PDA

View Full Version : World Building for Sky Pirate Campaign

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 11:43 AM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/CainePorter/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7di75vyv.jpeg

So I'm just running an experiment for the campaign world I'm still building; we've started out in a small kingdom on the main continent to the west of the largest desert in the world...not entirely sure where I want that just yet.

Thing is, I'm not sure how I want it all to look, or what else to add. We'll be taking an airship at some point around the world (Sky Pirates, hooray!) and would like some help building interesting points, adventure hooks, etc.

I know this is vague, but it's world building. You all have free reign to put ideas anywhere you like.

Draconium
2016-04-19, 11:53 AM
You could put an equivalent of El Dorado in this world, and have your pirates be in a search for it/race to get there first. Because let's face it, pirates love their gold. :smallwink:

You could also have one or more empires in the world be out to crush your Golden Age of Sky Piracy, and the players can fight with these soldiers, or join them as privateers.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 12:05 PM
Your second idea is pretty interesting; any ideas for key figures, notable NPCs, ships, locales or otherwise?

Red Fel
2016-04-19, 12:11 PM
Your second idea is pretty interesting; any ideas for key figures, notable NPCs, ships, locales or otherwise?

The simplest way is just to crib Pirates of the Caribbean. Sure, it's a bit cheap, but it places the pieces all there.
There is a golden age of (sky) piracy.
(Sky) pirates are mostly independent sorts, although there is a central group of (sky) pirates that other (sky) pirates may or may not acknowledge, permitting them to band together in times of really major crisis.
There is an empire that wants to crush these pirates and conquer the (skies) for itself.
There is a supernatural element with a particular loathing for both the empire and the (sky) pirates.
There is another supernatural element that is ostensibly allied with the (sky) pirates, but in truth is self-interested.
Fluff the details to taste, and there you go. An entire campaign can be designed around this, and the PCs can interact with the metaplot as much or as little as they like. They can be guerilla heroes, protecting the freedom of the skies from the empire; they can be supernatural adventurers, staving off the efforts of the supernatural antagonist; they can be mystery-seekers, seeking the truth about the supernatural ally of the sky pirates; they can be great military leaders, getting enmeshed in the climactic factional battle between the sides; or they can simply be freelancers, traveling from one skyport to another, seeking fame and fortune.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-19, 12:14 PM
You could put an elemental theme to it: Air versus Earth, aiming to secure the help of either Water or Fire, to deliver a decisive crippling blow to the other. Reckless good/evil cults aim to bring in Negative and Positive, which would drastically alter the dynamics of the overall struggle, and also kill - as by-effect - all life.

Draconium
2016-04-19, 12:19 PM
Another idea is to incorporate multiple world powers and have there be a war between them. As pirates, the players would be a neutral party, but they may choose a side in the war in exchange for amnesty, or play multiple sides in order to strike it which (effectively becoming mercenaries), or stay completely neutral in the fight, causing the war to become a background event for your campaign. Bonus points if the outcome of the war will either cause the Golden Age to end or cause the "Pirate Nation" to grow in power, depending on who wins.

Or, maybe the Golden Age is dying out because of the empire(s), and the players are some of the last holdouts of the famous pirates. They can try to bring about a Silver Age of Piracy, so to say, but they may also be the last of a dying breed. In that case, they may want to try and go out with a bang. Depending on how it's played, it could be a fun campaign to play the last of the great pirates.

For NPCs, you can take inspiration from history, as well as from movies, as Red Gel suggested. They don't even have to be from pirate-themed history and lore. Maybe one of the leaders of the empire is like Napoleon, a brilliant and ruthless conqueror leading his empire to victory. Maybe you have an NPC based off of Blackbeard or Jack Sparrow, an infamous pirate captain the players may have met. There are a lot of possibilities here.

And keep in mind, you can mix and match any of the ideas in this thread until you find one that sticks.

Ferronach
2016-04-19, 12:32 PM
One of the islands/continents could be a lush and densely forested place that once was home to a thriving race of technologically/magically advanced people.
The party bumps into a potential customer who is willing to pay them handsomely to find the lost city, explore it and bring back any artifacts and texts. The customer will sort through and buy what he wants off of them and leave them the rest to with as they please.

Red Fel
2016-04-19, 12:33 PM
For NPCs, you can take inspiration from history, as well as from movies, as Red Gel suggested.

... Red Gel?

http://rs52.pbsrc.com/albums/g1/josegallardo1/Dragon%20Quest%20IX%20Sprites/She-Slime-Bounce.gif~c200

Draconium
2016-04-19, 12:35 PM
... Red Gel?

Heheh, yeah, sorry. Typo. I'm on a tablet right now, it's not that easy to type.

Ferronach
2016-04-19, 12:37 PM
Red Gel = the purely evil gel that Red Fel uses to style his hair into terrifyingly evil forms?

Red Fel
2016-04-19, 12:38 PM
Heheh, yeah, sorry. Typo. I'm on a tablet right now, it's not that easy to type.

I find your excuses unconvincing.

Red Gel = the purely evil gel that Red Fel uses to style his hair into terrifyingly evil forms?

Please. Like I need product? I go for a more natural look. More than natural, in fact. I'd even say... supernatural.

I'm not apologizing.

Point is, this look is all me, kids. Doesn't come in a bottle.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 12:56 PM
SNIP

First off: Omigod it's Red Fel, commenting on this project! I'm not sure if I should be excited or afraid! :P

I'm enjoying how you tore through PotC like that, and you made it relatively easy to use as a guideline. Thanks for that, man!

SNIP

Positive and Negatives, involved in a [*cough cough* race war *cough*]? 8}

SNIP

Quite a bit of feedback already, wow!

I really like these ideas, a lot, actually! But I'm still lost on the who, what, where, why and how.

SNIP

I've given thought to a few lost treasures in forgotten cities and locations, but like I said before, [see above].

Also, this massive desert is a place even Airships refuse to travel (no idea why), and so it is uncharted territory. I plan to have the Tarrasque roaming about in there. But that's for another time~~

These are all great starting points, everyone! Thank you!

And as this is an exercise in both world building and campaign ideas, I'm inviting you all to build where and how you see fit! From geographical locations to points of interest, to why they're shaped that way, how that mountain became so infamous, what have you.

From a random coliseum at the center of a land bridge, an airship graveyard, sunken palace (beneath the waves or dunes, I don't care), anything is possible!

Please enjoy!

Edit: Oh. I should probably add that the party consists of (strangely, an almost perfect crew?)

(They are all currently lv. 1, but will grow quickly until at least 5-6):

- Kletian: CG (3.5 variant Suli-"Jinn") Sorcerer (Djinni bloodline)

- Garrick: LN Gnome Artificer (and owner of Djinn Receptacle)

- Malcolm: NG Half-Elf Druid

- Ryuu: NE (3.5 variant Dhampir) Rogue/Swashbuckler

- Aurala: LG Human Cleric (dom- Creation and Good)

(I know LG is a strange choice for an aspiring sky pirate, but I think she's pretty boss. She also wants to be a saint. So~~)

dascarletm
2016-04-19, 01:12 PM
You could put an equivalent of El Dorado in this world, and have your pirates be in a search for it/race to get there first.

I am running such a campaign currently and I have such a city. In my world the idea of an entire city that can fly is unthinkable. However there are rumors of such a flying city. The campaign is revolving around that and a war between 4 different trade factions.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 01:51 PM
I believe I'll be refluffing the Thunder Sail Argossy (Page 180 of the Player's Handbook II) to get the PCs acquainted with piracy and sailing (whether it begin by sea or air).

At level 7-9 I'll be offering them Leadership so that they can begin amassing a crew (although Cohorts and followers will be strictly tied to the ship and/or any community they set up, so no one abuses the privilege).

Red Fel
2016-04-19, 02:09 PM
Here's a question: How do airships work in your setting? That could help determine all sorts of interesting things.

For example, if they work via magnetic lodestones, things like thunderstorms, highly metallic mountains, or magnetic beam cannons could disrupt their flight or keep them from visiting certain areas. If they operate via bound elemental spirits, it raises all sorts of interesting plot potential (is the spirit conscious? do groups seek to free elementals? is there an evil elemental after all airship crews?). If it's just plain magic wood, well, there's only so much you can do with that, but you see the point. The ship is one of the most important things to any pirate, let alone a sky pirate; it is home and freedom. Being aware of what makes the ship special can make the ship itself almost into a character in its own right.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 02:35 PM
Here's a question: How do airships work in your setting? That could help determine all sorts of interesting things.

For example, if they work via magnetic lodestones, things like thunderstorms, highly metallic mountains, or magnetic beam cannons could disrupt their flight or keep them from visiting certain areas. If they operate via bound elemental spirits, it raises all sorts of interesting plot potential (is the spirit conscious? do groups seek to free elementals? is there an evil elemental after all airship crews?). If it's just plain magic wood, well, there's only so much you can do with that, but you see the point. The ship is one of the most important things to any pirate, let alone a sky pirate; it is home and freedom. Being aware of what makes the ship special can make the ship itself almost into a character in its own right.

Excellent question!

I was thinking of using everyone's favorite Elemental Bound vessels, as seen in Eberron. Air and Fire for airships, Air and Water for sea ships, and so on (sand ships, too? o_O).

Seeing as our sorcerer is a djinn-born, there have been OoC threats from our artificer saying he's going to bind his receptacle to a ship to enable flight, which has caused some discussion.

I would like to point out I did like that idea about magnetic loadstones, though. Pretty neat!

But I think I'd like to stick with elemental vessels. I do believe they are sentient, for the most part. Instinctual, yet bound into servitude. I can see a fire-bound ship wanting, with all its being, to burn its cage and just fly off, etc.

With the Thunder Sail Argossy, I could see the captain's Druid daughter being bound into their vessel; I know she's no elemental, but could clearly use some of her power/my fiat to make the ship fly. She could be like...the ship's on-board GlaDOS, I mean, computer...

Red Fel
2016-04-19, 02:46 PM
I would like to point out I did like that idea about magnetic loadstones, though. Pretty neat!

I'm pretty sure I stole that idea from Ivalice (the setting of Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, and XII), but I can't confirm that.

But I think I'd like to stick with elemental vessels. I do believe they are sentient, for the most part. Instinctual, yet bound into servitude. I can see a fire-bound ship wanting, with all its being, to burn its cage and just fly off, etc.

You could always take it in a Farscape or Lexx direction with that, if you wanted; a plot contrivance gives the bound elemental a baseline level of sapience. Maybe not enough to fully think or communicate verbally, but enough that the ship itself seems alive. There's always comedy to be had when the ship demands that you apologize for being rude or else it won't accelerate away from the pursuing imperials, for instance. And lots of great series involving the adventures of a ship or spacecraft have the crew anthropomorphizing the ship in some way.

And having an instinctive being powering the ship also allows you to explain why there are certain places it won't go, and certain routes it won't travel. Perhaps it can't, because these are places where exposure could result in the bound spirit developing independence, and as part of its binding it was conditioned to avoid them; perhaps it won't, because these places are repellent to a spirit like that.

One of my suggestions for random set pieces? A floating palace, in the middle of a vast wasteland where airships cannot fly. The only way to reach the palace is to trek on foot to a great tower in the middle of the wastes, then to scale the tower to such staggering heights that even airships could not reach (if they could approach, which they can't). Basically, this is an adventure designed to (temporarily, at least) force the party to leave the safety of the ship and explore, if they dare.

And I just realized, in retrospect, that I was kind of mixing Korin Tower/ Kami's Lookout (Dragon Ball) and the Mirage Tower (Final Fantasy).

Magesmiley
2016-04-19, 03:18 PM
There are some other existing sources that you might look to for some inspiration. Calidar is a setting by Bruce Heard that features flying ships, which it sounds like will be a core for your setting. If you can dig up some older Dragon magazines, take look at the Voyage of the Princess Ark series (also by Bruce Heard), which featured a flying ship exploring the world of Mystara.

And Bruce's blog is worth looking at too:

http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com/

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I stole that idea from Ivalice (the setting of Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, and XII), but I can't confirm that.

~SNIP~

One of my suggestions for random set pieces? A floating palace, in the middle of a vast wasteland where airships cannot fly. The only way to reach the palace is to trek on foot to a great tower in the middle of the wastes, then to scale the tower to such staggering heights that even airships could not reach (if they could approach, which they can't). Basically, this is an adventure designed to (temporarily, at least) force the party to leave the safety of the ship and explore, if they dare.

In Tactics (pre-The Lion Wars remake), airships were ancient technology lost to the ages, if I remember correctly. And the final battle against Ultima took place at the Airship Graveyard. Pretty spooky and epic.

So maybe somewhere among the vast dunes of the Knemysis (name of the massive desert yet to be placed), where the Tarrasque happens to be skulking around?

Okay, so here's a little info, while I'm at it.

We started in a small, lush kingdom just to the west of the Knemysis, in a land called Karma; ruled by a despotic queen "Amelia" (think Queen Remedi, Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance). Magic is shamelessly treated similar to how it's used in Sepulchrave's "Tales of Wyre", and although it's common, is sanctioned heavily. Especially by the Church. Other locations are more lax, but I wanted to show players it isn't fun to go blasting as they please...

Edit:
And Bruce's blog is worth looking at too:

http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the tip!

Jowgen
2016-04-19, 03:43 PM
Let's see what I can contribute.

To add a 3rd dimension to your map, I'd recommend adding sky-islands. These could be ancient humanoid made, recently humanoid made, and/or naturally occuring due to magic or magical vegetation (e.g. Soarwood actually is lighter than air, so sometimes enough soarwood trees can jank a whole chunk of soil up into the sky, forming an island).

I would suggest the liberal addition of persistent powerful weather patterns, dead magic zones/currents, and maybe super-magic atmospheric phenomena (e.g. metamagic storms). These could all change according to season, stellar constelations or whatever else. With this, in order to safely fly from a to b, you'd actually need the appropriate maps and charts to navigate, not to mention a good pilot/ships for certain harder routes. Bonus points if you call one particular journey (from city a to b) the Kessel Run. :smalltongue:

With the above two in place, it'll be much easier to have plenty of mythical locations that are hard to find/reach. Maybe the players need to collect some ancient maps that detail how to navigate the currents to reach a certain sky-island of myth. Maybe at times they are duped with a forged one and get into real trouble because of it. Lots of possibilities.

I'd also add some variety to the airships in play. Different nations might have different means of constructing theirs. The Elves or Fey (of the sky islands) might actually grow their living airships from single plants. Eberron-style ships might be relics of the past or just hard to make, due to the underground being controled by an Evil empire that doesn't trade Khyber Dragonshards. Without dragonshards, other nations might be forced to resort to Shining South style, Cloud-keels style (A&E), or Dragonwing-sail (DrgMag) style airships. Lightning Turbines (A&E) and Coldfire Engines (FB) might be popular additions in some places.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-19, 03:58 PM
Iwould suggest the liberal addition of persistent powerful weather patterns, dead magic zones/currents...

I smell a jagd! :3

Also, I had always figured Soarwood was lighter than air (but think I've actually read it is quite heavy); a couple islands here and there with the stuff could be invaluable to businesses similar to House Lyrander, and they could covet their stores viciously.

I am also picturing large chunks of rock just poking out of the waters with shredded stumps and rotting grass, vegetation, etc.--what happens when you've cut down all the trees that give the island lift?

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-20, 07:32 AM
Browsing through my Eberron collection again, I think I'd like to add a place similar to House Lyrander's Stormhome somewhere on the map. A place run by [businesspeople] with power over the winds and water in their vicinity, with temperate climate behind their wind wall, etc.

It was always a favorite spot of mine. And with a Djinn Sorcerer and Druid in the party, I'm sure later on they could maintain this place.

---

Also an island (or an archipelago with a "gathering/cult") where a wildly popular Oracle dwells.

Andry
2016-04-20, 09:46 AM
I would watch some episodes of Talespin for inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReyS9i9BJg

Caedes
2016-04-20, 09:57 AM
I love the idea of a Sky Pirate themed world. I have put some random thoughts below.

Make it on a plane of existence where all the "Land" is actually firm clouds that float above an inhospitable sea. And that there is a myth of a place where the kingdom of "Terra" still exists (an El Dorado of sorts) . So, can make actual earth really rare. And on the black market you can sometimes find an ounce of "earth" for god like sums of money.

As the supreme dark one, Red Fel suggested pull from characters or scenarios from the Golden Age of Piracy or other Pirate like sources. The Adventures of Sinbad, Pirates of Dark Water etc. etc.

Have fun with it. Pirate adventures have a bit of tongue in cheek in their nature.

I also wish I could play in this campaign. #lovepirates.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-20, 03:41 PM
I also wish I could play in this campaign. #lovepirates.

Theoretically, you could. It's forum-based, and although the players don't all have their stats in order just yet *stern DM face*, they've got solid role playing up so far. For the most part.

Ferronach
2016-04-20, 08:19 PM
I've given thought to a few lost treasures in forgotten cities and locations, but like I said before, [see above].
Further to my previous post, just some spitballing here:
Your ships are currently Elemental based but recently there has been a famous person speaking out about elemental rights and this speaker has gathered a huge following.

Your equivalent of House Lyndar have contacted the party to engage them on a top secret mission. House L explains that during their research into airships, they found ancient record of airships that were powered/levitated by something else. Enter the lodestones/soarwood. Their interest is in keeping their monopoly on the market and having an ace up their sleeve should the movement gain momentum and pressure for non elemental ships become strong enough.

Legends say that the alternative source was strong enough to create floating cities but a large scale interdimensional war obliterated these cities and ravaged the land. This resulted in the massive desert and explains why it is tainted with dark magical energies beyond all but the most powerful and foolhardy wizards/sorcerers etc. Legends and fragments of texts also refer to a workshop used to process the source having potentially survived the war but that it was lost when the people went to war.

House L has gathered records of any strange sightings and such and one tattered document from a sanitarium that burned down contains the rantings of a mad man who claimed to have explored the desert. He calimed to have seen a floating city in ruins, seas of bones, magical prisons binging unspeakable horrors and the like. He also found a map that he was able to draw from memory. The map show on the other side of the desert on your world map (not too accurate though) and then a large ocean and a bunch of islands with a big one at the middle. The party finds a way to go around the desert (or risks going over it) in order to get to the supposed workshop. As they draw near to where the islands are supposed to be, they begin to encounter floating rocks and as mentioned in previous posts, "sky islands." Further in, they com across a large island in the sea, covered in a lush forest.

The party's airship "crash" lands into the sea near the island and cannot get any closer. The ship sustains some serious damage and will no longer fly but can be sailed away from the island. The House L agent that the party was to escort dies or is thrown overboard etc. The party gather his/her notes and such and head to the island with the remaining crew. They set up a camp and begin to explore. They find signs that the island once boasted a thriving civilisation and is potentially the location of the workshop.

Further exploration through a jungle with appropriately CRed jungle encounters, turns up the work shop. Only problem is, it has security systems consisting of all manner of traps, dead ends and the like. Not to mention some critters that have taken up residence. Sections of it have become flooded which can be used to make things interesting or down right Red Fel-ian...

Once they finally get to the hear of the workshop, they uncover all sorts of documents and records about the lodestones or soarwood. And even better, they find an airship unlike any that the world has seen in millennia. The ship is outfitted with some strange gadgets that appear to be weaponry of some sort and it flies without elementals. The workshop also contains a bunch of the new flying material in its storerooms for use in other ships.

The party can then decide to take samples or leave them there. They get a really cool new ship out of it and can return to the coast to collect the remaining crew. They can then fly back to Hose L and tell them of their findings, give them the notes and samples (or give them to someone else). They can claim the ship as payment for the loss of their previous ship and have the guns to back it up.

And now I think that I may scrap a few months of work on the campaign that i have been working on (and am not really happy with) and use some of this hahahaha.

Have fun with it. Feel free to take some, all or none :)

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-21, 06:48 AM
Have fun with it. Feel free to take some, all or none :)

With everyone's comments so far, I think I can actually use bits and pieces of it all! You guys are truly amazing, very helpful! I appreciate your efforts, and it was well worth it. So far, my party is in for something really cool!

Just a question.

Where exactly did you peg the desert? I know my map is a bulky sheet with overly massive land mass.

-------------------

I'd like to point out that, of the many Dragonmarked Houses, Lyrander (whom I referred to for years as "Lysander", because reasons) were always some of the worst. As in, they were right foul d***s. May just be the old DM, how I've read them myself, what have you. They remind me of an evil, greedy corporation. I love them.

(House Cannith all the way, though!)

Anyway, I think the Lyrander Equivalent would have to be some fierce people in this world, without certain restrictions like they have in Eberron. See the House's work on Xen'drik...

I think I know exactly which rabble rouser would be speaking out for Elemental Rights, too...

Miss Dahlia La'Raksha, the outspoken Elven(?) Bardess, freedom fighter!

--------------------

I think I could resurrect the Blackwheeel Company, too (from City of Stormreach). At least an organization very similar. I loved that group. My old party became high ranking members in the good ol' days. Eventually took over the ship/headquarters, and systematically "fired" certain individuals. :)

The Company might be interesting in and around points of expedition.

Ferronach
2016-04-21, 07:21 PM
Where exactly did you peg the desert? I know my map is a bulky sheet with overly massive land mass.

The far western side extending past the edge of the map (and back onto the other side perhaps?) and coming east to roughly where the large river system "cuts" the land mass.

The workshop island area could be in the very bottom right hand corner of your map if you are so inclined.

Palanan
2016-04-21, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Red Fel
The ship is one of the most important things to any pirate, let alone a sky pirate; it is home and freedom.

"You know what the first rule of flying is? …Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-22, 09:04 AM
The far western side extending past the edge of the map (and back onto the other side perhaps?) and coming east to roughly where the large river system "cuts" the land mass.

The workshop island area could be in the very bottom right hand corner of your map if you are so inclined.

"You know what the first rule of flying is? …Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."

I think I can work a lot of this in. You've all been a massive help. I appreciate everyone's efforts! I think we'll have quite a campaign here shortly. :)

Ferronach
2016-04-22, 09:21 AM

*Sniffle* Oh how I miss that show...

Vogie
2016-04-22, 10:14 AM
I love this concept so much.

I would like to second (third?) the suggestion of sky islands. If you have a particularly harsh desert, use the skylands to fill the oasis trope. Borrow and steal from Pandora (the world from James Cameron's Avatar) and Magic: The Gathering's plane of Zendikar.

In a world where elemental-bound airships are commonplace, consider making the party's ship not that. Perhaps a Lightning-powered airship (from the movie Stardust) or powered by something else nonstandard, and requires the crew (and the party).
Party

Don't worry about the ship, it'll take care of itself. We have to go NOW
Captain

Actually, funny thing, that. I had forgotten to mention this earlier...

As for WHY there are vast wastelands where no one flies, diving into that why could also be fun. Perhaps there are

Giant sandstorms that disrupt magic
Giant Dune-style sandwurms that like munching on said airships***
Precarious inhabitants, such as Sandbenders (from the other Avatar) or other dark magics (i.e., the movie "the Mummy"), or just Mongol-style raiders

*** If you go with the non-standard ships mentioned above, that could be the hook - The wurms only eat the ships with bound elementals

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-22, 10:20 AM
Nice ideas, Vogie!

You know, actually had my artificer say "are there, like, giant antlions out there spitting sand at the ships or something?", and I said "sure". I could see some big zone eaters devouring elemental-bound morsels, too!

Yeah. I wanted to highlight the Knemysis desert, because it's just my favorite location. I love deserts.

Palanan
2016-04-22, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Vogie
If you have a particularly harsh desert, use the skylands to fill the oasis trope. Borrow and steal from Pandora (the world from James Cameron's Avatar)….

In fact, I was just thinking exactly the same thing--create a dense section of floating mountains, just like the Vortex on Pandora, tied together by colossal interwoven vines and roots into a grand and perilous archipelago.

And it occurred to me that the PCs wouldn't have the faintest idea how to navigate this treacherous realm, so they'd need to hire a specially trained pilot to navigate them through the slots and gaps between the sky-islands. Finding a good sky-channel pilot, and negotiating the price of a safe passage, could be a nice encounter or side-quest on its own, especially if there's something the PCs really need from deep inside the floating archipelago.

Eisfalken
2016-04-22, 07:41 PM
I have an idea for a campaign that you can steal to go with the basic setting, if you're interested.

Basically, there's a big freaking war between epic-level wizards, who decide to create elemental doomsday weapons with epic spellcasting. Long story short, they rip open holes between the Inner Planes and the Material Plane.

The inner biozone of their solar system fills up with elemental material... including breathable air (Plane of Air), large planetoid masses (Plane of Earth), small star-like objects that warm the area (Plane of Fire), and clouds/mist/precipitation (Plane of Water). The elemental magic "malfunction" causes a certain amount of gravity to hold things more or less in the center of the area between orbits, so air doesn't drift off, "islands" float in stable paths, etc. There is still vacuum and whatnot outside the biozone.

At the edge of this biozone are the orbits of at least two habitable worlds, separated by thousands of miles of space filled with little "islands" scattered throughout it. The "home" world is largely an early Renaissance-level setting, with lots of different cultures. The other world is an untamed wilderness filled with all kinds of weird creatures and beings. Further out is a huge gas giant with dozens of large moons, as well as breathable atmosphere. The gas giant produces enough heat and some light to make most of the moons habitable. Out here is basically the "homeworld" of dragons, whose ancestors used powerful epic magic to render the area habitable.

If you calculate the amount of actual usable space just these two areas (the biozone and the gas giant) give, basically you have room for anything and everything you can possibly imagine. Nations on the homeworld wage war in space to fight for control of sky-islands with valuable minerals (imagine an asteroid full of gems, adamantine, mithral, etc.), while colonists try to start new lives away from their troubles back home (and possibly leading to colonial wars of independence later, if you have a mind for some fun). Various cults and societies may attempt to create evil empires in the sky, building fleets of ships and breeding horrible monsters for invasion and conquest. Explorers go to the savage world to uncover ruins and ancient things (maybe this is where the illithids once ruled and devoured other beings, until their gith slaves rose up in revolt, and now the githyanki and githzerai fight each other in scattered villages and ruins for control). Genies of all kinds, especially efreeti and djinni, send corsairs to plunder the wealth of the area and bring it back home.

Just an idea I had once. Your mileage may vary.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-24, 08:38 AM
Now if I were going interstellar, that would be one awesome campaign idea! As it is, we're just getting airships at this time, but I'm not saying we won't eventually build space-worthy Aether ships! I'll keep this one in my books!

Bayar
2016-04-24, 09:17 AM
Any thread about sky pirates needs a link to the Forgotten Freedom archive (https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Forgotten_Freedom:Main_Page). Read the rules list or through the plot lines, get inspired by the mary sues character bios.

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-24, 09:18 AM
Any thread about sky pirates needs a link to the Forgotten Freedom archive (https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Forgotten_Freedom:Main_Page). Read the rules list or through the plot lines, get inspired by the mary sues character bios.

Oh, look at that! What a treasure trove! :)

Templarkommando
2016-04-25, 01:15 AM
When you're talking about the real world age of piracy, you're looking really closely at the transportation of gold and silver amongst other goods to colonial powers in Europe. It might be useful to parallel some of this. For example: Mt. Potosi in Bolivia was said to be made of silver, and then there's "Argentina." Since the latin name for silver is Argentum, and that's where Argentina gets its name. The thing that made piracy possible to a large degree was the fact that at any given point during the age of piracy these ships were moving to and from colonial powers like Spain. Question #1 then is what is the thing that makes piracy attractive to pirates? Is it Gold? Silver? Unobtanium? Mithril? Powerful spell components? Question #2 Where are your pirates coming from? A good number of pirates had previous navy experience and then at the end of their service decided that they hadn't got quite enough and so hoisted the jolly roger. Other pirates were forced at sword point to join a crew for a number of years. Some pirates were escaped slaves. Still others were daughters of powerful merchants or nobles that wanted a more adventurous life. Question #3: What makes piracy possible from a tactical point of view? Pirate ships would often have huge compliments aboard so that when they captured a ship, it was a simple thing to overpower the other crew and take control of everything, but in addition to that pirate ships tended to be smaller vessels capable of running in and attacking a loan straggler before colonial navies could stop them. In a Naval duel, pirate ships relied on being the smaller and more agile ship in order to bring about victory. What makes this possible in your campaign world?

I hope this helps.

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-25, 02:26 AM
Maybe you can score a digital copy of the Skybourne books? 3rd party pathfinder i know, but its all about an aerial campaign. worth a look i bet :)

redzimmer
2016-04-25, 11:23 AM
I look forward to stealing ideas from the finished project.

How about a super-advanced sky city which eclipses all the "Groundling" nations in tech. They act similar to the Federation in when a nation achieves manned flight, the Air City introduces itself and tells it to not get carried away with aerial warfare.

(In that the city is all that remains of an advanced civilization that ruled this world centuries ago. Man Grew Proud, wars ensued, scorched the world back to the stone age, and the Sky City tries to atone by not letting such a magical conflagration to happen again.)

khadgar567
2016-04-25, 12:21 PM
I mean if you want to go overboard you can even put one piece in it ( actually its a good plot hook worlds most famous sky pirate gonna be executed in city were adventure begins an some guy on house L(don flamingo) wants party to find the proverbial one piece( the knowledge of non elemental airships) )

TheBrassDuke
2016-04-28, 09:46 AM
Now I just really need to flesh out the map, put down a bunch of countries, set up imperial holds, pinpoint landmarks and points of interest, locate mountains and other deserts, decide on the geography of everywhere else~~~

It's gonna be a workout! Although I might redo the map.

If you have suggestions on names and any specific points of interest/etc., lemme know!

redzimmer
2016-04-28, 11:21 AM
Mountaintop city states can certainly be a thing, like Sarth in Betrayal at Krondor.

stack
2016-04-28, 11:26 AM
Mechanically speaking, the Players Guide to Skybourne (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/173399/The-Players-Guide-to-Skybourne?src=slider_view) and the Ships of Skybourne (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/171127/Ships-of-Skybourne) may be useful. Neither have large amounts of setting info, but the rules for airships are pretty extensive. The setting is one where most land is overrun by aggressive forest, civilization took to the sky in flying islands and towers, and merfolk are economically vital (hard to get enough farmland in the sky).

Full disclosure: I freelance for the publisher but am not involved in any Skybourne products.

TheBrassDuke
2016-05-02, 09:12 AM
I do like what I'm seeing with Skybourne, actually. But now I'm just looking for relevant ideas to the story. Like, factions, states, individuals, what have you.

I remember an article here about a group who took "code names" of various predatory birds, which I thought was neat. Could be a cool rival crew.

I also thought of a sky colony ruled by harpies, with their leader being an elite "Amazonian" queen.

Then, of course, the Hollow Deck; a flying barge with a crew of Warforged, and their captain is a hologram that's been running on a strange loop for decades.

I don't know, just some ideas?

stack
2016-05-02, 09:36 AM
Slavers that use vampiric and necrotic engines. Troublesome slave? Fuel. Just don't burn through your product too quickly.

The necromancer in a bone ship is classic.

Your hollow ship could be mechanically executed as having the entire ship be animated as an object, with crew for repairs, guns, etc.

Dirigible-based aircraft carriers with short range interceptors. Good if ou need something military.

Small ship with tiny fey crew, including miniature cannons.

redzimmer
2016-05-02, 10:01 AM
A spectral ship rowed eternally by undead slaves, captained by a lich always on the lookout for new crew to press into service.

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-02, 12:46 PM
Did I miss something, or was the actual good being transported not mentioned? I assume it is gold, but it could take on other forms. Even in the golden age of piracy, slaves, guns, gunpowder, booze and medical supplies were highly sought after by pirates. Heck, the United States had sugar smuggling play into the reasons behind the Revolutionary war.

So maybe give a few choices as to what the haul is? Do they quickly go for the gold, or strip everything else out, letting the crew die slowly? Or do they in fact, hire from the crews they plunder? In the Golden Age, many sailors either regretted their choice to sign on or were forced to, so signing up with some pirates didn't seem half-bad. If one PC is a cleric or offers similar healing/food resources, then signing up with Team Not-Dying-Of-Scruvy-and-Starvation seems like a good plan.

You know, I've heard of a story of a coconut crab that smuggled itself onto a ship that had loaded up on coconuts for food. (I'm not sure HOW they missed it, but I'm not even sure this story is factual.) So eventually the sailors could hear the most horrendous cracking sounds from down in the hull. No one volunteered to go get the thing out of there, and it happily ate coconuts for a while. Clearly, there needs to be something similar in that once they are away from friendly ports, they start hearing weird sounds in their latest haul. Which of course, is quite big and hard to shift through. Who wants to volunteer!? It could be a stowaway, an animal that was considered magical and destined to become a fancy pet or parts, or even just some magical doodads acting up.

TheBrassDuke
2016-05-09, 03:20 PM
I haven't actually given much thought as to what the crew will be after, although I did envision them "reclaiming" lost art from some far off place, and taking down a preciously military ship and gang.

I don't really know. Freedom piracy has been discussed, but you're right. We should have some goods we'd like to move.

redzimmer
2016-05-09, 10:20 PM
I haven't actually given much thought as to what the crew will be after, although I did envision them "reclaiming" lost art from some far off place, and taking down a preciously military ship and gang.

I don't really know. Freedom piracy has been discussed, but you're right. We should have some goods we'd like to move.

What about a treasure map?

TheBrassDuke
2016-05-10, 09:28 AM
What about a treasure map?

What were you thinking? I'm giving the whole Playground leave to create ideas as they like.

redzimmer
2016-05-10, 10:52 AM
What were you thinking? I'm giving the whole Playground leave to create ideas as they like.

An untold treasure (a perpetual flying machine fuel?) is rumored to exist.

A map is at X location, several sky factions converge to find said map, a location of peril. Perhaps a decadent city of a particularly evil (but never too evil for business) race or nation.

Then the untold treasure itself may be found in a ruin reminiscent of an ancient astronaut's ship, mixing elements of jetpunk tech (someone once said sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, so these treasures could be just another magical item).