PDA

View Full Version : Buying Furniture

Rith
2016-04-19, 03:41 PM
Alright, so, usually in a tabletop game, furniture and food and hotel rooms are all incredibly cheap. I think I've seen the most expensive lifestyle in a game add up to just over 100,000 gold for an entire year, and that's for an emperor. However, my current DM is building an even more extravagant society, where there is a city with streets literally paved with gold and you can get a furniture set that actually costs 1 million gold (baby dragon leather). Our group is living in this city, and my character is setting up a shop with some luxury accommodations. However, we only have 2 million gold to spend, so we need to find a midpoint between high luxury and what is actually set out in the rules of the game. I'm thinking something of a "quaint" environment.

So, to avoid a situation where we have to sit down and brainstorm materials and furniture items before diving into the game (he only has the high luxury items figured out, instead of the mid luxury), I was thinking of crowd sourcing it to you guys. What kinds of crazy & rare furniture could we come up with? Pillows stuffed with angel feathers? Bandersnatch fur rugs? Tables carved from a single block of Quartz?

falcon1
2016-04-19, 04:00 PM
A table made from the wood of some sort of rare, exotic tree. It is intricately carved with scenes of war and feasting. The edges are decorated with opals and diamonds which are enchanted to glow slightly

A bed stuffed with phoniex feathers, and the sheets are woven from sidhe hair

MrZJunior
2016-04-19, 05:03 PM
A bed made from enchanted clouds, like sleeping on air.

Noje
2016-04-19, 07:00 PM
What about statues made by the finest Cockatrice "sculptors?" The detail is very lifelike, and they are the best at capturing the look of terror someone experiences right before death. The only expense is finding and catching a Cockatrice in the beginning and then the only challenge is finding "volunteers" to "inspire" the Cockatrice.:smalltongue:

denthor
2016-04-19, 08:07 PM
Not crazy but definitely rare table made from volcanic glass. I want I'm at a holy symbol made from that cut cut completely round. If you really wanted to be something special make it a one piece thing

Bohandas
2016-04-19, 09:03 PM
What about magic stuff?

-How about a table with no legs. It just floats in the air. The height and angle are adjustable.

-Chair with no legs. Same deal.

-Desk with drawers of holding.

-Pocket sized paperback book has implausibly high number of pages

-Shelf casts shrink item on stuff placed on it. It unshrinks when you pick it back up.

Also, some currency ideas:

-higher value coins than the platinum piece, worth 100 and 1000 gp. Physically they're HD Rosettas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-Rosetta) printed on Mithril and backed by the combination of the value of the mithril plus the precision of their manufacture plus the information recorded thereon.

-Magic scrolls used like paper currency

EDIT:
Also,
-Unicorn and pegasus glue

Āmesang
2016-04-19, 11:10 PM
Tables made from mahogany from the planet of Malchior-7! Where the trees grow 300 ft. tall and breath fire!

(Also, if I remember correctly, the moon orbiting Faerūn is described as such in the Realmspace supplement for SPELLJAMMER®.)

EDIT: With 2 million dollars gold pieces do you have any idea how much Dijon ketchup you can buy?! :smallcool:

Rith
2016-04-20, 12:57 AM
A table made from the wood of some sort of rare, exotic tree. It is intricately carved with scenes of war and feasting. The edges are decorated with opals and diamonds which are enchanted to glow slightly

A bed stuffed with phoniex feathers, and the sheets are woven from sidhe hair

You know, I always imagine Phoenix feathers as being on fire perpetually. Like an everburning torch. That bed would be kind on warm.

Also, I like the rare tree idea, but what would be a good, rare tree?

A bed made from enchanted clouds, like sleeping on air.

Hmmm, I could do that with some type of permancied wind wall.

What about statues made by the finest Cockatrice "sculptors?" The detail is very lifelike, and they are the best at capturing the look of terror someone experiences right before death. The only expense is finding and catching a Cockatrice in the beginning and then the only challenge is finding "volunteers" to "inspire" the Cockatrice.:smalltongue:

Beautiful, but my character is chaotic good.

Not crazy but definitely rare table made from volcanic glass. I want I'm at a holy symbol made from that cut cut completely round. If you really wanted to be something special make it a one piece thing

I like the idea of an obsidian glass table. Would just have to be careful, because volcanic glass can be very naturally sharp and hard. Rounded edges would be a must.

What about magic stuff?

-How about a table with no legs. It just floats in the air. The height and angle are adjustable.

-Chair with no legs. Same deal.

-Desk with drawers of holding.

-Pocket sized paperback book has implausibly high number of pages

-Shelf casts shrink item on stuff placed on it. It unshrinks when you pick it back up.

Also, some currency ideas:

-higher value coins than the platinum piece, worth 100 and 1000 gp. Physically they're HD Rosettas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-Rosetta) printed on Mithril and backed by the combination of the value of the mithril plus the precision of their manufacture plus the information recorded thereon.

-Magic scrolls used like paper currency

EDIT:
Also,
-Unicorn and pegasus glue

Everything is great, minus the Unicorn and Pegasus glue. My guy worships Lurue and has a pet Unicorn.

Also, I will offer the money ideas to my DM tomorrow.

Tables made from mahogany from the planet of Malchior-7! Where the trees grow 300 ft. tall and breath fire!

(Also, if I remember correctly, the moon orbiting Faerūn is described as such in the Realmspace supplement for SPELLJAMMER®.)

EDIT: With 2 million dollars gold pieces do you have any idea how much Dijon ketchup you can buy?! :smallcool:

(I think the ketchup thing is a reference to something but I don't know what. I could potentially build a fort purely out of Dijon ketchup bottles, yes.)

SILENCE!!!

. . .

mohagony

Bohandas
2016-04-20, 01:15 AM

Oh! Moon rocks! Stuff could be made of moon rocks!

ALSO. Mid-level luxury was mentioned earlier; this is more for the villains than the PCs, but how about thrones made from the bones other than the skull? Like they make the chairs out of skulls and the other leftover bones they make into other cheaper chairs.

ALSO. Stuff made out of materials that were fished out of the gods' garbage.

ALSO. Elfin plants that grow into chairs. Just plant it and in a year or so it grows into an ornate throne

EDIT:
Also,

Self-shelving books and/or a telekinetic self-stocking bookshelf

goto124
2016-04-20, 08:17 AM
- A magic waterbed, without the pesky plastic and fabrics getting in the way. Like a swimming pool, but nicer to sleep in and no chance of drowning.

Also, make it bigger by adjusting the frame and adding more water.

You know, I always imagine Phoenix feathers as being on fire perpetually. Like an everburning torch. That bed would be kind on warm.

- Similar to electric beds, except no electricity required!

- Everburning fireplaces and chandeliers would also make good use of phoenix feathers

I'm trying to think of furniture that actually makes good use of magical or otherwise fantastic materials, instead of "this bed is like a normal bed but QUARTZ!!!".

Does it work on people? If I got this I'll keep bugging my friends to sit on it.

Bohandas
2016-04-20, 11:42 AM
-Fabrics made from habafrobzipulops (the hemp of the gods in SubGenius mythology)

-An actual ivory (or at least some kind of shaped dentin) tower

ExLibrisMortis
2016-04-20, 03:37 PM
A couch that automatically (and discreetly) empties the stomach of whoever lies on it, enabling them to eat forever. Several speed settings are available. Adequate systems, discreetly implemented, cost extra.

MrZJunior
2016-04-20, 03:53 PM
A miniature banzai forest with tiny owl bears, deer, shambling mounds, and other flora and fauna on a miniature scale.

Knaight
2016-04-20, 04:03 PM
Various objects that let you move up and down floors without actually having to use stairs, ladders, etc. could work. Extravagant ropes with loops you stand in at the bottom that coil up and down, columns of thick fog that let you slowly fall down arbitrarily far, floating platforms that serve as elevators, etc.

Another option would be to emphasize the craft. Everything is made of very good, but conventional materials. Also every wood surface is carved extremely intricately by a master at the height of their craft, all fabric is basically an extremely well made tapestry tailored to whatever the fabric is for, etc. Picture someone today using part of the Bayeux tapestry as bed sheets, and you get the idea.

Berenger
2016-04-20, 04:12 PM
A miniature banzai forest with tiny owl bears, deer, shambling mounds, and other flora and fauna on a miniature scale.

That's either a blatant misspelling of the word "bonsai" or pure evil genius. :smallamused: Also, tiny, tiny heroes. Which may or may not be random strangers kidnapped off the street and shrunk by an evil wizard.

Also, I like the rare tree idea, but what would be a good, rare tree?

Dryad oaks.

Bohandas
2016-04-20, 04:53 PM
-Animated furniture

-Sentient furniture

--Specific item:
Nomnom: NG Intelligent Table of Feasting (Stronghold Builder's Guidebook p.84; Heroes' Feast 3/day) Int 19 Wis 10 Cha 19; Lesser Powers: Prestidigitation continuously, Create Water at will, item has 10 ranks in Diplomacy, Item has 10 ranks in Profession(Cook); Greater Powers: Clairvoyance 3/day, Heat Metal 3/day, Dance of the Unicorn (SC) 1/day; Special Purpose: Provide excellent dining experiences; Special Purpose Power Animate Objects (Self or touched objects only)

Price= 43200+15000+2700+3600+5000+5000+16000+11000+10000+ 81000=191500 gp

EDIT:

Dryad oaks.

Or a treant

EDIT:
-Shelves and tables enchanted to keep stuff placed on them from falling off or tipping over

-Tables (etc) made of solid amethyst or other semi-precious gems (or perhaps several different types of precious and semi-precious stones mushed into a single continuous unit with Stone Shape

-Entire scaled down mansions for wizardss familiars

-Stuff (maybe furniture, maybe clothes, maybe other) made out of liquids or gases enchanted to keep their shapes

-Items made of compressed saffron

EDIT:
-Animated pens that take dictation (probably can be treated as use activated amanuensis)

-Animated pens that also copy entire books (amanuensis + Scholar's touch would be prereqs for creation)

-The most opulently expensive thing you could make something out of in the real world would probably be weapons grade plutonium

-Torchy: N intelligent Everburning Torch; Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 10; Speech, 120 ft. vision, 60 foot darkvision, and hearing; Lesser Powers: Item has 10 ranks in Spot, Dancing Lights at will, Deathwatch continually

Price=110gp+4250+5000+2700+3600=15660gp

Aquillion
2016-04-20, 05:54 PM
A table made from the wood of some sort of rare, exotic tree. It is intricately carved with scenes of war and feasting. The edges are decorated with opals and diamonds which are enchanted to glow slightlyThis object menaces with spikes of giant cave spider chitin. It is decorated with an image of a wizard and a monk in cave lizard bone. The wizard is striking down the monk.

Bohandas
2016-04-20, 06:23 PM
-Shelves and tables enchanted to keep stuff placed on them from falling off or tipping over

In connection with this, a spiral shaped desk; It's like one of those desks that curves around (example (http://upload2.evocdn.co.uk/onlinereality/uploads/prod_img/2_13863_e.jpg)), but the steep spiral shape allows it to go around more than 360 degrees (without any space warping shenanigans) and the anti-toppling enchantment prevents everything from falling over/rolling off due to it's steep slope. Some kind of adjustable height chair is required to go with it so that the user can reach all heights and tiers of the desk

EDIT:
A quilt made out of items shrunk using the "clothlike composition" version of Shrink Item

Jay R
2016-04-20, 06:43 PM
You want to find the wizard/furniture maker who has researched spells for absolute comfort and luxury.

You never actually touch the bed, it has a permanent Levitate spell that operates on whatever is above it.

An "Endure Elements" kind of spell that keeps you at a perfect temperature.

A permanent illusion spell on the wall that can provide entertainment (a bard's story? a play?) on command.

A chair for guests that automatically reads their thoughts for you.

sktarq
2016-04-20, 07:58 PM
For some more "Mid-Luxury" type ideas

Bedclothes made from wild dropped or wild shorn wool of rare creatures like Qiviut (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qiviut) or Vicuna (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicu%C3%B1a) for real world examples

Trained wood furniture. In the real world (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32977012) it is normally done with fast growing softwoods but in yours oaks and mahogany would be something to see.

use spun sugar as a visual base for spun glass and crystal materials for "everburning torches" or the sand to glass sculptures created by the artisan's pet behir

Odd silks. Sure spider is a good one but so are moths that have dazling effect like the Tenebrous worm, Luna Moth etc

Use Roper glue instead of Unicorn

Extraplanar normal stuff. Green veined basalt from the first layer of Hell? Well it makes good counter-tops and anybody who is anybody in that town knows that its fire resistant properties are great in the kitchen and bread rolled out on it always has that extra "zing" Or the Wood from trees only found in the Beastlands. Sure Celestial Silver is normally no different than regular silver on a numbers basis (grants no bonuses without magic) but it blue cast marks your tableware as special.

Objects with Animate Object or Invisible Hands enchanted into them so they do their job on command.

A rag enchanted with Invisibility, Animate Object, and the Prestidigitation of Clean and/or Mend

The use of a permanent Major Image as art

The use of consumables like incense, cosmetics, perfumed hair wax cones, etc where you have to buy it again soon as you use it up. And things like incense resins can be fabulously expensive (even in the real world) coming from bugs, desert trees, dragon blood trees (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_cinnabari), etc. And you could go more fantastic than our world with Ki-Rin droppings, Trees of mastic that only grow from the graves of Janni, Siren Spit, Satyr Sweat, Nymph Hair, or Crushed Undead (vampire blood based cosmetic solutions! Keep those wrinkles away forever! At the local alchemist near you!),

Also things that have a fixed natural supply could become very expensive as in this city the number of people who could buy it at the normal price would be very high (increasing demand) but the supply is still fixed. Thus the cost will rise. And it no has more status attached to it if there is competition for something. Where having the connections to be able to buy items that never make it to the open market would be a stronger showing of power than mere price. So pearls that are not really much more beautiful than normal but are recognizable as coming from a specific place (requiring a specific water and oyster species combo for example) that can only produce so many a year (and are not reproducible) could have a price far far beyond what the objects themselves would elicit.

Bohandas
2016-04-20, 08:28 PM
-Self-repairing fabrics (creation prerequisite: mending or make whole)

-Even more self repairing books; you can rip 'em to pieces and if you mush the pieces together they'll be fine (prereqs mending, amanuensis, and secret page)

-Barbecue grill fueled by actual pieces of the sun (I stole this one from an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force)

EDIT:

-Oil lamps with unlimited fuel

goto124
2016-04-21, 07:39 AM
Floating/flying chairs that take you everywhere. Why get up from your mighty throne?

Upside-down tables, chairs, fireplaces, chandeliers, trophies, you name it. Reverse gravity for the whole home!

Animated paintings you can even talk to. What, Harry Potter had that stuff.

Also, tiny, tiny heroes. Which may or may not be random strangers kidnapped off the street and shrunk by an evil wizard.

New campaign idea :smallbiggrin:

MrZJunior
2016-04-21, 02:31 PM
That's either a blatant misspelling of the word "bonsai" or pure evil genius.

I blame auto correct! Though the idea of a guard bonsai has some potential.

The Fury
2016-04-21, 02:54 PM
What about magic stuff?

This reminds me of a coffee table that Nicola Tesla supposedly owned-- it was an iron slab which between large metal pegs, the slab was levitated by means of an electromagnet. I almost don't care if it was real, that's the coolest table I've ever heard of!

Knaight
2016-04-21, 03:08 PM
This reminds me of a coffee table that Nicola Tesla supposedly owned-- it was an iron slab which between large metal pegs, the slab was levitated by means of an electromagnet. I almost don't care if it was real, that's the coolest table I've ever heard of!

Speaking of magnets, magnetic materials in general are likely to be pretty exotic, and it doesn't take that much sophistication for annular magnetic designs. Bottom magnet, center post, annular magnet floats above it. Maybe you have more than one of them, even. There's a lot of flexibility with magnetic furniture. Electromagnets are even more exotic. For instance:

Floating bed: A whole bunch of magnets are attached with thin wires to a repulsive magnet at the bottom and each other, with some slack. Bedding is then lain on top of this, and it functions much like a water bed.

Rising stairs: A bunch of magnetized steps are supported by a central pole, which passes through an electromagnetic plate. A command word electrifies the bottom plate, which repulses each step up to its maximum extent, forming a stair case. The entire apparatus could even be made to rotate, so that you have what is normally a flat platform in the middle of a room, but which can rise into a number of different stair cases connecting different landings.

Āmesang
2016-04-21, 03:17 PM
Oh! Moon rocks! Stuff could be made of moon rocks!
True; although what I meant was that Faerūn's moon's population is utterly decadent. It's not good if it's not good enough.

I have a book about Tesla's patents. Patents… or spellbook? :smallamused:

Gildedragon
2016-04-21, 03:39 PM
Dragonfire-sculpted glass, opal, obsidian or steel
Solidified air
Stabilized shadowstuff
still-living wood
high artisanship (not necesarily barroque and loaded, but also in a minimalist or transitory sense (wabi sabi) or in being very delicate)
weathered obdurium/adamantine block/boulder
opal filigree
gemstone marquetry
living creatures as furniture
Shapesand crafted out of gold/gemstone dust
glass so clear it is invisible but for its internal scintilations

Seren pulp books

diamond-fueled fireplace

a hyperdimentional object d'art

adamantine or mithral or platinum or glassteel thread cloth

Bohandas
2016-04-21, 04:40 PM
-Furniture with no craftsman. These pieces are part 0f an ontological paradox/stable time loop. Technically these are rented; they'll need to be teturned to the facility some time in the future so that they can send them to you in the past. They may also be made of a material that doesn't occur anywhere.

-Stuff made of the shed skins of nagas

-Device similar to Instant Fortress, but it turns into a fancy house instead of a fort

EDIT:

-Bricks made from mud from the paraelemental plane of mud and ooze and/or clay from the elemental plane of earth.

The Fury
2016-04-21, 05:54 PM
Scanning through the thread, I saw posts about furniture that's self-repairing, so how 'bout a house that's self-cleaning? Unless you want to show off your wealth by hiring a top-notch housekeeping staff.

Also how 'bout a fountain in the opening foyer of your elegant mansion? Not only is it a piece of furniture that serves no purpose but to make you look rich, but if it were enchanted with Bless Water it might actually be useful if there's a zombie attack or some jerk invited a vampire to your dinner party.

Bohandas
2016-04-21, 07:49 PM
Yes! Self-cleaning everything

Also. Objects enchanted to be weightless so they just hang wherever you let go of them at. (See 1001 Cheap Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479547-1001-Cheap-Magic-Items-(Let-s-come-up-with-some)&p=20591378&postcount=12#post20591378))

Also. Shoes, cookies, and toys imported from Arvandor

Also. Cows genetically engineered/magically altered to be sofa shaped so you can have a living leather sofa

Also. Rope and wigs made from the hair of titans and demigods. (edit: also from hair shaved from unicorn tails)

Also. One of those over-engineered Japanese toilets

EDIT:
Also. Walls made of magically hardened butterfly wings

EDIT:
Also. Griffin feather pillows

Gildedragon
2016-04-22, 12:20 AM
suggestion against self cleaning stuff: you want to show you can afford to pay people or for automatons to clean your stuff for you.

on the luxury as conspicuous consumption

intricate furniture made out of expensive materials that disintegrates after a few days (or cloth that does so)

wines made from necromantic grapes; must be picked in the dark of the night, and throughout the extraction, fermentation, aging, and bottling, the grapes are never exposed to light or positive energy; the bottle is made of fused darksand, the wine itself is sweet, with a faint taste of rot and time; the liquid is nearly black, with bright lavender tones, only a couple bottles are made each decade.

Bohandas
2016-04-22, 01:00 AM
* +2 Seeking Distance golf driver

* Wallpaper is spellbook pages

* People leather

* Moulded ground beef + Flesh to Stone = fancy marble statue

* Reduced size (and sometimes intelligence) pet breeds/versions of magical creatures (look up fluffy unicorns and puffy griffins)

*Intelligent game table with at will prestidigitation ability (allowing conjuring of game pieces and boards and movement of game pieces)

The Fury
2016-04-22, 01:56 AM

Naw, I'd prefer one that functions like a normal toilet but with overwrought baroque styling. Like it was made for the palace of Versailles or something. Definitely enchanted to be self-cleaning.

goto124
2016-04-22, 02:15 AM
Furniture that doesn't hurt when you stub your toe on them.

Why didn't I think of this earlier?

Have been to Japan. Can confirm they're great stuff.

Storm_Of_Snow
2016-04-22, 05:39 AM
*Intelligent game table with at will prestidigitation ability (allowing conjuring of game pieces and boards and movement of game pieces)
I planned something similar as a map display table, with illusions to project and some way of reading new maps that are placed on top of it.

My thoughts:
All of the fireplaces burn woods that release a pleasant fragrance, and is only found on the other side of the world. And there's different fragrances for different rooms.

All of the bed sheets, curtains and upholstery fabrics have thin strips of flowers woven in, and once the fragrance has worn off, they're discarded and replaced with new freshly woven ones.

If they hunt, their saddles, tack, riding boots and so on are made from rare animal leathers.

Blocks of ice in warm climates - freshly imported from the polar regions and magically preserved until they're required.

Democratus
2016-04-22, 07:48 AM
Dryad oaks.

A bed made from a Dryad oak, with the dryad still trapped within.

A perfectly evil entertainment for the BBEG who has everything.

Bohandas
2016-04-23, 01:14 AM
-Balls for sporting events made from taxidermied and possibly magically reinforced animals. Like a slightly macabre Wonderland croquet game

-Table legs used to be horse legs

-Houseplant has it's real leaves covered in gold leaf

-Gold flakes/dust mixed in the food

-Fancy Marble stable

-Heating element is trained ash rat

-Silver cauldron/cookpot

EDIT:
-It's been pointed out to me that burnt out ioun stone + continual light = hands free torch

EDIT:

-For the evil consumer, "Cruelty Plus" products, made from animals that have, in addition to the standard factory farm treatment, been subjected to daily beatings, burnings, whippings, and cuttings completely unrelated to increasing output

Bohandas
2016-04-25, 05:07 PM
-Magic Scroll wallpaper

-Partially reanimated tiger skin or bear skin rug

EDIT:

-Back scratcher is a taxidermied lion's leg

EDIT:

-Marble doghouse

Bohandas
2016-04-28, 07:08 AM
Everything is great, minus the Unicorn and Pegasus glue. My guy worships Lurue and has a pet Unicorn.

Also, I will offer the money ideas to my DM tomorrow.

So how did this all work out, by the way?

-------------------------------------------------

Also, some more ideas:

-Sofa is mimic hireling

-Rapper jewelry on the statues

-Windows made of translucent gems

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-04-29, 02:15 PM
Items carved by the last master of the ancient Dragonesian tradition, currently kept in your private soundproof basement.

Bohandas
2016-05-01, 10:35 PM

Boardy McGameface: Intelligent Table of Feasting (Stronghold Builder's Guidebook p.84; Heroes' Feast 3/day) Int 19 Wis 10 Cha 19; Lesser Powers: Prestidigitation continuously, Dancing Lights at will, Ghost Sound at will item has 10 ranks in Diplomacy, item has 10 ranks in Perform(Acting), item has 10 ranks in Sense Motive; Greater Powers: Minor Image at will

Price= 43200 + 15000 + 3,600 + 3,600 + 3,600 + 5,000 + 5,000 + 5,000 + 44,000 = 118000 gp

I planned something similar as a map display table, with illusions to project and some way of reading new maps that are placed on top of it.

Mapy McMapface: Intelligent Greater Map of Tactics (Stronghold Builder's Guidebook p.80); Int 16 Wis 16 Cha 10; Speech, telepathy; 120 ft. darkvision and hearing; Lesser Powers: Lay of the Land 3/day, Scholar's Touch 3/day, Minor Image 3/day; Greater Powers: Locate Creature 3/day

Price 36000 + 9000 + 1,100 + 1100 + 6500 + 30000 = 83700 gp

EDIT:
And I'm still waiting to hear more about that campaign

Beleriphon
2016-05-02, 12:24 PM
(I think the ketchup thing is a reference to something but I don't know what. I could potentially build a fort purely out of Dijon ketchup bottles, yes.)

SILENCE!!!

. . .

mohagony

The ketchup reference is to the Bare Naked Ladies song If I Had A Million Dollars where they reference buying a lot of ketchup, fancy ketchup, like dijon ketchup.

Bohandas
2016-05-03, 02:31 PM
-Fancy sarcophagous, gravestone, or mausoleum that casts Speak With Dead and/or Contact Other Plane

-IIRC Greyhawk canon mentions the archmage Zagyg researching a way to construct buildings from fire, air, or water where normal buildings would be built of earth.

-Solid gold/silver/copper/other precious metal items enchanted to be partially transparent (at least on the outside; perhaps gradually increasing in opacity towards the interior), so that it can be visibly seen that the item is solid gold, rather than just gold plate or gold leaf

-Indoor plumbing. If other parts of the world already have Roman indoor plumbing, then modern indoor plumbing. If there;s already modern indoor plumbing then pipe in other things in addition to water; running milk, running chili, air, earth, fire, smoke, alcohol, ox blood for your god's shrine.

goto124
2016-05-04, 10:25 AM
- The Prefects' Bathroom from Harry Potter. Fills up in no time at all for its size, and foams up just as quickly. Many types of magical foams and bubbles, all coming from a hundred gold taps surrounding the bathtub.

Gildedragon
2016-05-04, 02:22 PM
- The Prefects' Bathroom from Harry Potter. Fills up in no time at all for its size, and foams up just as quickly. Many types of magical foams and bubbles, all coming from a hundred gold taps surrounding the bathtub.

Alternatively it LOOKS like the Prefects' Bathroom but for a small plaque (Search DC 20) that reads "Made by Bergholt S. Johnson"

braveheart
2016-05-04, 02:38 PM
A sphere of floating water (may or may not have a highly decorated ornate base made of semiprecious/precious metals or gems) that continuously casts a water breathing spell (whatever you think is nice) on anything inside the sphere. It is also always exactly the temperature that would make the being inside of it most comfortable.

nedz
2016-05-04, 02:46 PM
Don't need furniture at all.

Just have a bound Djinn slave. Have it form itself into a chair, a bed or a table - whatever.

Also it can carry you upstairs, do the cleaning, laundry, whatever.

And fulfil your wildest desires - well three times a day.

Actually you might need several - if you have guests over, or just want to use a chair and a table at the same time.

JohnnyCancer
2016-05-14, 04:45 PM
Mithril hinges, they never squeak or get stuck. Aging barrels for liquor made from Ents.

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-15, 09:56 AM
That's either a blatant misspelling of the word "bonsai" or pure evil genius. :smallamused: Also, tiny, tiny heroes. Which may or may not be random strangers kidnapped off the street and shrunk by an evil wizard..

Banzai tree: the miniature beauty of the bonsai tree combined with the constant refrain, "banzai! Banzai! Banzai!" from the constant rustling of its tiny leaves. Clearly magical, possibly highly annoying. Probably a receiving room plant while your guests and callers wait on your pleasure. Set them up to alternate chanting with a different species of miniature plant that repeats your character's name.

More seriously, the hallway of infinite doors. Each door opens to a different location anywhere in the world (or multiverse, if you're adventurous and don't mind interplanar marauders from time to time.) the hallway is as long as it needs to be. Alternatively, a hub of such hallways, each wing themed however you like: "the best bakeries," "favorite wineries," "fondest alone time places," what you.

The elemental bath. From the plane of water only the finest water, with or without the equivalent of Epsom salts. Heated to perfection by heat from the plane of fire. Command words to cause a wonderful hot steam bath effect. Possibly something that causes tamed water elementals to be heated to the perfect temperature that will wash your back--or wherever--for you. Likewise a warm air elemental that will dry you and maybe even with some skill at hairdressing for a stylish wind blown look. Possibly earth elemental masseuses, but I might be a little leery of getting my back pummeled by a two ton masseuse.

I'm big on enslaving/taming/contracting elementals. I suspect I'd die in a most horrific fashion eventually.

goto124
2016-05-15, 10:13 AM
Possibly earth elemental masseuses, but I might be a little leery of getting my back pummeled by a two ton masseuse.

I'm big on enslaving/taming/contracting elementals. I suspect I'd die in a most horrific fashion eventually

, from getting your back pummeled by a two ton masseuse.

MrZJunior
2016-05-15, 01:11 PM
Furniture made by intelligent rats, the carving is just so intricate. It would also take forever to make one piece so it would be quite valuable.

Gildedragon
2016-05-15, 02:41 PM
Wood or bone furniture that has been allowed to petrify Or, even better, fossilize into opal

Bohandas
2016-05-15, 03:01 PM
-Flameless forge that makes use of Heat Metal and [Ghorus Toth's] Metal Melt

-Flying chair or sofa so you never have to get up

-Building walls are all walls of force

Bohandas
2016-06-13, 08:24 AM
*All the stone portions of the building - walls, fireplace, etc - are from the pelts of earth element templated animals

*everything menaces with spikes of quartz

*oxygen bar supplied with o2 by means of air-element template chicken farm

EDIT:
*condiments from other planes. Djinn mustard.

Bohandas
2016-11-25, 03:17 AM
What happened to this campaign? I'm curious to know.

Anyway...

*A narghile connected to the paraelemental plane of smoke

*Tubular mattress enchanted to so that gravity is redirected outward so you can roll arou d and around and around and although you may eventually wind up on the top looking down you'll never fall off

*What initially appears to be a stained glass window is actually made out of gemstones

*Decanter of endless wine

*Ice sculptures made out of holy water

*Waterbed filled with holy water

*Waterbed filled with wine

*Waterbed filled with water-element templated animals

*petals of rare flowers as a filling for pillows

*beer-drinking-hat type thing, but with fine wine.

*pancake toppings distilled from the blood of treants

*Doorknob is a giant pearl

Ibraoum
2016-11-27, 08:45 AM
A tamed Mimick, it can change into any piece of furniture you wish, but you have to feed it once in a while.

Joe the Rat
2016-11-29, 09:50 AM
Furniture made by intelligent rats, the carving is just so intricate. It would also take forever to make one piece so it would be quite valuable.
Imported directly from Bad Blintz? Their clocks are quite remarkable, from what I am told.

Bohandas
2017-11-18, 02:48 AM
Pieces of glassware made out of enormous flawless sapphires instead of glass (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhZ8503WPs#t=06m52s)

RPG Factory
2017-11-22, 03:52 PM
...an enchanted mug of meed on your table... Ahhh finished... ooo.. ooo look it's full again!