PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How many magic items are equivalent to a level-up?

Brendanicus
2016-04-19, 09:49 AM
So, I'm planning a campaign that will go from levels 7 to 10, but there's an awesome BBEG that the players won't be able to take on until level 11. Instead of just leveling up the party more, I figure I'd just shower them with loot. So, Playgrounds, how many/what kinds of magic items would make a level 10 party functionally level 11 in terms of power level?

EDIT: I'm not literally replacing a level-up with loot. My group just doesn't have the time to reach level 11. Therefore, I'm just going to sprinkle a lot of loot throughout the campaign so that by the time the group is fighting serious **** near the end of the campaign, they are more prepared than they normally would be.

Sander
2016-04-19, 10:02 AM
Short answer? A whole lot. Long answer? Well, it honestly depends on the party make-up, but lv.11 is HUGE for most classes. More than just mechanical bonuses, we're talking the fighter's 3rd attack, barbarians' "I didn't die anyway" feature and casters getting 6th level spells. These "bonuses" are major gamechangers for that particular class. As such, I'd imagine you'd have a hard time making up for them by giving the players magical items. Obviously, it could be done. Showering the party with +2/+3 items or whatnot would make them - power-wise - good to go. However, also consider how your players might feel. Now, I don't know you or your players, but my table, and myself, would be kinda pissed if the DM suddenly decided to exchange gaining levels with getting loot. Rather, we prefer loot to be a supplement to a character's prowess, not a substitute for a level. A great magical weapon is nice, for sure, but it's no subsitute for gaining that 3rd attack or that new spell level. Just a thought.

kaoskonfety
2016-04-19, 10:52 AM
the players won't be able to take on until level 11.

That's a very interesting and specific issue... While I'll agree that level 11 is pretty meaty for most of the classes, I have to ask what exactly is preventing a Level 10 party from dealing with an issue a Level 11 party can manage?

I'd argue many of the combative Legendary or Very Rare items could do it for "balance tipping" a level 10 to 11.

1-2 *good* expendable item each (strength, resistance or top end healing potions scattered about, maybe a level 5-7 spell scroll or 2) would be my suggestion though.

NewDM
2016-04-19, 11:31 AM
A magic weapon is worth 4 levels per +1.
Magic armor is only worth a feat.

An item that has 5-10 charges per day and replicates 3 spells is worth about 3-4 levels for a spell casting class.

Depending on the item or the class level it can vary.

Douche
2016-04-19, 11:50 AM
A magic weapon is worth 4 levels per +1.
Magic armor is only worth a feat.

An item that has 5-10 charges per day and replicates 3 spells is worth about 3-4 levels for a spell casting class.

Depending on the item or the class level it can vary.

How can a +1 on a weapon be worth 4 levels? Because that's when you get an ASI? You get a lot of other stuff in between those other 3 levels, breh. That direct comparison doesn't make too much sense.

eastmabl
2016-04-19, 12:09 PM
How can a +1 on a weapon be worth 4 levels? Because that's when you get an ASI? You get a lot of other stuff in between those other 3 levels, breh. That direct comparison doesn't make too much sense.

That's when your proficiency bonus goes up. Holding all else constant, a 1st level character with a magic weapon (prof+stat+magic = 3 + stat; damage die + stat + 1 [magic]) attacks slightly better than a 5th level character with a mundane weapon (prof + stat + magic = 3 + stat; damage die + stat but no magic).

Also, players who multiclass don't get an ASI/four levels.

Fable Wright
2016-04-19, 01:13 PM
A Staff of the Woodlands might be worth level 11, to a Druid though it won't stay worth a level for long. A Dancing Sword effectively gives your fighter a third attack, which might be worth it when combined with e.g. a Tome for buffed Strength. A couple Ioun Stones or a Tome of Dex for your rogue may make the difference for him. A Cleric... really, intangible benefits work well, here, such as a few guaranteed invocations of Divine Intervention, though staves or similar wouldn't be amiss. It really depends on the characters in the party; who are you catering the levels to, here?

Douche
2016-04-21, 09:53 AM
That's when your proficiency bonus goes up. Holding all else constant, a 1st level character with a magic weapon (prof+stat+magic = 3 + stat; damage die + stat + 1 [magic]) attacks slightly better than a 5th level character with a mundane weapon (prof + stat + magic = 3 + stat; damage die + stat but no magic).

Also, players who multiclass don't get an ASI/four levels.

But you don't hold all else constant.

A +1 to hit and damage =/= the additional spell slots, health points, abilities, class features, etc.

So how can you say a +1 sword is equivalent to the difference between level 10 and 14? The guy only wants to take his campaign to level 10 but wants them to be functionally equivalent to level 11. But by your logic, he should just give them a +1 weapon and leave them at level 7 for the entire campaign.

Your logic is illogical