PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Steampunk Inspiration

kasubot
2007-06-23, 02:29 AM
I am trying to do a bit of homebrewing and creating a steampunk world for a campaign I want to run.

The problem is that I need some inspiration for the campaign settings. Especally in the area of classes. I dont want the typical D&D classes and i am not creative/dedicated enough to make up my own.

Inspiration for the world is a amalgam of Girl Genius and FFXII with a little bit of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Any references I could look at or other resources? not to mention any hints on what would be good for technology ideas.

Iku Rex
2007-06-23, 03:22 AM
Dragonmech (http://www.goodman-games.com/WW17600preview.php) looks like the kind of setting you have in mind. (I haven't tried it.) Could be useful.

The Eberron Campaign Setting (http://www.amazon.com/Eberron-Campaign-Setting-Core-Rules/dp/0786932740/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9298850-7229422?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182585137&sr=8-1) isn't exactly steampunk, but it's got some of what you're looking for, like an artificer class.

kasubot
2007-06-23, 03:33 AM
Maybe I am thinking. That for classes I could just come up with a generic fighter type class that everyone has to chose but let them pick and choose what feats they take to customize it, kind of like a storyteller character.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-23, 03:34 AM
If you can find it, Arcanum by Sierra. Though much of the development team was the one from Fallout.

Great game. Deals with some issues like racism, and a number of issues having to do with a world entering the industrial revolution.

Jack Mann
2007-06-23, 04:15 AM
China Mieville's Bas-Lag novels have a fair amount of steam punk in them, and even have a fair bit of D&D influence. They even had an issue of Dragon Magazine (#352) that show-cased the world and statted some things out (though only a few were actually technological).

Pronounceable
2007-06-23, 06:17 AM
Making up new classes from scratch is a very hard thing, especially if game balance is a major concern. Same effort (or probably less) would be spent on creating some sort of point system. Balancing points is much easier than balancing entire blocks of abilities.

So it's the PLAYERS who need to worry about making "classes"... Mwahahahaha! (er, sorry about that).

Nebo_
2007-06-23, 07:59 AM
Check out Iron Kingdoms by Privateer Press.

DeathQuaker
2007-06-23, 08:06 AM
Seconding Iron Kingdoms. The feel of the world is a little darker (sootier?) than the likes of Girl Genius and League of EG, but a number of the classes should be well adaptable to what you have in mind, and the stats for the steamjacks and warjacks are probably suitable if you want something along the lines of "Clanks."

Iku Rex
2007-06-23, 08:16 AM
Maybe I am thinking. Then maybe you are.

sorry

Lord Tataraus
2007-06-24, 01:29 AM
I will second China Mieville's Bas-Lag novels, they have inspired me to design a steampunk campaign set in Bas-Lag.