PDA

View Full Version : [MitPgII]Think positively!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-22, 11:44 PM
Positrix
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/FemaleMarbleStatues03.jpg

Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, positive)
HD: 9d8+18 (58 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 feet (6 squares) or fly 60 feet (perfect)
Armor Class: 27 (+5 Dex, +8 Natural, +4 Deflection), touch 19, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+11
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d6+3 plus soul snare) or bite +9 melee (1d6+3 plus soul snare)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +11 melee (1d6+3 plus soul snare) and bite +9 melee (1d6+1 plus soul snare)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of life-stealing, soul snare, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., Fast healing 3, Madness, Positive subtype, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, fire 10, electricity 10, spectral shield, SR 19
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +11, Will +10
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 18
Skills: Concentration +12, Diplomacy +6, Hide +13, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (the planes) +12, Listen +9, Move Silently +13, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +6, Spot +9, Survival +7(+9 on other planes)
Feats: Ability Focus (soul snare), Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Positive Energy Plane
Organization: Solitary, pair or scourge (3-10)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 10-16 HD (medium), 17-23 HD (medium)
Level Adjustment: --

Floating here, in a blinding corona of light is what appears to be a beautiful clothless woman completely snow white in color. Her hair flows as if not affected by gravity and her arms are stretched out as if ready to strike. Her hands are tipped with vicious claws and her mouth is full of white ivory fangs.

Positrixes are a tragic story of a soul somehow subverted to the positive energy plane in death. The souls of the dead wander the plane for ages trying to find a way out, some make it, most don't. Those who don't become positrixes, mad lost souls that roam the Positive Energy Plane looking for a soul to follow into a more appropriate afterlife. They are almost all completely mad, doing all they can to leave the positive energy plane on the backs of other souls no matter the cost.

Positrixes are immune to all the negative effects of the Positive Energy plane.

Despite their female appearance, positrixes are genderless. Positrixes weigh 110 pounds and stand about 5 and a half feet tall. They almost never speak, but they understand common, draconic, celestial and infernal.

COMBAT
Positrixes will always attack with natural weapons unless something else is completely necesarry. If finding themselves in too much danger they fly as far away as possible to regain lost hitpoints and come back to continue their assault on their weakened foe.
Some positrixes will attempt to heal up their enemies as to expose them to the negative effects of their native plane.The positrixes who use this tactic are often the most fearsome of their kind.

Aura of Life-stealing (Su): The positrix is a creature that is both a victem of and parasite to the Positive energy plane, constantly sucking in its energy for itself. Any living creature within 30 feet of a positrix does not gain the fast healing benefit of the Positive Energy plane. This aura does not counteract the excess hitpoints a character may recieve as temporary hitpoints due to healing magic, and they still suffer all the penalties for too many excess hitpoints. Conversely, any undead creature within 30 feet of a positrix takes all the penalties of the plane twofold.
Anyone within the same radius recieve all the damage the positrix takes during a round. For example, Regdar, Tordek and Lidda are all within 30 feet of a positrix. Regdar swings his sword and strikes it, dealing 15 points of damage. Regdar, Tordek, Lidda and the positrix all take this slashing damage.
This aura is represented as a brilliant white corona of light surrounding it, illuminating a 30 foot area around it with bright light, and dim illumination for another 30 feet.

Flight (Su): Positrixes may stop or resume flight as a free action.

Madness (Ex): Positrixes use their Charisma modifier on Will saves instead of their Wisdom modifier, and have immunity to confusion and insanity effects. A positrix cannot be restored to sanity by any means short of a miracle or wish spell.

Positive subtype: The fast healing granted by major positive-dominant planes does not grant positrixes temporary hp. Spells and effects employing negative energy deal 50% more damage to a positrix on a failed save.

Soul Snare (Su): The madness that drives a positrix to carry on have caused these creatures to evolve a way to accomplish their goal. Whenever a positrix hits with any natural weapon, the victem must succeed on a Will saving throw (DC 20) or take 1d6 Charisma damage. When a creature's Charisma reaches 0, the creatures soul becomes proporty of the positrix, killing the subject and the positrix will attempt to follow the soul to its destined plane. Creatures killed using this ability may still be raised as normal.

Spectral Shield (Su): Due to the positrix's supernatural nature, they radiate powerful magic. They may add their Charisma modifier as a deflection modifier to their Armor Class.

Spell-like Abilities: at will - cure light wounds, light, command; 3/day - Cure Serious wounds, Suggestion; 1/day - Heal. DC's are Charisma based.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-23, 01:37 AM
Crap, I didn't add a poll... Or an indication in the title...
I sort of wanted this to be MitPg. If it's possible, tell me your votes? Yes? No?

adanedhel9
2007-06-23, 09:19 AM
Crap, I didn't add a poll... Or an indication in the title...
I sort of wanted this to be MitPg. If it's possible, tell me your votes? Yes? No?

You should be able to change the title by hitting Edit and editing the title box. Polls are disabled at the moment, so everyone's either voting in the thread or by PMing the organizers.

Interesting concept... I might have to steal/adapt this for my campaign world.

Average hp should be 58 (always round down).

On the AC line, shouldn't the Dex mod be +5?

As far as I know, a secondary attack remains a secondary attack when used on a standard attack. So the bite attack on the Attack line should still be +9 (1d6+1).

'Normal' claw damage for a medium creature is 1d4. If you want its claws to deal more, that's fine; just want to make sure you recognize that.

Why isn't this undead? It seems to be an undead creature, but instead it's an outsider. You could make it an Undead (Extraplanar).

First glance, it looks like the CR could be a little higher, say 10?

I don't think this thing should have a LA; I can't really see it being used by players.

The description of Aura of Life Stealing seems a little rushed. While I was able to understand it, it took me a few passes before I really got it. You might want to break it up into several paragraphs and add some clarifying text.

I'm a fan on reusing existing rules; is there any reason you didn't use the Madness ability (from the Derro) instead of your Insanity?

The last sentance of Soul Snare needs rewording; I can't figure out what you're trying to say there.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-23, 01:55 PM
Fixed everything. Though I have a reason for keeping them outsiders. They're not so much entirely lost souls, they're souls in the same way devils, demons and so forth are souls. They've wondered the plane congealing the positive energy onto themselves for so long that it suffuses into them.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-23, 02:17 PM
I like it. Can they actually follow souls to other plains or is it a futile effort?

MitP: Yes

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-23, 10:22 PM
I like it. Can they actually follow souls to other plains or is it a futile effort?

They actually do, but it doesn't usually mean it's a better place to be once they've gotten there.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-27, 06:00 AM
:smallbiggrin: *bump*

Callix
2007-06-27, 06:26 AM
Victim has two i's, and vulnerability has an e.

The whole positive energy stuff is cool, and their not being undead makes them not turn/rebukeable. It's kinda cool, but I'm not sure I'm eligible to vote... Sorry Krimm.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-27, 06:36 AM
Victim has two i's, and vulnerability has an e.

The whole positive energy stuff is cool, and their not being undead makes them not turn/rebukeable. It's kinda cool, but I'm not sure I'm eligible to vote... Sorry Krimm.

What stops you being?

Matthew
2007-06-28, 10:13 PM
Skills:

[12 x (8 + 0)] = 96

Concentration 10(12)
Diplomacy 2(6)
Hide 8(13)
Intimidate 12(16)
Knowledge (the planes) 12(12)
Listen 10(9)
Move Silently 8(13)
Sense Motive 12(11)
Spellcraft 6(6)
Spot 10(9)
Survival 8(7) (+9 on other planes)

Looks like you might be two points over, Krimm (or maybe I am missing a Synergy Bonus).

Callix
2007-06-28, 10:30 PM
Why I can't vote: I haven't contributed anything to MitP. I just have a few ideas on fixing things, not making new monsters myself. I might give it a go, and then I'd vote for this.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-28, 11:06 PM
Skills:

[12 x (8 + 0)] = 96

Concentration 10(12)
Diplomacy 2(6)
Hide 8(13)
Intimidate 12(16)
Knowledge (the planes) 12(12)
Listen 10(9)
Move Silently 8(13)
Sense Motive 12(11)
Spellcraft 6(6)
Spot 10(9)
Survival 8(7) (+9 on other planes)

Looks like you might be two points over, Krimm (or maybe I am missing a Synergy Bonus).

Yes, there's the synergy bonus to Diplomacy because of the Sense Motive.

Poppatomus
2007-06-28, 11:11 PM
Mitp vote: Yes

Matthew
2007-06-28, 11:34 PM
Yes, there's the synergy bonus to Diplomacy because of the Sense Motive.
Righto, then. I like it; a pretty cool idea and mechanically well executed.

MitP: Yes

Anxe
2007-06-30, 07:46 AM
That's a good monster there. Not sure it's quite CR 10, but whatever. Mitp: Yes

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-04, 05:38 PM
Glad it's getting such positive attention. Anyone else want to contribute votes/suggestions?

Icewalker
2007-07-05, 08:46 AM
Cool, cool, I like it.

Few typos in the charisma steal one.

Quite cool. I may find a way to use these. Mitp vote: yes

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-17, 03:55 AM
C'mon everyone, just two more votes and my china-skinned beauty is in it! :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2007-07-17, 06:29 AM
Nice monster, Krimm. A question though: if they died, & their souls ended up on another plane (albeit an Inner Plane, which is unusual for a petitioner), then why aren't they considered undead? What is the reasoning behind them being considered outsiders? Is this just an artistic desire, or is there a defined justification?

Either way:
MitP Vote: Yes
Maximum yoinkage.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-17, 02:39 PM
Nice monster, Krimm. A question though: if they died, & their souls ended up on another plane (albeit an Inner Plane, which is unusual for a petitioner), then why aren't they considered undead? What is the reasoning behind them being considered outsiders? Is this just an artistic desire, or is there a defined justification?

Either way:
Maximum yoinkage.

Well, the way I've always seen it is when a creature dies and goes on to another plane, they aren't infused with negative energy all that often. I think creatures that pass on are more like outsiders, more like petitioners. And if that isn't enough, I think them being in the positive energy plane so long that they begin to absorb it's essence and become part of it means they'll be an outsider attached to the Positive Energy Plane in the same sense an Archon is to Celestia.
And thank you very much.:smallbiggrin:

A Gray Phantom
2007-07-17, 02:49 PM
I thought most creatures that lived in the positive energy plane were good?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-17, 06:16 PM
I thought most creatures that lived in the positive energy plane were good?

It has no alignment traits. The one creature native to it in the Monster Manual is true nuetral.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-18, 10:45 AM
Are positrixes still restricted to positrix form if their sanity is restored (since, the way the turning is described, I would guess they adopt the form of the positrix when they lose their sanity)?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-18, 02:43 PM
Are positrixes still restricted to positrix form if their sanity is restored (since, the way the turning is described, I would guess they adopt the form of the positrix when they lose their sanity)?

They remain a positrix is they regain their sanity. Their forms are more or less physically permenant, though they might regain a semblence of their former life as though they were a soul.

Matthew
2007-07-29, 11:43 PM
Would that just be at the DM's discretion or do you have a mechanic in mind?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-29, 11:51 PM
Would that just be at the DM's discretion or do you have a mechanic in mind?

That should probably be up to the DM. Alot of this was left vague so it'd be easier to fit into any DM's personal agenda.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-30, 07:35 PM
The Flight special ability entry is unnecessary, since that's more or less implicit in it's flight speed. I mean, it moves where it wants, and it stops where it wants. What possible purpose could that ability serve?

Also, instead of giving it an ability called "Negative Energy Vulnerability," you may want to borrow the Positive subtype I created for my Life Elemental entry.

Positive subtype: The fast healing granted by major positive-dominant planes does not grant life elementals temporary hp. Spells and effects employing negative energy deal 50% more damage to a life elemental on a failed save.

You'd replace the references to life elementals to positrixes, obviously.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-30, 08:09 PM
The Flight special ability entry is unnecessary, since that's more or less implicit in it's flight speed. I mean, it moves where it wants, and it stops where it wants. What possible purpose could that ability serve?

Also, instead of giving it an ability called "Negative Energy Vulnerability," you may want to borrow the Positive subtype I created for my Life Elemental entry.

You'd replace the references to life elementals to positrixes, obviously.

I like that, I'll use it.

DracoDei
2007-07-31, 02:04 PM

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-01, 03:07 PM

Hey, I think this is the vote needed to drag this beastie into being accepted. :biggrin: Thank you!

DracoDei
2007-08-01, 06:09 PM
You are welcome....
...so have you looked at my Giraffe-a-pump yet? I recently added more fluff, including nicknames.