PDA

View Full Version : Dnd 3.5 truenamer optimization help

Belzyk
2016-04-18, 06:58 PM
So my friends in a game in about to join I'm playing a truenamer with these changes

Truenamers ​automatically have maximum ranks in Truespeak, without spending skill points,
even if they multiclass. Speak Language, Decipher Script, and Profession are class skills. They
can also speak their utterances as supernatural abilities rather than spell*like abilities.
Recitation feats are used as a swift action.

Also it's per battle not per day I am allowed to be any race. Including monsters without need to worry about LA or RHD but the monster must have alternate form because the dm will be the only person besides me to know the character is a monster until later in the game. I will be level 4 and have access to anything and everything for optimization sake. Please help me optimize this. Also I have to be truenamer 20 through and through

EDIT: also it's a 42 point buy

Belzyk
2016-04-18, 08:17 PM
Anyone? Help at all?

2016-04-18, 08:23 PM
Sometimes, it takes more than an hour to get a response. I, unfortunately, am not very familiar with Truenamers...but I know somebody who is. We must perform...a summoning ritual!

Jormengand...Jormengand...Jormengand!!!!

Now, saying a person's name three times to summon them doesn't work too often (although it usually works on Beetlejuice and Red Fel), but if this is visible enough, some Truenamer experts will likely chime into the thread before too much longer.

As in all things, patience is key.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-18, 08:25 PM
There's really only one way to build a truenamer: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?114269-My-Experiences-as-a-Truenamer

Talk to Zaq about it.

Full ranks only gives you +1 skill to max out. You'll still want to give yourself as many skill bonuses as possible beyond that, even if the penalties to the skill reset after each encounter.

Belzyk
2016-04-18, 08:28 PM
There's really only one way to build a truenamer: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?114269-My-Experiences-as-a-Truenamer

Talk to Zaq about it.

Full ranks only gives you +1 skill to max out. You'll still want to give yourself as many skill bonuses as possible beyond that, even if the penalties to the skill reset after each encounter.

No no I ment the law of whatever. That effects how many times you can cast a true name spell resets every encounter. And yeah I'm thinking of ways to boost my int to ridiculous levels with templets and maybe a mother race that has alternate form

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-18, 08:36 PM
No no I ment the law of whatever. That effects how many times you can cast a true name spell resets every encounter. And yeah I'm thinking of ways to boost my int to ridiculous levels with templets and maybe a mother race that has alternate formStill not much of a change. Just learn from Zaq and do as he does.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?214115-In-the-Beginning-Was-the-Word-and-the-Word-Was-Suck-A-Guide-to-Truenamers

Zancloufer
2016-04-18, 08:46 PM
So you automatically get max ranks in Truespeak - That helps a little. Still honestly fixing the 15+2*CR would have been better, but still. You want MAX int for sure and see if you can get a custom item of Truespeak. Also skill focus truespeak is still essential here. Even with max rank, skills focus Truespeak, 20 Int and a +5 competence item you only have 22 Truespeak and the DC to effect anything your CR is 23!

The other two big things:
Truespeak is now an Su instead of SLA. Okay so no SR at all so you can mess up golems and things with SR at ease, that is quite nice. Saving throw DC is now 10+1/2 HD + Cha mod, so the saving throws will probably be better, and finally you do not provoke attacks of opportunity. So this means you can effectively dump concentration which gets you more skill points to spend.
The Law of Resistance gets reset every encounter. Hmm well that helps a fair bit as you don't have to really worry about speaking yourself out of utterances anymore. Well past level 4 at least. Though see if you can clarify what that means for out of battle utterances.

Spend skill points on knowledge UMD and spellcraft. With a high INT and being a Truenamer you probably have 8+ skills now, so max ALL THE KNOWLEDGE. KNOW ALL THE THINGS.

Beyond that check Zaq's guide that was just posted. If even just for a general rating of the utterances. 95% of his advice is still valid, so pick up some solid and versatile utterances and mess people up. Kind of. You really need to be creative and cheesy with the Truenamer to even contribute to the party. Probably the only class where you can pull all the RAW BS cheese possible and it would make sense both IC and OOC (and probably not get DMGs volleyed at you).

Belzyk
2016-04-18, 09:26 PM
So you automatically get max ranks in Truespeak - That helps a little. Still honestly fixing the 15+2*CR would have been better, but still. You want MAX int for sure and see if you can get a custom item of Truespeak. Also skill focus truespeak is still essential here. Even with max rank, skills focus Truespeak, 20 Int and a +5 competence item you only have 22 Truespeak and the DC to effect anything your CR is 23!

The other two big things:
Truespeak is now an Su instead of SLA. Okay so no SR at all so you can mess up golems and things with SR at ease, that is quite nice. Saving throw DC is now 10+1/2 HD + Cha mod, so the saving throws will probably be better, and finally you do not provoke attacks of opportunity. So this means you can effectively dump concentration which gets you more skill points to spend.
The Law of Resistance gets reset every encounter. Hmm well that helps a fair bit as you don't have to really worry about speaking yourself out of utterances anymore. Well past level 4 at least. Though see if you can clarify what that means for out of battle utterances.

Spend skill points on knowledge UMD and spellcraft. With a high INT and being a Truenamer you probably have 8+ skills now, so max ALL THE KNOWLEDGE. KNOW ALL THE THINGS.

Beyond that check Zaq's guide that was just posted. If even just for a general rating of the utterances. 95% of his advice is still valid, so pick up some solid and versatile utterances and mess people up. Kind of. You really need to be creative and cheesy with the Truenamer to even contribute to the party. Probably the only class where you can pull all the RAW BS cheese possible and it would make sense both IC and OOC (and probably not get DMGs volleyed at you).

I'm currently talking to dm about the dc being 15+Cr instead of *2 the compentince item is a go. Also I might Might be able to abuse item familiar. Were discussing it ATM. Any idea for races that would give a massive into boost? They have to have alternate form if a monster race. I was maybe thinking a dragon with a stupid amount of templates. Paragon sadly is a no no QQ

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-18, 09:35 PM
Find a high level wizard/dweomerkeeper and pay for two castings of Supernatural Spell'd polymorph any object. Turn yourself into something with a super-high Int score, like a sarrukh. And since it's (Su), it won't be dispellable.

Belzyk
2016-04-18, 09:46 PM
Find a high level wizard/dweomerkeeper and pay for two castings of Supernatural Spell'd polymorph any object. Turn yourself into something with a super-high Int score, like a sarrukh. And since it's (Su), it won't be dispellable.

umm....i dont need a wizard....i can just play anything >.< well long as it has alternate form as a ability also using polymorph cheese i still HAVE to have alternate form as a ability if its a monster its a must

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-18, 09:53 PM
umm....i dont need a wizard....i can just play anything >.< well long as it has alternate form as a ability also using polymorph cheese i still HAVE to have alternate form as a ability if its a monster its a mustHow about a phasm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/phasm.htm)? Its Int is decent, and its other abilities can carry you when your truenaming let you down.