PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best level to pop in and take 3 levels rogue?

Spacehamster
2016-04-19, 01:46 AM
So as a more shady shadow monk that wants 3 levels rogue(assassin), when do you guys think it would be best to go and get them 3 levels? After level 5 and 2nd attack or after level 6(shadow step), or maybe 8 for 2nd ASI?

Gtdead
2016-04-19, 01:53 AM
For just a 3 lvl dip, do it after reaching DEX 20. I'm not sure that it's a good decision though. Don't forget that monk has stunning strike, which guarantees criticals.

Spacehamster
2016-04-19, 01:58 AM
For just a 3 lvl dip, do it after reaching DEX 20. I'm not sure that it's a good decision though. Don't forget that monk has stunning strike, which guarantees criticals.

Oh did not know it guaranteed crits just by stunning ppl just thought it well stunned them and kept them from acting for a round. :O So just 1 level rogue then for expertise?

EvilestWeevil
2016-04-19, 03:10 AM
I say just stick with monk, the monk is one of the most solid classes in the game. They seemed to be very aware of what it is supposed to be, a secondary fighter that hits and runs.

Spacehamster
2016-04-19, 03:11 AM
I say just stick with monk, the monk is one of the most solid classes in the game. They seemed to be very aware of what it is supposed to be, a secondary fighter that hits and runs.

True but I want a sneakier monk and a pure monk has no way to get expertise and sneak attack. :) and you miss nothing by not getting lvl 20 monk.

EvilestWeevil
2016-04-19, 03:28 AM
Fair enough, but if you are going 3 levels of rogue, go swashbuckler. You still get expertise, you can sneak attack targets with no one next to them (which is great for shadow step), get to move away from them without provoking and if you have some charisma you get an initiative bump. Get shadow step first, because thats just awesome.

Blue Lantern
2016-04-19, 07:31 AM
Definitely after lvl 6 to get the shadow step, if you want sneak attack though 3 levels of rogue gives you very little.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-04-19, 08:27 AM
Definitely after lvl 6 to get the shadow step, if you want sneak attack though 3 levels of rogue gives you very little.
I second this. Take one level for Expertise, two for Cunning Action or three for subclass goodies; Sneak Attack will be a nice boost but not a huge one.

Foxhound438
2016-04-19, 12:07 PM

Oh did not know it guaranteed crits just by stunning ppl just thought it well stunned them and kept them from acting for a round. :O So just 1 level rogue then for expertise?

man, you guys need to double check your status effects.

To the OP, do it after level 8. Max your dex, get evasion, and put off those... eh, not great levels 9 and 10 until you have your rogue stuff.

Gtdead
2016-04-19, 12:23 PM

Damn sorry, I was wrong, I was confused with Paralysis. You were right it doesn't, it just gives advantage.