; otherwise, players might just not care about a given arc knowing that in the next one they get new PCs.

If you don't think it would ruin the suspense or pacing, saying team A is level 1-x and team B is level x to y, and so on, would be nicer to those who want to test out builds. I would be annoyed if my PC got a cool ability at level 6 that I really wanted to try out, but his career ended at level 5.

Sigreid
2016-04-18, 01:26 PM
You need to ask your players if they are ok with this style, and accept their answers.

rhouck
2016-04-18, 01:27 PM
I think you really have to ask your own players...

I had a DM who did something semi-similar, where we had about a month or so where we played alternate characters (pregens by him) to further a background story. I didn't like it, because I was being placed to play a different character, rather than getting to develop my own character.

However, other members of the group loved it and enjoyed playing someone else.

So I think you really need to float this overall idea (obviously omitting the plot details) of rerolling characters every few levels to your players and see how they feel. I think this is something you need to have them onboard with from the beginning, rather than spring it on them as a surprise.

Quintessence
2016-04-18, 01:29 PM
As a player it would make me connect less with the character and feel like it doesn't really matter what I do or how I play it.

gfishfunk
2016-04-18, 01:29 PM
I would be okay with it, but I tend to want to play something new every few levels anyway (even on the RP side of things).

My suggestions:

1. Get player buy-in.

2. Every few plot points, allow them to either re-play one of their old characters (appropriately leveled up) in lieu of creating a new one.

3. Careful with plot explosions. Players can only handle about 5 or 6 major characters without forgetting stuff, getting confused, and wasting a good 20 minutes figuring out who you are talking about when you pull in someone you have used before.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-04-18, 01:33 PM
What if they don't?
This may vary from group to group, but my experience has just about always been that if the DM presents an obvious plot thread, players happily follow along the rails. I can't help but feel that the "players do everything but what you want!" thing is somewhat exaggerated.

JeffreyGator
2016-04-18, 01:39 PM
(snip)
I'm okay with a little railroading in a really good game with a really good DM, but this whole setup sounds like you want the players to create some different groups of characters so you can use them to tell your story from different POVs. If that's accurate, my advice would be to write a story. By you, for you. Then create a D&D campaign that is for your players.

There are ways you can use your world building efforts to help the players tell their stories in your world.

There are advantages to what you are describing. Players get to try different characters and options without learning a new campaign. Players get to play in a world with a defined narrative arc/structure. People will want those things - but don't want the surprises as most people here have mentioned.

Demonslayer666
2016-04-18, 01:39 PM
I played in a Cthulhu game were we kept having dream sequences from the past and were handed out pregenerated characters to play. They usually died horribly, and then we would go back to our regular characters. It turned out to be a lot of fun. The GM kept the characters, so each week we would dread opening our folders in fear of our character sheets being replaced. It made the game very interesting.

I find your idea very intriguing. Since I really like to make characters, I think this would be fun.

2D8HP
2016-04-18, 01:56 PM
So you get the idea.. just curious how would you feel as a player having to switch characters every few levels and eventually towards the end having all these hero's be part of the figtht against a greater evil which ends with you taking your original characters (now level 18) into Extra Dimensional Rift to battle the boss..

Thanks!
Actually it sounds awesome! But I was long used to needing to roll up a new character ever few sessions "back in the day",.but for what it's worth I WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME!

Finieous
2016-04-18, 01:57 PM
This may vary from group to group, but my experience has just about always been that if the DM presents an obvious plot thread, players happily follow along the rails. I can't help but feel that the "players do everything but what you want!" thing is somewhat exaggerated.

It does vary from group to group (and player to player, and from campaign to campaign, for that matter; I have more tolerance for it sometimes and less others), but willing seizure of plot hooks isn't all that is required, here. There is a whole chain of "the players do this, and the outcome is this" in that (single) section I excerpted. Then there are the other sections.

Some players will be fine with this. Some players will come up with an idea to escape the island. When they catch on that they can't do that because it isn't the plot, they'll check out.

Anyway, there's a kernel of an idea there that I like. If the "hub" were a situation or event (rather than a script) with impacts on different parts of the world, I think it would be cool to explore that from different perspectives with different groups of characters. For what it's worth.

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-18, 02:03 PM
If that's accurate, my advice would be to write a story. By you, for you.

Given the incoherence and poor layout of the original post, you are condemning this nice forum friend of ours to purgatory. Getting a story written is hard work.

Then create a D&D campaign that is for your players. Brilliant idea. Completely agree.

WereRabbitz
2016-04-18, 03:15 PM
Given the incoherence and poor layout of the original post, you are condemning this nice forum friend of ours to purgatory. Getting a story written is hard work.
Brilliant idea. Completely agree.

ouch...

I was looking for a simple quick response on how people would feel as players switching roles. While you don't get the character attachment, you do get to change your role quite often. Who hasn't leveled up to 9 or 10 and gotten a little bored wanting to try something different or start thinking of multiclassing.

It was not my intention to drop paste the entire story as it didn't matter, I was just trying to convey the idea behind it with a few odd examples without going overboard on text and detail.

Thanks to all the feedback, and if I consider taking this route i'll consult with the players beforehand.

Cybren
2016-04-18, 03:19 PM
ouch...

I was looking for a simple quick response on how people would feel as players switching roles. While you don't get the character attachment, you do get to change your role quite often. Who hasn't leveled up to 9 or 10 and gotten a little bored wanting to try something different or start thinking of multiclassing.

It was not my intention to drop paste the entire story as it didn't matter, I was just trying to convey the idea behind it with a few odd examples without going overboard on text and detail.

Thanks to all the feedback, and if I consider taking this route i'll consult with the players beforehand.

I would definitely consult the players beforehand, but I would do that with like, almost everything. It's definitely the sort of thing that you have to be informed of going in, just like if you ask your players to make realistic mid 1970s new york cops and then reveal two sessions in that vampires exist and are immune to bullets they're gonna be a little annoyed. As a rule of thumb, the longer you expect your campaign to last, the fewer 'high concept surprises' there should be. Twists are fine, but your audience will be a bit confused when they find out 25 minutes into the 180 minute runtime the movie becomes a silent film.

Shaofoo
2016-04-18, 03:39 PM
If I had ample warning that this was gonna happen since day 1 I would not have such a big problem and see how it all goes out but if you spring it to me that I must reroll a character all of a sudden I would be very cross with you.

Personally I would ask if the players are okay because some players might not like the restrictions placed on them. Maybe someone doesn't want to play a half orc at all. I know that if I was restricted to be a druid I'd ask if I could play a nature Cleric instead because I do not care for the Wild Shape.

Basically warn the players first and see what is their reactions, do say the restrictions that you are planning as well, don't be vague or someone might not like playing them.

KorvinStarmast
2016-04-18, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all the feedback, and if I consider taking this route i'll consult with the players beforehand. Hope it works out. (And who knows, one of your players might provide you with a few good ideas to fold into your larger idea!). :smallbiggrin:

YCombinator
2016-04-18, 04:28 PM
My suggestions:

1. Get player buy-in.

This is the key. It's important to remember that as the DM, it's not your job to exclusively decide we're going to do a dungeon crawl with many gelatinous cubes. Or we're going to do a political intrigue story with little or no combat. I really think all players should be in the loop prior to the game where all players, including the DM, agree loosely on what kind of story they want to develop. I polled my players prior to developing the campaign I'm making to ask which of these 3 vague types of campaigns they would most like to play, and I just did the one that got the most votes. I also got a vote.

You, as the DM, clearly have the most power of this. You're going to be generating the NPCs, puzzles, the elements of antagonism. But you can't just do anything you'd like. Everyone in the game needs about equal input on grand sweeping things like changing characters every 3 levels or so. If your group agrees, then, yes, you can do absolutely anything you'd like.

Level backward from 20 if you want. Actually, now that I think about it, that could be a pretty interesting idea. But get player buy in. If your players trust you and you decide you want to **** with your friends and TPK them, not tell them, then roll new PCs, then bring them all back in the end... well, you need to ask yourself if your friends are the kind of folks that will think "Oh that was interesting. I like it." or think "What? I keep dying in this railroaded impossible adventure. Lame!"

You should know where the group stands in terms of trusting you to be bending the traditional rules and expectations. If you have any doubts though, get player buy in.

Asmotherion
2016-04-18, 05:56 PM
I would advise to talk to your players beforehand so that they know they are going to control more than one character. I usually am the DM, but when I play I dislike having to forget my character and even more to have limited options about backround and (especially) race. For example I would never play as an orc or half orc as a player, and would not be pleased to have to reroll without knowing the reason.