PDA

View Full Version : Fixing TWF

Spacehamster
2016-04-19, 02:38 AM
remove all other ways to get a bonus attack, xcpt monk flurry and martial arts. Would
this fix it so its about as good as other styles?

Parra
2016-04-19, 02:39 AM
You dont fix something poor by making everything else worse

Spacehamster
2016-04-19, 02:41 AM
You dont fix something poor by making everything else worse

You can, and it would be a simple fix, either that or let the TWF feat grant you an additional bonus
attack from your bonus action.

I mean in 3.5 you could get 3 offhand attacks so kinda super stupid that you only get one in 5e. -.-

Parra
2016-04-19, 03:12 AM
You can, and it would be a simple fix, either that or let the TWF feat grant you an additional bonus
attack from your bonus action.

I mean in 3.5 you could get 3 offhand attacks so kinda super stupid that you only get one in 5e. -.-

Not really. They are different games.

You could just let the off-hand attack by part of the standard attack and ignore the bonus action requirement.

Spacehamster
2016-04-19, 03:20 AM
Not really. They are different games.

You could just let the off-hand attack by part of the standard attack and ignore the bonus action requirement.

still leaves you with the fact that you get the same amount of attacks as others even tho you have double the amount of weapons.

HoarsHalberd
2016-04-19, 03:44 AM
still leaves you with the fact that you get the same amount of attacks as others even tho you have double the amount of weapons.

And that makes sense because unlike 3.5 you don't have the penalties to hit for dual wielding, so just head canon it as all the other little flashes of your blades are all misses.

Lollerabe
2016-04-19, 03:47 AM
Check out the rend home brew mechanic,that quite a few of us (people on gitp) are using.

You def don't nerf every other feature to make one feature shine, bring TWF in line with other fightstyles don't nerf martial classes across the board to make TWF seem less sucky.

Kryx
2016-04-19, 03:54 AM
Check out the rend home brew mechanic,that quiet a few of us (people on gitp) are using.

You def don't nerf every other feature to make one feature shine, bring TWF in line with other fightstyles don't nerf martial classes across the board to make TWF seem less sucky.
Agreed. I was heavily involved in the TWF discussions and either a second attack at 11+ or the rend feature are the best mathematical fixes.

In the end I went with:

If you have the Extra Attack Class Feature at level 11 you can make two attacks with the different light weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.
I have all the math on the DPR of classes google doc linked in my sig.

Giant2005
2016-04-19, 04:49 AM
Give the feat (or maybe make it just a default option when wielding two melee weapons) an extra ability that enables you to use your bonus action to give yourself advantage on all attacks.
It makes sense thematically (rather than using the weapon to strike, you use it to feint and apply the pressure of a possible strike) as it basically amounts to using a second weapon to give yourself the help action.
Then it is useful for everyone - high level Fighters will make great use of many attacks with advantage, while Paladins/Barbarians will make great use of having an extra attack that is beefed up by their class damage bonuses. Even the Monk would have cause to consider dual-wielding: he might not get any extra attacks but he would gain the option of attacking with advantage in case he really needed to land a Stunning Strike or cancel any disadvantage on attacks currently being imposed upon him.

Zman
2016-04-19, 08:47 AM
If you have the Extra Attack Class Feature at level 11 you can make two attacks with the different light weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.

Yep, this is by far the best fix.

Demonic Spoon
2016-04-19, 09:37 AM
Yep, this is by far the best fix.

For every class? How does this work with classes that don't normally get additional weapon damage at 11 (e.g. barbarians)?

Kryx
2016-04-19, 10:18 AM
For every class? How does this work with classes that don't normally get additional weapon damage at 11 (e.g. barbarians)?
I've implemented that fix for all classes on my DPR of Classes spreadsheet and it is in line with other choices. Especially if you don't nerf -5/+10 like I have (then it still falls behind, but is at least better)

The only ones I'd be worried about are the irregular ones - Paladin TWF and Barbarian TWF due to the bonus damage. But as mentioned above if you still have -5/+10 then there are 0 concerns.

X3r4ph
2016-04-19, 10:33 AM
We are considering doing the following:

All character can Dual Wield, if they so choose, and gain the benefit from the feat if they do. Because, come on, how sucky is it, right?

All characters have access to a Lesser Power Attack, and can use it with all their weapons.
Lesser Power Attack is half your proficiency bonus as penalty to hit in exchange for your proficiency bonus to damage.

Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter lets you sack your entire proficiency bonus to hit in exchange for double your proficiency to damage.

Vogonjeltz
2016-04-19, 06:01 PM
remove all other ways to get a bonus attack, xcpt monk flurry and martial arts. Would
this fix it so its about as good as other styles?

It...it already is as good as the other styles.

TWF provides up to +5 to one attack.

Dueling provides +2 on attacks made while wielding a single weapon one-handed which adds anywhere between +2 and +4 for non fighters and +8 for fighters (but only at 20th level).

GWF effectively adds: +1.333 to a greatsword attacks, +0.8 to polearms, +0.83333 to greataxe. Even in the best case scenario (greatsword) it's only ever going to eclipse the additional damage from TWF by 20th level (i.e. at 4 attacks).

TWF is mathematically fine.

Zman
2016-04-19, 07:20 PM

It isn't much of a problem.

Barbarian
Levels 1-5
D12+Str vs 2d6+Str = .5Damage advantage for TWF

Levels 6-10
2D12+2xStr vs 3d6+2xStr = 2.5Damage advantage For GWF

Levels 11+
2d12+2xStr vs 4d6+2xStr = 1Damage Advantage for TWF

At base it is pretty balanced, now feats can sway his, i.e. Bigger damage die for TWF vs Bonus action attacks and Power Attack. Advantage GWF.

Rage.... Yeah, this benefits the multiple attacks and can net an additional 2xRage Bonus to Damage. A Barbarian dipping Fighter for TWF nets 2xStr. Advantage TWF.

Basically a Barbarian that dips Fighter for TWF and takes Dual Wielder is right on par with a Great Weapon Master. Advantage TWF.

This is pretty balanced considering without Dual Wielder they are limited to Light Weapons, if using magic weapons it now takes finding a second weapon i.e. An opportunity cost.

Math makes it a pretty balanced option with or without feats.