PDA

View Full Version : newbie : what lvl do you get magic inaite- ek with eldritch blast and hex - thoughts

Night Eternal
2016-04-19, 10:13 AM
hi what lvl can you get magic inaite

Im a lvl 4 ek and looking to get this feat so I can get eldritch blast and hex from warlock. First off what lvl can I get this feat.

Second what do you guy think of the combo

hymer
2016-04-19, 10:21 AM
If you play a Variant Human, you can start with the feat. For anyone else, you must advance to level 4 in one class, which grants you an Ability Score Increase, which you can trade in for a feat. That feat can be Magic Initiate.

The damage potential for Eldritch Blast + Hex is decent at level five, at least if you have the Charisma to back it up. But it scales poorly, like all basic combat cantrips. Depending on your character, you may well come to rue the choice before long.

treecko
2016-04-19, 10:27 AM
The only reason eldritch blast is good is the synergy between the agonizing blast invocation and it. Without that, it will fall behind to fighter attacks. Hex is still good, though. If you're set on eldritch blast, either dip 2 levels of warlock(which is bad for a variety of reasons), or just play a warlock/sorlock.

gfishfunk
2016-04-19, 10:43 AM
To answer your question: now, at level 4 if that is what you want to do.

Hex is always great. Eldritch Blast scales okay, but you will get the most mileage out of it right now. Its not going to be a silver bullet style, best of everything type ability, but it is certainly the best cantrip damage that you can get your hands on.

I would not wait - not because its too good not to get, but because the most use you will get will be in the next few levels.

Night Eternal
2016-04-19, 11:00 AM
I think that hex with the all of the extra attacks that an ek get would be great. I figure if a cast it first and then hit with eldritch blast it increase the hit and then at lvl 5 I can add the extra attack.

Do you guy have a different suggestion rather then eldritch blast that would work

PeteNutButter
2016-04-19, 11:14 AM
I think that hex with the all of the extra attacks that an ek get would be great. I figure if a cast it first and then hit with eldritch blast it increase the hit and then at lvl 5 I can add the extra attack.

Do you guy have a different suggestion rather then eldritch blast that would work

Extra attack is only attacks not cantrips or spells just attacking, so that wouldn't work. EKs do get an ability at lvl 7 that would let you do a cantrip and then make a single attack as a bonus action which works, but hex is also a bonus action so there is conflict.
If you use the level 7 ability you can make a blast and then an attack but this is most viable with a ranged attack, otherwise you might be taking disadvantage for the blast for being in melee.

Night Eternal
2016-04-19, 11:25 AM
The only reason eldritch blast is good is the synergy between the agonizing blast invocation and it. Without that, it will fall behind to fighter attacks. Hex is still good, though. If you're set on eldritch blast, either dip 2 levels of warlock(which is bad for a variety of reasons), or just play a warlock/sorlock.

y do you think dipping would be bad. I just read a tread where a lot of being are saying that is breaks the game in a good way

Specter
2016-04-19, 11:48 AM
I believe he says dipping is bad in this case because you would need 13 Charisma to multiclass to Warlock (which you shouldn't have as an EK).

Hex is a solid choice, but Eldritch Blast not so much, because you need Agonizing Blast to make it work as mentioned. For cantrips take instead:

- Booming Blade (good without War Magic, and very good with it);
- Frostbite (it gives you a ranged option, and also an option for times when you have disadvantage on your attack).

This is all assuming you're melee, of course. The guide in my signature might help.

ShirAhn
2016-04-19, 12:25 PM
I made a eldritch knight just the other way. I play him as a soldier who died in battle. His body was trampled in the mud. After a unknown period of time he wakes up and lives once more. Some power brought him back for a reason unknown.

I choose the variant human so I could get the feat at level 1. I thought it was important he would get some spells at level 1. I choose the feat that gives the 2 cantrips and 1 spell.

Cantrips:

Booming blade: i talked to my dm and convinced him to change the spell to green glow and necrotic damage. This way it fits perfectly with the revenant theme. Also booming blade is really strong and just made for ek.

Minor Illusion: i just love the spell, it gives many oppurtunities outside combat.

Honorable mention: lightning lasso
Its great to use a cantrip to pull someone closer and than smack em in the face.

Spells: i thought about this allot, you only get 1 use a day so it would have to be something special. Something unique and very powerfull in the right situation.

Hex has everything i want, its really strong vs 1 enemy because you get many attacks with the knight. Each one giving a extra 1d6. And against a group, you can keep using the spell untill everything around you lies dead.

Also it provides disadvantage, this is usefull untill you get eldritch strike.

Hex is the true winner if you are going warlock route, it also doesnt require any charisma at all. So no need to worry about saving roles etc.

Hope this helps

Night Eternal
2016-04-19, 12:43 PM
I believe he says dipping is bad in this case because you would need 13 Charisma to multiclass to Warlock (which you shouldn't have as an EK).

Hex is a solid choice, but Eldritch Blast not so much, because you need Agonizing Blast to make it work as mentioned. For cantrips take instead:

- Booming Blade (good without War Magic, and very good with it);
- Frostbite (it gives you a ranged option, and also an option for times when you have disadvantage on your attack).

This is all assuming you're melee, of course. The guide in my signature might help.

these are my stats

Stats:
Strength 16 (+3)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 18 (+4)
Wisdom 15 (+2)
Charisma 15 (+2)

I actually haven't invested any points in them yet. So my charisma already at a 15. I found your sig on another post it been great help trying to figure things out and the magic inciate. post had be coming up with this idea. ( thanks :) ) my character rp was has been on a quest for power to try and defeat the king who had cuased the fall of his city and was at fualt in his parents death and was mascading as the savoir of the people while working with the demons. So the warlock dip might actually make sence . anyway how would dip affect the game play

Night Eternal
2016-04-19, 12:52 PM
I made a eldritch knight just the other way. I play him as a soldier who died in battle. His body was trampled in the mud. After a unknown period of time he wakes up and lives once more. Some power brought him back for a reason unknown.

I choose the variant human so I could get the feat at level 1. I thought it was important he would get some spells at level 1. I choose the feat that gives the 2 cantrips and 1 spell.

Cantrips:

Booming blade: i talked to my dm and convinced him to change the spell to green glow and necrotic damage. This way it fits perfectly with the revenant theme. Also booming blade is really strong and just made for ek.

Minor Illusion: i just love the spell, it gives many oppurtunities outside combat.

Honorable mention: lightning lasso
Its great to use a cantrip to pull someone closer and than smack em in the face.

Spells: i thought about this allot, you only get 1 use a day so it would have to be something special. Something unique and very powerfull in the right situation.

Hex has everything i want, its really strong vs 1 enemy because you get many attacks with the knight. Each one giving a extra 1d6. And against a group, you can keep using the spell untill everything around you lies dead.

Also it provides disadvantage, this is usefull untill you get eldritch strike.

Hex is the true winner if you are going warlock route, it also doesnt require any charisma at all. So no need to worry about saving roles etc.

Hope this helps

thanks its good to know that hex works well as an ek. my dm is letting me adjust my charcter as im a newbie to the dice games. so far I have booming blade , green flame blade and shocking grap as my cantrips. I did have firebolt and shocking grap and bladeward. But I wanted to be a swordmage and 5e doesn't have the same features as a swordmage. If I get the magic inaite I would be able to have another 2 cantrips which I was thinging eb for range spell and a combo with hex and I didn't know what for the other cantrip unless I took blade ward back . What do you guys think about the setup. And once again do you think diping is worth it with my stats

ShirAhn
2016-04-19, 01:10 PM
thanks its good to know that hex works well as an ek. my dm is letting me adjust my charcter as im a newbie to the dice games. so far I have booming blade , green flame blade and shocking grap as my cantrips. I did have firebolt and shocking grap and bladeward. But I wanted to be a swordmage and 5e doesn't have the same features as a swordmage. If I get the magic inaite I would be able to have another 2 cantrips which I was thinging eb for range spell and a combo with hex and I didn't know what for the other cantrip unless I took blade ward back . What do you guys think about the setup. And once again do you think diping is worth it with my stats

Im a bit confused why your strength is only 16? You want this 20 asap I think.

Night Eternal
2016-04-19, 01:57 PM
I agree my plan is to get it to 20 as soon as I can. this is actualy one of my problems right now.

at lvl four I gave up stats points for a feat. which I cant even remember what is was so I don't really use. So my dm is leeting me change my character as we go along since this is my first dice game and all the research I had done to play was for a swordmage. which 5e doesn't have. SO he told me to play and ek and when I roled my stats he told me where to put them.

my rolls where 15, 15, 15, 16, 16, and 17 before they got plugged in. I could change that I probally would have put it in 17 strength and 16 in dex and int giving me a a 17 with my race bonus. Anyway when I lvl I would just plug a 1 in int and strength to get them to 18 but I cant.

so now im trying to figure out what is best for my character. should I give up twf and go defense. should I change my feat to magic intiate and do the hex and eb or change it to twf feat for the bonus ac. or take the actualy stats. does twf make any sense with a fighter. yeah I know a lot of questions but as a first time dice player playing the game is the best way to figure what works and what does't so that why im asking everyone help and advive

Vogonjeltz
2016-04-19, 06:02 PM
hi what lvl can you get magic inaite

Im a lvl 4 ek and looking to get this feat so I can get eldritch blast and hex from warlock. First off what lvl can I get this feat.

Second what do you guy think of the combo

Provided your game is allowing feats, you can substitute the ASI you get at 4th level for the feat, it doesn't come with level restrictions per se.

I think it's an extremely bad combo given the stat priorities of the Eldritch Knight. But that's really dependent on what your Charisma is at, it's not the classes casting stat, and it doesn't provide defensive benefits, and it doesn't work on any melee capabilities. So it's generally the dump stat (i.e. in a standard array, it would be score that gets an 8). At which point the blast would have a terrible hit chance.

The EK forte is evocation for area of effect damage and abjuration for defense. That being said, I wouldn't even bother with Magic Initiate for an EK, instead I'd go with Ritual Caster (to start picking up all the Wizard rituals) or Warcaster (to reaction cast spells).

Saggo
2016-04-19, 06:16 PM
The EK forte is evocation for area of effect damage and abjuration for defense. That being said, I wouldn't even bother with Magic Initiate for an EK, instead I'd go with Ritual Caster (to start picking up all the Wizard rituals) or Warcaster (to reaction cast spells).

Mage Initiate is good if you pick Hex, and utility cantrips like Friends, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, or Mage Hand. Hex only gets better the more Extra Attacks you get, and you don't always need or have a buff like Blur or Haste taking Concentration. And it doesn't interfere with Mirror Image.

Night Eternal
2016-04-20, 08:12 AM
Provided your game is allowing feats, you can substitute the ASI you get at 4th level for the feat, it doesn't come with level restrictions per se.

I think it's an extremely bad combo given the stat priorities of the Eldritch Knight. But that's really dependent on what your Charisma is at, it's not the classes casting stat, and it doesn't provide defensive benefits, and it doesn't work on any melee capabilities. So it's generally the dump stat (i.e. in a standard array, it would be score that gets an 8). At which point the blast would have a terrible hit chance.

my charisma is 15 as my dump stat.so I would give my eb some power. but what would you suggest as ritual caster for rituals. I didn't particular see any I liked.

Specter
2016-04-20, 08:42 AM
these are my stats

Stats:
Strength 16 (+3)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 18 (+4)
Wisdom 15 (+2)
Charisma 15 (+2)

I actually haven't invested any points in them yet. So my charisma already at a 15. I found your sig on another post it been great help trying to figure things out and the magic inciate. post had be coming up with this idea. ( thanks :) ) my character rp was has been on a quest for power to try and defeat the king who had cuased the fall of his city and was at fualt in his parents death and was mascading as the savoir of the people while working with the demons. So the warlock dip might actually make sence . anyway how would dip affect the game play

You're welcome.

If you're on a quest for power, making a small bargain for power shouldn't be too weird. Or you can credit these eldritch powers to a curse in your bloodline, pretty much like a tiefling.

And be careful: Without War Caster, you won't be able to use a shield and cast most spells. If playing hasn't started, I would also put 18 in Strenght and 16 in Intelligence.

Vogonjeltz
2016-04-20, 04:42 PM
my charisma is 15 as my dump stat.so I would give my eb some power. but what would you suggest as ritual caster for rituals. I didn't particular see any I liked.

Well, if you're just not interested in them, I'd go with Warcaster for the reaction casting.

Options from Wizard list for the two 1st levels would be:

Alarm
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Find Familiar
Identify
Illusory Script
Tenser's Floating Disk
Unseen Servant

So, utility spells. Alarm is camp security (or even just setting a silent warning in case someone enters an area behind you). A familiar could also fill that role.

Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify and Find Familiar are good exploration tools. Unseen Servant could be repurposed that way as well depending on the situation.

Illusory Script, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic are good for social interaction.

Tenser's Floating Disk is basically a pack mule that can't be killed.

I noticed you mentioned twf, if you do that you'd want Warcaster so you can cast spells while dual-wielding.