PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [PF] Raising the Dead... without trapping the soul....

Xalos
2016-04-19, 12:18 PM
So I had an interesting idea that started when my Paladin was resurrected by just his ear... The thought was, what happened to the rest of the body, is it still underground just missing an ear? So I wondered if that body could be raised to fight me so its me vs undead me...

But I then figured out that you could not because creating an undead traps the soul of the deceased into that body, and since my soul was in a new body that wouldn't have worked.

Then I thought about Golems. A piece of rock has no soul. Yet when a mage creates a conscious golem the rock suddenly has a soul. It didn't trap the soul of a past deceased there... So I wondered if you could just make a golem out of a corpse. I found the flesh golem.

The pieces of a flesh golem must come from normal humanoid corpses that have not decayed significantly. Assembly requires a minimum of six different bodies—one for each limb, the torso (including head), and the brain.

So You could make a flesh golem out of my old body, along with other bodies.... Since it is using transmutation magic, it is not trapping the soul correct? It says it is an [evil] spell so I am guessing that that means it is in fact necromatic in nature, especially since it can possibly remember its previous lives...

However.... You can animate almost anything as a golem. From glass, to iron, to stone, to sand. Since humans came from dust in the same way everything else did is a corpse not just another inanimate object. You can animate any other object and make it move. So why exclude corpses. Using the same magics that animate everything else why not research into animating a corpse without a soul involved just as a mindless golem. Now these golems somehow can get a soul... So what if the animated corpse gains a soul in the same way...

Now there are 2 of me, each with a soul... Which one is a real person? Are we both the same? Im looking for your thoughts and anything in the rules i may have missed.

Starmage21
2016-04-19, 01:02 PM
Too much thinking going on here I think.

Your old body could be used to make a flesh golem, an elemental . Awakening it would make an awakened flesh golem that looks like you that has a new soul thats not in any way you.

Xalos
2016-04-19, 01:17 PM
Too much thinking going on here I think.

Your old body could be used to make a flesh golem, an elemental . Awakening it would make an awakened flesh golem that looks like you that has a new soul thats not in any way you.

yes but it wouldnt be just me... it would be 5 other corpses