PDA

View Full Version : Character Build for Shen from LoL?

Haveatya
2016-04-19, 01:36 PM
I am looking to build a character based off Shen from League of Legends. I'm not really sure how to go about it though. I was thinking of using Monk and Paladin with a few levels in war cleric? Getting smite and probably going oath of devotion to get a magic weapon replicates a spirit blade, monk gives me ki in general and I can work a shortsword and fists in close combat. The cleric levels would boost spell levels faster for my smite and gives me a lot of spells to choose from.

Anyone have thoughts on recreating him?

Blue Lantern
2016-04-19, 03:06 PM
Does it has to be a functional build?
Because if I am not mistaken your idea would require Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom and Charisma at 13.

I would think Paladin/Abjurer, arcane ward seem to be a good abstraction for the Shen shields and the teleport, but even this build is extremely MAD and probably very inefficient.

Ralanr
2016-04-19, 08:52 PM
Does it has to be a functional build?
Because if I am not mistaken your idea would require Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom and Charisma at 13.

I would think Paladin/Abjurer, arcane ward seem to be a good abstraction for the Shen shields and the teleport, but even this build is extremely MAD and probably very inefficient.

Maybe Abujur/shadow monk?

Haveatya
2016-04-19, 10:34 PM
Just finished a starter build - 6 monk of shadow, 2 paly, 3 fiend Bladelock

2 short rest 3d8 smites, got the tele from shadow, a small recharging shield, hex...... It might have lost flavor but seems interesting nonetheless. A 1d6 + Dex + duelist + 1 magic bonus + d6 hex attacks and a smite poppable.

YCombinator
2016-04-20, 10:40 PM
I don't know of any good ways to simulate shadow dash. Are their any abilities in 5e that require an enemy to attack you rather than hitting an ally? Or perhaps applying disadvantage? There are several that allow you to react to an attack on an ally and counter or take the attack. There's one where if you have a shield you can take an attack for an ally. I for get what it is. Sentinel, Grappler are good feats worth considering for his taunt.

Spiritual Weapon could be his Spirit Blade. If you want to be able to cast it every combat, consider taking enough levels of Warlock to get a level 2 spell slot per short rest. Take either Cleric or Chosen of the Gods Sorcerer to get Spiritual Weapon as a known spell. Case Spiritual weapon in every combat. Sorcerer might be better than Cleric since they get dimension door.

He could use Dimension Door for his ultimate. It has 500' range.

You probably want some great unarmored defense. Consider these benefits and combine them as.

Monk's unarmored defense
Barbarian's unarmored defense
Bladesinger Wizard
Dual Wielder feat
Mariner fighting style
Mystic Iron Durability

You should definitely dual wield short swords.

Consider ways to gain temporary hit points to simulate the combat self healing Shen does. It's more like his shielding than a heal would be.

Douche
2016-04-21, 08:16 AM
Consider ways to gain temporary hit points to simulate the combat self healing Shen does. It's more like his shielding than a heal would be.

I agree. "Shields" in LoL are literally temp hit points in D&D. But FYI I haven't played LoL in 2-3 years so I don't actually know if they changed Shen to have an actual healing ability. But back then, it was truly a shield. Gave you temp hit point buffer.

Can just take heroism. Sounds like the build is already going to heavily feature paladin. Heroism is right in there, yo.

Haveatya
2016-04-21, 10:13 AM
Blade/FiendLock with the false life invocation and temp HP from kills represents the shielding. Hex for extra damage from my 3-4 attacks a turn.

The smiting from Paladin gives me a makeshift ki blade for a 2*3d8 Nova on 2 renewable 2nd level slots.

Monk for the general Shen stuff.

It looks fun to play but might not scale well.

Ralanr
2016-04-21, 02:11 PM
Actually, blade feylock could work because of misty step.