PDA

View Full Version : Mother Cyst Clarification

magicalmagicman
2016-04-19, 01:00 PM
The mother cyst feat, does it add to a sorcerer's spell known list or just her class spell list? As in do I have to burn a spell known to access a particular cyst spell, or do I get them all and can use versatile spellcaster for early access?

Segev
2016-04-19, 01:31 PM
The mother cyst feat, does it add to a sorcerer's spell known list or just her class spell list? As in do I have to burn a spell known to access a particular cyst spell, or do I get them all and can use versatile spellcaster for early access?It adds to actual spells known. Wizards who get it don't need to scribe them in spellbooks (it's like having Spell Mastery, for them, for those spells). Clerics are the only ones who don't get anything more than "added to their class list." And that's because Clerics already have every Cleric spell available to them without special need to "choose" outside of preparation.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-19, 01:38 PM
It adds to actual spells known. Wizards who get it don't need to scribe them in spellbooks (it's like having Spell Mastery, for them, for those spells). Clerics are the only ones who don't get anything more than "added to their class list." And that's because Clerics already have every Cleric spell available to them without special need to "choose" outside of preparation.

The spell mastery part about wizards is truly a convincing argument! If wizards get to permanently know these spells from level 1 just by taking this feat, why not sorcerers?

AWESOME! I'm grabbing this feat!

Segev
2016-04-19, 02:30 PM
The spell mastery part about wizards is truly a convincing argument! If wizards get to permanently know these spells from level 1 just by taking this feat, why not sorcerers?

AWESOME! I'm grabbing this feat!

It is pretty awesome.

It lets you spread scrying sensors around at lower levels.

It lets you make populations more vulnerable to your necromancy overall. It lets you debuff enemies against your necromancy specifically (though not as well, since anybody you'd care about debuffing probably can make the save against necrotic cyst).

As you gain levels, remember to take control of some of the skulking cysts created from the corpses of those you explode with necrotic eruption. They can be sent out to spread necrotic cysts around without you having to do it, personally.

And later on, keep necrotic dominated and (better) necrotic tumor-controlled minions around to send charging into battle so you can explode them. Infecting anybody damaged by their fireball-like explosion of viscera and vile damage with a necrotic cyst of their own is just gravy.

And, if you're a truly disgustingly evil villain, little kids and innocent-looking maidens necrotic tumored into obedience make great "hostages" that are grateful for a rescue...and explode when they're in the middle of the do-gooding enemy.

If you're not plagued by do-gooders, of course, that's a less useful tactic.

ATHATH
2016-04-19, 02:51 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777.0) list might be useful.

The Cerebrosis feat is similar to Necrotic Cyst, except that Cerebrosis adds some Far Realm-themed spells instead of tumor-themed spells and can be obtained without using up a feat slot for 3,000 GP and a point of Constitution.

Also, if you don't like some of the added spells, trade them out with Bardblades or the Dragonblood Spellpact spell.

Necroticplague
2016-04-19, 03:19 PM
It is pretty awesome.

It lets you spread scrying sensors around at lower levels.

It lets you make populations more vulnerable to your necromancy overall. It lets you debuff enemies against your necromancy specifically (though not as well, since anybody you'd care about debuffing probably can make the save against necrotic cyst).

As you gain levels, remember to take control of some of the skulking cysts created from the corpses of those you explode with necrotic eruption. They can be sent out to spread necrotic cysts around without you having to do it, personally.

And later on, keep necrotic dominated and (better) necrotic tumor-controlled minions around to send charging into battle so you can explode them. Infecting anybody damaged by their fireball-like explosion of viscera and vile damage with a necrotic cyst of their own is just gravy.

And, if you're a truly disgustingly evil villain, little kids and innocent-looking maidens necrotic tumored into obedience make great "hostages" that are grateful for a rescue...and explode when they're in the middle of the do-gooding enemy.

If you're not plagued by do-gooders, of course, that's a less useful tactic.

Also, as a possibly-useful side note: Necrotic Termination is one of the most permanent ways to dispose of anybody you want to STAY DEAD DAMMIT!.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-19, 11:07 PM
This feat is awesome. For a while, one of my characters (who had basically no other divination spells) would tag and release any rebels the party caught, then track them back to wherever they went to get more loot from them. Great way of toying with helpless bandits securing the realm.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-19, 11:17 PM
This feat is awesome. For a while, one of my characters (who had basically no other divination spells) would tag and release any rebels the party caught, then track them back to wherever they went to get more loot from them. Great way of toying with helpless bandits securing the realm.

I love this feat so much. Combined with Versatile Spellcaster, I can finally go full dominate on all my planar binding demons. Lesser Geas for lesser planar binding, Necrotic Tumor for Planar Binding and Greater Planar Binding.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAA

My character is gonna lead an army of cyst infested demons and devils. It's gonna look sooooo cool.

Now whether my character is EVIL or not is up for debate. He only implants and mind controls evil outsiders like devils and demons exclusively, so in that aspect he's not evil, but still, torturing and butchering evil creatures is still evil right?