PDA

View Full Version : necromancer build

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 04:01 PM
so I meet up with one of the guys who dm at my table. I have been working on a one punch man build for the other. he said he had been talking with the other dm and they were thinking about rotating what campaign we will be doing every week. I asked him what the rules were for characters. we can use any book. we are lv 40 for some reason. the only thing not allowed is pun pun. he also said we must pick a theme like one or two weapons, or up to two schools of magic as a theme. I am going to be a necromancer. could I have help with a build

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 04:42 PM
What kind of necromancer do you wish to be (theme, style, methods of choice, and attitude)?

However I can't recommend Dread Necromancers enough (or to recommend the Command Undead spell for those that want an army).

Oh, and the Chain Spell metamagic feat is really nice for Necromancers. I suggest both getting the least metamagic rod and taking the feat yourself.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-18, 05:06 PM
At level 40, you might as well go True Necromancer and ur-theurge it up, using dread necromancer as base, and horned harbinger to add cha to CL, or yathrinshee if you're up for being drow.

Drow paladin of tyranny 2/dread necromancer 8/ur-priest 2/true necromancer 14/mystic theurge 10/yathrinshee 4, or something like that. Yes, you lose a lot of CL for general-purpose spells, but your CL for necromancy spells is about 50-60, before consumptive field.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 05:20 PM
I have more thing to add. I am going to be a white necromancer. only raising evil or mindless thing. we are going to start at LV40 and go till LV100.(I know ridiculous)I am going to be working alongside a paladin. WE are going to be facing a lot of other necromancers and dragons. we get one template. He said any template we want. I don't know my race yet but anything goes.

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 06:19 PM
@ExLibrisMortis
Typo? Dread Necromancer 8 rather than True Necromancer 8

That is a good necromancy caster level that Drow has.

You will want the Animate Dread Warrior spell(Unapproachable East). Normal skeletons and zombies(even in the 100,000s) are merely atmosphere at your level (but do use Chain Command Undead if you want that atmosphere).

Template is a tricky question. Ghost is the best immortality but requires you to have a reason which would remove your character if resolved. Lich is the next best immortality.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 06:25 PM
I can't pick lich(white necromancer)

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 06:30 PM
I can't pick lich(white necromancer)

There is a good aligned lich which should not conflict with the white necromancer. By white necromancer do you mean good alignment or moral usage of necromancy? The first is much harder to work with because Dread Necromancer is Neutral(or evil) aligned.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 06:34 PM
moral usage of necromancy. he was an evil man once but the paladin led him to neutrality

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 06:37 PM
also. what race would be the best for this but also ironic.

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 06:42 PM
moral usage of necromancy. he was an evil man once but the paladin led him to neutrality

Oh, depending on when the redemption happened he could have been a normal lich, but given his vast necromatic lore and his desire to be moral that would be short lived. Still there is the good lich template (I remember a reference made in Libris Mortis).

However with a tale like that, I would suggest Ghost.

Since you are a white necromancer that used to be evil, I suggest taking ExLibrisMortis suggestion but without the Paladin levels (or ex paladin levels?).

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 06:44 PM
ok any feats and spells that are important besides raise dead

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 06:46 PM
also. what race would be the best for this but also ironic.

what race do you think

The Y----- prestige class is a huge caster level boost but requires Drow, so Drow would be a good race to choose.

Ironic races is trickier. What races are drawn to necromancy? Those that live long enough to think about the future but short enough to not be satisfied. So Humans are the Iconic necromancer race. This means the Ironic necromancer races would be races that were already excessively long lived(like Elves, Dwarves, or Dragons) or already immortal(like outsiders).

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 06:52 PM
is there a dragon race besides dragon born.

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 07:13 PM
is there a dragon race besides dragon born.

Dragons are dragon races. However they tend to cost several levels. I don't recommend them.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 07:14 PM
ok He is a drow ghost white necromancer. what spell and feats should i pick

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 07:31 PM
ok He is a drow ghost white necromancer. what spell and feats should i pick

Lich Loved, & Spell Focus (necromancy) for Yathrinshee
Leadership, Chain Spell(maybe some feats to reduce the level increase) as good feats for the theme
Epic Spellcasting?(check with you DM for how epic levels will work)
Question: Is positive energy part of necromancy? If so then definitely pick up Touch of Healing somehow.

Choice Spells:
Animate Dead, Desecrate, Command Undead, Animate Dread Warrior
(for necromancers of the dual energies) Cures, Restorations, Revivify, Raise Dead, Ressurections
and then there are some great necromancer Debuff spells (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=fkegm919vmq3hn0njf9pr8di83&topic=394.msg8076#msg8076)

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 07:35 PM
What do you mean by dual energy

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 08:28 PM
Is there a different type of paladin i could be

ATHATH
2016-04-18, 08:35 PM
There were some Dragon Articles that had Paladins for each of the non-LG alignments. Pick one you like.

Alternatively, dip Prestige Paladin.

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 08:54 PM
What do you mean by dual energy

Different people have different concepts of what a necromancy is. Some include positive energy along with the negative energy in their definitions. I included suggestions(Touch of Healing, Cures, Restorations, Revivify, Raise Dead, and Ressurections) for those necromancers.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 08:56 PM
Is there any LN paladin variants you know of i can't find any

OldTrees1
2016-04-18, 09:00 PM
Is there any LN paladin variants you know of i can't find any

Is there a different type of paladin i could be

Well between Dread Necromancer, White Necromancy, and the Y----- prestige class, your alignment ends up CN. The only Neutral Paladins are found in the Dragon Magazine.

However I would discourage Paladin for thematic reasons. You were evil by were partially redeemed by a Paladin. It is unlikely you will be an exemplar of your current alignment when your current alignment is merely the result of the tug of war between your old alignment and the redemption the Paladin was inspiring. Ex Evil Paladins could make sense thematically but not buildwise.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 09:19 PM
Is there a feat for constructs crafting

Amdy_vill
2016-04-18, 09:28 PM
also is there any way to get a cadaver collector as a player

Never mind this

Coidzor
2016-04-18, 11:59 PM
If you want to be a White Necromancer, you'll want to look at the Redeemer of Regrets (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9994058&postcount=14) if homebrew is negotiable. The class table got broken by the forum change, but you should be able to work out most of it from the text. Good Will save, Poor Fort and Reflex saves, Poor BAB, and loses 1 level of spellcasting on its first level.

Is there a feat for constructs crafting

Literally "Craft Construct."

You'll be interested in the Mechronomicon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0), probably.

Also the complete cost reduction handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=2ftf9745kh6a1cf34ll9u6h0i5&topic=1000.0), since constructs can get spendy if you want an army of them.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-19, 09:48 AM
@ExLibrisMortis
Typo? Dread Necromancer 8 rather than True Necromancer 8

That is a good necromancy caster level that Drow has.

You will want the Animate Dread Warrior spell(Unapproachable East). Normal skeletons and zombies(even in the 100,000s) are merely atmosphere at your level (but do use Chain Command Undead if you want that atmosphere).

Template is a tricky question. Ghost is the best immortality but requires you to have a reason which would remove your character if resolved. Lich is the next best immortality.
Yes (:smalleek:), yes (:smallbiggrin:), yes, and yes. But if you get any one template, you might as well go all the way, and be a paragon drow or something.

OldTrees1
2016-04-19, 10:51 AM
Yes (:smalleek:), yes (:smallbiggrin:), yes, and yes. But if you get any one template, you might as well go all the way, and be a paragon drow or something.

Depends on if the template is free or not. If you need to pay the whole LA, then Paragon is one of the worst choices IIRC. But if the template is free then its +numbers are competitive with Ghost's "You will never die" ability.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-19, 11:02 AM
is there any god that would support a CN white necromancer

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-19, 11:12 AM
Some gods may accept nearly anyone, I suppose, though I can't immediately think of any CG/CN necromancy-tolerant gods. Perhaps certain trickster gods might be okay with it.

Depends on if the template is free or not. If you need to pay the whole LA, then Paragon is one of the worst choices IIRC. But if the template is free then its +numbers are competitive with Ghost's "You will never die" ability.
Right, I just assumed that 'we get one template' means it's free, but it might not be. In that case, as you say, avoid paragon and that kind of template.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-19, 11:14 AM
Right, I just assumed that 'we get one template' means it's free, but it might not be. In that case, as you say, avoid paragon and that kind of template.

the template is free. should i switch to paragon

OldTrees1
2016-04-19, 11:15 AM
is there any god that would support a CN white necromancer

That Y------ prestige class comes with and requires a CE goddess. If you don't like that consequence then your alignment opens back up to LN, TN, or CN. At which point I would push Wee Jas(LN).

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-19, 11:21 AM
the template is free. should i switch to paragon
Well, should... it'll be pretty powerful, and it's worth it over ghost, if you can secure yourself some other way. Which you can - use astral projection and the like.

That Y------ prestige class comes with and requires a CE goddess. If you don't like that consequence then your alignment opens back up to LN, TN, or CN. At which point I would push Wee Jas(LN).
It's Ya-thrin-shee. And I totally agree.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-19, 11:24 AM
also this is how much gold we are getting 13.6 million. what should i spend it on.

Amdy_vill
2016-04-19, 11:36 AM
what would my cr be at level 40

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-19, 12:11 PM
what would my cr be at level 40
Player characters don't typically get a CR. With the free paragon template, you would officially be CR 52.