PDA

View Full Version : Computer Iaijutsu in games?

Ninja_Grand
2016-04-18, 11:53 PM
Im on a bit of a Iaijutsu kick, and was wondering if any game had such a style with it. It could be any type of game where the style is a option, not just the main path. Im on PC with Ok specs, so anything goes.

Cespenar
2016-04-19, 12:30 AM
Way of the Samurai 4 had a Iaijutsu style or two, IIRC. This is a rather specific request though.

Rodin
2016-04-19, 01:00 AM
Katana weapons in Dark Souls 3 have an Iajutsu mode - you can either counter the enemy with it or quick-draw into an attack.

Most indepth depiction of that style I've seen was in an old game called Bushido Blade 2, where one of the characters had his entire fighting style devoted to it.

Ninja_Grand
2016-04-19, 01:30 AM
Way of the Samurai 4 had a Iaijutsu style or two, IIRC. This is a rather specific request though.

True, but I can count on you guys for help. Google fu just dosent cut it with things like this. Looking into the game now.

Spacewolf
2016-04-19, 01:32 AM

I've looked into Way of the Samurai a few times is it actually any good? The screen shots for it on Steam are just bizarre.

TaRix
2016-04-19, 01:32 AM
Iaijutsu... that's the strike-while-drawing thing, right?

Well, the following stretch it a bit...

The Dynasty Warriors series (from 4 onwards) features Zhou Tai, who uses the draw-style with his out-of-place katana.

One of the main characters in Wild Arms (1 and Alter Code:F) whacks enemies with his be-scabbarded blade, unless he's spending MP.

I'm sure there's someone in the Soul Caliber fighting series that has at least some of those moves.

Oh, Link can pull off something like that in Skyward sword, I think, but it's risky.

It's probably in other Way of the Samurai games, too. 3 comes to mind.

If iaijutsu isn't what I think it is, then it's probably in Soul Calibur anyways.

Cespenar
2016-04-19, 03:33 AM
I've looked into Way of the Samurai a few times is it actually any good? The screen shots for it on Steam are just bizarre.

It's good, and a little bit strange. The combat is pretty enjoyable, but there are some pretty unpolished parts in the rest of the game. I assume if you go into it without any expectations other than its combat, it'd be okay.

DemonicAngel
2016-04-19, 05:58 AM
Doesn't Virgil in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition use this style? Might be worth a look

Otomodachi
2016-04-19, 04:21 PM
Johnny from the Guilty Gear series of 2d fighters uses Iaijutsu as the basis of his moveset. Also throws coins at people, is a sky pirate, and is a shoutout to Johnny Cash if any of those do it for you. I THINK the last version released was Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core but I'm sure you can wikipedia it if interested.

If you enjoy street fighter, you'll prolly like Gear.

CarpeGuitarrem
2016-04-19, 08:09 PM
Johnny from the Guilty Gear series of 2d fighters uses Iaijutsu as the basis of his moveset. Also throws coins at people, is a sky pirate, and is a shoutout to Johnny Cash if any of those do it for you. I THINK the last version released was Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core but I'm sure you can wikipedia it if interested.

If you enjoy street fighter, you'll prolly like Gear.
Guilty Gear is up to the Guilty Gear Xrd series now. :smallsmile: Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- is the latest one. (I think it might even be Japan-only currently.)

Steam currently has Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R (http://store.steampowered.com/app/348550/) and Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (http://store.steampowered.com/app/376300/). (It also has X2#Reload (http://store.steampowered.com/app/314030/) if you're on a nostalgia kick.)

Blackhawk748
2016-04-19, 08:28 PM
For Soul Calibur Mitsurugi has a few Iaijustu moves but Alpha Patreculos from Soul Calibur V's entire fighting style is built around it. Oh and Setuska uses a similar style to Patreculos in SC IV except she is drawing out of an umbrella.

Crow
2016-04-20, 12:10 AM
The Dynasty Warriors series (from 4 onwards) features Zhou Tai, who uses the draw-style with his out-of-place katana.

That's the one I though of too. I played the hell out of that character. It was pretty fun.

Ninja_Grand
2016-04-20, 12:28 AM
For Soul Calibur Mitsurugi has a few Iaijustu moves but Alpha Patreculos from Soul Calibur V's entire fighting style is built around it. Oh and Setuska uses a similar style to Patreculos in SC IV except she is drawing out of an umbrella.

Haha I have SCV sitting at a friends house. Cant believe I didn't thing of Alpha. We used to joke that only real samurai could play him, due to how hard he is to use. Will be playing it again soon.